• 2 Post By Beautiful Joe
  • 2 Post By Capstan
  • 2 Post By no whey jose
  • 1 Post By Spudulika
  • 2 Post By Windigo
  • 1 Post By TailFin

#1 Old 10-25-2015, 08:17 AM

The Pizza Issue

I love pizza and I use dairy products almost daily. So therefore I'm not a real veggie myself, but I like veggie-pizzas. I always make my own pizzas from start to finish...you know.. the ordinary stuff...mostly tomato, mushroom, onion, bell pepper, pineapple, olive. And lots of cheese and olive oil. I would like to use tuna, but that's kind of a meat also...the meat of the sea.

Do you make your own pizzas and do you use dairy products?
How do you feel using fish like tuna?
Have you tried cauliflower pizza crust?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-25-2015, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Well, anchovies aren't that strange so I guess...but NO, I would never! I once picked up a pizza w anchovies and it smelled like leftover canned cat food

I go for pizzas with loads of olives, lots of mushrooms, carmelized onions, sometimes artichoke hearts, and maybe some Daiya or Trader Joes vegan mozzerella.

I made a killer taco type pizza using Beyond Meat feisty beef crumbles. I used fat free refried beans and salsa on the crust, then the crumbles, onion, peppers, olives, a sprinkle of Daiya pepperjack, and some chopped lettuce after it came out of the oven. That was sooooooooo good!
#3 Old 10-25-2015, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

The strangest thing I had on a pizza was green beans. Did not work for me....
Broccoli is good when it gets a bit of char

tell me about the cauliflower crust?
no whey jose and BlueSatin like this.
#4 Old 10-25-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
The strangest thing I had on a pizza was green beans. Did not work for me....
Broccoli is good when it gets a bit of char

tell me about the cauliflower crust?
The dough consists of minced cauliflower, no flour at all. So it's much more healthier than ordinary pizza dough. And of course that means low calories. I've been meaning to try, but somehow I always choose the ordinary dough....

#5 Old 10-25-2015, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Heh if you don't use flour then you're going to be super low on calories. I kinda need them to stick around so I don't think I will try a cauliflower one.

For me I have no pizza issue. I have made over 1000 pizzas. Probably about 100 of those have been vegan. I will admit only the last 10 or so have been super good like my pizzas of old but now that I've perfected it it's delicious.

Fish on pizza? Not even when I was omni.
#6 Old 10-25-2015, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

I looked up the cauliflower recipe, and for me it's a no.

One of the things I want from pizza actually is the carb loaded satisfaction. I used to like extra cheese to tell you the truth, so giving that is about the last thing I'll do and still eat pizza. Any more and I'm out
Thin crust, thick chewy, either way I want a white flour dough
TailFin likes this.
#7 Old 10-25-2015, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I've made a handful of vegan pizzas over the last few years. Below are a few of them. I have not consumed dairy in years and do not miss it one bit. Even when I was an omnivore I was very intolerant to most dairy so rarely consumed it. The thought of stuff like tuna or fish on pizza really sounds disgusting to me lol.

The first pizza in the pics below is a vegan style traditional pizza using veggies from my garden and daiya cheese. The second one is a gluten free vegan pizza using butternut squash spread as the "cheese" and sauce. The third I used a tahini sauce, sort of like hummus, with onion, green beans, olives, and mushrooms. The next pizza is also a gluten free one with wild rice and ground almonds as a topping (which has a "meaty" nutty taste and makes a great vegan ground "beef"). The final pizza is a vegan pizza I had while dining out at pizza Luce in my city, which makes vegan friendly food. That one had mushroom and arugula on it and Daiya (they also give the option of a nut based cheese too).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elaines Homemade Pizza with Daiya Cheese and garden produce.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	436.7 KB
ID:	12345   Click image for larger version

Name:	GF Vegan pizza with Butternut squash spread and veggies 2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	12353   Click image for larger version

Name:	homemade vegan pizza with tahini sauce, onion, green beans, olives, mushroom.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	12361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gluten Free Soy Free Vegan Pizza with Wild Rice.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	12369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vegan Pizza Pizza Luce May 2014.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	12377  

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 10-25-2015, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I make my own pizza too. I use pesto (also homemade) instead of cheese, and I think it actually tastes better. My favorite toppings are mushrooms, olives, and artichoke hearts.
#9 Old 10-25-2015, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

I buy premade crusts because I'm lazy. Then I add pesto, tomatoes, and pineapple.
#10 Old 10-25-2015, 10:14 PM
Impeach the gangster

You can get vegetarian (vegan) tuna. It's very much like the real thing.
Attached Images

Naturebound and BlueSatin like this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#11 Old 10-25-2015, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
You can get vegetarian (vegan) tuna. It's very much like the real thing.
This same company makes what I originally read as "Vegetarian Face Filling."
#12 Old 10-26-2015, 05:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
I make my own pizza too. I use pesto (also homemade) instead of cheese, and I think it actually tastes better. My favorite toppings are mushrooms, olives, and artichoke hearts.
Agree, pesto, olives, mushrooms and artichoke hearts are all great, especially as rich alternatives to cheese.

In fact any of those anti-pasta / marinated vegetables you get along the world food isle in particular.
Beautiful Joe likes this.
#13 Old 10-26-2015, 11:36 AM
The prowling wolf

Using vegan pesto as a basic pizza sauce is very effective I think; I've used vegan pesto mixed with some vegan cheese and it was almost the same as cheese flavoured pizza. I really enjoyed it and it made a good match with tomatoes, olives, grilled veggies and artichokes. Also some vegan pepperoni or salami can really add a satisfyingly fatty feel and flavour.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
#14 Old 10-26-2015, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
One of the things I want from pizza actually is the carb loaded satisfaction. <snip>
Thin crust, thick chewy, either way I want a white flour dough
This is me. Love pizza for this reason, too.

Quote:
I used to like extra cheese to tell you the truth, so giving that is about the last thing I'll do and still eat pizza. Any more and I'm out
I like a good balance of cheese and sauce. I never really liked extra cheese on my pizza. I remember when Pizza Hut debuted the stuffed crust in the mid-90's, and I couldn't understand the hype. I had cheese on my pizza, I wanted my crust left alone. I still don't understand when people leave the crust uneaten--that's one of the best parts! If the wife wants extra cheese, it's ok. But, for me, I'd rather a good balance.

Upside down pizza? That's pretty good, too. Try some L&B Spumoni if you're in Brooklyn. Otherwise, I still prefer my generic pizzeria style. :-)
BlueSatin likes this.
#15 Old 10-26-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
Using vegan pesto as a basic pizza sauce is very effective I think; I've used vegan pesto mixed with some vegan cheese and it was almost the same as cheese flavoured pizza. I really enjoyed it and it made a good match with tomatoes, olives, grilled veggies and artichokes. Also some vegan pepperoni or salami can really add a satisfyingly fatty feel and flavour.
Vegan pesto? That sounds exciting! Gonna give it a try, thx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page