• 1 Post By Capstan
  • 2 Post By Paisley.Dear
  • 1 Post By Purp
  • 3 Post By Auxin
  • 1 Post By Brain Floss

#1 Old 06-14-2015, 05:20 PM
Banned

What do you all do for fun in your spare time

Here's the things I like to do- I enjoy scotch and bourbon, but I don't drink it every day- maybe once a week. It's fun to learn about it though.

I am learning to play guitar. I like ham radio. It's pretty neat to talk around the world. I even made contact with the space station once. I like fooling around with guns , and collecting them.
Brain Floss likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-14-2015, 05:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I play and mod video games and learn new things/skills pretty much.
#3 Old 06-14-2015, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I like to hang out on Veggieboards.

I like to take long walks in the woods or somewhere quiet, even a little neighborhood around and do some bird watching/identification.

I like to ride my mountain bike. I did some easier single track trails today and attempted a "moderate" trail with my husband who is a diehard mountain biker (or was before rheumatoid arthritis took over). Mostly though I ride on roads or gravel areas. I'm not the daredevil he is.

I like to listen to music and exercise and dance to it. I like classical, older classic rock, disco, a little rap, soul, folk, even a little bluegrass...I still bust some ballet moves at the gym in between lifting weights lol (I studied ballet/modern dance Martha Graham technique many years ago but haven't taken a class in 23 years). I get some odd stares.

I like to write...just little short quips, journal style stuff.

I like to read biographies. I've been eyeing a new autobiography out on Willie Nelson and want to read it soon. I read a biography on Johnny Cash not too long ago, and one on Rudolph Nureyev. I like to read about people very different than myself. I have an attraction to outlaw types too.

I like to go canoeing on smaller intimate lakes or larger ones with tons of islands and sheltered bays to explore. anywhere a motor can't get to. Quiet mornings with mist and calm water are the best!

I like to go tent camping with my husband and our dog Sable.

I like to shop at rummage sales, antique stores, second hand stores.

I like to look at other peoples houses while cycling or driving or walking and dream of what it would be like to live there, or who lives in those houses and I imagine what they do for a living.

I like to plan meals and experiment with recipes.

I like to look back on good times more than I like to face the future. A good cup of coffee, a friend, and some conversation about interesting experiences. Stuff I can look back at and laugh now.
Capstan, Purp and custardpie like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#4 Old 06-14-2015, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I knit a lot. It keeps my hands occupied, my brain busy, and my body warm in the winter with all those finished sweaters!
Capstan and Brain Floss like this.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#5 Old 06-14-2015, 06:02 PM
Impeach the gangster

I've been collecting motion picture music soundtracks for many years- the symphonic kind, not the rock 'n roll. I have a fair collection- maybe 150 albums. Most of the albums I don't want to listen to all the way through, so my hobby is to use a mixing application to edit the music the way I want to hear it- choosing my favorite parts and arranging it into symphonic 'suites,' then burn them onto a disk for listening. This also preserves my original library. Some of my favorite composers are, Miklos Rozsa, Dimitri Tiomkin, and Jerry Goldsmith. I recently acquired some Russian choral music, inspired by the film, The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming. That album is 50-years old, and not available, so I went straight to the source, the Red Army Choir.

When the weather is fair, I like to bicycle around town, and take advantage of the one bike trail in this area.
Purp likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#6 Old 06-14-2015, 06:25 PM
Vegan since 2011

I read a lot. Bookstores are my favorite places to go to relax. There are very few things I would rather do than spend a few hours browsing books, maybe finding a new favorite to take up and curl up on the couch with. Some of my most treasured items are special books, some old and dog-eared and loved, and some signed that I take great care to keep in good shape. I love a good book.

I game with my friends online. I've met some great friends this way, some from all over the world. It's fun to get on voice-chat with everyone and talk while we play together. Games like World of Warcraft, Diablo, Heroes of The Storm, Guild Wars2, and Tera are the ones I play most often. When I get the chance, I also enjoy playing Magic the Gathering.

I'm trying to teach myself to knit. It's been very slow going since I've been learning from books and from videos online, but I find it very calming and enjoyable. Hopefully with more practice I'll be able to keep learning.

I'm also getting into bird watching. We try to keep our backyard very bird-friendly with plenty of trees and shrubs and a bird bath. It's fun to sit with a book and try to identify all of the ones that visit. I keep hoping to get some nice pictures of them, but so far none have turned out all that great.
Capstan and Purp like this.

"The first step in changing anything is getting people to care." - Misha Collins
#7 Old 06-14-2015, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I love to read, and have 2 library cards for 2 different systems (city and county), I love walking around looking at things, I love trying new recipes and occasionally being surprised at what food ideas pop into my head at the oddest times... I love hanging out on VB and playing online games, mostly room escapes. I love photography and taking photos. I love travelling, and going different places...Hmmmm, That's all I can come up with off the top of my head at the moment..Oh, I love playing with my cat, too.
Capstan likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#8 Old 06-15-2015, 01:05 AM
Oryzatarian

I grow plants for food and medicine, but some of the breeding I do on them is just for fun. I dont really need habaneros more rich in carotenoids or giant radishes that are red on the inside too.
I grow and collect far more herbal medicines than I need so when I get sick I can formulate new drugs to experiment with, it keeps illness from getting boring.
Grow cacti too, in the winter they have their own bedroom.
I read about agronomy, pharmacognacy, medical journals, phytochemistry, entheology, and some fiction- mostly nativistic fiction (Auel or Gear)
I have a machine shop to invent things in or make things needlessly ornate, like gem studded faceted bolts, lol
I run 5K's 3 or 4 times per week.
I sometimes go hiking and hunt medicine and food plants, sometimes just to identify.
Meditate... breathing can be fun, really.
Capstan, Purp and Brain Floss like this.
#9 Old 06-16-2015, 01:11 PM
Sheep in Wolf's Clothing

I love spending time with people I care about (also my dog!), knitting, swimming, and playing the banjolele.

Banjolele (Not me, haha. Only been playing for a few months so I'm nowhere near as good as this guy):
Purp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page