What's your longest internet "relationship"? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 07-05-2004, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a really close friend that I've known online for 10, met about 3 years ago. I have a lot of semi-close friends I've known for 10 years and I've never met. I used to sit in AOL chat when I was younger and less computer illiterate, and I met a lot of people in there that I am still really close to. LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 07-05-2004, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I've got a friend Sam that I've been emailing since my Freshman year of high school. So... thats going on 11 yrs this fall. I've only recently seen pictures of him, I've never spoken to him, we met in a chat room but that was the only time we had live chat, and he lives under an hour away. Weirdest thing is, we're on each other's friendster, and he was looking for a roommate, and a friend of mine was looking for an apartment w/roomies to live in in that area, so I gave my friend his email, and told Sam about him, and as it turns out, my friend Ari had already gone over and met him answering the ad somewhere else. :-o So my friend Ari has met Sam, and I haven't.

That reminds me, I should email him. Its been a while.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#33 Old 07-06-2004, 02:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I think about 4 years. One of my ex's. We still speak occasionally and I saw him not too long ago when I had to go to Miami. All of my other internet friends have sort of faded away.
#34 Old 07-06-2004, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

my girlfriend abby and i met on a women's forum in '98. she moved to my town and married my former roomate in 2001. we hang out every week now. so what's that...seven years? we hardly ever chat online anymore, since the phone works well, and all.

like tame mentioned, i've known many VBers for four years...but i have been out of the real-time chat loop for almost two of those now, since my daughter became mobile!

i have one guy friend who lives in NYC, we've been chatting since january 2001, and send xmas and b'day gifts. i met him once, last summer, and will be seing him again in a couple of weeks.

and i have another girlfriend who i started chatting/emailing with in the summer of 2001, she is coming to visit me this month...our first ever 3D meeting! we got to know each other on the hipmama forums way back in the day and have been fast friends ever since.
#35 Old 07-06-2004, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I have 2 friends. One a I've known for almost 4 yrs. The other for almost 3 yrs. I haven't meet them though. One lives in Australia.(I'm in the US) The other lives In New York (US).
#36 Old 07-06-2004, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been speaking to a guy from the Sijun digital art forums for about 4 years... even though a lot of people over there are not very nice and I left a while ago! Sorta dropped off because I'm in art school and I think he's a little jealous because he can't go (student loans and stuff)... but we still talk occasionally.
#37 Old 07-06-2004, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealracer View Post

dont you ever get tempted to meet them in real life? ive never had a long-term penpal/internet relationship.

I have one internet-friend coming up on four years who I love to death, and the twist is that we "met" in an electronic music chatroom based in Sweden, and we were both in Delaware at the time. Here's the rub: it was the last day she lived here; she went away to college. Also, I still exchange emails and share an occasional IM chat with a girl I first came to know through an IRC channel in '94. We met once when her and her fiance were looking for places in Baltimore City, where I used to live. That may be the single occassional where the fakeworld-realworld transition didn't completely suck, for me. So I have avoided that tempting transition for a few years now.

I think I'll be breaking that streak sometime soon. Hope it doesn't suck again
#38 Old 07-06-2004, 10:48 PM

I have an online friend who I have been chatting with for almost 7 years now. We pretty much have spent our teen years together! We have often talked about meeting, and will eventually. It's awesome though, we legitimately love each other (friendship), and text/talk on the phone at times. I consider him one of my best friends, although we've never met! He's always, always been there for me and knows me better than most people do. He is one of my main confidants- I can trust him. And all he wants is to be sure I am happy no matter what. And of course, I want the same for him.

</rambling> hehe
#39 Old 07-07-2004, 01:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealracer View Post

Interesting as in good or weird daral?

It was kinda awkward, but his personality was almost identical online and offline, so not much of a surprise. I'd say weird, because it was very very unusual to meet someone for the first time and already know him/her.
#40 Old 07-07-2004, 02:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I only started meeting people online about 4 years ago

I have lots of friends that I met here on VB when I first got here about 2 and 1/2 years ago. I even have some close friends from VB who are no longer HERE at VB... I still chat with a few of the old schoolers who dont post anymore.

I value my online friends greatly!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#41 Old 07-07-2004, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a friend in northern California that I still trade emailsl with. We met online in '96. She introduced me (online) to my ex and while we were still together we would send her flowers every year on our anniversary. We've never met in person, although we've attempted it several times, it never worked out.
#42 Old 07-07-2004, 05:58 PM

um. no. i find them odd. "Sue, my boyfriend is just so great!" "Where did you meet?" "Oh, i havent met him really, but his screenname is just so *****en."

Does this sound odd just to me? Wheres the loving?

~Glamboy
#43 Old 07-07-2004, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Is that an actual conversation of simply a dramatic reenactment? hehe

I don't understand that either. I have met SO's online, but I would never consider someone my boyfriend without having met them in person. That said, I think it is entirely possible to form close emotional attachments through a written medium, such as the internet.
#44 Old 07-07-2004, 09:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I would have to say 6 years, and we have met on occasion in real life.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page