What are the arguments you heard that are against veg*n diets? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 88Likes

#31 Old 06-23-2015, 03:01 AM
Veggie Regular

If I don't eat, someone else will. So I might as well as.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 06-24-2015, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm going out on a limb here with one of my own erroneous beliefs.

I think the one I was most concerned with (before I went veg*n) was that it was some sort of covert eating disorder. Not entirely irrational on my part as I've had disordered eating habits on and off my whole life (but hey my grandmother went through phases of binge and purge and my mother basically starved herself to stay slim - so I didn't exactly have the best start there).

But yeah, I really believed that being vegan especially was a cover for anorexia. Which now of course (when I'm finally able to maintain a steady weight despite not eating meat and not drinking milk and not having much cheese or eggs) seems utterly idiotic.
#33 Old 06-24-2015, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallot View Post
I'm going out on a limb here with one of my own erroneous beliefs.

I think the one I was most concerned with (before I went veg*n) was that it was some sort of covert eating disorder. Not entirely irrational on my part as I've had disordered eating habits on and off my whole life (but hey my grandmother went through phases of binge and purge and my mother basically starved herself to stay slim - so I didn't exactly have the best start there).

But yeah, I really believed that being vegan especially was a cover for anorexia. Which now of course (when I'm finally able to maintain a steady weight despite not eating meat and not drinking milk and not having much cheese or eggs) seems utterly idiotic.
Actually quite a few anorexics use veganism as a cover for anorexia. I learned this a while ago, and do not have any such eating disorders, but there ya go.

If anything, I binge eat when stressed, and am more likely to over indulge than restrict my calories. So I am on the complete other end of that spectrum.
Purp likes this.
#34 Old 06-26-2015, 03:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by melimomTARDIS View Post
Actually quite a few anorexics use veganism as a cover for anorexia. I learned this a while ago, and do not have any such eating disorders, but there ya go.

If anything, I binge eat when stressed, and am more likely to over indulge than restrict my calories. So I am on the complete other end of that spectrum.
I know that some anorexics are vegan but I genuinely thought all veganism was anorexia (I even harboured deep suspicions about vegetarians). Which serves to illustrate the dangers of inferring causality from a few isolated incidents - I can only blame my youth for this.
no whey jose likes this.
#35 Old 06-26-2015, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrittany View Post
"Cows produce milk year round, they don't have to be pregnant/nursing. If we don't milk them they'll explode."

Some cows do lactate without giving birth but it's hardly enough to even feed a calf.
Yeah I have been told that if we didn't milk cows they would live in constant pain, as the milk would continue to build and they cant relieve themselves.
Purp likes this.
#36 Old 06-26-2015, 08:41 AM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasitha.wijesekera View Post
I have heard this so many times too! Crazy no?

Unfortunately this is so completely illogical. It is like saying (in Nazi Germany): "If I don't kill this Jew/ communist/ homosexual/ gypsy/ learning disabled/ mentally ill person someone else will so it's ok for me to do it."

Just because someone else will do it if you don't doesn't make it ok at all!
Purp and no whey jose like this.
#37 Old 06-26-2015, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

When asked why I dont eat the meat already prepared at the grocery store, "its already dead!" I respond that I'd "rather support veggie products and veggie companies"
no whey jose likes this.
#38 Old 06-26-2015, 10:25 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasitha.wijesekera View Post
So someone else will eat the thousands of hamburgers we don't eat?

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#39 Old 06-27-2015, 09:18 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisley.Dear View Post
"Why do you deprive yourself of good food? "
That's the one I hear a lot! I don't understand how flesh of an animal that has been killed is soooooooo good? It isn't really good for you, doesn't taste that great and morally it's NOT GOOD. I usually just sit there, raised eye brows being like "but tomatoes are good food...sooooo?"
Purp and no whey jose like this.

LeThieu92
Amour sans question, amour simple, amour pour le coeur

#40 Old 06-27-2015, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeThieu92 View Post
That's the one I hear a lot! I don't understand how flesh of an animal that has been killed is soooooooo good? It isn't really good for you, doesn't taste that great and morally it's NOT GOOD. I usually just sit there, raised eye brows being like "but tomatoes are good food...sooooo?"
Exactly! Or when people say that vegan food is bland and tasteless, I think "you must be a terrible cook." I'm not exactly a master chef, and even I can make a delicious pot of spaghetti with garlic and tomatoes!
Purp, LedBoots, LeThieu92 and 1 others like this.
#41 Old 06-28-2015, 11:52 AM

I've heard this one from members of the macho-bro crowd....

"Veganism is for women.
Real men eat meat."
Purp and bearminator like this.
#42 Old 06-28-2015, 01:54 PM
Oryzatarian

"So thats why women live longer!?!"
#43 Old 07-01-2015, 10:11 AM
Riot Nrrrd

On the ED angle, the entire concept of avoidence of specific foods has been medicalized with a made up scary name: orthorexia. Google offers this definition

Quote:
an obsession with eating foods that one considers healthy.

a medical condition in which the sufferer systematically avoids specific foods in the belief that they are harmful.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255

