• 4 Post By Naturebound
  • 2 Post By skinnieminnie
  • 1 Post By Jenn2
  • 1 Post By Beautiful Joe
  • 1 Post By Kiwibird08

#1 Old 04-04-2016, 07:02 AM
No flesh since 99'

Long hair and healthy vegan skin

I don't generally allow pictures of myself because I know I'm no great beauty and generally don't want it immortalized in a pic, but had my husband take a few yesterday because my mom sent me some clothes and I wanted pics of my hair. I have been growing out my hair for 13 years after getting a disastrous haircut that left me literally looking like a boy. My hair is really the only feminine thing from the neck up on me and I like it really long. It is ever so slightly damp because I had washed it in the morning (and it takes a good majority of the day to dry). I use no heat or chemical products like shampoo/conditioner/sprays ect... in it. I am currently washing it with coffee and vinegar (to darken it up a bit), but washed it with just dark beer for many years:

And if you can get over the overall appearance of my face, at least I have the healthy skin (now if only veganism could help the rest lol). Clear skin is the direct result of the vegan diet (I believe largely in part to giving up dairy). Oh and yes, I am aware I'm as pale as a corpse. That is NOT because of a vegan diet or nutritional deficiency. It is just unfortunate genetics and no amount of sitting in the sun helps, I just burn.

LedBoots, Thalassa4, Jenn2 and 2 others like this.

"The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-04-2016, 08:14 AM
Vegan since 1991

Your husband is a lucky guy. I am similarly lucky to be married to a beautiful vegan lady.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 04-04-2016 at 08:20 AM.
#3 Old 04-04-2016, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Kiwi, you are beautiful! Those aren't nice words either, I think you're very beautiful, from your face all the way down!
Your eyes are pretty symmetrical (I always have one half closed), your lips are full without being too full, your body looks perfectly proportioned!
I hope your husband finds you as attractive as I do, cause I'm not interested like that anyway...
Since you're being critical I'll say this- I remember your pictures with glasses and I thought, wow, those are really too big for her, but I do realize big glasses seem to in style, so that's just my opinion.
You look great in that skirt and top! I used to be able to wear those kinds of clothes and was probably equally hard on myself then too...
Love your looks!
#4 Old 04-04-2016, 10:12 AM
Oryzatarian

You look exactly like a really cute wiccan girl I knew in college
Wow, man... anyway...

Good job on the hair, I had long hair for 20 years and its a chore (I'm not a girl, just a hippie)
Kiwibird08 likes this.
#5 Old 04-04-2016, 01:49 PM
No flesh since 99'

Thanks for the kind words. I love my hair now, it's probably my favorite thing about myself
@Auxin - Shame you cut yours, I love long hair on men and so few are ever willing to try! My husband refuses to grow his hair out, which is a shame because he has really thick, dark hair that is a little wavy and would look great long (the kind of hair women would kill to have). I actually find having hair this long SO much easier than when I had shorter hair. It's so straight and fine now, it never tangles badly or gives me any trouble. Until it was well below my shoulders and weighed itself down, it was just a puffy mess on my head that could not even be pulled into a pony tail or braid without fly aways and drove me nuts for years.
@silva - funny you bring up my glasses. I actually wear bigger glasses to try to balance out my round face. I have another pair that are slightly smaller and more square I wear sometimes too. I've had small glasses before and they never looked quite right for my face (to me at least). I haven't got new glasses in years and have actually been debating looking at different frames, but keep putting it off because I hate shopping for stuff like that lol It was actually nice because my mom sent me several things she no longer wears (the skirt was mine, but the top was one of the things she sent, along with a few other things I didn't post pics of). I'm glad we wear about the same size because I hate shopping and gladly take cast offs.

#6 Old 04-04-2016, 04:12 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
You look exactly like a really cute wiccan girl I knew in college
Wow, man... anyway...

Off-topic, but . . .

Auxin, your post gave me a flashback to my college years as well (early 1990s):

Girls with long skirts and beads, playing Indian music at our local coffeehouse.

Girls with super short hair and silver jewelry.

Girls conducting meetings - events are in the works.

Sitting in someone's front room with other hippies and punks, cutting up vegetables for tomorrow's Food Not Bombs serving day. Watching another kid, with multiple piercings, mix spices into an enormous pot of soup on the stove.

It took me too long to meet the right girl. Worth the wait though.
LedBoots likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#7 Old 04-04-2016, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with Silva.

I don't know how you ended up with such a negative self image, but there's nothing about you that justifies it in the slightest.
David3 and ModVegan like this.
#8 Old 04-04-2016, 05:53 PM
No flesh since 99'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
I agree with Silva.

