#1 Old 09-23-2004, 11:08 PM
Administrator

http://www.forbes.com/2004/09/22/rl04land.html

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-25-2004, 03:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I wonder if these people ever get sick of all the **** they buy and the money they have. Some of the people on that list disgust me.
#3 Old 09-25-2004, 03:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Teresa kerry is number 389.. haha.
#4 Old 09-25-2004, 03:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm also suprised that none of the bin Laden's (Or at least bin Laden's that still have the family name, maybe some of them married out of the name) are on the list.
#5 Old 09-25-2004, 03:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post

I'm also suprised that none of the bin Laden's (Or at least bin Laden's that still have the family name, maybe some of them married out of the name) are on the list.

Uh, you might want to look at the title of the list again.

#6 Old 09-25-2004, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I wonder if these people ever get sick of all the **** they buy and the money they have. Some of the people on that list disgust me.

I'd never get sick of having a bunch of money. It'd be fun.
#7 Old 09-25-2004, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

Uh, you might want to look at the title of the list again.

I'd imagine out of the 20-somewad kids that Mr. bin Laden managed to pump out (Well, were they all really his? The world may never know...) at least one of them would be a U.S. resident, and most of the bin Laden's are in buisness with plenty of money.
#8 Old 09-25-2004, 05:01 PM
Banned

Quote:

I'd imagine out of the 20-somewad kids that Mr. bin Laden managed to pump out (Well, were they all really his? The world may never know...) at least one of them would be a U.S. resident, and most of the bin Laden's are in buisness with plenty of money.

Well, then you imagined wrong, huh? Plus, the individual holdings of many of his kids wouldn't be that high overall. That is of course not relevant, as they aren't US citizens.
#9 Old 09-25-2004, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I wonder if these people ever feel bad knowing they have more money than they could ever spend while millions of people worldwide and even in their own country can barely survive. I mean, it's nice to be rich, but there's really only so much you can spend, so what good can come of hoarding it?
#10 Old 09-25-2004, 05:26 PM

A lot of the folks on that list a very charitable and involved in their communities giving away millions in either money or items. It's not correct to assume that just because they are rich means that they are stingy thoughtless people.
#11 Old 09-25-2004, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjane View Post

I mean, it's nice to be rich, but there's really only so much you can spend, so what good can come of hoarding it?

I think we'll find out in another 25-50 years when they own everything, including our government.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#12 Old 09-25-2004, 05:49 PM

Bill Gates-World's biggest philanthropist also devoting $27 billion to good deeds. Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation fights infectious diseases (hepatitis B, AIDS), funds vaccine development, helps high schools.

Paul G. Allen-His Paul G. Allen Family Foundation has donated heavily to education, art and science causes.

Pierre M Omidyar-His Omidyar Network invests in microloans to small business owners in developing economies and in open-source software. Once promised to donate all but 1% of wealth to philanthropy. Now says he will use his entire fortune to "do good."

Eli Broad-Big arts collector, benefactor: recently gave $60 million to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.

Gordon E. Moore-Moore would be worth twice as much, but in 2000 he donated half his Intel stake to charity-environmental causes and education, including $300 million to his alma mater.
#13 Old 09-25-2004, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

A lot of the folks on that list a very charitable and involved in their communities giving away millions in either money or items. It's not correct to assume that just because they are rich means that they are stingy thoughtless people.

I said nothing about rich people being stingy or thoughtless. Putting words into other people's mouths is not correct. Nor was I suggesting that they should give it all away- many of them earned if after all.

I have no doubt that they give to charities, but I wonder if being how being so filthy rich affects them emotionally. Because I'm not rich, but sometimes I feel kind of greedy when I see how many other people live.

Bill Gates- 48 billion-27 billion= 21 billion left

Paul G. Allen- 20 billion-heavy donations= probably a few billion left

Pierre Omidyar- sounds great

Eli Broad- 6 billion- 60 million= 5 billion, 940 million left

Gordon Moore- 7.6 billion/2= 3.8 billion left
#14 Old 09-25-2004, 06:20 PM

Quote:

I said nothing about rich people being stingy or thoughtless. Putting words into other people's mouths is not correct.

I didn't say you did. Hell, looking back at the post I didn't even quote you. I'm just making a general statement towards the tone of some of the posts in the thread. No more no less.
#15 Old 09-25-2004, 06:36 PM
Banned

Quote:

I wonder if these people ever feel bad knowing they have more money than they could ever spend while millions of people worldwide and even in their own country can barely survive. I mean, it's nice to be rich, but there's really only so much you can spend, so what good can come of hoarding it?

I've known some wealthy people who felt very guilty having a lot of money, so much so that they couldn't really enjoy it, but I've also known plenty more who really didnt give a damn. Having a lot of money seems to make some people very insular and gives them a sense of protection from whats really going on in the world. Personally, I dont know how they can live with themselves, but I guess how a person deals with being wealthy depends on their personality and what kind of background they come from.
#16 Old 09-25-2004, 06:45 PM

Isn't everyone though a money whore at one level or another? I don't understand why people hate so much on people that have money. I get that sometimes because people perceive that I have more money than I do (I spend my money wisely and understand finances/financing/investing better than the average Joe). Why hate someone that has more money than you? Especially someone you don't even know.
#17 Old 09-26-2004, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmmm...I'm no psychologist to the rich and famous, but I would imagine that the ruling elite are largely as caugh up in "the system" as we are. The logic of the game dictates that they profit as much as possible and reinvest the vast majority of their earnings in order to stay competitive. Perhaps this leads to a strange paranoia of losing it all in a moment...but this is all idle speculation...

ebola
#18 Old 09-26-2004, 06:50 PM

As a side note, the more successful I become sometimes, the more fear I have of hitting bottom. Money does not make the man (or woman).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page