Do you use coupons? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Do you use coupons?
Yes, I use coupons all the time. I don't believe in paying full price unless absolutely necessary 0 0%
I use coupons on occasion 0 0%
I do not use coupons 0 0%
I do not use coupons, and I think people who do are cheapasses! 0 0%
I don't do the grocery shopping in my household 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-05-2004, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I use coupons almost every time I go to the grocery store, usually several. I also take lots of coupons when they have them on the shelf in front of my favorite products and use them for months to come. I love coupons. Do you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-05-2004, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a big coupon user. I keep ones in my purse for all our favorite restaurants, and anything I can use them on in the grocery I do. I also send away for coups for veg*n products.
#3 Old 08-05-2004, 06:13 PM
Veggie Regular

very rarely. i forget to use them.
#4 Old 08-05-2004, 06:17 PM

Rarely. I used to be religious about it, but now I get so few that I end up losing them.
#5 Old 08-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes I do but as long as I was going to buy the product anyways.
#6 Old 08-05-2004, 06:19 PM

I do whenever I can, but I don't seem to find many.
#7 Old 08-05-2004, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraLily View Post

Yes I do but as long as I was going to buy the product anyways.

Same here. We use coupons a lot - I cut them out for my mom every Sunday, and I remind her to use them.
#8 Old 08-05-2004, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Rarely. I can never remember to use them before they expire. Also, I cannot find coupons for products that I actually buy. And another thing, I get ones that are useless, like 30 cents off, or $1 off 6, or something else ridiculous.
#9 Old 08-05-2004, 06:29 PM
Banned

I use them when I have them for something I would buy, anyway, but let's face it: the vegan + organic food coupons are rare, and the cruelty-free household items coupons are also rare.
#10 Old 08-05-2004, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a whole bunch of coupons for Rice Dream and Natur-a Soy Milk (as well as some Yves coupons).

Oh yeah, and I only use them on things I already use, or something I had wanted to try for a while but didn't want to pay full price for.
#11 Old 08-05-2004, 06:41 PM
Banned

Usually the only coupons I get are from Vegetarian Times or Veggie Life and sometimes Wild Oats gives out coupons that are worth using.
#12 Old 08-05-2004, 07:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Its rare that I find coupons for the products i use/buy. so im more of a find the cheapest price or whatever is on sale kind of shopper. theoretically the first option in the poll applies to me at least the last half of it. I abstained from voting since I really didnt know which one fit me best lol im "undecided"
#13 Old 08-05-2004, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I also rarely find coupons for products that I use...
#14 Old 08-05-2004, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I like to save coupons and use them on sale items.

The last time I shopped I got about $80 in groceries for about $50.
#15 Old 08-05-2004, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I use coupons on a weekly basis and I get a 20% discount on work, so not only do I never pay full price, but sometimes I pay even less than that!
#16 Old 08-05-2004, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

i don't get many and when i do i tend to lose them or forget about them or my bf throws them out. i once had a coupon for french fries on my fridge for like a year, every time i went grocery shopping i'd go to pick up some fries and go "dammit, the coupon's at home!" and then vow to remember it next time, and i'd still always forget til it expired

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#17 Old 08-05-2004, 10:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't do the shopping but my dad does and he is completly coupon obsessive. I think he generally gets about $10 off in coupons but he's gotten up to atleast $50 or so off on triple coupon weeks.
#18 Old 08-06-2004, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

i used to be coupon crazy before i went totally vegan and mostly organic. i am a member of like 5 coupon trading websites and i used to be a moderator on one. i was also into rebating big time. but the truth is, there isnt many coupons out there for healthy products and produce.

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

#19 Old 11-17-2005, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh yeah, whenever possible. In fact, I actually feel a little "naked" when I'm in a store that takes coupons and I don't have them - in case I need to buy something that I know I have a coupon for. Coupon clipping and sorting is one of the few areas of my life that is always organized. I especially love getting coupons for items I buy all the time, like Luna bars or cat litter.

*this space not for sale*
#20 Old 11-17-2005, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular

i use them as much as i can. last night we went shopping, and the only thing that i purchased that wasn't on sale was a box of frozen spinach, and i used 5 coupons. granted, the coupons only saved me $1.35, but it's better than nothing, and there have been times where i've saved over $5! the only issue i have is that most of the coupons i see in the paper i don't use since they're for processed packaged foods, which we don't really eat. it would be nice if they had coupons for healthy foods.

i'm notorious for using bed bath and beyond coupons also. well, i'll use any coupon i can get my grubby hands on, if it's useful to me.

p.s. btw, what stores double/triple coupons? i don't know of any near me, but if i did, i would shop there religiously. i do i find this out?
#21 Old 11-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina13 View Post

p.s. btw, what stores double/triple coupons? i don't know of any near me, but if i did, i would shop there religiously. i do i find this out?

Since you're in the Chicago area, I couldn't tell you, but in SoCal, I know that Vons/Pavilions (Safeway-owned stores) and Ralphs do double coupons. Albertson's doesnt.