I don't know how you ended up with such a negative self image, but there's nothing about you that justifies it in the slightest.
Someone with a negative self image would not be highlighting not one but 2 things they like about themselves for no other reason than they are proud to have pretty hair and skin. I have a realistic self image (not everyone is destined to be stunningly beautiful) and accept the way I look. I just don't need/want to be told for the 500 millionth time in my life that my face is too androgynous, I should be wearing makeup to fix it and my skin is pale. Trust me, I already know and I'm sure these things would come up (they always do). Better to just nip it in the bud before someone trying to be "helpful" brings up something I just don't want to hear yet again, if you know what I mean.
LedBoots likes this.

Last edited by Kiwibird08; 04-04-2016 at 06:01 PM.
#9 Old 04-04-2016, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

You are beautiful Kiwibird! And your face is in no way androgenous! I really love your wide set eyes! And your VERY healthy diet shows for sure in your flawless skin and hair!

I used to burn easy too. For some reason when I went vegan that all stopped. I am dead serious. My theory is that I started taking more vitamin D as a vegan and somehow it protects my skin. I have cycled outside daily in summer, paddled on lakes in a canoe, even studied out in my yard, and no burn. And I am extremely fair. Doctors used to ask me if I was anemic. It's really annoying when people assume that because someone is fair. I have never been remotely anemic in my life. I think fair people look ever more striking in vibrant colored clothing.
Kiwibird08 and ModVegan like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 04-04-2016, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

If you think you're pale you should check out me and my siblings :P We're almost translucent.
Kiwibird08 likes this.
#11 Old 04-04-2016, 08:18 PM
No flesh since 99'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
You are beautiful Kiwibird! And your face is in no way androgenous! I really love your wide set eyes! And your VERY healthy diet shows for sure in your flawless skin and hair!

I used to burn easy too. For some reason when I went vegan that all stopped. I am dead serious. My theory is that I started taking more vitamin D as a vegan and somehow it protects my skin. I have cycled outside daily in summer, paddled on lakes in a canoe, even studied out in my yard, and no burn. And I am extremely fair. Doctors used to ask me if I was anemic. It's really annoying when people assume that because someone is fair. I have never been remotely anemic in my life. I think fair people look ever more striking in vibrant colored clothing.
While you couldn't tell now, I actually used to be into the whole goth/rave scene in high school. I actually sometimes sported a androgynous look deliberately. Of course, my hair was MUCH shorter then and I dressed much different and my head was in a different place. I don't consider it a bad thing, but try to look distinctly feminine now.

How interesting your skin stopped burning. I haven't tempted fate in a long time I've had some wicked sunburns in the past where I turned a shade of purple and blistered. I don't wear sunscreen or anything when I won't be out in the sun for long, but if I'll be out for more than 20/30 minutes or so, I wear protective clothes and a hat for sure. I'd be curious if these days I'd burn as easily as I used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odizzido View Post
If you think you're pale you should check out me and my siblings :P We're almost translucent.
Not even sure I can envision a shade lighter than mine. When I hold my leg up next to a white wall, they are pretty much the same color lol The good news for us very fair people is that awful fake-n-bake orange look is on the way out and fairer skin is starting to become fashionable (for the first time since what? Victorian times).
Naturebound likes this.

#12 Old 04-05-2016, 05:00 AM
Veggie Regular

You look lovely Kiwibird!
#13 Old 04-05-2016, 08:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
Someone with a negative self image would not be highlighting not one but 2 things they like about themselves for no other reason than they are proud to have pretty hair and skin. I have a realistic self image (not everyone is destined to be stunningly beautiful) and accept the way I look. I just don't need/want to be told for the 500 millionth time in my life that my face is too androgynous, I should be wearing makeup to fix it and my skin is pale. Trust me, I already know and I'm sure these things would come up (they always do). Better to just nip it in the bud before someone trying to be "helpful" brings up something I just don't want to hear yet again, if you know what I mean.
There is actually nothing androgynous about your face. If you look just at your facial features, without the hair and the body, you continue to look very much like a girly-girl. Also, many people are extremely pale - in group photos, I stand out, pretty much glowing with whiteness.

I actually don't think that there's anything to be either proud or ashamed of with respect to characteristics with which one is born, whether they be looks, intelligence, musical/athletic/etc. talents. It is what one does with the base materials that one can take pride or shame in.

My comment about your negative image of yourself isn't based on this thread, but on comments you've made about yourself (and not just about your appearance) in quite a few threads. Unfortunately, it's all too common for young women to have a negative self image. Also unfortunately, it's something no one can talk you, or anyone else out of.
skinnieminnie likes this.
#14 Old 04-05-2016, 03:12 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I'm also pale
#15 Old 04-05-2016, 04:23 PM
No flesh since 99'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

I'm also pale
I almost spit my drink LOL! That would be me at the beach lol. Even worse being next to my husband who could get a tan in Antartica in the dead of winter.
LedBoots likes this.

