Football season - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-01-2004, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Since football season is right around the corner, who here can't wait until the season starts? Who do you pull for and how good do you think they'll be this year?

College: My team is the Wake Forest Demon Deacons. I'm looking forward to this year since we just added VATech and Miami to our conference and I'm looking forward to silencing a lot of my mouthy VT friends.

Pro: Carolina Panthers! I think they can make the playoffs again. Probably won't go to many games this year since most of my money will be spent on Wake Forest football on Saturdays!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-01-2004, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

As much as I'd love to get fanatical about college football, esp. since my two schools are looking good nowadays (Delaware Div. I-AA champs; Maryland ranked 20th in ESPN Coaches Poll) I just can't do it. It's college football. It's corrupt.

As for the NFL, I'm excited. I'm considering converting to Eagles fandom a year early just to piss of the guys in fantasy (all 'skins fans). I'm just excited in general. One of my boys is getting NFL Sunday Ticket so that's 16 Sundays of heaven right there. Hopefully he'll still let me come over with my Terrell Owens jersey on
#3 Old 08-01-2004, 11:43 AM

I'm ready for a new season of NFL action for sure. I'm hoping the Buffalo Bills will do much better this year as last year they were a miserable 6-10. Drew Bledsoe had a dismal year and out offense was horrible under Kevin Gillbride. This year should be better as we should be using a lot of split back formations with Travis Henry and Wilis McGahee in the backfield. If Drew blows it again this year, he will be out of here for sure.
#4 Old 08-01-2004, 11:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I've always considered college football to be more pure than pro football. Is it the BCS that makes you think it's corrupt? I think the BCS is garbage for the most part too, but since my team will probably never in my lifetime play for the national championship, it doesn't bother me that much.

Oh, and we should have beaten Maryland last year at our place.

I love how Maryland fans refer to Philip Rivers as PhiLLLLip, since he lost to them four times!
#5 Old 08-01-2004, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WfuDeac View Post

Is it the BCS that makes you think it's corrupt?

[...]

Oh, and we should have beaten Maryland last year at our place.

...and Randy Johnson "should be" a Yankee. But he's not. And you didn't.

College football is corrupt. Steinbrenner-style corrupt. The BCS is beyond corrupt - it's blatently fraudulant and corrupt. It's disgusting.

The BCS has tainted college football on a wider scale, but I wouldn't say that college football is corrupt through and through and en masse - there are still some good individual programs. Here's what I see: College football is run as a business to make lots of money for people who are largely - if not completely - detached from anything that happens on the field. College basketball is the same way, but through some regulations on certain parts of the business and mostly through fabulous marketing, they managed to shelter the fan of the sport from the brute force of the corruption and have actually delivered a great f*cking product in the NCAA Div. I Men's Basketball Tournament.

So that's what I think. I will never watch a BCS bowl game. I didn't watch MD in theirs last year and two years ago and I won't this year, even if it's for the "national championship".

I don't know that I'd say the NFL is corrupt the way I'm saying college sports is corrupt. The NFL is supposed to be about business. And hey, at least the NFL has a legitimate playoff system.
#6 Old 08-01-2004, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

...and one more thing, because I hate presenting problems w/o solutions: I think that if they simply developed something like a three-game playoff system (#2 v #3; #1 v #4; winners to play for the BCS Title) then we'd have something like an acceptable facade like the Men's Basketball Final Four. I don't think it would take much more.
#7 Old 08-01-2004, 12:14 PM
Banned

I'm from Indiana, football is just a pleasant diversion to be enjoyed with ice tea and a nap in that space between summer drives to the country, and the real sports season.
#8 Old 08-01-2004, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkjobsluder View Post

I'm from Indiana, football is just a pleasant diversion to be enjoyed with ice tea and a nap in that space between summer drives to the country, and the real sports season.

LOL, being a UNC fan I know well how you feel.

I do love football but I just can't get excited about college football either. I'm not overly concerned about corruption, it's just that, being raised watching NFL ball, college seems to be a bunch of high school kids out there. It's just not very exciting most of the time to me.

