It's ok to be Vegetarian. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 77Likes

#1 Old 07-20-2015, 10:23 PM

It's ok to be Vegetarian.

I tried being vegan for a few months and then I broke my arm snowboarding. I still wonder if it was aquincidance that I was low in calcium due to the vegan diet. Like others I am doing this for the love of animals. I started to think that being a vegetarian was bad. After alot of debate and thought. I came to the conclusion that eggs and milk are ok to consume. I found it even more rewarding and relaxing when I decided to buy eggs and milk straight from the farm and local farmer's markets. That way I know how the animals are treated. They live a nice life on the farms unlike processed eggs and milk were animals are breeded in factories in terrible conditions. I hope others will read this knowing that being a vegetarian is still a postive influence on our world. Just in case being vegan is difficult.

These statements are from my personal opinion and beliefs.
MadamSarcastra likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-21-2015, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPowersReal View Post
I tried being vegan for a few months and then I broke my arm snowboarding. I still wonder if it was aquincidance that I was low in calcium due to the vegan diet. Like others I am doing this for the love of animals. I started to think that being a vegetarian was bad. After alot of debate and thought. I came to the conclusion that eggs and milk are ok to consume. I found it even more rewarding and relaxing when I decided to buy eggs and milk straight from the farm and local farmer's markets. That way I know how the animals are treated. They live a nice life on the farms unlike processed eggs and milk were animals are breeded in factories in terrible conditions. I hope others will read this knowing that being a vegetarian is still a postive influence on our world. Just in case being vegan is difficult.

It's definitely OK to be vegetarian. Every step we take toward less suffering is a good one. Even people who have simply cut back on the amount of animal products they eat should feel proud of that. If vegetarianism is what you can do for the animals right now, that's awesome and I commend you for doing it.

That said, you should know that eggs and dairy are not "OK" for the animals involved. There is a lot of suffering and unnecessary death on even your small local farms. You can find more information about this on the vegan forums if you're interested.

Also, veganism isn't responsible for your breaking your arm while snowboarding! The "vegans are calcium deficient" thing is a myth. There are ample plant sources of calcium including tofu, sesame seeds, beans, and dried fruit. Should you decide to try veganism again-- or, really, whatever your diet-- be sure to eat a wide array of fruits, vegetables, beans, and grains and you won't have to worry about deficiencies.
#3 Old 07-21-2015, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular

vegetarianism, like veganism, is a tool to reduce suffering. Both are good.
#4 Old 07-21-2015, 09:11 AM
Veggie Regular

btw- I just got back from a week long visit with my family who lives far away. I havent seen them in 6 years!

It was pretty hard for me to have them disapprove of my veggie lifestyle so vocally, and interrogate me several times throughout the visit about my not eating meat. I wish I was exaggerating, but unfortunately, I am not.

And to be honest, I didnt share much about the things that I knew would anger them even more. (my daughter drinking soymilk exclusively, the fact that I am primarily vegan,the fact that I dont have any meat in my home, at all...)

These people who were so vocally angry and upset with me are pillars in my family, who I trust and respect. They feel betrayed by choice. It sucks. a lot.

My father told me "vegetarianism is a good way to distance family while helping no-one"
LedBoots and David3 like this.
#5 Old 07-21-2015, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Jesus, mel. I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Sending you happy vegan hugs. ((()))

(ETA: That is meant to be a hug, not a vulva.)
Tom, melimomTARDIS, David3 and 2 others like this.
#6 Old 07-21-2015, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I can only imagine how it is for the more radical veg*ns out there. I am pretty laid back and mainstream in my eating and lifestyle, and I was raked over the coals.

This was my visit-

No I wont be eating the sausage filled spaghetti sauce. Yes I know its good. No I dont want to eat it, just this once. Yes, I am just gonna toss my pasta with olive oil and garlic. No, I am not protien deficient. No I do not think the "lord made a mistake" by providing us animals to eat. Etc etc etc.
#7 Old 07-21-2015, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by melimomTARDIS View Post
"lord made a mistake" by providing us animals to eat.
If anyone still thinks "lord provided" animals to human beings then its epic facepalm, facetable even. Even evolutionists have been screaming hoarse that there was animal life way before man. Its all convenient to think that everything is centered around us, but just because an assumption is easy doesn't mean its logical. What next - oxygen was provided for man? Its rather the opposite, man came to be or materialized based on what the earth was at that time.

