Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-30-2004, 10:11 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Lights Out on Ladies Night

Activists Say Drink Deals Discriminate Against Men

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/2020/..._040730-1.html

Quote:
After the New Jersey ruling, bar owner Christos Mourtos stopped holding ladies' nights at his bar, ending a 25 year tradition. He doesn't think the claim of discrimination against men has any validity. "Ladies' night was never about the ladies, it's always about the men. Because if only the ladies show up on Wednesday night, and pay no cover and get cheap drinks, then we'll go out of business," he said.

Banzhaf says that doesn't matter. "Discrimination based upon gender is as wrong as discrimination based upon race or religion or national origin," he said.

I disagree with law professor Banzhaf. It may be illegal like race discrimination, but it is not "as wrong" morally, because race and gender are not the same--no matter how much people keep saying that they are "just like" each other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-30-2004, 10:22 AM

This is so silly, it just makes me laugh. The intent of "ladies night" is not to show preference to one gender over the other, but to get members of both sexes laid. Banzhaf needs to be pimpslapped.
#3 Old 07-30-2004, 10:37 AM

The whole point in a bar having "Ladies Night" drink specials is to get men to take their dates there, instead of to another bar. And, since the men will usually be buying, doesn't ladies night benefit them? I mean, the women would be getting the drinks free anyway, right?

What galls me is that this has to become a matter of law and courts. It's like so many issues where personal choice could solve the problem. If you don't like the bars policies, go elsewhere. If you don't like the content on Channel 2, watch another channel. Isn't it enough for people to decide for themselves? Why do they feel the need to decide for everyone?

Stupid.

The Rev
#4 Old 07-30-2004, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Political correctness gone horribly wrong, I say.
#5 Old 07-30-2004, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankruptor View Post

This is so silly, it just makes me laugh. The intent of "ladies night" is not to show preference to one gender over the other, but to get members of both sexes laid. Banzhaf needs to be pimpslapped.

*Stands up...claps*..yes-yes..here-here...Tash.
#6 Old 07-30-2004, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev View Post

What galls me is that this has to become a matter of law and courts. It's like so many issues where personal choice could solve the problem. If you don't like the bars policies, go elsewhere. If you don't like the content on Channel 2, watch another channel. Isn't it enough for people to decide for themselves? Why do they feel the need to decide for everyone?

Stupid.

Yes, Stupid.
#7 Old 07-30-2004, 03:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev View Post

The whole point in a bar having "Ladies Night" drink specials is to get men to take their dates there, instead of to another bar. And, since the men will usually be buying, doesn't ladies night benefit them? I mean, the women would be getting the drinks free anyway, right?

Stupid.

The Rev

Doesn't our government have more important things to do with their time, like feed the hungry, beds for the homeless? Little things like free medication for all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page