I remain optimistic about my Panthers this year, hopefully we'll have a solid season with the playoffs in our imminent future. BTW, Ricky Proehl's daughter goes to the same academy that my son attends, and he came over to the school and met with the kids and gave out autographs. That was mighty nice of him. It made a real impression.
#9 Old 08-02-2004, 12:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I am going to go ahead and admit that I like watching my college's team. Yeah, we play in the BCS, and yeah, we've been up for National Champs a few times the past few years...

But it's really not about that for me. I like the game. I like the excitement, the noise, the color...hearing the drumline beating away like crazed warriors, the crowd chanting....I'm not so worried about the titles, and such. It's something I enjoy watching and following on Saturdays, and a very welcome break from my studying.

I'm gonna leave it with a big
Boomer Sooner and call it good.
#10 Old 08-02-2004, 06:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
am going to go ahead and admit that I like watching my college's team. Yeah, we play in the BCS, and yeah, we've been up for National Champs a few times the past few years...

But it's really not about that for me. I like the game. I like the excitement, the noise, the color...hearing the drumline beating away like crazed warriors, the crowd chanting....I'm not so worried about the titles, and such. It's something I enjoy watching and following on Saturdays, and a very welcome break from my studying.

AMEN...couldnt agree more other then with the NC thing. VT hasnt been doing to well recently. I havce always been into football but when i went to VT i got into college. I love it and i think it is better then pro. GO TECH GO!!!
#11 Old 08-02-2004, 10:17 PM
Banned

Wake Forest will be decent.

That clan of criminals at VT will be lucky to get 7 wins.

UNC is a trainwreck.

I'll probably bet WFU to cover a few times, I will most likely not pick VT or UNC to cover anytime I bet this year.
#12 Old 08-03-2004, 06:40 AM
Veggie Regular

BOOOOOOOO...Tame sucks

GOOOOOOOOOOOO HOKIES...

well ok we are a young team this year.
#13 Old 08-03-2004, 08:40 AM
Banned

You are also a team loaded with criminals. Have you finally kicked Marcus off for carousing with 14-year old girls, giving them booze, taking nekkid pics of them, and then while appealing his conviction on those accounts, going 25+ mph over the speed limit with a bag of weed in his Escalade?

You could easily go under .500 if a few things go wrong early. Beamer needs to be put out to pasture.
#14 Old 08-03-2004, 08:55 AM
Veggie Regular

The last update was he was suspended indeffinatly and that was about a monthy ago. I havent heard the final suspension he is facing. If i was Michael Vick i would stop feeding him money and get one of those D-linemen from the flacons to come beat Marcus up.

Quote:
You are also a team loaded with criminals

Oh i am sorry i must have missed the part where the other 60+ people on our football team where in jail. Maybe you could enlighten me. Statements like that are arrogent.

Most fans are predicting a 9 win season for us. I however think we could be better if a few thigns come together...mainly the young talent we have needs to show what they can do and we will be on a good track to make it what...11 STRAIGHT bowl games.
#15 Old 08-03-2004, 09:07 AM

Mikey, you can always take consolation in the fact that, now that VT is in the ACC, they'll be able to beat up on both Duke AND UNC . . .

At least until basketball season . . .
#16 Old 08-03-2004, 09:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Might very well be the only male here that finds no intrest in the game. Played it for 2 years in H.S., butttttt..... Welpers...enjoy it dudes. T.
#17 Old 08-03-2004, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Fear the wrath of a college football finatic!!!

#18 Old 08-11-2004, 01:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyVT View Post

Oh i am sorry i must have missed the part where the other 60+ people on our football team where in jail. Maybe you could enlighten me. Statements like that are arrogent.

Well, there are the two others arrested with Vick, the two others kicked off the team this spring/summer for other transgressions, the recruit from North Carolina (Council?) arrested for stealing electronic equipment...

I can also delve into VT history with the rampant rapes and so forthe back in the 90s...

BTW, just so you know, D-1A football teams have 85 scholarships.

Quote:

Most fans are predicting a 9 win season for us. I however think we could be better if a few thigns come together...mainly the young talent we have needs to show what they can do and we will be on a good track to make it what...11 STRAIGHT bowl games.

Who is predicting 9 wins that has a football IQ above room temperature? C'mon. You lost Vick, have some other suspensions, your starting tailback broke his leg last spring, you are returning no one who was All Big East last season (I think 8-9 players with those honors left), and you have a tough schedule this year.

Why are you going to be better than last year? You lost your best players.