This is not about bashing of religious ideals but someone has to draw a line somewhere, no species has been provided for any other, they all happened to survive by hunting the weaker ones. Yes each life on earth has an ecological weight, wolves, tigers, lions, crocs are natural predators and are hardwired to hunt. We humans though are not a species that ever remained the same at any point of time, we evolved each day and today when we are saying that crime is illegal, that hurting man is illegal, that terrorism is illegal, that even cheating a human being is illegal, why should the same not apply to animals? Don't they have the right to live their lives? Shouldn't they not feel pain? We have evolved morally, it simply doesn't matter how many half-baked, moronic sophisms people come up with in the end the reality is only one. We all know animals shouldn't be hurt or exploited, we all know vegetarianism or veganism only make people healthy. I feel angry for what you went through but do not for a second feel that you're wrong. All around us is chicanery and no matter how hard it may be, we must run from it.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

#8 Old 07-21-2015, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I tried being vegan for a few months and then I broke my arm snowboarding. I still wonder if it was aquincidance that I was low in calcium due to the vegan diet.
This sentence is enough for me to know what really happened. You were only vegan for a few months, this in no way can cause calcium shortage even if you didn't have any during those few months. The calcium absorption happens the most only during the early stages of life, i.e the growing stages until 18-20. If adequate calcium is taken during this period the body should endure until old-age. Some amount of calcium should always enter the body by fruits like banana, oranges, kiwi etc & also found in plenty in dried fruits like figs, dates, nuts like almonds etc. Yes it is true that milk has the highest content but not consuming it for a few months will not lead to calcium deficiency in any circumstance.

Even a person who has taken 3 glasses of milk a day all his life can have his bone broken, why? Simple physics. Calcium only augments bone strength, but it doesn't mean bones become like titanium. While they have the ability to take damage without cracking, its quite easy for a fracture to take place. The X factor here is speed, while one can have over 200 lbs weight on their bone without any damage, the same weight when gathering momentum will cause it to snap like a twig. Its the reason even omnivores get fractured by a simple fall or while sitting in a car during an accident. This has nothing to do with calcium shortage, its just the bone has its limits and maybe that's what happened when you snowboarded.

Its perfectly ok to be vegetarian, avoiding meat in the end is the larger issue. Milk comes next. Just don't fear that a few months of vegan diet would make you weak, on the contrary a well planned vegan diet should be the healthiest thing you can do for your body.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

#9 Old 07-21-2015, 10:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Hello Matt, I don't see anything wrong with vegetarianism. I get frustrated seeing vegans hate on vegetarians on facebook and twitter because we are both fighting for the same thing. Some people are not ready to make the change, live in a place where veganism may be unheard of or may not have the resources to go vegan or may still be living with families who won't allow them. However I don't think your broken arm came from veganism.
River, LedBoots, varun and 3 others like this.
#10 Old 07-21-2015, 11:09 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:

There is no way being vegan for a few months had anything at all to do with you breaking your arm. Bones have the longest cell renewal of any other cell in your body, you get a new skeleton something like every 32 years.

Another thing, study after study show there is a greater like in milk causing bone problems than a vegan diet, which need not be low in calcium. Vegan diets are just fine for your bones.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutriti...um-full-story/
http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/veg...dairy-products

It sounds like you want an affirmation from others that you can be a pro-animal person who eats dairy and eggs. You can't. Not really. Dairy and eggs are crueler than meat in many ways, even if you get them from Bob's eggs down the street. At the end of the road there are dead male chicks, dead male cows, constant impregnant of cows, and harsh living conditions. You are affirming that it is okay to raise and slaughter animals for humans. Call those farms you get your eggs and dairy from. Ask them what they do with their male chicks and male calves. Ask if they keep the cows pregnant constantly to keep production up.

Eating only eggs and dairy might be better than doing nothing at all, but it is a far cry from doing as little harm as possible, particularly since it won't help what cause you to make this change in the first place.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#11 Old 07-21-2015, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I have known a few animal lovers who rescue animals, yet continue to eat animal products and meat.

I have read about people who go great lengths to buy meat, dairy, and eggs that are produced in a way they find preferable to factory farming

. I guess what I am saying is, some people look at the evidence and draw a different conclusion than vegetarians have. In their minds they are still animal lovers.
#12 Old 07-21-2015, 06:09 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Yes, I'm sure some slave holders loved slaves.

They drew different conclusions than abolitionists.
Tom, LedBoots, varun and 4 others like this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#13 Old 07-21-2015, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Wanting to think of yourself as a compassionate person and actually acting like one (particularly when it involves self-sacrifice) are two entirely different things.
Tom, LedBoots and custardpie like this.
#14 Old 07-21-2015, 08:38 PM
Vegan since 1991

It's all good. The name of this forum is "VeggieBoards", not "VeganBoards".

