"Gay" Symbols...I wanna know. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-25-2004, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

In another thread *ahem* someone volunteered to discuss the history of the inverted triangle and rainbow as symbols of homosexuality. I'd like to know where they originated, and any other symbols. Anyone care to enlighten me and the rest of our happy family here on VB?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-25-2004, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

the triangles came from the holocaust during WWII. as jews had stars of david, homosexual males had pink triangles and homosexual females had black triangles. they were required to wear these in the prisons and concentration camps where they were detained. there's a wonderful documentary out there that i saw on the Sundance Channel about this, produced by a young man named Mueller. very interesting (and sad) stuff.

as for the rainbow flag, no clue where it came from or when. i think it's a newer development--probably the mid-late 1970s, sometime around Stonewall. Stonewall was a gay bar that was raided to arrest people for homosexuality, but they stood up for themselves and refused--it became benchmark for when the "gay rights movement" became "out" or public. there's a lot of interesting gay history out there. One of my favorite TV shoes is "In the Life: a gay and lesbian new magazine" which is often on PBS. in my area, it's on tuesday nites at 9 or 10. they often have a historical piece, a modern piece, an art piece, and a commentary/op-ed at the end. It's great to watch; i learn a TON and then go research. They have a web site--i think it's inthelifetv.com.

have fun learning!
#3 Old 08-25-2004, 12:32 PM

I'm sure that WonderRandy can give you more info on the subject, but I believe the pink triangle was analagous to the yellow star of david that the nazis made the jews wear. The Holocaust was actually directed more widely than just at the Jewish population of Europe. The nazis also persecuted blacks, gays, gypsies, etc. Pretty much anyone who didn't fit their Aryan model. I don't know how they arrived at the pink triangle as the symbol to represent homosexuals, however.

The Rev
#4 Old 08-25-2004, 01:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Ah, the joys of people posting at roughly the same time!
#5 Old 08-25-2004, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

zoebird and the Rev have given the basic story. I'm gonna look up some articles for some deeper understanding and discussion.

here's a start tho....

homosexuality in Nazi Germany

colors of the rainbow

Nec Aspera Terrent
#6 Old 08-25-2004, 11:04 PM
Veggie Regular

WR have you seen the movie "Trembling Before G-d"?

I just rented it a few days ago, but haven't watched it yet.

ETA: I just watched it. I thought it was about gays during the holocaust, but it's not, it's a documentary about jewish homosexuals. Interesting watch though nonetheless.
#7 Old 08-26-2004, 12:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev View Post

I'm sure that WonderRandy can give you more info on the subject, but I believe the pink triangle was analagous to the yellow star of david that the nazis made the jews wear. The Holocaust was actually directed more widely than just at the Jewish population of Europe. The nazis also persecuted blacks, gays, gypsies, etc. Pretty much anyone who didn't fit their Aryan model. I don't know how they arrived at the pink triangle as the symbol to represent homosexuals, however.

Eh, I think they used the marshmallow shapes from Aryan Lucky Charms.
#8 Old 08-26-2004, 01:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Tame,

Very cool about where the triangles came from. I had heard that a long time ago, but had completely forgotten it. It's nice to know again.
#9 Old 08-26-2004, 05:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Many thanks. You can learn something new every day!
#10 Old 08-26-2004, 09:19 AM
Veggie Regular

interestingly enough, the persecution of gays didn't start with nazi policy. they simply started to enforce anti-sodomy laws that were already on the books--prior to their coming into power. but, yes, they pretty much found a way to persecute a number of different people.

they had a number of other symbols too, and i know that there's a list online. romani people (sometimes called gypsies) had a particular color and shape that hey wore too. im not exactly sure how they were chosen, but it did keep things a bit easier for them in the prisons--knowing who was where and for what reason. pretty extensive.

thanks for the rainbow article WR.
#11 Old 08-26-2004, 10:12 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

There is a discussion of lesbian symbolism in the movie "Bound." One of the characters picks up on the fact that the Gina Gershon character is a lesbian by virtue of her various tattoos. I think one is some sort of axe symbol. It's been a while since I have seen the movie.

Quote:
The tattoo Corky wears on her right arm is a labrys, a double edged hatchet. The labrys has been used as a symbol of power and pride by feminists and lesbians.

"That's a great tattoo. Beautiful labrys. Are you surprised I know what it is?"--Violet (Jennifer Tilly) to Corky (Gina Gershon)

Quote:
Susie Bright, noted lesbian author (SUSIE SEXPERT'S LESBIAN SEX WORLD), and book editor (the BEST AMERICAN EROTICA series), was hired as a consultant for the film. She has a brief cameo as Jesse, the woman Corky tries to pick up in the bar scene.

http://www.bestprices.com/cgi-bin/vl...itle=Bound-DVD

See also:

http://altreligion.about.com/library...defslabrys.htm

Lesbian Symbols and Icons:

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/lovely...aysymbols.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page