#1 Old 04-30-2015, 12:59 PM
Administrator

What Keeps You Coming Back?

Click image for larger version

Name:	coming-back.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	319.3 KB
ID:	8417

How did you find VeggieBoards and what is it that keeps you coming back?
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-30-2015, 01:41 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I think after six years, I would feel a loss if I left.

/kidding

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 04-30-2015, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

It makes for an interesting break from Facebook browsing, and I like talking to fellow vegans.
Werewolf Girl, Purp and CricketVS like this.
#4 Old 04-30-2015, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I love to be able to share with other veg*ns as well! There just aren't that many around in my circle, aside from my sister. I feel safe here and I enjoy the company!

I was vegan a few years when I came to Veggieboards. I used to visit two other forums frequently but both of them died out. I had been eyeing Veggieboards for some time and finally decided to join in. I really like the interesting debates and discussions offered here. I have learned so much since coming here and have received so much support and love from others. The last three years I have been through some major life changes and this place has been so wonderful and people so supportive! I don't think I would have made it without you guys.

I remember one night, back in 2013, I was supposed to go on a wilderness canoe camping trip with my husband. I came down with food poisoning the night before we were to leave and I was too sick and weak to go but I didn't want him to cancel as we had looked forward to it for so long. So he did a solo. So anyway, one night all alone in my house I was missing my husband and imagining him sitting by a campfire and listening to loons. I was lonely and sick. I shared my lament here on Veggieboards. Someone replied with a video of a Northern Minnesota loon calling on a BWCA lake. It was the most touching thing a person could do online and I literally cried with tears of bittersweet joy. People here have been so incredibly generous. I honestly mean that!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 05-01-2015, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator

Oh, I teared up a bit reading that! :')
Purp and Naturebound like this.
#6 Old 05-01-2015, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

sense of community

to feel like their are still people in the world who have empathy towards the plight of animals.

To assure myself that things are heading in the right direction
#7 Old 05-01-2015, 08:01 AM
Administrator

I found VeggieBoards through a Google search.
Purp likes this.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 05-01-2015, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

How did I find VB? From googling after I'd been banned on another forum.

Why do I keep coming back? Reading posts from Naturebound. She constantly gives advice, support, love, compassion and is the best example I know of caring veganism in action.

Meeting new members who are excited about going veg*n, even though they may be facing strong opposition at home.

Joining with all the members in being part of something special, even if the rest of the world, doesn't yet see things the way we do.
#9 Old 05-01-2015, 07:17 PM
Beginner

I can't remember exactly how I found VeggieBoards.. I think I may have been googling why my hair was thinning after going meat-free, and I was lead here

I joined so I could feel like I was part of a community of like-minded people. Like many others, I know hardly anyone who is a vegetarian/vegan and the people around me were getting sick of hearing about new vegan foods I've tried and the latest in the vegan movement... I'm still a little too shy to reply to all the threads I want to, but I'm always reading and learning new things (and forever taking notes on what Naturebound cooks up in her kitchen)
#10 Old 05-03-2015, 12:22 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Maybe I can help with almost 60 years of experience. And a knowledgebase of 500 years (my family and friends altogheter).

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#11 Old 05-03-2015, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator

So basically, we all keep coming back because Naturebound is awesome.
#12 Old 05-03-2015, 03:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
So basically, we all keep coming back because Naturebound is awesome.
blushes...

Thank you whey jose! Very nice of you.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#13 Old 05-03-2015, 09:24 AM
Ankle Biter

I found VB through a google search, too. And I've made many what I hope to be life-long friends. But I've come and gone over the years. When I was a mod here, I was very committed to making VB the best possible place for veg*ns, but finally had to resign over the whole fish egg issue as it seemed completely stupid to me and the arguing about it wore me down. Since then, I pop in and out, out more often than in, as so many of the topics are redundant to me and I have little patience for getting into specific subjects AGAIN and AGAIN. But thankfully new members keep the energy flowing, and I hope VB has a long and healthy future.
karenlovessnow, Purp and LedBoots like this.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#14 Old 05-03-2015, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I've always been a veggie so I never came to this place to seek support or to find people to agree with. Somewhere deep inside though I've always wondered what the world at large thought of vegetarianism. Coming here answered that question to an extent, suffice to say that I realize there are a few people from every part of this earth who've naturally felt the need to go veggie for the sake of peace & humanity.

I also assumed I'd be the only one to be born vegetarian in the forum but then I met others as well with a far better idea of ideal, balanced diets. Quite the ego-deflator that was.

As far as why I'm here, I guess its just a way to extend support/solidarity to the people who come here as their only resort. I may not know too much about diets or have greatly uplifting things to say but I'm sincere when saying I appreciate everyone's efforts to make this earth a better place and if what I write makes a small difference to some reader then that's all I need to know I'm coming back again whenever I can.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

#15 Old 05-03-2015, 10:29 AM
Vegan since 1991

When I come to VeggieBoards, it reminds me that the promotion of vegetarianism is being undertaken by younger generations - very comforting!