#16 Old 04-05-2016, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
There is actually nothing androgynous about your face. If you look just at your facial features, without the hair and the body, you continue to look very much like a girly-girl. Also, many people are extremely pale - in group photos, I stand out, pretty much glowing with whiteness.

I actually don't think that there's anything to be either proud or ashamed of with respect to characteristics with which one is born, whether they be looks, intelligence, musical/athletic/etc. talents. It is what one does with the base materials that one can take pride or shame in.

My comment about your negative image of yourself isn't based on this thread, but on comments you've made about yourself (and not just about your appearance) in quite a few threads. Unfortunately, it's all too common for young women to have a negative self image. Also unfortunately, it's something no one can talk you, or anyone else out of.
Something about the bolded part of your statement really struck me for some reason. Maybe it's this immense guilt I feel inside for all the stupid mistakes I made with my body, or because I was inflicted with several diseases that were beyond my control, though many people in society would like to blame me for them, because maybe I didn't have the perfect diet, or didn't exercise enough, or don't deal with stress too well. Or I put myself in the wrong place and did something to cause certain other people to abuse me in horrible ways. It was and is terrifying to be sick and to lose some control over one's body and even mind. Or to put your trust in someone who betrays you, and do it over and over. It's shameful. I still wish I didn't need love, encouragement, affirmation, because it is so terribly painful to be rejected and/or ignored. Maybe that's why independence was and is always such a big deal for me. And it feels so wrong to stand up and love myself and so hey everyone this is who I am like it or not! I think Kiwibird is very brave to post her pic and to share the things she DOES like about herself. I think that is really amazing and shows strength.
Shallot, Kiwibird08, Jenn2 and 1 others like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#17 Old 04-05-2016, 06:25 PM
Fellow Hummusapian

Omg, your HAIR!! Now I've had long hair before, but I have never been able to grow it past my waist. It's very pretty, including the color.

I feel like my skin has improved some since cutting out animal products. I still get acne, but my skin used to be so incredibly oily that I would have to use blotting papers once or twice a day and now it's just... normal. And I deliberately stay pale, so don't feel bad! I tan well but I've been too scared to sunbathe regularly since a sibling of mine had cancerous moles removed.

I think you look very feminine, and you don't even need makeup.
Beautiful Joe and Kiwibird08 like this.
#18 Old 04-05-2016, 07:18 PM
Beginner

Your pics are so inspiring Kiwibird - and wow - you are beautiful! Neat idea to use beer or a mix of coffee and vinegar for your hair. For some reason, it never occurred to me to use household items instead of shampoo from the store. I'm going to try it as my hair could really use some help. And I think you are on to something about improvements in skin after giving up dairy. You have lovely skin!
Kiwibird08 likes this.
#19 Old 04-06-2016, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Something about the bolded part of your statement really struck me for some reason. Maybe it's this immense guilt I feel inside for all the stupid mistakes I made with my body, or because I was inflicted with several diseases that were beyond my control, though many people in society would like to blame me for them, because maybe I didn't have the perfect diet, or didn't exercise enough, or don't deal with stress too well. Or I put myself in the wrong place and did something to cause certain other people to abuse me in horrible ways. It was and is terrifying to be sick and to lose some control over one's body and even mind. Or to put your trust in someone who betrays you, and do it over and over. It's shameful. I still wish I didn't need love, encouragement, affirmation, because it is so terribly painful to be rejected and/or ignored. Maybe that's why independence was and is always such a big deal for me. And it feels so wrong to stand up and love myself and so hey everyone this is who I am like it or not! I think Kiwibird is very brave to post her pic and to share the things she DOES like about herself. I think that is really amazing and shows strength.
What I meant is the use one puts one's talents to. For instance, does one use one's intelligence in the service of compassion versus self-centeredness, etc. - that's something we can take pride in; the intelligence by itself is a gift with which we are born, not an accomplishment. It's like feeling pride at being wealthy because one was born into a wealthy family; it's not an accomplishment, just the roll of the genetic/familial dice.

The only mistakes about which it's rational to feel guilt are the ones that hurt others. The ones that hurt ourselves are just part of the process of learning and growing. That, of course, is something that's easier said than done, for those of us with an overdeveloped sense of guilt. (I'm not saying this as a poke at you - it's something with which I have struggled all my life. Some years ago, my rational mind came to the realization that guilt about my mistakes which hurt no one but myself is not just nonproductive but rather counterproductive and can even be considered self-indulgent. Still, I have that realization hasn't completely erased my emotional reaction to my mistakes; that wiring was installed at a young age by my mother and reinforced through most of my adult life.)

