Has anyone successfully applied to grad school? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-20-2004, 07:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I am working on it now and its driving me INSANE. I have a November 1st early decision deadline that I'm trying to meet and its stressing me out to an insane degree. I've got all these forms that want my GPA, and I don't have a GPA because my college didn't give grades, or GPAs. My personal statement is going nowhere fast. One of the three people I was going to use for letters of recommendation hasn't returned my emails (and I saw her at Whole Foods this summer and said to let her know if I needed a letter and she'd write me one, and yet??). I have no idea what the date of my GRE was to get my scores re-sent, I have to call them and get on them to find it for me. Everything is just AHHH!!!

So please, someone tell me that it is possible to apply to graduate school on time, and actually get admitted!! And all this is worth the trouble!!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-20-2004, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I did it. Twice! The application process is a pain, but the way I dealt with it was just to be very methodical.

Get in touch with your college administration and ask if they have a proceedure in lieu of grades for documenting your academic record. Surely other people have had to include their transcripts in graduate school applications and so they must have some way of documenting how you did.

As far as getting reccomendations, it may seem awkward, but you have to keep reminding people who you have already asked. Some professors are very busy, and some are just flakey, and they probably just forgot. I know that I've forgotten about student requests for letters of rec. before and I don't mind at all when they bug me about it.

As for your personal statement, just do the best you can and make sure to get feedback from people whose judgement you trust before revising and sending it out.

Double check that you've included everything they ask for, and then just cross your fingers! Good luck!
#3 Old 09-20-2004, 11:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm in a similar position...my school doesn't give grades either so I have to send out my billion-page narrative evals. Don't worry too much--lots of people who've gone to my college are in grad school now. (Where did you go, BTW?)

At least you've already taken GRE. I am SO bad at math and I'm considering only applying to the programs on my list that don't require GRE...

What kind of program are you applying to?
#4 Old 09-21-2004, 07:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

I'm in a similar position...my school doesn't give grades either so I have to send out my billion-page narrative evals. Don't worry too much--lots of people who've gone to my college are in grad school now. (Where did you go, BTW?)

At least you've already taken GRE. I am SO bad at math and I'm considering only applying to the programs on my list that don't require GRE...

What kind of program are you applying to?

I went to Sarah Lawrence. There are some sort of grades on file they send out on transcripts, so you don't have to send your page long evaluations!! (I don't even know where they all are...)

My GREs weren't great, but they weren't awful. I was in the 80+% for everything, and I am just so lousy at tests and it stressed me out so much, I did it the once, and didn't do it again!!

I am applying to a masters in social work program, so hopefully they won't care about my GREs too much!!

#5 Old 09-21-2004, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay.. moving right along... I got confirmation from my two professors that they could write a letter for me and dropped off the forms. I got my transcript request in (and paid for), I got my GRE scores resent (and paid for), my friend emailed me back about what she wrote for GPA on her apps (either N/A or she made it up. lol)! I feel a hair bit better, but still frazzled.

#6 Old 09-21-2004, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

you can do it! yeah, i did it and now i'm in grad school. my deadline was jan 1 for all of them (or a bit later) which is good because i did the majority of everything on christmas break (i applied while still in school). take heart--i got 4 apps done in less than two weeks. luckily most of my rec. people were great and reliable. one, however, gave me a sheet of paper with ttwo sentences scrawled in illegible writing on it. i was like, uh--this probably isn't enough/ needs to look more professional. sigh. GRE i did the summer before apps and subject GRE i did in november and did terribly because i had no time to study. luckily i still got in.

you'll do fine!
#7 Old 09-21-2004, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I applied and am currently doing my Master's. My application process was a little different though because I am in Canada. I was very fortunate to have no problem with getting my transcript or getting references. The only problem that I had was with my personal statement. I am a slow writer, so it took me a really long time to write it, and then when I finally finished it, I accidently closed it without saving it!!!
#8 Old 09-21-2004, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

catswym -- this one is due so early because i'm applying early decision! Once I decided on my first choice, and looked at the prices on applications, and the stress of doing them all, and the advantage of applying for scholorships/financial aids/assistantships if you apply early, I thought it would be the best route. If I don't get in, I'll know before other applications are due, and I can still apply to more places for next year come February. This one application, when it gets right down to everything including transcripts, grade reports, application fees etc... is going to cost me close to $100. (And this is a state school! you'd think it'd be cheaper) I'd rather not spend $500 on applications to five school when it could go towards tuition and books next year.

#9 Old 09-21-2004, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I applied completely on the spur of the moment. My clarinet professor told me in December during my jury that he heard of a school that was medium sized and had an assistantship he thought I would qualify for. I thought about it over break and Jan 2, I decided to go for it. I had about two weeks to get the app in and had to plead with my professors to speedily write letters of recommendation. I also had to throw together and audition and take the GRE exam. Did I mention that I was also student teaching that semester? I almost had a nervous breakdown, but I made was accepted to the school and got the assistantship (don't ask me how). It is a lot of work and I would definitely recommend allowing a bit more time than I did .
#10 Old 09-21-2004, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm glad things seem to be moving along for you! What school are you applying to?
#11 Old 09-21-2004, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

SUNY Albany (SUNY = State University of New York)

