VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   The Veggie Patch (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/16-veggie-patch/)
-   -   The Pizza Issue (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/16-veggie-patch/193105-pizza-issue.html)

BlueSatin 10-25-2015 08:17 AM

The Pizza Issue

I love pizza and I use dairy products almost daily. So therefore I'm not a real veggie myself, but I like veggie-pizzas. I always make my own pizzas from start to finish...you know.. the ordinary stuff...mostly tomato, mushroom, onion, bell pepper, pineapple, olive. And lots of cheese and olive oil. I would like to use tuna, but that's kind of a meat also...the meat of the sea.

Do you make your own pizzas and do you use dairy products?
How do you feel using fish like tuna?
Have you tried cauliflower pizza crust?

http://www.lovethispic.com/uploaded_...ggie-Pizza.jpg

silva 10-25-2015 09:43 AM

Well, anchovies aren't that strange so I guess...but NO, I would never! I once picked up a pizza w anchovies and it smelled like leftover canned cat food

I go for pizzas with loads of olives, lots of mushrooms, carmelized onions, sometimes artichoke hearts, and maybe some Daiya or Trader Joes vegan mozzerella.

I made a killer taco type pizza using Beyond Meat feisty beef crumbles. I used fat free refried beans and salsa on the crust, then the crumbles, onion, peppers, olives, a sprinkle of Daiya pepperjack, and some chopped lettuce after it came out of the oven. That was sooooooooo good!

silva 10-25-2015 09:44 AM

The strangest thing I had on a pizza was green beans. Did not work for me....
Broccoli is good when it gets a bit of char

tell me about the cauliflower crust?

BlueSatin 10-25-2015 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silva (Post 3810769)
The strangest thing I had on a pizza was green beans. Did not work for me....
Broccoli is good when it gets a bit of char

tell me about the cauliflower crust?

The dough consists of minced cauliflower, no flour at all. So it's much more healthier than ordinary pizza dough. And of course that means low calories. I've been meaning to try, but somehow I always choose the ordinary dough....:serious:

http://media1.onsugar.com/files/2013...t.xxxlarge.jpg

odizzido 10-25-2015 03:18 PM

Heh if you don't use flour then you're going to be super low on calories. I kinda need them to stick around so I don't think I will try a cauliflower one.

For me I have no pizza issue. I have made over 1000 pizzas. Probably about 100 of those have been vegan. I will admit only the last 10 or so have been super good like my pizzas of old but now that I've perfected it it's delicious.

Fish on pizza? Not even when I was omni.

silva 10-25-2015 04:12 PM

I looked up the cauliflower recipe, and for me it's a no.

One of the things I want from pizza actually is the carb loaded satisfaction. I used to like extra cheese to tell you the truth, so giving that is about the last thing I'll do and still eat pizza. Any more and I'm out
Thin crust, thick chewy, either way I want a white flour dough

Naturebound 10-25-2015 06:02 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I've made a handful of vegan pizzas over the last few years. Below are a few of them. I have not consumed dairy in years and do not miss it one bit. Even when I was an omnivore I was very intolerant to most dairy so rarely consumed it. The thought of stuff like tuna or fish on pizza really sounds disgusting to me lol.

The first pizza in the pics below is a vegan style traditional pizza using veggies from my garden and daiya cheese. The second one is a gluten free vegan pizza using butternut squash spread as the "cheese" and sauce. The third I used a tahini sauce, sort of like hummus, with onion, green beans, olives, and mushrooms. The next pizza is also a gluten free one with wild rice and ground almonds as a topping (which has a "meaty" nutty taste and makes a great vegan ground "beef"). The final pizza is a vegan pizza I had while dining out at pizza Luce in my city, which makes vegan friendly food. That one had mushroom and arugula on it and Daiya (they also give the option of a nut based cheese too).

Beautiful Joe 10-25-2015 06:54 PM

I make my own pizza too. I use pesto (also homemade) instead of cheese, and I think it actually tastes better. My favorite toppings are mushrooms, olives, and artichoke hearts.

no whey jose 10-25-2015 09:34 PM

I buy premade crusts because I'm lazy. Then I add pesto, tomatoes, and pineapple.

Capstan 10-25-2015 10:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You can get vegetarian (vegan) tuna. It's very much like the real thing.

no whey jose 10-25-2015 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capstan (Post 3811369)
You can get vegetarian (vegan) tuna. It's very much like the real thing.

This same company makes what I originally read as "Vegetarian Face Filling." [emoji23]
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10...a2d288f6d2.jpg

Spudulika 10-26-2015 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe (Post 3811241)
I make my own pizza too. I use pesto (also homemade) instead of cheese, and I think it actually tastes better. My favorite toppings are mushrooms, olives, and artichoke hearts.

Agree, pesto, olives, mushrooms and artichoke hearts are all great, especially as rich alternatives to cheese.

In fact any of those anti-pasta / marinated vegetables you get along the world food isle in particular.

Windigo 10-26-2015 11:36 AM

Using vegan pesto as a basic pizza sauce is very effective I think; I've used vegan pesto mixed with some vegan cheese and it was almost the same as cheese flavoured pizza. I really enjoyed it and it made a good match with tomatoes, olives, grilled veggies and artichokes. Also some vegan pepperoni or salami can really add a satisfyingly fatty feel and flavour.

TailFin 10-26-2015 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silva (Post 3811137)
One of the things I want from pizza actually is the carb loaded satisfaction. <snip>
Thin crust, thick chewy, either way I want a white flour dough

This is me. Love pizza for this reason, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silva (Post 3811137)
I used to like extra cheese to tell you the truth, so giving that is about the last thing I'll do and still eat pizza. Any more and I'm out

I like a good balance of cheese and sauce. I never really liked extra cheese on my pizza. I remember when Pizza Hut debuted the stuffed crust in the mid-90's, and I couldn't understand the hype. I had cheese on my pizza, I wanted my crust left alone. I still don't understand when people leave the crust uneaten--that's one of the best parts! If the wife wants extra cheese, it's ok. But, for me, I'd rather a good balance.

Upside down pizza? That's pretty good, too. Try some L&B Spumoni if you're in Brooklyn. Otherwise, I still prefer my generic pizzeria style. :-)

BlueSatin 10-26-2015 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windigo (Post 3811681)
Using vegan pesto as a basic pizza sauce is very effective I think; I've used vegan pesto mixed with some vegan cheese and it was almost the same as cheese flavoured pizza. I really enjoyed it and it made a good match with tomatoes, olives, grilled veggies and artichokes. Also some vegan pepperoni or salami can really add a satisfyingly fatty feel and flavour.

Vegan pesto? That sounds exciting! Gonna give it a try, thx :D