You can also get calcium from calcium-fortified orange juice (most American supermarkets carry it).

You might try asking your local dairy farm what they do with dairy cows when they get older, and produce less milk. At some point, even organic dairy farms make an economic decision to sell off their older cows to a slaughterhouse.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 07-21-2015 at 08:42 PM.
#15 Old 07-22-2015, 07:46 AM
Veggie Regular

We love calcium fortified OJ! Also sara lee whole grain white bread which has 30% of an adult's requirement of calcium per serving. I do pay attention to my children's nutrition, and meeting calcium requirements is really really easy.
David3 and no whey jose like this.
#16 Old 07-27-2015, 06:56 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Are you the only snowboarder (or human) who is breaking arms, legs or whatsoever?

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#17 Old 07-27-2015, 11:54 AM

I'm not fully vegan just yet, but I'll reply. It's only ok to be a vegetarian if this diet is a temporary stage on your way to veganism.Vegetarians are of course great guys, but it's wrong to believe that you're being a vegetarian for the animals. It's just a diet that still does contribute to animal slaughter and animal suffering. Going vegetarian is super awesome for a start, but if that's your final destination, I'm sorry, but you are no animal rights supporter. Don't delude yourself.
You've also fallen victim to the fallacy that dairy is a source of calcium. It actually leaches calcium from your bones. Whenever you drink milk you should know you're stealing from a calf(who's going to be ruthlessly murdered to become veal).
And the idea that humans need cow(any) milk to be healthy is just ridiculous. Discussing it on a site like this is even more ridiculous.

If you want to stay a vegetarian no one can change your mind, stand your ground. But in this case do not try to pretend to be an animal rights supporter. Don't tell me that dairy and eggs can be cruelty-free. Because if you do, I might run out of water to apply to that burn you've caused.
#18 Old 07-27-2015, 01:44 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwithnocrown View Post
I'm not fully vegan just yet, but I'll reply. It's only ok to be a vegetarian if this diet is a temporary stage on your way to veganism.Vegetarians are of course great guys, but it's wrong to believe that you're being a vegetarian for the animals. It's just a diet that still does contribute to animal slaughter and animal suffering. Going vegetarian is super awesome for a start, but if that's your final destination, I'm sorry, but you are no animal rights supporter. Don't delude yourself.
You've also fallen victim to the fallacy that dairy is a source of calcium. It actually leaches calcium from your bones. Whenever you drink milk you should know you're stealing from a calf(who's going to be ruthlessly murdered to become veal).
And the idea that humans need cow(any) milk to be healthy is just ridiculous. Discussing it on a site like this is even more ridiculous.

If you want to stay a vegetarian no one can change your mind, stand your ground. But in this case do not try to pretend to be an animal rights supporter. Don't tell me that dairy and eggs can be cruelty-free. Because if you do, I might run out of water to apply to that burn you've caused.
I disagree. Vegetarianism saves many animal lives. Many people are lacto and/or ovo vegetarians and this long term vegan loves them all. Thank you, vegetarians, for not eating any animals.
#19 Old 07-27-2015, 03:07 PM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

Send a message via Yahoo to MadamSarcastra
Quote:
I can only imagine how it is for the more radical veg*ns out there. I am pretty laid back and mainstream in my eating and lifestyle, and I was raked over the coals.

This was my visit-

No I wont be eating the sausage filled spaghetti sauce. Yes I know its good. No I dont want to eat it, just this once. Yes, I am just gonna toss my pasta with olive oil and garlic. No, I am not protien deficient. No I do not think the "lord made a mistake" by providing us animals to eat. Etc etc etc.
Holy crap, that's horrible. I'm afraid I would've had a much harsher reaction, like high-tailing it in the opposite direction. LOL! Nothing in the entire cosmos give one human being the right to judge another. I don't lecture/judge/bully my friends & family about the (food) choices they make, and I expect to be extended the same courtesy (from the hardcore carnivores as well as the die-hard vegans).

I hope you see better days ahead and are treated with the respect & kindness you deserve. Power to the peaceful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ MadamSarcastra
#20 Old 07-27-2015, 04:19 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
btw- I just got back from a week long visit with my family who lives far away. I havent seen them in 6 years!

It was pretty hard for me to have them disapprove of my veggie lifestyle so vocally, and interrogate me several times throughout the visit about my not eating meat. I wish I was exaggerating, but unfortunately, I am not.

And to be honest, I didnt share much about the things that I knew would anger them even more. (my daughter drinking soymilk exclusively, the fact that I am primarily vegan,the fact that I dont have any meat in my home, at all...)

These people who were so vocally angry and upset with me are pillars in my family, who I trust and respect. They feel betrayed by choice. It sucks. a lot.

