• 1 Post By MozIsMyShepherd
  • 2 Post By Beautiful Joe
  • 1 Post By Shallot
  • 2 Post By Spudulika
  • 3 Post By jessandreia

#1 Old 02-28-2015, 12:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Can't eat when depressed

Just a random question. Am I the only one here who has this problem? Seems like most people eat a lot when they are depressed. I'm the exact opposite; I can't eat when I'm depressed.
Today was one of those days. I was only able to feel better emotionally and start eating at 5pm, and now it's 4 in the morning and I'm snacking on sunflower seeds because my stomach hurts due to me not eating properly today.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Last edited by jessandreia; 02-28-2015 at 12:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-28-2015, 12:54 AM
Vegan as f**k

If I was properly depressed I think that my appetite would be reduced...I'm sorry you are so sad

Hopefully things will get a bit better soon?
#3 Old 02-28-2015, 01:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vegan View Post
If I was properly depressed I think that my appetite would be reduced...I'm sorry you are so sad

Hopefully things will get a bit better soon?
I am a little better now thanks, although still not completely OK to be honest. But at least I am able to eat.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#4 Old 02-28-2015, 01:03 AM
Vegan as f**k

That's a good start!

Take it easy and try to get some rest...
#5 Old 03-02-2015, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
Just a random question. Am I the only one here who has this problem? Seems like most people eat a lot when they are depressed. I'm the exact opposite; I can't eat when I'm depressed.
Today was one of those days. I was only able to feel better emotionally and start eating at 5pm, and now it's 4 in the morning and I'm snacking on sunflower seeds because my stomach hurts due to me not eating properly today.
I'm sorry you're so down right now. Hope you start feeling better soon.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#6 Old 03-02-2015, 11:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks. I was feeling a little better for the past two days. Sadly, today was crap again, but then I was able to eat a little for dinner, although way out of dinner hours. Hopefully tomorrow, I'll feel better again.
Purp likes this.
#7 Old 03-02-2015, 11:16 PM
Lovable misanthrope

I think with long term ongoing depression you are more likely to overeat, anxiety on the other hand suppresses appetite
Purp likes this.

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
#8 Old 03-03-2015, 04:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Thanks. I was feeling a little better for the past two days. Sadly, today was crap again, but then I was able to eat a little for dinner, although way out of dinner hours. Hopefully tomorrow, I'll feel better again.
You may have heard this before, but one of the ways to get out of your slump, is to make sure you're looking after yourself and that means eating properly.

I know that's difficult, but even if you can just manage to eat something healthy during the points when you would be eating a meal, you might find you feel better. So, maybe not a bowl of cereal, but have an apple. If you don't fuel your body, it gets tired. You're probably already feeling lethargic due to feeling low, so no need to help that feeling stick around.

Something I try to do, is get out in the sun and exercise. It gets my endorphins going and puts me a little bit more on the track of being hungry again.

It's just something I've noticed. I know if I don't eat properly, it can hit me pretty hard in the days that follow. Plus, you don't want to make yourself physically sick, on top of being depressed.

Hope you're feeling better soon.
#9 Old 03-03-2015, 05:53 AM

Hugs. I am exactly the same. When I'm sad, stressed or depressed, my appetite is the first thing to go. I lose weight very easily so it's not something I want to happen but it always does. Luckily I also gain weight quickly so once my mood picks up my weight follows suit. Sending healing thoughts your way.
#10 Old 03-07-2015, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

If I'm moderately depressed, I tend to overeat. When I am really, really, depressed, I can't eat. I don't just lose my appetite, I physically have a problem forcing things down my throat. It's difficult to even stay properly hydrated.

So, no, you're not the only one. I hope you start feeling better soon. *hugs*
Purp and LedBoots like this.
#11 Old 03-12-2015, 06:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm another non eater when depressed. If I'm unhappy (even slightly unhappy) I lose my appetite and all food is unappealing. Today I'm moderately bad tempered and as a result not feeling very hungry.

The only way I've found round it is to have very set meal times and forcing myself to eat something at those times. The second tactic I have is to leave a bowl of nuts and seeds on my desk so that I can just grab a handful when I remember.

Hope you feel better soon.
Purp likes this.
#12 Old 03-12-2015, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Could you deal with juices and smoothies? I know it's hard to force down food when feeling cruddy, but I find liquid meals less challenging.
Purp and LedBoots like this.
#13 Old 03-12-2015, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
If I'm moderately depressed, I tend to overeat. When I am really, really, depressed, I can't eat. I don't just lose my appetite, I physically have a problem forcing things down my throat. It's difficult to even stay properly hydrated.

So, no, you're not the only one. I hope you start feeling better soon. *hugs*
This is exactly what happens to me. Even very light things like lettuce, I can't eat.

I've been less sad lately and have been able to eat well. Thanks everyone.
Purp, LedBoots and Tiger Lilly like this.

#14 Old 03-12-2015, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
This is exactly what happens to me. Even very light things like lettuce, I can't eat.

I've been less sad lately and have been able to eat well. Thanks everyone.
Glad to hear things have been better for you. Hang in there.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page