good vegan novels? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By Dave in MPLS
  • 1 Post By LedBoots
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 08-23-2015, 01:38 AM
Veggie Regular
 
rasitha.wijesekera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 551
good vegan novels?

you know any novels that would be a feel good read for vegs?

As in it should have a story where it doesn't have to be centered around veg*ism but makes you feel good to be one
rasitha.wijesekera is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 08-23-2015, 06:14 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SE USA
Posts: 290
not sure if you will react as i did, but i loved margaret atwood's "oryx and crake." the new, improved humans genetically engineered in this dystopian novel were vegan.
cuberail is offline  
#3 Old 08-23-2015, 06:39 AM
Veggie Regular
 
rasitha.wijesekera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuberail View Post
not sure if you will react as i did, but i loved margaret atwood's "oryx and crake." the new, improved humans genetically engineered in this dystopian novel were vegan.

cool I'll check it out
rasitha.wijesekera is offline  
#4 Old 08-23-2015, 09:47 AM
Vegan since 1991
 
David3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,659
I enjoy these titles. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be many books that feature male vegetarian characters (the Superman: Birthright series is a rare exception):


In the "Superman: Birthright" limited edition comic series, Superman is a vegetarian: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman:_Birthright .




"Primavera" by Francesca Lia Block.




"Witch Baby", also by Francesca Lia Block




"The Fault In Our Stars" by John Green


_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 08-23-2015 at 10:11 AM.
David3 is offline  
#5 Old 08-23-2015, 10:30 AM
Riot Nrrrd
 
Dave in MPLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: St Cloud MN
Posts: 3,180
An interesting oldie is "Green Mansions" by WH Hudson. It's not under copyright, so you can download a copy on Google Books or using this link to the Gutenberg Project, which has it in a variety of formats (including HTML so you can read it online).

It's a jungle adventure romance type of story, but if I put on my lit-crit hat I'd slot it in to the genre late 19th century "back to nature" utopic fiction. The female protagonist Rima is vegan both in diet and temperment (but the word vegan didn't exist yet, so she's never referred to that way). There is a 1959 movie starring Audrey Hepburn that adapts the novel, and in the mid-70s Marvel Comics used Rima in the short-lived Rima the Jungle Girl. Rima even appeared briefly in the background of a fairly recent Marvel comic!

Staying on the comics theme, the first issues of Animal Man are a good read, and collected in the Animal Man graphic novel.
Purp, LedBoots and David3 like this.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Dave in MPLS is offline  
#6 Old 08-23-2015, 02:13 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post
An interesting oldie is "Green Mansions" by WH Hudson. It's not under copyright, so you can download a copy on Google Books or using this link to the Gutenberg Project, which has it in a variety of formats (including HTML so you can read it online).

It's a jungle adventure romance type of story, but if I put on my lit-crit hat I'd slot it in to the genre late 19th century "back to nature" utopic fiction. The female protagonist Rima is vegan both in diet and temperment (but the word vegan didn't exist yet, so she's never referred to that way). There is a 1959 movie starring Audrey Hepburn that adapts the novel, and in the mid-70s Marvel Comics used Rima in the short-lived Rima the Jungle Girl. Rima even appeared briefly in the background of a fairly recent Marvel comic!

Staying on the comics theme, the first issues of Animal Man are a good read, and collected in the Animal Man graphic novel.
The film Green Mansions was awesome. I read the novel after. Backwards I know!
Purp likes this.
LedBoots is offline  
#7 Old 08-24-2015, 08:57 AM
Riot Nrrrd
 
Dave in MPLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: St Cloud MN
Posts: 3,180
Quote:
The film Green Mansions was awesome.
Did the film mention Rima's vegetarianism, even in passing? Or did it go for a vague "nature lover" type angle?

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Dave in MPLS is offline  
#8 Old 08-25-2015, 04:36 AM
Veggie Regular
 
rasitha.wijesekera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
"The Fault In Our Stars" by John Green


Why does this make it?
rasitha.wijesekera is offline  
#9 Old 08-25-2015, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular
 
TailFin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Coast, USA
Posts: 498
Some people listed a few on Goodreads:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...n-protagonists
TailFin is offline  
#10 Old 08-25-2015, 08:22 PM
Vegan since 1991
 
David3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasitha.wijesekera View Post
Why does this make it?
Hi Rasitha,

In the book version of "The Fault In Our Stars", the main character, Hazel, is a vegetarian. Unfortunately, in the movie version of the story, they did not make her a vegetarian. The book is much better than the movie.

I guess it's not really a "feel good" story. Although there are beautiful and funny parts in the book, it is a rather solemn story.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 08-25-2015 at 08:24 PM.
David3 is offline  
#11 Old 08-27-2015, 08:38 AM
Veggie Regular
 
rasitha.wijesekera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Hi Rasitha,

In the book version of "The Fault In Our Stars", the main character, Hazel, is a vegetarian. Unfortunately, in the movie version of the story, they did not make her a vegetarian. The book is much better than the movie.

I guess it's not really a "feel good" story. Although there are beautiful and funny parts in the book, it is a rather solemn story.

Oh. Thanks. I've only seen the movie
rasitha.wijesekera is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off