My father told me "vegetarianism is a good way to distance family while helping no-one"
GAH. I'm sorry your family is being so obsessive about what you choose to eat. Not that it matters, but did you become vegetarian after the last time you saw them? I wonder if that gave them the idea that they've lost you or something. My family was okay with my vegetarianism, and yes, I wish they had become veg too... but they didn't. We still loved each other (my parents have been gone for a few years now).

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#21 Old 07-27-2015, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
I disagree. Vegetarianism saves many animal lives. Many people are lacto and/or ovo vegetarians and this long term vegan loves them all. Thank you, vegetarians, for not eating any animals.

You're awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
runnerveggie and no whey jose like this.
#22 Old 07-27-2015, 11:40 PM
Veggie Regular

dude it's okay to be vegetarian. I fact you do what you can. It's certainly better than just eating meat because you can't be vegan.
#23 Old 08-02-2015, 06:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadamSarcastra View Post
Holy crap, that's horrible. I'm afraid I would've had a much harsher reaction, like high-tailing it in the opposite direction. LOL! Nothing in the entire cosmos give one human being the right to judge another. I don't lecture/judge/bully my friends & family about the (food) choices they make, and I expect to be extended the same courtesy (from the hardcore carnivores as well as the die-hard vegans).

I hope you see better days ahead and are treated with the respect & kindness you deserve. Power to the peaceful!
my family has just suffered a loss, and I was out there helping with all that. I feel they used my vegetarianism as a scapegoat for the frustration and sadness they were/are feeling.

I dont feel like having a snappy retort is always productive or helpful. I prefer the "i am here, I love you, but I dont eat meat" approach.
silva likes this.
#24 Old 08-02-2015, 06:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
awww this made my day!
LedBoots likes this.
#25 Old 08-02-2015, 08:16 PM
Vegan as f**k

Going vegetarian is a great step to take, it really is. The important thing is that you continue your journey to ethical veganism by taking the next steps.

I recently stood up for vegetarians on a Prof Gary Francione Facebook page. Some vegan posters on this page were saying that there is no difference between a vegetarian and a meat-eater. I consider this kind of rhetoric to be not only false but unhelpful to animals. The vegetarian has started their path towards ethical living and is contributing towards significantly less suffering than the meat-eater. To say otherwise only discourages people from becoming vegetarian, the very people who are most likely of all the general public to go vegan one day.
LedBoots likes this.
#26 Old 08-03-2015, 11:41 AM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

Send a message via Yahoo to MadamSarcastra
Quote:
my family has just suffered a loss, and I was out there helping with all that. I feel they used my vegetarianism as a scapegoat for the frustration and sadness they were/are feeling.

I dont feel like having a snappy retort is always productive or helpful. I prefer the "i am here, I love you, but I dont eat meat" approach.
I wasn't aware of the situation... I'm so sorry for your family's loss. Apologies if I came off callous. Believe it or not, I'm actually a very nice & caring person. LOL Hope you're doing well....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ MadamSarcastra
#27 Old 08-03-2015, 07:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Its okay madam sarcastra. I just meant we cant all rattle off the one-liners, in all situations, you know?

I am proud that I was able to (quietly) maintain my veg*n diet while on the trip. I was not "tempted" by meat, but I hate to inconvenience anyone or stand out.

However it was fine, and I feel I now have a few more experiences under my belt.

I attended a wedding while out there and got a veggie meal (I had to ask the staff for one at the event, because the meal was surf and turf, and I was the only herbivore in attendance!)

Also while I was out there, I navigated several family meals with extended family, restaurant trips, and funeral stuff. I think I handled things as well as I could have.
#28 Old 08-04-2015, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:

Dammit melimom, what did you expect would happen when you told your family that you're a monster who selfishly revels in the fleshy gore of the living-wait what? o_O
#29 Old 08-04-2015, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

the okinawan centenarians had intakes of about 300 mg of calcium per day, yet they did not suffer from osteoporosis or any of the other western afflictions.

the current japanese RDA for calcium remains reasonable. the US RDA is ridiculously inflated. it's not a reason to eat dairy. it's wrong.
#30 Old 08-06-2015, 06:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuberail View Post
the okinawan centenarians had intakes of about 300 mg of calcium per day, yet they did not suffer from osteoporosis or any of the other western afflictions.

the current japanese RDA for calcium remains reasonable. the US RDA is ridiculously inflated. it's not a reason to eat dairy. it's wrong.
but reaching that US recommendations isnt impossible, or difficult. the almond milk I had with breakfast had 50% my DV, and my one a day multivitamin has another 50%.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page