• 2 Post By no whey jose
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 3 Post By Poppy
  • 1 Post By Spudulika

#1 Old 02-16-2016, 08:22 AM
an irregular

Maybe its just me....

being semi negative or bitter, but does every other new person that joins this site have to come on just to advertise their awful clickbait youtube channels, blogs, survey sites, etc without contributing to anything else? I, personally would much rather just read about someone's experience going to a new restaurant, or trying a new recipe that may or may not have worked out and wow'd everyone but has nothing to gain by posting, than a boring video with some name drop in the title to attract views and only uses this site as a way to garner subscriptions.
I just find the whole thing off putting.
Purp, LedBoots, TailFin and 4 others like this.

instagram: Popcorncaptain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-16-2016, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

I am in complete agreement!
#3 Old 02-16-2016, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree. There used to be a rule about this, but with the new(ish) site management, I don't know if that rule is still in place.
Poppy, Mojo, Purp and 2 others like this.
#4 Old 02-16-2016, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Yup. I click those threads then say oh and close the tab.
Purp and no whey jose like this.
#5 Old 02-16-2016, 12:39 PM
Beginner

I would be fine with it if they became part of the group and conversed with us then mentioned the youtube channel/ blog etc but don't just come in and self promote
Mojo, Purp and no whey jose like this.
#6 Old 02-16-2016, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I wish they'd listen and get back to the 30 day member rule!
It's hard to say anything when theres no rule to back you up. I just hope people ignore them until they post as a geniune member.
We're not supposed to be an advertisement
Poppy, Purp, no whey jose and 1 others like this.
#7 Old 02-16-2016, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Yeah, I wish they'd listen and get back to the 30 day member rule!
It's hard to say anything when theres no rule to back you up. I just hope people ignore them until they post as a geniune member.
We're not supposed to be an advertisement
Can we create a rule? Is there anything stopping us? We could hold a forum vote.
Purp and jocelyn3113 like this.
#8 Old 02-16-2016, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

We should have something to back it up. I don't want to just delete things without adequate explaination. That looks dickish. A simple term length would solve those links from ever getting posted--right? Or would we still need to moderate them?
I say we do it!
I also hate when people come here to get surveys done.They're usually poorly worded and don't seem to have any use
Purp and LedBoots like this.
#9 Old 02-16-2016, 05:29 PM
No flesh since 99'

I don't get why this forum doesn't have the rule about moderators reading new members first post before making it public. Plenty of forums do that to prevent spammers. That would clear that issue up right away, as those posts would never even get posted and the spammer likely wouldn't keep at it (that or they'd try to become a contributing member). I have no issues with long time, contributing members posting their youtube/blogs though and rather enjoy some of the 'regulars'.
#10 Old 02-16-2016, 05:33 PM
Veggie Regular

When I was a moderator, all of the moderators voted when someone brought up changing or adding rules to the forum. We only needed a majority vote among the moderators.

It seems that we never used to allow all these surveys, but I can't seem to find any rules or information in the rules and guidelines regarding this. It really doesn't fit the spam definition and yet legally speaking, the surveyor does use information provided by members for their own project and possibly publicly somewhere. I really would like to see an end to these surveys. And people promoting their own sites without a lick of interest in our community. Many of these people circulate to all the other vegan/vegetarian forums on the internet and post the same links and information there and they tend to ignore any responses.
Poppy likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 Old 02-16-2016, 05:57 PM
an irregular

The surveys are atleast mentioned in the 'what is spam' section but im not sure what the consequences are and policing it would take quite alot for the mods to keep an eye on., for something that should really be a non issue abusing community etiquette.

Maybe some sort of 'soft chastising'? ......just kidding....sort of

instagram: Popcorncaptain
#12 Old 02-16-2016, 06:55 PM
Ankle Biter

Years ago, the rule was 30 days membership or 30 posts in a variety of threads before a new member could post links to anything personal. We wanted every new member to be invested in VB, not just use Vb as a way to direct traffic to their own site. Michael (I believe, or was it Indian Summer?) had an exception in place for surveys - the thinking being legitimate surveys promoted veg*nism. These rules seemed to work pretty well, but it requires an active moderation team and members who will report posts.
dormouse, Purp and Muttley like this.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore

Last edited by Poppy; 02-17-2016 at 05:54 AM.
#13 Old 02-17-2016, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I also hate when people come here to get surveys done.They're usually poorly worded and don't seem to have any use
I'm also amazed that some of these badly constructed surveys have been created as research for a "dissertation" or that the poster says they need help for their "thesis".

Tom likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page