AOL users, Isn't this too true? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-23-2004, 12:30 PM
Banned

If AOL Built Cars

1. The AOL car would have a TOP speed of 40 MPH yet have a 200 MPH speedometer.

2. The AOL car would come equipped with a NEW and fantastic 8-Track tape player.

3. The car would often refuse to start and owners would just expect this and try again later.

4. The windshield would have an extra dark tint to protect the driver from seeing better cars.

5. AOL would sell the same model car year after year and claim it's the NEW model.

6. Every now and then the brakes on the AOL car would just "lock-up" for no apparent reason.

7. The AOL car would have a very plain body style but would have lots' of pretty colors and lights.

8. The AOL car would have only one door but it would have 5 extra seats for family members.

9. Anyone dissatisfied could return the car but must continue to make payments for 6 months.

10. If an AOL car owner received 3 parking tickets AOL would take the car from them.

11. The AOL car would have an AOL Cell phone that can only place calls to other AOL car cell phones.

12. AOL would pass a new car law forbidding AOL car owners from driving near other car dealerships.

13. AOL car mechanics would have no experience in car repair.

14. Younger AOL car drivers would be able to make other peoples AOL cars stall just for fun.

15. It would not be possible to upgrade your AOL car stereo.

16. AOL cars would be forced to use AOL gas that cost 20% more and gave worse mileage.

17. Anytime an AOL car owner saw another AOL car owner he would wonder, M/F/age?

18. It would be common for AOL car owners to divorce just to marry another AOL car owner.

19. AOL car owners would always claim to be older or younger than they really are.

20. AOL cars would come with a steering wheel and AOL would claim no other cars have them.

21. Every time you close the door on the AOL car it would say, "Good-Bye ."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-23-2004, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

That is sooo true. I'm glad I don't use AOL anymore. Just the free AIM program so I can talk to friends still using AOL.
#3 Old 08-23-2004, 12:50 PM

Run Ad-Aware by Lavasoft (free spyware detection). You'll see dramatic improvements especially if you've never run spyware detection before. Amazing. My sis goes through AOL and had never run any detection software. I just cleaned up here PC yesterday. 398 spyware files. Unreal. She was locking up for no reason, getting booted off, would run very very slow...basically a lot of the things you mention in your first post. I called her this afternoon and she said it's running like she has DSL (she has dial up). Said she's not had a problem yet. Anyhow, you can download it via www.majorgeeks.com.
#4 Old 08-23-2004, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Ad-aware is fantastic it really does make a difference in aols performance or any computers performance.

and that thing is great. some of it i dont follow ( have CANADIAN AOL even more things to laugh at lol!!!)

the only thing with Spy-ware programs which makes me wonder about this site.. they nock off my password.....
#5 Old 08-23-2004, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Why do people these days still use AOL? Seriously? It's no easier than any other internet service, and it certainly isn't cheap, and (I dont know if things have changed since the early 90's) but I thought it couldn't even run javascript? So whats the deal? Why stick with AOL?
#6 Old 08-23-2004, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

My bf used aol because it was the cheapest, but never the browser or anything else it comes with. I hate it with a passion. I'm guessing that most of the people who use it don't know much about the internet and computers, so they are attracted by the parental filters and spam-blocking that aol tries to sell in the adverts here.
#7 Old 08-23-2004, 05:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I have AOL, my parents got it when we first got our pc. I don't think it's that bad. Comparing it to Blueyonder (which my fiance has) i'd say it's better. AOL email is quicker and simpler, he's constantly having problems with his emails, opening documents and replying. It's rare that i have problems getting online, unlike Blueyonder which regularly goes down. I also like the fact that on AOL you can get help online. I do have a problem with spam emails and tiscali pop-ups. Just the other day i logged off AOL and was bombarded with 40 tiscali pop-ups all in one go...grrrr....
#8 Old 08-23-2004, 06:32 PM

They use it because it's the "internet for dummies" essentially. My parents can't function without AOL, while my brother and I are total nerds about our internet and resent the fact that AOL for broadband was chosen for us. :\\ It's only use, however, is the connection. Firefox & AIM FO-EVA!
#9 Old 08-23-2004, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Heart View Post

My bf used aol because it was the cheapest

Was being the operative word. It's not anymore.

I think a lot of folks started with AOL and are just intimidated by the thought of leaving and having to adjust to something else.
#10 Old 08-23-2004, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, it's not the cheapest by a longshot, and it never was. For a long time you could get dialup service for free (you still can if you know where to look), and even if you did use a service that charged, you could always find internet for less than half AOL's price.
#11 Old 08-23-2004, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

We use it because it is the same dial up price as other services here. and because my dads email for his business is AOL (yes he now sees his mistake).

