I was almost a goner this weekend - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 103Likes

#31 Old 09-04-2015, 08:59 PM
No flesh since 99'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
My vitamin D is low and has been low all this time, I'm taking supplements and medication for it but it's hard for my body to absorb. I might ask if injections are an option; it's something I will go after soon. Thank you for the suggestion
When my Crohns was at it's worst, I had to be on several injections (iron and b vitamins).

Interestingly, I was also suffering hypercalcemia (way too much calcium in the blood) and had to be put on massive doses of vitamin D (orally) to regulate the calcium. The hypercalciemia was actually worsening my nausea and vomiting.

It is very important for Crohns patients to be monitored for vitamin/mineral levels. It can do so many terrible things to the body beyond the GI tract. It is a truly horrendous disease.
Purp, Windigo and LedBoots like this.

Last edited by Kiwibird08; 09-04-2015 at 09:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 09-04-2015, 10:30 PM
The prowling wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookforstars View Post
fingers crossed your health and yes my mum is well (enough) she has never been back in hospital anyway
Quote:
Originally Posted by abigail950 View Post
its not to bad. i am still alive and that all that matters.

hope you will better soon.
Good to hear from you both! Glad you made it through

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
#33 Old 09-04-2015, 10:36 PM
The prowling wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
When my Crohns was at it's worst, I had to be on several injections (iron and b vitamins).

Interestingly, I was also suffering hypercalcemia (way too much calcium in the blood) and had to be put on massive doses of vitamin D (orally) to regulate the calcium. The hypercalciemia was actually worsening my nausea and vomiting.

It is very important for Crohns patients to be monitored for vitamin/mineral levels. It can do so many terrible things to the body beyond the GI tract. It is a truly horrendous disease.
I am monitored on the vitamins too; that's how I know about the deficient vit D; but thankfully so far my nutrient deficicies have been minimal. Reading your post, I think I should be happy with that

And yeah, Crohn's affects the whole body and can be quite devastating as I have just proven. But with baby steps I'll get back in shape.
Kiwibird08 likes this.

#34 Old 09-05-2015, 12:54 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
I am monitored on the vitamins too; that's how I know about the deficient vit D; but thankfully so far my nutrient deficicies have been minimal. Reading your post, I think I should be happy with that

And yeah, Crohn's affects the whole body and can be quite devastating as I have just proven. But with baby steps I'll get back in shape.
I hope you are continuing to feel stronger. When you get out of there and can, get some sunshine on your skin to absorb Vitamin D that way.
Purp, Windigo and Kiwibird08 like this.
#35 Old 09-05-2015, 04:20 AM
The prowling wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
I hope you are continuing to feel stronger. When you get out of there and can, get some sunshine on your skin to absorb Vitamin D that way.
I look forward to that
Purp and LedBoots like this.

#36 Old 09-05-2015, 08:22 AM
No flesh since 99'

Quote:

Sounds like you have very competent doctors monitoring and treating you. Consider yourself*** LUCKY*** for that! It is so rare anymore to get competent doctors, especially when you're trying to get a serious disease under control. You are also lucky your nutritional issues are at a minimum at this point. Hopefully they can get it into remission before that changes. I think your plant based diet will help. Fermented/cultured foods and HSO/probiotic supplements also helped me a lot, especially cultured foods like yogurt and kefir (I was not vegan at that time, just veg. but I know they make vegan yogurt and probably vegan kefir too, which was about the only thing that I could consume to help keep food down).

Curious is your affecting your lower GI tract? Mine was mainly affecting my stomach and small intestine (which is why I've always questioned the diagnosis, since it is very rare to have upper GI crohns).
Purp and Windigo like this.

Last edited by Kiwibird08; 09-05-2015 at 08:25 AM.
#37 Old 09-07-2015, 04:51 AM
The prowling wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
Sounds like you have very competent doctors monitoring and treating you. Consider yourself*** LUCKY*** for that! It is so rare anymore to get competent doctors, especially when you're trying to get a serious disease under control. You are also lucky your nutritional issues are at a minimum at this point. Hopefully they can get it into remission before that changes. I think your plant based diet will help. Fermented/cultured foods and HSO/probiotic supplements also helped me a lot, especially cultured foods like yogurt and kefir (I was not vegan at that time, just veg. but I know they make vegan yogurt and probably vegan kefir too, which was about the only thing that I could consume to help keep food down).

Curious is your affecting your lower GI tract? Mine was mainly affecting my stomach and small intestine (which is why I've always questioned the diagnosis, since it is very rare to have upper GI crohns).
I'm very blessed to live in a country with affordable, competent healthcare

I have got Crohn's Colitis (yes that is actually an official diagnosis sadly) which means that I've got Crohns that behaves mostly like Colitis. So most of the time the areas of Colitis are affected but sometimes I also get Crohn's active somewhere else. Right now Crohn's is active in the fat digestion area (sorry English is not my first language) and the rest of my bowels are calm. I'm not flaring, just a little bit of pain after each meal.

Going plant based has certainly helped me, due to prednisone my weight was up to a whopping 113 kilo's and since I went vegan three weeks ago I have lost 5 kilo's and am down to 108 while not excersising because I have been so ill. So when I get better and can excercise going vegan will certainly help me shed those darn pounds

Aside from that; good news all around. I am allowed to move again, I can stay without oxygen in the mornings and will get fysiotherapy. When I can climb stairs on my own again I will be allowed to go home.
Purp and LedBoots like this.

#38 Old 09-10-2015, 11:59 AM
The prowling wolf

I'm back home!

I'm feeling way better than I have in months; it's incredible! The doctor said that as soon as the embolus is gone I should feel major improvement and it's true!

I can breathe, I can move, I don't need to sleep during the day! It's freaking amazing. I can live!

I'll take it slow, but if I keep feeling this way I am more than grateful
karenlovessnow, Purp and LedBoots like this.

#39 Old 09-10-2015, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

What a horrifying experience. Nothing like a correct diagnosis to get you back on track. Feel better, Windigo!
Purp and Windigo like this.
#40 Old 09-10-2015, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm so glad they caught that in time!

Crohn's is such a tough illness in so many ways.
Purp, Windigo and Naturebound like this.
#41 Old 09-11-2015, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm glad you are better, @Windigo .
Windigo and Naturebound like this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#42 Old 04-02-2016, 07:20 AM
The prowling wolf

Sorry for bumping this old thread ;

But I wanted to say thank you to all who supported me

And share the good news that I've finally found meds that help manage my Crohn's and I've been only improving for the past 3 months!

I have to be vegetarian still because of several serious nutrient deficiences; but otherwise I am doing well and slowly veganising things again.

Great to be back!
Tom, karenlovessnow, silva and 7 others like this.

#43 Old 04-02-2016, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

I'm glad to know!
Do what you need to stay healthy, I'm glad you're feeling better!
Windigo likes this.
#44 Old 04-02-2016, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Good news...welcome back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Windigo likes this.
#45 Old 04-02-2016, 07:49 PM
Beginner

Great news, Windigo!

You were amazingly cool and mentally sharp when you posted right after your crisis. Best of luck on your recovery.
Windigo and LedBoots like this.
#46 Old 04-03-2016, 08:40 AM
The prowling wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie man View Post
Great news, Windigo!

You were amazingly cool and mentally sharp when you posted right after your crisis. Best of luck on your recovery.
I just really needed some support and you guys gave it to me

Thank you all for your help !

Recovery seems to be seriously getting there; and a veg* diet is really helping me too. Glad to be here again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page