Okay, I have a bone to pick... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 08-03-2004, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

People keep starting threads in the men's forum, that even the most devout female respector of privacy would be tempted to peruse.

The Latest: The Women's Forum (in bold alcaps no less) is just too funny.

I did have to read about why bankruptor wanted to choke his wife...but I'm really trying to BE respectful and compassionate (as I was taught to do, as a girl raised on hair spray and chauvanism, in the south).

Cut it out please. It's just sad. You guys have created a forum free of women, and your only hope is to post something SOOOOO scandalous and fascinting (by title only mind you) that women will feel compelled to show up. Are your lives that pathetic? Can you not get past your sad little hereditary mating rituals where you dance around and spout your opinions (if you were birds you'd be bright red with big tail feathers) until some lonely woman accepts your silly advances?

Ack.

B

B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Banned

I feel that perhaps both sides are sort of competing for whatever reason, but I really have no interest in the men's forum, aside from Bankruptor's thread, which was pretty funny, and I knew it would be.

But I think some women are trying to get attention, too. Like in the orgasm thread, we had many posts by a person who I won't mention their name where they posted merely smileys or one sentence that really had little to do with masturbation and more to do with, "Hey, look at me!"
#3 Old 08-03-2004, 11:12 AM

The wife choking thread irritated me, but I bit my tongue.

I'll comment more later when I'm not so tired... I just had to get that out.
#4 Old 08-03-2004, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artichoke47 View Post

I feel that perhaps both sides are sort of competing for whatever reason, but I really have no interest in the men's forum, aside from Bankruptor's thread, which was pretty funny, and I knew it would be.

But I think some women are trying to get attention, too. Like in the orgasm thread, we had many posts by a person who I won't mention their name where they posted merely smileys or one sentence that really had little to do with masturbation and more to do with, "Hey, look at me!"

Ah...I hadn't noticed that. I actually don't visit either forum much (the women's forum I post in if I'm having a discussion about something) .

It all seems kind of silly though to me. Before when it was womens' health issues, it never occured to me that men would be reading. Now that it's the 'Women's Forum'....I guess that would be more well...interesting.

You're right artichoke, what's good for the goose, is good for the ....
#5 Old 08-03-2004, 11:18 AM
Banned

Yes, SOME women I think are writing for other people's eyes, meaning men. But most of us have independent minds and opinions and enjoy discussing those with each other. I still participate, but I really wish people weren't so competitive or attention-seekers.
#6 Old 08-03-2004, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

It doesn't bother me. I've seen several posts in the Women's Forum (and elsewhere by women) that were condescending/abrasive toward men, so I don't see how the women are any better. Each forum's posters should be able to express themselves however they see fit, of course following Master Michael's Rules Of Conduct!
#7 Old 08-03-2004, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

i guess a men's forum wasn't that good of an idea afterall

i never thought it would get this bad though
#8 Old 08-03-2004, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanie View Post

People keep starting threads in the men's forum, that even the most devout female respector of privacy would be tempted to peruse.

I did have to read about why bankruptor wanted to choke his wife...but I'm really trying to BE respectful and compassionate (as I was taught to do, as a girl raised on hair spray and chauvanism, in the south).

Cut it out please. It's just sad. You guys have created a forum free of women, and your only hope is to post something SOOOOO scandalous and fascinting (by title only mind you) that women will feel compelled to show up. Are your lives that pathetic? Can you not get past your sad little hereditary mating rituals where you dance around and spout your opinions (if you were birds you'd be bright red with big tail feathers) until some lonely woman accepts your silly advances?

Ack.

B

B

Agreed, things are getting very juvenille around here.
#9 Old 08-03-2004, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Yes, SOME women I think are writing for other people's eyes, meaning men...I still participate, but I really wish people weren't so competitive or attention-seekers.

Preach it sister!

*clap*

Amen!! Preach it!

(I love church)
#10 Old 08-03-2004, 11:24 AM
Banned

You know who I'm talking about, don't you?
#11 Old 08-03-2004, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky73 View Post

Agreed, things are getting very juvenille around here.

You say that like it's never been juvenille here....
#12 Old 08-03-2004, 11:27 AM
Banned

Quote:

Have you considered that it is quite possible to engage in constructive criticism without engaging in the same kinds of chauvinism you complain about?
#13 Old 08-03-2004, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

i thought juvenile antics were half the fun of vb!
#14 Old 08-03-2004, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

You say that like it's never been juvenille here....

True.
#15 Old 08-03-2004, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Agreed. The guy that started that ought to be wacked one good. I suspect (hope) that that thread won't last long.

Quote:

Seems to me you sure are reading an awful lot into Bank's post. Granted, a better choice of words to symbolize his frustrations would have been less-likely to inflame. However, Bank is (and has reason to be) frustrated. I am sure he presented his circumstances in an environment intended for men, where the most of us have had the "I want to choke my wife/gf/so" feeling and can understand what he's going through and so that he can vent and perhaps get some advice.