The VeggieBoards moderator staff is awesome because it actively watches for the presence of trolls who ruin other veggie forums.
Purp and no whey jose like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 05-03-2015 at 12:37 PM.
#16 Old 05-03-2015, 11:39 AM

To be honest- in my real life- I am hopelessly outnumbered by the sheer volume of meat eaters. I genuinely feel like I am in a very unrecognizable minority. Although I do not spend much time here- I believe I should - whenever I come to this forum- the realization that I am in a community of people who are non-meat eaters like me - gives me enormous strength and I feel I naturally belong in a community like this.

I genuinely feel a kindred spirit with every member of this community even though I have not met any of them here in real life. And that spirit emanates from respect towards animals and understanding that the reality of physical/emotional pain is not limited to just human beings.

Strength is Life. Strength is felicity, life eternal, immortal. The only religion that ought to be taught is the religion of strength and fearlessness.
#17 Old 05-03-2015, 11:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I was looking for a message board where I could ask questions about vegan desserts (my then 5-year-old grandniece was undergoing allergy testing, and couldn't have eggs or dairy)--her mother's half-sister and half-brother moved here, and they both are vegan, and I knew very little about the vegan diet and lifestyle. I had to stick around to ask even more questions (mostly etiquette) about veganism, and haven't left yet...Although I did become a vegan, even if that wasn't the initial response to joining.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#18 Old 05-06-2015, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

I also found VB through a Google search. I was vegetarian when I came here and reading all the amazing posts in the vegan forum is what convinced me to finally go vegan after wanting to and never following through for years.

I am an information junkie and I love learning things and sharing knowledge with others, what keeps me sticking around is all the great things I learn and also knowing that the links and advice I share may help other people to go or stay veg! It only takes one post to reach someone, even if something I share could just help make someone's transition a little easier or make them feel more understood that is a huge deal to me. Every meatless/plant based meal is a victory for the animals and the environment.
Capstan, Purp, LedBoots and 3 others like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#19 Old 05-07-2015, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I found this forum while looking for other veggie parents. Parents of veggies I should say, since I was in the midst of a phase out of meat in my diet, and my son was already veggie.

I dont know many real life vegetarians, and I have heard lots of stories of people getting sick/ not able to stick with their vegetarian diet, so I wanted some support to ensure I would be successful.

When I have recently had trouble with dairy, I knew I could ask the vegans here about what to do, because they are dairy free. I didnt think "well I guess I need to go back to meat"... I thought "better ask a vegan!". And the vegans who responded did so with kindness, which is awesome, and encourages me to make further changes.

The advice given here is awesome, and I hope that in my own way, I am showing the everydayness of vegetarianism. I applaud the raw foodists and plant based folks, but I am putting it out there that I eat cold cereals, conventional produce, and pizza.

Hopefully that honesty reaches someone out there who is considering trying the lifestyle, but is put off by kale and quinoa.
#20 Old 05-17-2015, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I found veggie boards after googling vegetarian forums. I keep coming back because I love the sense of community and the amount of advice I find on here is really great. I love being able to read other peoples experiences with being veggie
no whey jose likes this.
#21 Old 05-17-2015, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

I keep coming back because there's always more people here who want to talk about the things I like to discuss.

I love all the different views. There really are NO reasons not to be veg!
#22 Old 05-18-2015, 12:48 AM
adapt. evolve. become

VB was recommended by someone from another forum (unrelated to veganism/vegetarianism) Someone on the forum made a thread asking if anyone was vegetarian or vegan and I wasn't at the time but it inspired me to give it a go and I never looked back. It was something I'd think of doing occasionally, but that thread was the final push I needed.
It's more friendly than some pages on facebook. Sometimes there are just so many comments it feels pointless to even say anything.
Purp and no whey jose like this.

Last edited by Pirate Huntress; 05-18-2015 at 12:52 AM.
#23 Old 05-18-2015, 01:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Huntress View Post
VB was recommended by someone from another forum (unrelated to veganism/vegetarianism) Someone on the forum made a thread asking if anyone was vegetarian or vegan and I wasn't at the time but it inspired me to give it a go and I never looked back. It was something I'd think of doing occasionally, but that thread was the final push I needed.
It's more friendly than some pages on facebook. Sometimes there are just so many comments it feels pointless to even say anything.
That's awesome! Did you tell the OP that their thread was the one to inspire you to go veg? I know I'd love to hear that.
Purp likes this.
#24 Old 05-18-2015, 01:56 AM
adapt. evolve. become

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
That's awesome! Did you tell the OP that their thread was the one to inspire you to go veg? I know I'd love to hear that.
Yes, I did. I didn't think it would stick, but I really wanted to. After finding out about vegan meat, I wasn't worried anymore. I knew I could do it. Now, I can't imagine living any other way.

Last edited by Pirate Huntress; 05-18-2015 at 02:13 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page