Your postmortem - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

#1 Old 03-05-2015, 05:03 PM
Enjoying life!

Your postmortem

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum but I was curious in what others will do once their time is up. How will your body be prepared and your funeral held? Does being environmentally conscious change anything? Does your culture or religion play a part? Have you told family what your wishes are?

I'm still fairly young but I suppose the truth is, any of us could go at any time, and we never think it'll be today or tomorrow. That said, I have given thought to this. As of now, I am very much against being embalmed, as I just don't feel that the chemicals used are good for the environment. I have considered being cremated, but again, am not sure what kind of carbon foot print this leaves. If they could just throw me into a wood box and call it good, I guess that would be fine, too.
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-05-2015, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Cremated.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 03-05-2015, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Frankly, (at moment) I don't really care whether I'm cremated or buried. I'll be dead, so it's not like I'll feel anything whatever they do. I suspect my family would simply bury me though, unless I specifically told them otherwise.
Purp likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#4 Old 03-05-2015, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

I read Soylent Green when I was young and never understood the opposition.

I think I'd like my body to offered at a animal sanctuary for big cats in particular.
vegangel, River, Purp and 2 others like this.
#5 Old 03-05-2015, 06:01 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Cremated and put in a pot with my dad and dog.
Tom, Purp and Naturebound like this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#6 Old 03-05-2015, 07:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Cremated and spread up and down the Long Beach Peninsula in Washington.
River likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#7 Old 03-05-2015, 08:59 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Cremated. And no autopsy! 😨
Purp likes this.
#8 Old 03-05-2015, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

As long as we're talking about it, is everyone here an organ donor? I am. I haven't really thought about anything beyond that, though. Mostly because I don't really care.

--Fromper
Purp and VeggieMonsta like this.
#9 Old 03-05-2015, 10:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
As long as we're talking about it, is everyone here an organ donor? I am. I haven't really thought about anything beyond that, though. Mostly because I don't really care.

--Fromper
I am an organ donor. Made that decision when I was 16.
Purp likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#10 Old 03-06-2015, 02:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I read Soylent Green when I was young and never understood the opposition.

I think I'd like my body to offered at a animal sanctuary for big cats in particular.
Good film Soylent Green. I think you could go for half and half silva, in other words we could all enjoy a Soylent Silva cookie while we watch the lions chomping away on the raw silva that's left. Cheers!

I'm an organ donor and after that it would be cremation.
#11 Old 03-06-2015, 02:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
Good film Soylent Green. I think you could go for half and half silva, in other words we could all enjoy a Soylent Silva cookie while we watch the lions chomping away on the raw silva that's left. Cheers!

I'm an organ donor and after that it would be cremation.
I forgot about that. I am also an organ donor!
Purp and leedsveg like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#12 Old 03-06-2015, 07:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm an organ donor (maybe that's the way to get people to go veg, you know how they say sometimes people 'take on' attributes of their donors? Outreach from the grave, LOL!).

If I'm buried, I definitely don't want to be embalmed. That's both a spiritual and environmental thing. I'd also like one of those biodegradable coffins. They look cool. But I don't know 'where' I'd be. I do like graveyards, so I wouldn't mind being buried. But if I was cremated, I guess I'd like to be scattered near my family farm.

My spiritual beliefs play a part in it. I think that the essence of a person, or animal, sticks around at least for a while. I want it to be a party though, not something too sad. I try to have a healthy attitude towards death and I want that reflected in my funeral.

My family knows that if they don't donate my organs, I'm going to haunt them for all eternity. They know I'm being serious. :P
#13 Old 03-06-2015, 09:55 AM

My plan is to donate whatever is donatable and cremate whatever is left. My family is aware of my plan and it is also in my will.
#14 Old 03-06-2015, 10:07 AM
Enjoying life!

I am a donour as well
Purp likes this.
#15 Old 03-06-2015, 11:29 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

--Fromper
I have an advanced directive and will which state they are to keep my plugged in, on dialysis, give me blood transfusions, whatever is necessary up and until I am truly brain dead. Then they are to pull the plug and donate whatever, ship me off to the crematorium, and put me in my put with my dad and dog (if they are already dead).

/highly organized post-mortem for a twenty-four year old.
Tom and Purp like this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
#16 Old 03-06-2015, 11:33 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I'm not an organ donor.
Purp likes this.
#17 Old 03-06-2015, 02:45 PM
Oryzatarian

Organ donor- if someone needs my kidneys or spleen or nipples or something, rock on

I want to be cremated and be dumped in a river, ocean, compost pile or something.
Hopefully my family will respect that wish, they didnt when it was my fathers turn.
Purp likes this.
#18 Old 03-06-2015, 11:44 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

I will donate my remains to nature after being cremated.
The wind will play with it.
The rain will liquefy it and the ground will swallow it.
I will emerge in plants and trees.
A cow or pig will eat parts of me.
And if not everyone is vegetarian then, I will poison them with obesitas.
Purp likes this.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#19 Old 03-07-2015, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll never die!
Capstan, Purp and LedBoots like this.
#20 Old 03-07-2015, 11:27 PM
Veggie Regular

More than 20 years ago, I had an email signature that read "In a million years, I plan to be fossil fuel." A friend of mine responded that he was surprised I was planning that far ahead.

