7Likes
  • 4 Post By Beautiful Joe
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Lil' Tofu
  • 1 Post By Spudulika

#1 Old 02-24-2016, 06:01 PM
Vegan since 1991

Man to eat only potatoes for one year

An Australian man, Andrew Taylor, has vowed to eat only potatoes for one year: http://globalnews.ca/news/2497402/au...ood-addiction/ . He will be taking a B12 supplement during this attempt.

In 2010, Washington State Potato Commissioner Chris Voigt ate only potatoes for 60 days: http://www.today.com/health/60-days-...ter-2D80555614

I'm not recommending that anyone actually do this. However, Chris Voigt's 60-day potato diet improved his weight, blood glucose, and blood lipid levels.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-24-2016, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, if I were to eat only one food for a year, it would be either potatoes or tofu.
#3 Old 02-24-2016, 08:42 PM
No flesh since 99'

Is this kind of a variation on the old grapefruit diet?

Seeing as this man has a "food addiction" I don't know that it's advisable for him to get himself addicted to just potatoes as a way to fix it (instead of just eating an appropriate, balanced diet he can continue on for life). My mind just immediately goes to this episode of freaky eaters (albeit, he won't be eating them with cheese):

"The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself"
#4 Old 02-28-2016, 02:52 PM

I wonder if he will get addicted to nicotine and start smoking later lol (potatoes have a small amount of nicotine, as well as tomatoes, they are from the same family of tobacco).
#5 Old 02-28-2016, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
Well, if I were to eat only one food for a year, it would be either potatoes or tofu.
Love it lol! I think it would be sweet potato or banana for me. Wait, no... oats. Wait, homemade bread. Wait, mango. Or would it be peanut butter. Yup, that's the one lol.
Beautiful Joe likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 02-28-2016, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

man talking about mangos and such....making me hungry which sucks because I am not at home and can't make anything. All week I've hardly been able to eat well

I'd eat so many sweet potatoes, mangoes, or oats right now.
#7 Old 03-10-2016, 01:42 AM
Veggie Recycler

He has disordered eating. If he's going to do this for an entire year he should at least drink soy milk. I've read cooked potatoes with the skin and cows milk can technically save you from starvation, so if he's not even going to drink soy milk, I think he should be stopped before he hurts himself.

An entire year? Stupid is as stupid does.
#8 Old 03-10-2016, 05:13 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

From the accompanying article:

Quote:
Protein – 11 potatoes would provide only about 55 grams; fat, which is needed for key functions in the body; and vitamins A, E, B12 and calcium would be missing.
I feel for the guy: overeating is not pleasant to deal with. But I do hope his relatives and friends talk him into getting more variety in his diet, even if he IS only planning on staying with it a year.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#9 Old 03-10-2016, 10:04 PM
Happy vegan

Funny, I eat potatoes every day and my roommates were making a bet I couldn't live off of them. Interesting to see there is someone doing this! I believe the premise behind this is if he only has one food he can eat, he won't overeat as he will get tired of it. That and he wants to stick to something healthy. However, I agree it's probably better to instead focus on a lifestyle change that he can stick with. Hopefully he slowly introduces other vegetables, grains, and fruits into his diet at the end of this and doesn't end up craving and binging on all the junk he used to eat.
David3 likes this.
#10 Old 03-11-2016, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa4 View Post
He has disordered eating. If he's going to do this for an entire year he should at least drink soy milk. I've read cooked potatoes with the skin and cows milk can technically save you from starvation, so if he's not even going to drink soy milk, I think he should be stopped before he hurts himself.

An entire year? Stupid is as stupid does.
Yeh, I don't feel good about this kind 'sensationalist' veganism. It hits the headlines, it makes everyone who only eats 'plants' look nutty by association, and it reinforces some kind of acceptance for eating disordered behaviours.
David3 likes this.
#11 Old 03-11-2016, 01:33 PM

I couldn't do this. I have to have my fruits and veggies or I pay the price. If you know what I mean.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page