VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   The Veggie Patch (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/16-veggie-patch/)
-   -   Dumpster Diving... (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/16-veggie-patch/1972-dumpster-diving.html)

GhostUser 04-24-2003 03:58 AM

I live in a house with 7 other people. I make about $300 dollars a month. I pay:

$185 rent

$50 gas

$60 shows/concerts/bills

$5 food

How do I only afford $5 for food a month and still be vegan? Well I dumpster dive. I don't grab garbage and sift through the waste and disgust...I go to bakery outlits who throw out perfectly good food still in the package. I eat the plain, onion, sesame seed bagels and the wheat bread. I take care of the breads while my other roommates take care of such things as peanut butter, pitas and hummus. I have one roommate who brings home fallafel and vegan veggie burgers from his work. I live with a bunch of anarchists...we do "Food Not Bombs" which also supplies some fruits and vegeatables, it's great. We pay rent and pay close to nothing for food. I am very frugal when it comes to paying for food because I know there are a lot of ways to get it for free.

GhostUser 04-24-2003 07:37 AM

Would you believe this is mentioned in another thread? I never new so many were dumpster diving..

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...light=dumpster

1vegan 04-24-2003 08:11 AM

There is so much food thrown away, because it's past the "best before" date......

Got an Idea how much ?

Ok double that.....hard to believe isn't it?

Personally I would spent 0 on shows.

I once had to live on a small amount of money and I decided to buy ten pounds of potato's and three cans with vegetables.

I was eating vegan without even knowing something like that existed.

But, yeah, it's no fun to be living on a absolute minimum bugdet.

Strix 04-26-2003 02:15 PM

I couldn't live with seven people!! :P

RedStarJedi 04-29-2003 03:51 PM

Which FNB? I do stuff wiht FNB San Jose.

Skylark 04-30-2003 12:29 AM

Strix,

I live with 6 people... but that's my parents and four sisters. And no, we don't dumpster dive. It is an interesting idea tho.

:thumbs up: for Frugal Living Forum.

Kreeli 04-30-2003 01:12 AM

the FNB in vancouver shut down becuase the organizers got too busy!!!

i am thinking i will try to start one up in my community (just outside of vancouver) but it seems like an enormous task.

how do you find out when bakeries dump their stuff? is it a certain time of day or day of the week? what about produce and that? the only grocery stores near me have huge, sealed trash compacters they toss everything into--i've never figured out how to get anything out of there.

what i'm most nervous about, with regards to starting up the group here, is approaching businesses with the idea and asking them to donate their unsellable items. i don't handle rejection well.

maybe this should be a different topic...

Strix 04-30-2003 12:26 PM

Skylark: I guess family would be different in a way! But, if I had to live with some of my family members, I'd go batty! I guess it's a personality thing: I really love living alone. I did live with my grandparents for 4 months to help out when my grandma was sick, so that wasn't too bad But when you're used to being alone, it can be difficult (but not impossible, I guess) in the privacy area.

Have you ever lived alone? I know some people do not like living alone.

LadyFaile 04-30-2003 02:29 PM

i think i'd prefer to ask the store for the stuff than to dig through the trash for it, especially bakeries, cause you never know why exactly they threw the stuff out. some of it may have been dropped on the floor or it was a bad batch because of ingredients gone bad or bugs or something. you never know. i'd definately go in and ask and if they say no oh well.

just think about how you're gonna ask ahead of time, like "i'm wondering if you'd be willing to donate food items that you're not able to sell but are still edible, rather than throw them out?" and explain what you'd be using them for etc

CaptainSwab 05-01-2003 02:55 AM

I used to work at one of those bakery outlets who throw perfectly good food away.

At the store I worked at, we got the bread from the grocery store whos dates would expire in three to four days. We would sell it for a reduced price. The day the date hit, we had to throw it out. We did give some to the local foodbank but often they would say we had more than they could take.

We would have people come in and ask for old bread for their animals. We were happy to give them some. In fact, I think we ended up giving them more than what they ever expected. Trust me, it was easier just to give people that bread than put it on the shelves and then just have to take them off again a day later. Of course the manager at that store didn't care and the people who run the company are out of Los Angles (I am up in Santa Barbara) so we didn't have the BIG bosses come by too often.

We would mostly throw stuff out at closing time so if you are going to go looking for bread, I would say that is the best time to do it. Sometimes I would just leave the bread in a shopping cart by the dumpster and then finsih other stuff up around the store before going back out and throwing it out. I know that there were always people who took advantage of this oppurtunity.

GhostUser 05-08-2003 12:10 AM

Quote:
just think about how you're gonna ask ahead of time, like "i'm wondering if you'd be willing to donate food items that you're not able to sell but are still edible, rather than throw them out?" and explain what you'd be using them for etc

I overheard a conversation between 2 people i know about Mcdonalds, they were talking about how they should donate the buns that they dont use in that day (because they throw them out) but then someone else came in and said "The reason they dont is incase someone gets sick from eating food thats past its used date and sues"

They had actually asked mcdonalds, so thats a viable answer...

Danny

kpickell 05-08-2003 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptainSwab

We would have people come in and ask for old bread for their animals. We were happy to give them some. In fact, I think we ended up giving them more than what they ever expected.

Sometimes I would just leave the bread in a shopping cart by the dumpster and then finsih other stuff up around the store before going back out and throwing it out. I know that there were always people who took advantage of this oppurtunity.

Well that was awfully nice of you. I like hearing these type of goodwill stories.

Lots of places around here have offered to give us (the homeless shelter where I work) their expired bread products. We get way more than we can use and much of it gets thrown out here too.

scareyvegan 05-08-2003 08:33 AM

a lot of coffee shops give away all their mornings leftover baked goods at night

try going in there 10 minutes before closing

and also make an effort to be friendly with the employees

most places dont have any or much vegan stuff, but lots of vegetarian things

my friend makes out like a bandit - muffins, bagels, scones, etc etc etc

Caroline

LadyFaile 05-09-2003 09:05 AM

yeah if you go into tim hortons at 2am chances are you can score a free donut or two