--Fromper
Capstan, Purp and Beautiful Joe like this.
#21 Old 03-08-2015, 06:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm an organ donor, and whatever is left is to be cremated, mixed with the ashes of my assorted companion animals and then scattered.

However, if it were permitted, I would like to do what Silva wants - have my body fed to animals.
Purp likes this.
#22 Old 03-08-2015, 07:18 AM

I have carried an organ donor card (from the UK) for many years, but now that I'm living in Portugal, I'm not sure whether they will want my organs. I can't donate blood as I lived in the UK during BSE, so maybe the same thing applies to organs?

I am happy for my family to decide what happens to me when I die. I would be happy with no funeral & body disposed of in whatever is the most environmentally friendly manner at the time - I like the idea of being fed to big cats, or maybe the wolves at the Iberian Wolf sanctuary near Lisbon. But I won't be here so I'd leave it to my family to decide on whatever makes them happiest. Or at least, less sad.
Purp likes this.
#23 Old 03-08-2015, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

It would be nice if we had an alternative to cremation. Cremation does generate a lot of toxic byproducts of combustion. In the book Stiff by Mary Roach, she described some kind of dessication and ultrasonic pulverization method that was supposed to be very environmentally friendly. Maybe by the time I pass away that will be a more common option. I'd prefer no embalming for environmental purposes, as well.
River and Purp like this.
#24 Old 03-08-2015, 07:52 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerveggie View Post
It would be nice if we had an alternative to cremation. Cremation does generate a lot of toxic byproducts of combustion. In the book Stiff by Mary Roach, she described some kind of dessication and ultrasonic pulverization method that was supposed to be very environmentally friendly. Maybe by the time I pass away that will be a more common option. I'd prefer no embalming for environmental purposes, as well.
Omg that would be amazing.
Purp likes this.

Quote:
#25 Old 03-08-2015, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
I'm not an organ donor.
I'm quite interested in why you opted out, being in the med field and more knowledgeble
Purp likes this.
#26 Old 03-08-2015, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerveggie View Post
The accompanying music of Good Vibrations by The Beach Boys would fit in very nicely.

Of course if you wished, you'd still be able to have instead a traditional cremation accompanied by Fire and the Crazy World of Arthur Brown

lv
Tom and Purp like this.
#27 Old 03-08-2015, 12:42 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I'm quite interested in why you opted out, being in the med field and more knowledgeble
It's a personal selfish thing, not related to my medical self.

I saw families suffering when their loved ones were kept alive artificially for days awaiting organ harvest, pumped with fluids, alive, yet not alive...I'm 56 so have pretty geezerly organs at this point anyway. They can have my corneas, I put that in there.
Purp likes this.
#28 Old 03-08-2015, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
It's a personal selfish thing, not related to my medical self.

I saw families suffering when their loved ones were kept alive artificially for days awaiting organ harvest, pumped with fluids, alive, yet not alive...I'm 56 so have pretty geezerly organs at this point anyway. They can have my corneas, I put that in there.
I could be wrong as I have not been in this situation, but I would think most of those families would think it was worth it in the end to know that their loved one's death saved a life (or in many cases, multiple lives - liver, kidneys, pancreas, lungs, heart could all go to different individuals). Age of the donor may not matter as much as other medical conditions, and the organs are often evaluated for adequacy prior to transplantation. Bones and other tissues are also used, not just corneas. As part of these decisions, I would want to make sure my family knew that brain death is death -- my consciousness is no more, so they don't need to worry about me suffering anymore. Just some things to consider.

Here are some frequently asked questions about organ donation: http://www.donorrecovery.org/learn/f...ked-questions/

Another option, if you ultimately decide against organ donation, is to donate your body for medical education. This has to be arranged well in advance with local medical schools.
Purp and LedBoots like this.
#29 Old 03-08-2015, 11:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I am an organ donor (Teehee--I said organ ).
Tom, Tom and Tiger Lilly like this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#30 Old 03-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

My viable tissue will be donated to the living, all remaining tissue will be donated to science. I've already signed away the tissue that cannot be transplanted into live people. If there are any scraps left after that, a compost heap would be ideal but knowing scientists they would need to dispose of it as bio hazardous waste. I have not religious, superstitious, or supernatural beliefs and I do think that plays a role in my decision. To me, my dead body means nothing and I don't want it to take up space or cause pollution. If anything good can be done with it, that is ideal. My family knows my wishes and how important this is to me. I have actually appointed a healthcare power of attorney because my mother disagrees and wishes to have me preserved and buried.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page