As much as I grumble I dont mind because we dont have nearly as many internet and email problems as our neighbours and friends using the 2 local companies for DSL and Cable.

as soon as AOL figures out how to keep me online once im online I will stop complaining.
#12 Old 08-23-2004, 11:07 PM
Veggie Regular

22. And every time you get a parking ticket you'd get an " you got mail" messege sent to your AOL cellphone
#13 Old 08-24-2004, 04:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

We're in different countries....

Star Lass, we've just got Blueyonder, and it seems ok so far.
#14 Old 08-24-2004, 04:45 AM

I have AOL free until December. I never use it. I just use my MSN software with my cable connection. It was always something about AOL I never liked. I just use the messenger part.
#15 Old 03-31-2005, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana19105 View Post

Why do people these days still use AOL? Seriously?

Hell, I didn't know people still used AIM. Everyone I know has been using gaim for ages.
#16 Old 03-31-2005, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

And let's not forget to mention how inconvenient AOL makes it to cancel your service with them! Not only is it a pain that you have to call, and wait and wait but when you do get a real person, they try to talk you out of cancelling for about 2 hours. Offers of 6 months free. Free upgrade to Broadband for 6 months. Yada.

I got around their "we don't take no for an answer" attitude. I told them that I was leaving the country forever and that I was going to throw my computer into a bonfire.

The guy was a little stunned, and said "well, I guess you wouldn't be interested in any more of the offers then would you?"

I replied "no, thanks."

And that was how I divorced AOL.
#17 Old 03-31-2005, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

I got around their "we don't take no for an answer" attitude. I told them that I was leaving the country forever and that I was going to throw my computer into a bonfire.

The guy was a little stunned, and said "well, I guess you wouldn't be interested in any more of the offers then would you?"

I replied "no, thanks."

And that was how I divorced AOL.

LMAO!!
#18 Old 03-31-2005, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I think a lot of folks started with AOL and are just intimidated by the thought of leaving and having to adjust to something else.

Exactly my situation. I too am fed up with AOL and considering a switch to something else. However, I'm not sure just WHAT else right now.

*this space not for sale*
#19 Old 03-31-2005, 05:25 PM
Administrator

I was just telling someone that I can't understand why people still use AOL. I pay $30 a month for broadband and AOL is what, $24 a month? I know not everyone can get broadband but still. Who pays $24 a month for dialup these days?

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#20 Old 03-31-2005, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Bah. My friend has AOL and I HATE IT. The only thing I like it that it goes "goodbye!" when you sign off.

Other than that,
#21 Old 03-31-2005, 08:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Run Ad-Aware by Lavasoft (free spyware detection). You'll see dramatic improvements especially if you've never run spyware detection before. Amazing. My sis goes through AOL and had never run any detection software. I just cleaned up here PC yesterday. 398 spyware files. Unreal. She was locking up for no reason, getting booted off, would run very very slow...basically a lot of the things you mention in your first post. I called her this afternoon and she said it's running like she has DSL (she has dial up). Said she's not had a problem yet. Anyhow, you can download it via www.majorgeeks.com.

Well, for the past couple of months I have been running AOL's free anti-spyware program. However, for the past few weeks when I run the weekly scan, the results are the same: 0 files found. When I saw the above post today, I figured another anti-spyware program wouldn't hurt, right?

About an hour ago I downloaded Ad-Aware to my computer and ran a scan. It came up with 96 files to quarantine. So far so good, right? Well, I did the quarantine and rebooted the computer.

Not only does AOL NOT run any faster, it runs SLOWER than it used to. Navigating VB is a nightmare. Every time I click something on VB, the page takes forever to load. Or not load at all. Ad-Aware both sucks and blows. Sorry.

*this space not for sale*
#22 Old 03-31-2005, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Well, for the past couple of months I have been running AOL's free anti-spyware program. However, for the past few weeks when I run the weekly scan, the results are the same: 0 files found. When I saw the above post today, I figured another anti-spyware program wouldn't hurt, right?

About an hour ago I downloaded Ad-Aware to my computer and ran a scan. It came up with 96 files to quarantine. So far so good, right? Well, I did the quarantine and rebooted the computer.

Not only does AOL NOT run any faster, it runs SLOWER than it used to. Navigating VB is a nightmare. Every time I click something on VB, the page takes forever to load. Or not load at all. Ad-Aware both sucks and blows. Sorry.

Yeah, I'm not so sure I'd blame Ad-Aware for that one.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#23 Old 03-31-2005, 09:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Lets not forget AIM, Now official AIM install a whole bunch of crap on Windows and "Free AOL" all over... AH! Gaim for me, however I STILL don't like using AIM's protocol. (but it's the way to keep in touch )
#24 Old 06-24-2006, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

lol @ aol.

lol @ 56kb/s dial up

I currently get 5000-7000 kb/s
#25 Old 06-24-2006, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

lol @ aol.

lol @ 56kb/s dial up

I currently get 5000-7000 kb/s

Not everybody can afford non-dial up internet service.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page