Anyone Esle Do the Polar Bear Club Swim? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-02-2003, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

As one of the crazy traditions in the world, I'm just curious if anyone else partakes in the annual New Year's Day "Polar bear Club" where you gather at the Ocean, strip down to your swimsuits and jump in the ocean.

Trust me, its cold.

But, its also quite refreshing and usually the water is warmer than the ambient air temperature is at the time. This year was no exception. The water was a crisp 6 degrees celsius (42.8 F) and the air temperature was 2 degrees celsius (35.6 F). It's much colder getting out of the water cause you really feel the cold then. Anyway, attached is a newspaper clipping of the local festivities here. (About 60 of us gathered this year).
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-02-2003, 09:42 PM
Veggie Regular

all i can say is:

BRRRRRRR

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#3 Old 01-02-2003, 09:44 PM
Administrator

All I can say is...

DURRRRR!

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#4 Old 01-02-2003, 10:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I've always wanted to do the polar bear thing. My aunt does it every year in Washington state. Living out here in the middle of the pacific ocean, there's not much point.....

Nec Aspera Terrent
#5 Old 01-03-2003, 03:36 AM

People do it here in Lake Erie. I wouldn't get in that lake for anything though.
#6 Old 01-03-2003, 07:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Even if I wanted to, I can't bc of my cold uticaria (allergic reaction to cold tempetures). I get itchy just thinking about it! But more power to yah! Sounds like a fun tradition.
#7 Old 01-03-2003, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular

My boyfriend did it for the second year in a row, only they call it the Penquin Plunge in Jamestown, Rhode Island.

It looks like such fun with all the comradiary (sp?) and exuberance. It's a black tie affair, many of the members go in wearing a tux, or they strip down to their swim suits, but leave their bow ties on. My bf wore his uncles powder blue prom tux, circa 1973. It was too funny.

It's used as a fund raiser for the Special Olympics.

For a minute, while watching them, I thought "Wow, I want to do that". But then I remembered what a wimp I am about extremely cold temperatures.

All I can say is, good for you, you brave warrier!
#8 Old 01-03-2003, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I forgot to add that it's a great way to jump start your immune system. I'll bet your complexion looked great after you got out.
#9 Old 01-03-2003, 01:35 PM
Banned

A few guys from work are plunging off the South Jersey shore for a children's charity. If I could afford a day off to dive and a week of to go into detox (have you seen the South Jersey water??) I'd do it. Seems like fun.
#10 Old 01-07-2003, 06:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I've always wanted to do this. Maybe next year I will take the plunge. Everyday is a polar bear swim for me, since my truck doesn't have heat. Not too big a deal until it gets below 20F and my breath freezes to the windshield. Perhaps this is my training.
#11 Old 01-07-2003, 09:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I have always wanted to since I used to take cold showers every morning to help wake up. This had more of an efect in California then in Oregon where I went to school. It still sounds like fun though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page