how to get a driver's license - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-10-2004, 03:15 PM
Banned

I can't figure out how to get a driver's license. I found the New York State motor vehicles web site, but it is pretty incomprehensible. http://www.nysdmv.com/

I want to be able to drive a motorcycle, a car, and small to medium trucks, but I can't figure out which license to get. Plus I can't figure out how to email them and ask. And the telephone -- there is no way to speak to a person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-10-2004, 03:23 PM

When my cousin wanted to have a driver's license, and motorcycle license, He first applied for the driver's liscense, went back a couple of weeks later, and added a motorcyle classification (class M) to his license. As far as a truck license, I think that may be another story all together. (you didn't specify what type of trucks you were wanting to drive (ie: commercial, etc.) I'm not really sure. I'll look at our DPS website and see I can find some info for ya.

As far as the items needed for getting a driver's license, here* it requires a birth certificate, social security card, filling out an application, a car to drive thats insured (in order to take the driver's test) and taking a computerized "written exam", an eye test and the required fees. (not sure if you asked for this information, but throwing it out anyway)

About contacting your local office, is it automated or something? I always thought people actually answered the phones there.

UPDATE: I called our local DPS. She informed me that if someone wants a liscense to drive a car, motorcyle, and commercial vehicle, that you should first get your driver's license (class C, I think) come back a couple of weeks later, and add the motorcyle (class M) and commerical truck (class A) classifications to the driver's license. Not sure if that helps, since you're not in Texas, but thats the general idea.
#3 Old 08-10-2004, 03:39 PM
Banned

I've figured out what I need to identify myself. But I can't find which forms I need, nor what kind of license or licenses I need. There seems to be no way to get a human on the phone. It looks like I will have to take busses to the dmv, to talk to someone there. Between walking to bus stops, waiting for busses, and riding on busses, it means about 2 hours each way -- ruins a whole day.
#4 Old 08-10-2004, 03:40 PM

see update
#5 Old 08-10-2004, 04:19 PM
Banned

Thanks shagginabit -- but texas may very well be entirely different than New York.
#6 Old 08-10-2004, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

my god it sounds easy where you are shag! I had to do a written test, plus two driving tests.
#7 Old 08-10-2004, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

in order to get all of those classifications, you'll have to go back more than once anyway. first, to get the regular lisence and then to get the rest.

the web site seems pretty straight forward to me. First, you go and you get your learner's permit (which seems to be what you need regardless of age, if this is the first liscense that you're getting). This means you need to read the manual and go to the place to take your test. You pass, you get your permit.

then, you take an approved drivers education course. After that, you take your drivers test (which is scheduled, and sometimes privet driver education schools will provide a car if you don't have one of your own). assuming you pass that, then you get your liscense.

After you have your regular "class D" drivers license, you can apply for motor cycle license. That manual is online with a link from this page http://www.nysdmv.com/license.htm#newdrivers

you then take the written exam for the learner's permit for the motorcycle. There is a form to fill out as well. that is a class M/MJ permit. Then you schedule a road test and if you pass that then you get the liscense.

I assume that the process would be the same for a commercial truck license.

So, the basic process is:

1. Get your drivers license

a. go to DMV and take written test for learner's permit

b. take the required drivers education

c. take the driving exam

2. get your motorcycle license

a. go to DMV and take written test for learner's permit

b. take required education

c. take the road test

3. get your commercial truck license

a. go to DMV and take written test

b. take required education

c. take road test.

to get all of these, it might take about 3 months, and at least 2 days for each one. It appears that the manuals and practice tests are available online, if you read the site and follow the links. For instance, the regular manual and practice test is here: http://www.nysdmv.com/dmanual/default.html

the manual for the motorcycle one is here: http://www.nysdmv.com/dmanual/default.html

i didn't find one for the commerical license on my first glance (this process took me about 10 minutes to find what i did here), but during one of your many visits to the DMV, you can do what you need.

here's what i suggest--go online and get your paperwork together for the written test for your learners permit (assuming this is your first license). When you get to the DMV, then ask them about the commerical license information. They may also give you the manuals for the motor cycle test and the commercial truck test at that time.

then, go away, do your drivers ed, and make your appointment for your driving exam. You may want to consider sticking around after your driving exam to take the written part of the motorcycle exam. THen, take that learners permit and get your education. When you schedule your road test for the motorcycle, and take that exam, stick around after to take the test for your commerical license.

