Do you use coupons? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Do you use coupons?
Yes, I use coupons all the time. I don't believe in paying full price unless absolutely necessary 0 0%
I use coupons on occasion 0 0%
I do not use coupons 0 0%
I do not use coupons, and I think people who do are cheapasses! 0 0%
I don't do the grocery shopping in my household 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 11-17-2005, 07:22 PM
Administrator

I don't use coupons. I'm not opposed to it, just never seem to think about it or have them with me when I'm at the store.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 11-18-2005, 04:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I very rarely use coupons. I never remember where I put them or when they expire.
#33 Old 11-18-2005, 04:46 AM
Banned

I use them whenever i can, but since I often purchase store brands (since they are cheaper usually) i dont need them. What I do is buy things on sale - after years of grocery shopping you get certain rules - like never pay for grapes over $2 a lb, etc. i'll find another fruit. And stock up on things when there are good sales. If my sales receipt says I've saved anything less than 15% I feel like I've failed that trip, LOL ;-)
#34 Old 11-18-2005, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

If coupons were available for anything I would buy, and if it were worth my time to sift through the mountains of ads in the paper, then I might use them.

But they never have coupons for bulk lentils or any produce items or 7th-generation toilet paper, etc -- stuff that I actually buy. They always seem to be for junk food or overpriced processed foods. And I'm not about to waste my personal time seeking out those coupons so I can save 15 cents.

Plus, I read somewhere that name-brand grocery prices are artificially inflated to accommodate for coupons. IOW, a Healthy Choice meal might be $4.25 while a comparable store-brand meal is $3.50, because the company that makes Healthy Choice publishes coupons and needs to maintain the profit margin while publishing coupons. So you really aren't saving money, you're just buying the brands that the companies who make them want you to buy.
#35 Old 11-18-2005, 09:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I do get instant coupons for Silk fairly often.
#36 Old 11-18-2005, 09:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Have you ever noticed the coupon books at Whole Foods and Wild Oats?

They have pretty good coupons in 'em.
#37 Old 11-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

whole foods has coupon books?
#38 Old 11-18-2005, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post

Have you ever noticed the coupon books at Whole Foods and Wild Oats?

They have pretty good coupons in 'em.

My local Wild Oats was handing them out one time. They're the same coupon booklets that come in my Mambo Sprouts Mailer.

*this space not for sale*
#39 Old 11-18-2005, 11:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

whole foods has coupon books?

Whole Foods has the free Mambo Sprouts book and also one you can buy that has a bunch of coupons and a $10 off $50 purchase and $5 off $20 purchase one or something like that, I think those two make up the price of the book.
#40 Old 11-18-2005, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not talking about any books that you have to buy. WF has free coupon books at the check out counter and WO has them on a rack near the entrance.

(I have seen them in Stores outside of Colorado, too.)

They have coupons for things like tofu, soymilk, yves, Ben & Jerry's, natural toothpaste, etc. Products vary from month to month. Most coupons are for about $1 off an item or two.
#41 Old 11-18-2005, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post

I'm not talking about any books that you have to buy. WF has free coupon books at the check out counter and WO has them on a rack near the entrance.

(I have seen them in Stores outside of Colorado, too.)

They have coupons for things like tofu, soymilk, yves, Ben & Jerry's, natural toothpaste, etc. Products vary from month to month. Most coupons are for about $1 off an item or two.

We know what you were talking about and two of us have named it. For the record, they happen to be located in different places in different stores.
#42 Old 11-19-2005, 01:47 PM

I use them for certain items like cat food, toothpaste, deodorant, etc., but not often for food since I don't eat any processed stuff. Sometimes for canned veggies. I do shop by the loss leaders advertised, though.
#43 Old 11-22-2005, 04:34 PM
Beginner

Not that I buy a lot of groceries myself (still in high school), but I do work in a grocery store. I must say....soooo much money can be saved with coupons....and like nobody uses them. just some advice.
#44 Old 11-24-2005, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

In general, I find the value of coupons to be much lower than the opportunity cost of taking the time to cut them and wait in line for the cashier to scan them. This is true for anyone who does anything productive with their time. There are some exceptions eg department store coupons. The use of grocery coupons is utterly irrational though, unless you enjoy using them as a leisure activity. Don't even get me started on the fact that they incentivize buying products one doesn't need. If coupons really saved the consumer money, they would not be offered.

I don't think that you can make a blanket statement that it is irrational to use grocery store coupons. There are many situations where it is quite rational.

I don't spend a lot of time with it, I thumb through the books quickly, pull out coupons of products that I use and put them in my purse, then when those items go on sale, I stock up. Using the coupons often allows me to pay 1/3 of the original price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page