#12 Old 09-21-2004, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

catswym -- this one is due so early because i'm applying early decision! Once I decided on my first choice, and looked at the prices on applications, and the stress of doing them all, and the advantage of applying for scholorships/financial aids/assistantships if you apply early, I thought it would be the best route. If I don't get in, I'll know before other applications are due, and I can still apply to more places for next year come February. This one application, when it gets right down to everything including transcripts, grade reports, application fees etc... is going to cost me close to $100. (And this is a state school! you'd think it'd be cheaper) I'd rather not spend $500 on applications to five school when it could go towards tuition and books next year.

i hear that. i forget how much my applications cost me...maybe $75 each and i did four. i think you're making the right decision to just apply to the one first.

good luck and let us know.
#13 Old 09-21-2004, 10:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm taking the GRE next month. I'm already in grad school but right now I'm certification only and I want to be switched to the master's program. I'm taking the classes, acing them, but I still have to take that goddamn stupid test. What does it prove anyway? That you can do highschool math and remember a bunch of vocabulary words no one uses? Yeah that has so much to do with my graduate work. Oh wait, no it doesn't.
#14 Old 09-22-2004, 08:31 AM
Veggie Regular

im doing this soon too was starting the whole process then when got that "oh my geeese im going to die" feeling decided to put it off till im out of school, but there are some good resources out there on how to write a good application incl the personal statement. this is one that i know is excellent although it may be a little to focused on psych for a you as you are applying into social work (granted similar areas, similar reqirements) its called

Graduate School: Winning Strategies for getting in with or without good grades. published in 1997 Dave Mumby

also check out these links

http://dave.burell.net/guide/references.html

http://ksu.edu/artsci/scholarship/essay.htm

hope that helps.

Sarah
#15 Old 09-22-2004, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPrincess View Post

im doing this soon too was starting the whole process then when got that "oh my geeese im going to die" feeling decided to put it off till im out of school, but there are some good resources out there on how to write a good application incl the personal statement. this is one that i know is excellent although it may be a little to focused on psych for a you as you are applying into social work (granted similar areas, similar reqirements) its called

Graduate School: Winning Strategies for getting in with or without good grades. published in 1997 Dave Mumby

also check out these links

http://dave.burell.net/guide/references.html

http://ksu.edu/artsci/scholarship/essay.htm

hope that helps.

Sarah

Haha. I have that book. Actually if you look in Krista's grad school thread, I just offered it to her as I'm about done with it. It wasn't terribly helpful for me, but it did have some pointers. I applied for phd programs in developmental psych a few years back and got rejected. Apparently I wasn't old enough, and didn't have work experience, but I couldn't get work experience with the degree... which i couldn't get without the experience... and so on and so forth.

#16 Old 09-22-2004, 07:20 PM
Jes
Veggie Regular

I applied and was admitted to grad school with absolutely crap college grades. I'm studying counseling psychology and probably got in as a result of my community service and my essay. You totally can do it! You have so much to say here that is wonderful and you clearly care so much for others. I think you'd be invaluable within the profession. I am always willing to help with revising and editing essays, btw.

ETA: I was also on the admittance committee last year, so I have a clue as to what mental health programs look for in candidates. Feel free to PM me.
#17 Old 09-22-2004, 10:55 PM
Veggie Regular

The process was a pain for me, too. The worst was taking the GRE. The actual test itself wasn't that bad, but the studying and anxiety leading up to it was no fun at all.

Letters of recommendation... I finally had to write one of them myself, and get the supposed letter-writer to sign it. Otherwise it would never have gotten done. I know that sounds unethical and maybe it is... but I started seeing the application process as a series of hoops I had to jump through, and at that point I wasn't above sidestepping a stupid hoop for the sake of being done with it. Later I found out that this happens all the time. *shrug*
#18 Old 10-17-2004, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I took the GRE and did more poorly than I thought I would.

I talked to two different sociology advisors, and they both reccomended totally different schools.

I am lacking direction...there is too much I'm interested in and I dunno if any of it is a viable area in reasearch...signs are pointing to no...yeah, I dunno if this is gonna get off the ground...

ebola
#19 Old 10-17-2004, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep. Applying was a pain too. I got my first masters degree at a private school and that application process was fairly easy. This second masters degree program I'm in now though was a pain in the ass to apply for though. Everytime I thought I was done they said they were missing something else or didn't recieve the transcripts from one of my schools or something.

Now that the app process is over and classes have started, things are much easier. For all of you that are stressed out about the app process, don't worry. Things will smooth out soon!

Good luck to those of you who are waiting to hear back from schools.
#20 Old 10-17-2004, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm just about to take the plunge on this one. I just have a few more things to fill out and iron out a few typos and what not in my personal statement, and hopefully I'll get to the post office on Tuesday.

I am so sick of people telling me that I have nothing to worry about it, and that I'll do fine, and yet they have no viable information that would lead them to make this decision. I am almost 100% certain I will be rejected. I am not entirely sure why I'm doing this at all when it seems like all its going to do is end up making me feel horrible about myself. I guess I just can't continue to live like I am and hope for more...

#21 Old 10-28-2004, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay...so I figured out that my GREs were actually decent...and i got my analytical writing section back...pimped that **** (or whatever misogynist cliche you'd like). With anti-capitalist rhetoric, no less.

ebola

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page