that way, you're cutting down trips to the DMV.

good luck.
#8 Old 08-10-2004, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

..i had my permit..but it expired 3 months ago..
#9 Old 08-10-2004, 06:40 PM
Banned

I had a license, but it expired about 6 years ago. So I'm not sure if I have to start all over again or not. Plus I took a drivers ed course 40 years ago. I have the form that says I passed it, dated about 40 years ago. I'm not sure if I have to take another one or not. Nor am I able to figure out in advance how much money to bring. I don't want to go all the way thru this, and then find out I don't have quite enough. Or shell out 30 dollars for this, and 30 dollars for that, and then find out I don't have 10 for the last thing I have to do, or that I have to have it within some time limit. Then I would just have wasted $60.

I also lost the license card that I had, for the license that expired about 6 years ago. On the application it says did you ever have a license before, and if yes, supply the number. If I lost it, I can't supply the number. I guess that means I can never get a license, since I can't fill out the form fully.

And can I get a motorcycle license if I don't get a car license? Is it cheaper?

By the way, I finally figured out how to use pay pal. I read up on it, on both the pay pal web site, and other place, few hours every week, for about a year and 1/2. Remember when I started asking questions about it not last june, but june a year before that, when I wanted to get it so people could send me money to help me pay for my hernia surgery? Well I finally figured paypal out a few days ago.
#10 Old 08-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Here's a link for some phone numbers, soilman. http://www.nysdmv.com/tollfree.htm

This is a link for the local offices and has the numbers for each office. http://www.nysdmv.com/offices.htm
#11 Old 08-11-2004, 08:41 AM
Banned

Those are the numbers I already called tearsong2.
#12 Old 08-11-2004, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Soilman, I renewed my license (in Louisiana) after it had been expired about 2 to 3 months and all they did was charge me a $10 or $15 fine. I didn't have to take any tests.
#13 Old 08-11-2004, 02:13 PM
Veggie Regular

soilman:

the difficult part is the fact that you don't have the old license anymore. do you have a photo ID otherwise? if so, i would take that, then ask them to look up your old license.

then, you just go through the license renewal process--and there is a link about that on the web site. And, why not just take more money than you'll think you'll need (i think that $100 would be more than enough).

i think that you probably could just get a class M (motorcycle license), but you'll hve to go through the whole process.
#14 Old 08-11-2004, 04:10 PM
Banned

zoebird
Quote:
then, you just go through the license renewal process--and there is a link about that on the web site.[ And, why not just take more money than you'll think you'll need (i think that $100 would be more than enough).

There may be a cutoff time after which you can't renew, but have to get a new licence. Since I don't know exactly when my old lic expired, I don't know if I am cut off or not. I do have id. I understood that part. I have a passport, and a Medicaid card w/o a photo -- total, 6 points.

I don't want to go until I save up enough to complete the process. If I only save up $45, and it turns out you need $50, I won't be able to get a license. So I want to know how much I should save up, before I go. If I overestimate it will take me weeks or month long to get the overestimated amount.
#15 Old 08-11-2004, 04:32 PM
Veggie Regular

According to the website, if your license is more than two years expired, you have to start the process of getting one all over again. I don't know how much getting a license cost, as I don't remember paying anything when I got it issued or renewed. It may vary from county to county though.

I have a NY State Drivers License. This is all I know about the process of getting one: (and I've never gotten anybody useful on the phone from the DMV about anything, ever. However, if this is a route you want to take, try NOT calling your local DMV, but a DMV upstate somewhere where less people live.)

1. Go to the DMV and fill out the paperwork to get your Learner's Permit. In order to get the permit, you will need to take the written test. You can do so then and there. You may want to go ahead of time and get a book to study, or study on the web. You also need to pass an eye exam, either with or without glasses, whichever applies. (With glasses, and you get a restriction on your license saying you need them to drive. I wore my contacts. They're none the wiser!!)

2. Once you've passed the written test and are issued the learner's permit, you have to successfully complete a five hour driving education course. (At least when I got my license in 1996, it was five hours. There was some talk of changing the time on it, I don't know if they did.) Some courses you go and sit and be bored for 5 hrs all at once (i did this one), the others you go for one hour at a time for five times. This course cost about $80 and is mandatory. There are accredited places all over. Check your phone book.

