Americans Abandoning Low-Carb Diets - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-16-2004, 01:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Whole article at http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsst...6035/story.htm

Quote:
USA: July 15, 2004

NEW YORK - So much for the low-carbohydrate lifestyle.

More than half of all U.S. consumers that have tried following diets that eschew carbs such as bread and sugar have given up, a survey released yesterday found, and interest in the popular regimens appears to have plateaued.

According to research firm InsightExpress, which conducted the survey online, fewer than 10 percent of Americans are currently on popular low-carbohydrate diets such as the Atkins, South Beach and The Zone.

In contrast, a survey conducted in December of last year by Opinion Dynamics Corporation found that, at the time, 11 percent of Americans were on low-carb diets.

The latest InsightExpress poll of 500 Americans also found that of survey participants who were not following low-carb diets, fewer than one in five would consider buying a low-carb product because they perceive a diet low in carbs to be unhealthy.

That's unwelcome news for U.S. food companies such as H.J. Heinz Co. and General Mills Inc. that have scrambled in the past year to keep up with the low-carb trend by reformulating staples such as ketchup, cereal and yogurt to reduce their carbohydrate content.

SOURCE: REUTERS NEWS SERVICE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-16-2004, 01:55 AM

THANK GOD(and GODDESS)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i made a collage of low carb ads. its horrid. im super happy now.
#3 Old 07-16-2004, 02:03 AM
Veggie Regular

10% are following that diet? Holy crap.

When only around 2.5% are vegetarian. This news doesn't bring me much happiness!
#4 Old 07-16-2004, 02:07 AM

no but that people are stopping, thats what makes me happy.

you should have seen me when the media started trashing the atkins diet.
#5 Old 07-16-2004, 06:15 AM
Veggie Regular

i hope that the percentages keep dropping.
#6 Old 07-16-2004, 06:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it's good news.
#7 Old 07-16-2004, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeaaaaaa!
#8 Old 07-16-2004, 07:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I think everyone is just annoyed by allo the food that now has low carb versions. It is just friggin annyoing.
#9 Old 07-16-2004, 07:52 AM
Veggie Regular

It is annoying. I go to the "health food store" and it's overrun by frankenfoods.... Ugh!
#10 Old 07-16-2004, 08:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Thank goodness.

People are incredibly stupid sometimes.
#11 Old 07-16-2004, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rincaro View Post

It is annoying. I go to the "health food store" and it's overrun by frankenfoods.... Ugh!

I've noticed that. Even years ago at the health food store, I'd find frankenfoods and think to myself "what the hell are those doing here??!?!" Now it's half the freakin' store! I'm so glad that (according to this article) this trend is going away. I think eating less refined carbs is a wonderful thing, however I hate that people think it's a great excuse to eat animal flesh and call it "healthy".
#12 Old 07-16-2004, 08:42 AM
Rie
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm adding the term "frankenfoods" to my vocabulary... it's a good way to classify those things!
#13 Old 07-16-2004, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

These food companies are so dumb. Did they learn nothing from the low-fat craze? I don't think low-carb is going to go away completely, just like "low-fat" will never go away completely. But, like every other diet craze out there, once people realize that *surprise!* it's not a magic bullet, and that you actually have to pay attention to things like nutrition and exercise, well it's back to the status quo.
#14 Old 07-16-2004, 09:39 AM
Banned

Wait. Last December the number was 11%, and now it is under 10? With a sample size of 500, that is within the margin of error.

Also consider that December being near January 1st (New Year's Resolutions), it would not be surprising for there to be a spike in diets around that time.

<<<Detests poorly done research.
#15 Old 07-16-2004, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm addicted to The Onion...but this was a great article about our 'search for the cure' for obesity...

http://www.theonion.com/news/index.php?issue=4028&n=1
#16 Old 07-16-2004, 10:16 AM
Ex-*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie View Post

10% are following that diet? Holy crap.

As Tame has pointed out, it says fewer than 10% - that could mean anything from 0% to 9,99%. So, in theory, there could actually be more veg*ns than low-carb people. (Not that I believe that is the case.)