I was in Wild Oats yesterday, and held off buying some Soy Delicious nice cream because I forgot to bring in my Soy Delicious coupons.

And yes, since first going vegetarian and then deciding to go vegan, I've noticed that I clip a lot fewer coupons for mainstream products. Sometimes I can look through the entire coupon inserts that come in the Sunday paper and not clip a single one. That's why I love the fact that Mambo Sprouts (http://www.mambosprouts.com) exists. Their mailer contains a coupon booklet with coupons for natural products, some of which I already buy, some of which I'd be willing to try for 40 cents off.

*this space not for sale*
#22 Old 11-17-2005, 10:07 AM
Banned

Worked as a Supermarket cashier as a teenager. Saw people save 40% of the total price of large purchases. ...Coupons really are the same thing as money.

I use price plus cards that get me discounts. I have one for every store I shop in. If I see coupons for products I need, I'll use them. More often than not, I try and use generic brands, because it's the glitz and advertising that you're paying for with non-generic products. I'll also buy things on sale, or wait for things I know will be on sale. (Like Orange Juice.)

I don't clip coupons as often as I could. And sometimes I keep them, but forget to bring them. I suppose I could be more dilligent. A lot of veggie products don't offer them. Except Morning Farms which has eggwhites, and Silk SoyMilk which is highway robbery even with the coupon.
#23 Old 11-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynaffit View Post

I love coupons... but it takes a certain level of personal organization to use them. I use them much less than I would like.
#24 Old 11-17-2005, 11:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I love coupons in theory... but even before I was veg and into organic foods, I didn't find that many coupons for things I wanted or brands I wanted. I just seem to choose a lot of relatively unpopular products. Of course, now that I'm veg, there's even fewer coupons I have any use for. And the few I actually clip I generally forget to take to the store with me. So I hardly ever get to actually use one.

But I think my grocery store (Kroger) routinely triples coupons under .50 and doubles coupons under $1, or they did for a while. I think there was a coupon war going on between them and another chain.

I never go to Bed Bath & Beyond without a coupon. VFH is right, that's money in the bank, baby!
#25 Old 11-17-2005, 11:29 AM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynaffit View Post

Same here. I usually don't find coupons for the stuff I want to buy anyway. Sales are another story.
#26 Old 11-17-2005, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

In general, I find the value of coupons to be much lower than the opportunity cost of taking the time to cut them and wait in line for the cashier to scan them. This is true for anyone who does anything productive with their time. There are some exceptions eg department store coupons. The use of grocery coupons is utterly irrational though, unless you enjoy using them as a leisure activity. Don't even get me started on the fact that they incentivize buying products one doesn't need. If coupons really saved the consumer money, they would not be offered.
#27 Old 11-17-2005, 12:05 PM
Banned

In general, I find the value of coupons to be much lower than the opportunity cost of taking the time to cut them and wait in line for the cashier to scan them. This is true for anyone who does anything productive with their time. There are some exceptions eg department store coupons. The use of grocery coupons is utterly irrational though, unless you enjoy using them as a leisure activity. Don't even get me started on the fact that they incentivize buying products one doesn't need. If coupons really saved the consumer money, they would not be offered.
#28 Old 11-17-2005, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

My wife is a coupon fiend! She has one of those accordion folders filled with coupons, and she brings it everywhere. She's been known to use multiple coupons on the same item to get it for free or money back! And don't even get her started on rebates. For those, she has a three-ring binder with all the different rebates she's applied for.

To date, her biggest coup was getting boxes and boxes of free Cheerios. For a limited time, Cheerios was advertising "Free box of Cheerios" on every box. It involved buying a box of Cheerios, getting the "code" from the inside of the box, going to the Cheerios website, entering the code, printing out the rebate form, mailing it in with the receipt, then waiting for the rebate check. She tested the waters to see how many she could get, and, apparently the offer was unlimited. We literally have stacks of Cheerios all over the house (probably nearly a hundred...I'm not kidding). And considering we have two little kids...we're going to need every single box we can get.

Coupons and rebates rule!
#29 Old 11-17-2005, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

Don't even get me started on the fact that they incentivize buying products one doesn't need.

So true.

I have a discount book for my region that is geared towards more 'natural' products/stores/services in the area and I use that. Most of the coupons are $5 off a purchase of $20 or more or buy one thing, get one free type of value. It's saved me a bunch of money over the year, but I was careful to go through and only take out the coupons for places I actually patronize or restaurants I've wanted to try. I won't buy a product just to use a coupon and artificially save money.
#30 Old 11-17-2005, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I recently got into using them and now see them the same way I see cash. I hand the cashier the paper, just like I was handing over money....really cool.

Since beginning I save anywhere from 40%-60% off my bill! Yippe!

I also join the stores mailing lists. I just received a coupon for $5 worth of produce on my next shopping trip...Yay!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page