4. Once you have a certificate saying you've completed your course, then you can call to make an appointment for your road test. This takes place at an appointed day time and at whatever the nearest road test place is. If you pass, you get your license. If you fail, you have to retake it. You have to be able to drive, make turns, make a K or 3 pt Turn, and parallel park. You have to perform all these maneuvers smoothly without making errors (i.e. hitting the curb).

I think thats it...

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#16 Old 08-11-2004, 06:51 PM
Banned

Thanks RabidChild. I had no idea how much the course costs.
#17 Old 08-12-2004, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Call around, maybe you can find a better deal! I remember scraping up $80 or so as a 16 y/o was no great joy!!

#18 Old 08-12-2004, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular

That sucks that you have to take a driver's ed course! It's only required in Indiana if you want to get your licence before you turn 16. I never took driver's ed.
#19 Old 08-13-2004, 06:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Have you ever driven in NY? It isn't especially easy. You don't want just any dope driving about hitting into things. If you live in NYC, without taking an ADDITIONAL course, you can't get a license until you're 18. (Otherwise, you can get it at 17) If you live outside of NYC, you can't drive into NYC (any borough, manhattan, bronx, queens, brooklyn, staten islan) until you're 18 and have a senior license, or 17 and took the additional driving course. You also can't drive after 9 pm until you get a senior license, and there's a limit of how many people of what ages can be in the car now.

#20 Old 08-24-2004, 09:57 AM
Banned

My son told me to get my violations pleaded and cleared first, before even applying for a license and he'll pay my fines for me.

Here is the pages for getting my records

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/abstract.htm#HOWTO

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/drivera...t/default.html

Help! I don't understand this!

I don't have my drivers license. I lost it.

It expired 1998 january.

You can't speak to a human on the telephone.

I can't afford to hire a lawyer to do this for me.
#21 Old 08-24-2004, 10:25 AM
Banned

I'm afraid that if I go down to the dept of mv I'll get arrested, won't have money for bail, and will be in jail for a year. I can't tell if my son is telling the truth or not about paying the fines for me.
#22 Old 08-24-2004, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't understand this situation fully. You have outstanding moving/parking violations with the DMV? And you can't get your license until those are cleared up? Is that it?

You CAN get a person from the DMV on the phone, you just need to commit some time to it. I've spoken to people before, and actually had people call me back as well. (It may have been that I left a message for someone to call me in the first place, but I have spoken to DMV humans.)

The DMV is not the NYPD. They cannot arrest you. If you were DRIVING a car with a suspended license, doing something illegal, and got pulled over, then maybe they could. But by going to the DMV to get the information you need to pay your violations, they're not going to arrest you. I'm assuming we're not talking vehicular homicide you ran from or anything. They're going to give you that information, and then you're going to work out the money to pay them.

Reading the M-15 form you need to fill out, it says, "Provide as much information as you know about the records you are requesting" (emphasis mine) So you don't know your drivers license #, you know your name, address, social security number, you probably know the make and model of your last car, and the license plate number, or have some record of once registering the car you owned. Just print it, fill out as much as you can, and go to the DMV with it.

#23 Old 08-24-2004, 02:00 PM
Banned

license may have been suspended or revoked for failing to show up in court to answer charges of driving without insurance. I'm not sure if I have tickets for driving w/o a license (while it was suspended or revoked). I don't think so. but I could have 1000's of $'s in fines that I owe and there may be warrants out for my arrest. I've read that they will execute these kinds of warrants if you are stopped and they call in for info, but they won't come to your house just for the purpose of executing them. In my county. In the next county they are coming to people's houses for these kinds of warrants.

As you can see, i started trying to figure this out on Aug 10 and it is now Aug 24. I've spent abuot 2 horus a day since Aug 10, trying to figure it out. It took me over a year to figure out paypal but I finally did it!
#24 Old 08-24-2004, 02:26 PM
Banned

I think I am just going to go to the Dept of MV with my passport and my social security card and ask them how to get a license. If I get arrested, I'll get arrested. I'll say goodbye now, in case I don't get a chance to say it later -- i won't survive a year in jail as I won't eat non-vegan food and they won't be able to force feed me (I know how to avoid being force-fed).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page