Better you should have focused on how, in adopting such a violent analogy, Bank is tacitly promoting the dark and deep-seeded social problem of household abuse against women and furthering the stereotype of the hard-handed male authority. Rather, you chose to spit back with your own insults, perpetuating the unfortunately inappropriate sterotype of the catty female.

There's no reason why the women- and man-only threads need to even have the slightest of connections. It defeats the purpose of each.

But what the freaking hell do I know. Go on fighting amongst yourselves I gave up expecting civility a long time ago.
#16 Old 08-03-2004, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FafaFrappy View Post

The wife choking thread irritated me, but I bit my tongue.

I'll comment more later when I'm not so tired... I just had to get that out.

Ya, violence against women, whether in jest or not, is not acceptable.

#17 Old 08-03-2004, 11:33 AM

I disagree a little, sky. It's like when women say "grr I'd like to slap him" (which I hear all the time at work)...but when a man says it, those same women get all upset.

But, like the man said, stay out of those threads if you they bother you
#18 Old 08-03-2004, 11:34 AM

Didn't you ever say about your boyfriend or whatever "Oh, I could just kill him"? You literally don't want to kill him, it's just a figure of speech illustrating the frustration.

But I agree with Bank. I don't blame him for being pissed. She needs to seriously consider taking a remedial driving course. I'd probably say "I could just choke him" too if I was in his shoes.
#19 Old 08-03-2004, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

You know who I'm talking about, don't you?

Um, are we going to share with the group or is this 3rd grade?
#20 Old 08-03-2004, 11:35 AM
Banned

I love having the women-only threads, but I can't stand it when people are fake in their answers. We should be able to discuss things freely with each other. I don't care who reads it, really, because if it's that important to them and they value our opinion, then it doesn't hurt anything/anyone.
#21 Old 08-03-2004, 11:35 AM

Call the fakes out Arti. Don't be shy now...
#22 Old 08-03-2004, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

I disagree a little, sky. It's like when women say "grr I'd like to slap him" (which I hear all the time at work)...but when a man says it, those same women get all upset.

But, like the man said, stay out of those threads if you they bother you

Hmm, I guess the term "choke" is harsher than "slap". Anyway, their threads don't bother me enough to stop looking every now and then.
#23 Old 08-03-2004, 11:39 AM

What, the women have been been reading my posts? I feel so, so . . . violated!

#24 Old 08-03-2004, 11:40 AM

Violated..hmm, yes that's it. We can't help ourselves from looking at whatever has your name attached.
#25 Old 08-03-2004, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankruptor View Post

What, the women have been been reading my posts? I feel so, so . . . violated!

You've been exposed!
#26 Old 08-03-2004, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by '[MiA View Post

]i guess a men's forum wasn't that good of an idea afterall

i never thought it would get this bad though

(This response is not directed solely at MiA, but at the general sentiment that her post conveyed, which I think, more or less, sums up the general sentiment of this whole thread.)

I don't see anything bad about it. I suppose, if you let your imagination fill in the blanks on some of the titles, you could come to some negative conclusions, but then again, you might not. I wouldn't jump to conclusions about what the male members of this forum are discussing. If you're really concerned, have a read.

Also, I think it should be pointed out that men and women communicate differently, and men can tend to be less subtle, sometimes. We find statements like, "Should I choke my wife?" to be a humorous way to express frustration over a problem marital issue, not as a literal question! I have certainly heard male bashing comments on this forum, by frustrated women, and most of us males have conceded to the feeling being communicated, rather than the particulars of how it was expressed. I don't think it's too much to ask to expect the women to have the same open-mindedness.

So, basically, take a chill pill and let the boys be boys, and we will gladly do the same for all of you. Personally, I am tired of the bad rap that men get when compared with women, especially in how our wants and feelings differ from theirs. I think more tolerance and acceptance might be worth considering. That, and maybe taking a look at what's actually being said before making judgements about it.

The Rev
#27 Old 08-03-2004, 11:41 AM
Banned

I can't help it, Bank, I love the charming way you phrase things! It makes me chuckle.

As for what men think about breast implants, I couldn't possibly care less.
#28 Old 08-03-2004, 11:43 AM
Banned

I hate to put a damper on the party, but it's "judgments." This is the third time today I've seen that word misspelled.
#29 Old 08-03-2004, 11:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

Didn't you ever say about your boyfriend or whatever "Oh, I could just kill him"? You literally don't want to kill him, it's just a figure of speech illustrating the frustration.

But I agree with Bank. I don't blame him for being pissed. She needs to seriously consider taking a remedial driving course. I'd probably say "I could just choke him" too if I was in his shoes.

I guess I've never used that expression before, but now's a better time than any, right?
#30 Old 08-03-2004, 11:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page