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#17 Old 07-16-2004, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:

When I was on Atkins , those frankenfoods made me more than the fiber I am eating now. How healthy can that be?

The low carb craze is dying down, but not fast enough!
#18 Old 07-16-2004, 10:30 AM
Veggie Regular

You don't hear so much about Atkins and low-carb diets like 6 months ago. The books are no longer dominating the store shelves like they were either. That's not surprising at all..things that come on that strong usually lose steam pretty quickly...typical fad.
#19 Old 07-16-2004, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Tame, I thought the same thing myself. I really don't think these stats prove much.
#20 Old 07-16-2004, 10:44 AM
Veggie Regular

>>Wait. Last December the number was 11%, and now it is under 10? With a sample size of 500, that is within the margin of error.

>>

Oh, snap!

Anyone see that carl's junior advert which suggests that you should compensate for previous high-carb binges by ordering their low-carb chicken burger? That wouldn't even work under Atkin's logic...the diet industry is nuts!

ebola
#21 Old 07-16-2004, 10:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

As Tame has pointed out, it says fewer than 10% - that could mean anything from 0% to 9,99%. So, in theory, there could actually be more veg*ns than low-carb people. (Not that I believe that is the case.)

Usually when an article is written this vague, and the intent is to try and show a decrease, the "fewer than 10%" usually means the number is pretty close to 10%.
#22 Old 07-16-2004, 11:01 AM
Banned

No matter what the numbers are, I know one thing is definite. I will NEVER be back on the low carb crap wagon!
#23 Old 07-16-2004, 11:18 AM

That's good to hear. From the media blitz, you'd think that 50% of people were low-carbing.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#24 Old 07-16-2004, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Yup. I didn't post this as any definitive statement. I just thought it was fun to see Reuters putting out a piece that sorta helps usher out Atkins, whether the low-carb craze is really fading or not. You see stuff like that in the headlines, and it's a self-fulfilling prophecy, seeing as so few on these diets are thinking for themselves in the first place...
#25 Old 07-16-2004, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

You see stuff like that in the headlines, and it's a self-fulfilling prophecy, seeing as so few on these diets are thinking for themselves in the first place...

Gawd, isn't that the truth.
#26 Old 07-16-2004, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

We have low carb stores here that carry only low carb products - "one stop shopping for all of your low carb needs." It will be interesting to see what the turn into next.
#27 Old 07-16-2004, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanie View Post

I'm addicted to The Onion...but this was a great article about our 'search for the cure' for obesity...

http://www.theonion.com/news/index.php?issue=4028&n=1

Quote:
"I came down with obesity two years after I got married," 41-year-old Oklahoma City resident Fran Torley said. "I know it was hard for my husband to watch me suffer from this disease. When he caught obesity a year later, he got so depressed, he couldn't do anything but sit on the couch. Some days, we sit and watch television from dawn till dusk, hoping for news of a breakthrough."

Kim said he sees no cure on the horizon.

ETA:
Quote:
While others might have been discouraged by failure, Kim has intensified his efforts.

"I'm in the lab day and night," Kim said. "The other researchers will say 'Come have dinner with us,' but I'm so busy that I have to just grab some yogurt from the vending machine. I'm just too busy running over to the research facility on the west side of campus or carrying samples to the lab up on the fourth floor. I've lost 20 pounds since starting this project in January."

#28 Old 07-16-2004, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

You see stuff like that in the headlines, and it's a self-fulfilling prophecy, seeing as so few on these diets are thinking for themselves in the first place...

Oh, I agree. It plants a seed of doubt as to the effectiveness of the diet, and from there it would have to be a downwards spiral. Let's just hope more people print headlines like this!
#29 Old 07-16-2004, 04:50 PM

I saw a book at the grocery store entitled, "Atkins for Life." Well, at least you wouldn't have to be on the diet very long.

The Rev
#30 Old 07-16-2004, 04:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev View Post

I saw a book at the grocery store entitled, "Atkins for Life." Well, at least you wouldn't have to be on the diet very long.

The Rev

Hah! Good point...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page