Last edited by Dave in MPLS; 07-01-2015 at 10:14 AM.
#44 Old 07-01-2015, 12:24 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
"So thats why women live longer!?!"
Purp likes this.
#45 Old 07-01-2015, 01:20 PM
Oryzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post
On the ED angle, the entire concept of avoidence of specific foods has been medicalized with a made up scary name: orthorexia. Google offers this definition
To be fair to the medicos, orthorexia (which is not an officially recognized psychological condition) refers to the pathological obsession with eating healthy, not just an interest in eating healthy.
That really could be a problem for some people.
Purp, LedBoots and no whey jose like this.
#46 Old 07-01-2015, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

The argument I have been seeing constantly lately is "but lions and tigers eat meat!"
Purp likes this.
#47 Old 07-01-2015, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminedesi16 View Post
The argument I have been seeing constantly lately is "but lions and tigers eat meat!"
I can't believe there is still people who don't have mirrors at home.
Funny how people always compare themselves to carnivore species. They never compare themselves to herbivore species, nor even omnivore species.
Jasminedesi16 likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Last edited by jessandreia; 07-01-2015 at 03:45 PM.
#48 Old 07-01-2015, 05:48 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

"But I could NEVER live without ______ !" <<<(insert food obsession of choice)

:P
Purp likes this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#49 Old 07-01-2015, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
"But I could NEVER live without ______ !"
That right there, that's one of the most common statements, or its cousin statement "But I'll DIE if I don't eat ______". The problem is communication doesn't seem logical anymore, both the above sentences are factually incorrect when it comes to real world.. its indeed possible to live & live healthier without meat. However if its the taste people are addicted to then that's a whole different thing and has to be expressed as so.

For a lot of years now, people saying illogical things and boasting about them seems to produce shock value & colour to their personality. It gives them a renegade/nihilistic identity & at the same time they also want to conform to what the majority of the world does. Human beings have a mean streak in them which simply cannot go away, I suppose its genetically coded via the reptilian cortex. This can be the only reason why people go against logic most of the time & boast about it as well.
Purp likes this.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

#50 Old 07-02-2015, 08:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
I can't believe there is still people who don't have mirrors at home.
Funny how people always compare themselves to carnivore species. They never compare themselves to herbivore species, nor even omnivore species.
Yeah its amazing how many people compare themselves to carnivores when humans don't have super sharp teeth or nails. It would make more sense to compare ourselves to primates at least.
Purp likes this.
#51 Old 07-05-2015, 10:33 AM
Riot Nrrrd

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?"

Sure it's supposed to be a joke - it's from Beavis and Butthead - but it is funny because it reduces the decision to consume flesh to it's undergirding assumption - essentialism It's animals' purpose to be eaten and meat is obviously proper and necessary food. These assumptions seem absurd when stated so nakedly. Humor results.
no whey jose and bearminator like this.

#52 Old 07-05-2015, 03:38 PM
Oryzatarian

Humor is proliferated when the veg*n recipient of the remark appears to consider the logic calmly and ponderously, then suddenly look surprised, and with a crazed and psychopathic look joyously proclaim...
"And your made of meat too!!"
#53 Old 07-05-2015, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah... I'm going to do that.
#54 Old 07-05-2015, 07:09 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to HappyHousewife
But what about the protein? You can't just get protein from beans. Animals have a different type of protein the body needs. Soon you'll be hunched over and all bones!
#55 Old 07-10-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHousewife View Post
But what about the protein? You can't just get protein from beans. Animals have a different type of protein the body needs. Soon you'll be hunched over and all bones!
This bugs the crap out of me. How much protein do you think you need? 300 grams? Even they would have to eat a lot of calories to get there. And the "all bones" thing is just insulting. I am a thin person and my overweight family members find it a reason to pick on me, when I'm at a healthy weight, and it's a crisis that someone can see a bone through my skin. A new phenomena: being bullied because you're not overweight.
#56 Old 07-10-2015, 07:18 PM
Oryzatarian

Thats not a new phenomena. I was whip thin in the 90's and got teased by overweight kids all the time.
Its on the increase tho, as us healthy people become an actual rarity.
#57 Old 07-11-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
Thats not a new phenomena. I was whip thin in the 90's and got teased by overweight kids all the time.
Its on the increase tho, as us healthy people become an actual rarity.
It's very sad that it's gotten so normal to be overweight that a thin, healthy person is weird and they have to be made fun of or lectured because they need to gain weight. I've gotten that a couple of times and it's really sad.
#58 Old 07-13-2015, 06:50 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Click image for larger version

Name:	offending_skinny1-2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	10737
no whey jose likes this.

#59 Old 07-13-2015, 07:14 PM
Oryzatarian

Ah, the good old days of tuberculosis and famine
#60 Old 07-14-2015, 02:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post
You know, actually, I get annoyed with the "men like women with curves" bit. Now, let me just say that how I have manipulated my weight over the years has nothing to do with wanting anyone to find me attractive. I do remember a few people making comments like this to me when I was very very thin and I found it laughable.

The times when I lost to a very low weight from slightly underweight, I was actually complimented a LOT from both men and women on a regular basis. I was hit on by men far more than when I was a normal weight. My own husband compliments me when I lose weight until I reach a certain very underweight bmi. People very much like "thin" for women from my own experience.

I think it might be different for a man who is on the thinner side than a woman. There is still the stigma of the ideal male with tons of muscle and bigger is better mantra. I have seen people really ream on vegan men who are extremely athletic but on the thin side. I've even heard comments like "well of course he can lift his own body weight...there isn't much there to lift!". as if you can't be strong unless you are huge. Sighs.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page