USC and WVU are on your OOC slate. USC will whip your ass, and WVU will follow up on the last two games and make it 3 in a row.

Throw in Miami (away), Virginia, and Maryland in a e game stretch, along with NC State and Wake and I don't see 9 wins unless you get a poopload of breaks.
#19 Old 08-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tash View Post

Might very well be the only male here that finds no intrest in the game. Played it for 2 years in H.S., butttttt..... Welpers...enjoy it dudes. T.

If you feel like the Lone Ranger, then just call me Tonto. Played it 6 years. For me the most redeeming quality about football (on TV) is that it's a good excuse to lay on the coach on a Sunday afternoon and drink beer with your friends. Then again, this holds for most pro sports.
#20 Old 08-11-2004, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
C'mon. You lost Vick

First that shows you dont know much about VT considering Vick would most likely not be our starting QB.

On the teams you think will destroy us.

USC - yeah thats a given they should destroy everyone this year if Willaims gets reinstated

WVU - thursday night at home against our rival...our fans will be out in full force and we will win

MD - also a home thursday night game...they look very good this year but i am looking for a large home field advantage

Miami - most likely will beat us as they will win the division

VA - will be close but hopefully we will win this rivalry for the 4th time in 5 years

Wake - will be a hard game..coming into their home on a thursday night

NC State - kill me all

I never said it would be easy. But honestly a lot of it hinges on our young LBers and ill be looking for more punt blocks this year now that we wont be setting up for D. Hall to return it.
#21 Old 08-11-2004, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

and i am not geting into a discussion about our team being "crimials" because labeling us that shows your lack of respect.
#22 Old 08-11-2004, 02:06 PM
Banned

Quote:

First that shows you dont know much about VT considering Vick would most likely not be our starting QB.

Coming out the spring game, Beamer himself said the job was up for grabs. Based on the spring game oerformance by Vick versus Randall, one can see why.

Quote:

On the teams you think will destroy us.

USC - yeah thats a given they should destroy everyone this year if Willaims gets reinstated

Okay.

Quote:

WVU - thursday night at home against our rival...our fans will be out in full force and we will win

Um, yeah. Like you whipped them in 2002 at home?

Oh, and the game is currently scheduled as October 2. A Saturday.

Quote:

MD - also a home thursday night game...they look very good this year but i am looking for a large home field advantage

How did that home field advantage help against Pitt in the last couple of years?

Based on your 11-10 record in the BE over the last 3 seasons, and your losses on both lines...I just can't see the optimism.
#23 Old 08-11-2004, 02:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry you dont. Many teams have commented on our home field advantage. We have been ranked the 13th hardest stadium to come and play and our stands hold about 70k. If you doubt this please refer youself to some tape of the VT v. Miami game last year.

Just a question who is "your" team?
#24 Old 08-11-2004, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

You won't find it, brutha!!! GO TERPS!!!
#25 Old 08-11-2004, 11:08 PM
Banned

Quote:

Sorry you dont. Many teams have commented on our home field advantage. We have been ranked the 13th hardest stadium to come and play and our stands hold about 70k. If you doubt this please refer youself to some tape of the VT v. Miami game last year.

Keep looking. That home field advantage has placed you squarely at 4th place in the BE the last two seasons.

A few years back, VT had some intimidation factor on their side. It is long gone.

Even if you had a home field advantage, it couldn't make up for the losses of experienced players you have on both sides of the ball.
#26 Old 08-12-2004, 06:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes Tame i wonder if you even actaully read peoples post of jsut find sentances you disagree with.

I allready said several times that a lot of our succes this year is going to hing on our young talent. Go back and actaully read my posts.
#27 Old 08-12-2004, 08:38 AM
Banned

I have no interest in football. I learned how to play it as a kit; I tried watching people play it. Watching it lulls me to sleep. I don't understand how anyone can pay attention without falling asleep.
#28 Old 08-12-2004, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a little confused as to why anyone needs to point out that they don't like football in a thread that is clearly aimed at people who do like football. But hey that's just me.

GO TERPS!!!
#29 Old 08-12-2004, 08:49 AM
Banned

Why is this in the men's forum? I thought football was for girls?
#30 Old 08-12-2004, 08:50 AM

That's soccer, Soilman . . .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page