Kiwibird is a very attractive young woman. It's a shame that she, and so many like her, can't see that about themselves. I'm extremely average in looks and have always been, but I too thought I was actively unattractive. Now, looking back from the age of sixty, I can see that I was merely average, and I wasted a lot of my life being self conscious about that. It's just a sad waste.
Spudulika likes this.
#20 Old 04-09-2016, 09:26 AM
No flesh since 99'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn2 View Post
Your pics are so inspiring Kiwibird - and wow - you are beautiful! Neat idea to use beer or a mix of coffee and vinegar for your hair. For some reason, it never occurred to me to use household items instead of shampoo from the store. I'm going to try it as my hair could really use some help. And I think you are on to something about improvements in skin after giving up dairy. You have lovely skin!
Just a heads up if you've been using shampoo/conditioner for a long time, it can take a while for the residues from the product to be fully stripped from your hair and for the scalp to rebalance and resume healthy oil production (i.e. your hair might be dry/frizzy or maybe a bit oily for a while until it goes back to it's natural state). But dark beer is awesome for hair, the limited amount of alcohol really strips the dirt and oil and the hops is very nourishing. After a while, your hair will shine and be super soft. It's kind of like a shampoo/conditioner combo! I've been using coffee and black tea to darken my hair lately, and when I apply it, I leave it on (wrapped up in a shower cap) for a couple hours once a week. The vinegar helps set the color. If you don't want your hair getting darker though, don't use coffee/tea in it

And cutting dairy definitely cleared up my skin. I was a long time ovo-lacto vegetarian and had always had acne but I started developing a very itchy hives-like rash that was clearly an allergic reaction to something out of the blue. I started cutting out likely "culprits" from my diet and reintroducing them, and once I got to dairy, the rash cleared and so did my acne (much to my surprise). It's what prompted me to go vegan. Now that I've looked more into it, it seems a lot of people's acne clears up when they stop dairy.
Jenn2 likes this.

#21 Old 04-09-2016, 09:36 AM
No flesh since 99'

@Naturebound - I have also been taking vitamin D3 since moving to Oregon. I "tested" your theory yesterday, as I was cleaning up our patio furniture/getting the patio ready for summer and was outside for about an hour and a half. I just wore a small sundress and no protective clothes (besides a hat). Guess what? I didn't burn! Not even slightly pink on my shoulders (which are usually the first to go in the sun). Perhaps those D-supplements do help Not that I plan to regularly spend that much time with my skin fully exposed to the sun, but it's good to know that perhaps the D supplements are doing something about that burn to a crisp if the smallest ray of sunlight touches my skin issue

#22 Old 04-10-2016, 06:11 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
Just a heads up if you've been using shampoo/conditioner for a long time, it can take a while for the residues from the product to be fully stripped from your hair and for the scalp to rebalance and resume healthy oil production (i.e. your hair might be dry/frizzy or maybe a bit oily for a while until it goes back to it's natural state). But dark beer is awesome for hair, the limited amount of alcohol really strips the dirt and oil and the hops is very nourishing. After a while, your hair will shine and be super soft. It's kind of like a shampoo/conditioner combo! I've been using coffee and black tea to darken my hair lately, and when I apply it, I leave it on (wrapped up in a shower cap) for a couple hours once a week. The vinegar helps set the color. If you don't want your hair getting darker though, don't use coffee/tea in it

And cutting dairy definitely cleared up my skin. I was a long time ovo-lacto vegetarian and had always had acne but I started developing a very itchy hives-like rash that was clearly an allergic reaction to something out of the blue. I started cutting out likely "culprits" from my diet and reintroducing them, and once I got to dairy, the rash cleared and so did my acne (much to my surprise). It's what prompted me to go vegan. Now that I've looked more into it, it seems a lot of people's acne clears up when they stop dairy.
Oh, good to know, thanks for the extra hair tips! This is very helpful! My skin had cleared up for the most part since giving up dairy as well (except for last week, which I think was from eating way too many sugary foods). It's so nice to have these bonus side-effects from the vegan lifestyle!
#23 Old 04-10-2016, 08:15 PM
Oryzatarian

It helped my skin too.
It also helped my sense of smell more than I was prepared for. Now when I'm walking my dog I can smell inside peoples homes from the sidewalk [not always a good thing but its fun half the time.]
#24 Old 04-21-2016, 11:00 AM

Kiwi, I think you are super pretty. I'm really pale too and I tend to burn to a crisp without SPF 60 on. It's pretty ridiculous, but I'll have to try the Vitamin D thing that you and Naturebound suggest. Maybe it'll help.
#25 Old 04-22-2016, 07:18 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

My wife will slap me in the face when I look at you.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page