Big Black (aka Blackie) died today - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-24-2004, 07:17 PM

I just wanted to let everyone know that Blackie had cancer of the stomach and bowels. He had next to no red blood cells left and couldn't walk anymore. He only had a day or two left, so today he spent a couple hours sleeping outside in the sun, surrounded by flowers and birds. Then he had a nice meal of chicken, clams, rice and canola oil - his favourite. I took him in and he died shortly after.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-24-2004, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm very sorry, Krista - good thing you let him have a peaceful, happy final day here. It's always tough to let a loved pet go, and my sympathies are with you!

#3 Old 06-24-2004, 07:25 PM

Thanks.

For those of you that don't remember, Blackie was the stray that showed up on my doorstep last October.

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ighlight=black
#4 Old 06-24-2004, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

So sorry kristadb
#5 Old 06-24-2004, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Im so sorry Kristadb. Mouse and I both love kitty's and we know how much it hurts.
#6 Old 06-24-2004, 07:40 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

That's sad to hear Krista. I like Big Black from what you told me of him. He sounded like my sort of cat. It was good that you got to say goodbye to him in such a lovely way.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#7 Old 06-24-2004, 07:43 PM
Veggie Regular

awww, krista, I'm very sorry to hear about blackie.

:hugs:
#8 Old 06-24-2004, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm so sorry! I hope its some comfort to know you made his last months infinitely better than it would have been had he just lived on the streets. You took such good care of him, he couldn't've had a better mommy!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 06-24-2004, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

#10 Old 06-24-2004, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I'm so sorry! I hope its some comfort to know you made his last months infinitely better than it would have been had he just lived on the streets. You took such good care of him, he couldn't've had a better mommy!

I do feel like I let him down; that I killed him. I know that's stupid, as most people would not have invested 9 months of work and love into him. But that emptiness, that hurt...

he died with his eyes open, looking straight at me. His end was quiet and in a room with the human that loved him the most. I guess there isn't a better way to die.
#11 Old 06-24-2004, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

I do feel like I let him down; that I killed him. I know that's stupid, as most people would not have invested 9 months of work and love into him. But that emptiness, that hurt...

he died with his eyes open, looking straight at me. His end was quiet and in a room with the human that loved him the most. I guess there isn't a better way to die.

At least his death wasn't excruciatingly physically painful for him. I know that may not be of much comfort since it doesn't relieve the emotional pain...don't feel stupid for spending so much time improving his quality of life. Would you rather have had him die on the streets, alone and scared, or after your loving care? I think you did the right thing to take care of him, but I know the pain there is to have done so much only to see it disappear...

I, frankly, would be a little creeped out if my pet died looking at me...but he loved/s you. Sleep well knowing that you have done so much for him though he couldn't express that appreciation in words - and time will heal. His memory shall live on
#12 Old 06-24-2004, 08:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm so sorry.
#13 Old 06-24-2004, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

At least he won't be in pain any more, and it sounds like you gave him a happy, peaceful final day.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#14 Old 06-24-2004, 08:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm so sorry about Blackie... It sounds like you gave him the most wonderful last hours he could possibly have had, and if it weren't for the love and work you invested these past months, he couldn't have experienced that peace. You should feel good about what you did for him -- believe me, he loved you for it.
#15 Old 06-24-2004, 11:13 PM

#16 Old 06-24-2004, 11:14 PM
Veggie Regular

#17 Old 06-24-2004, 11:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm so very sorry Kristad! I know what it feels like to lose a pet (I had 30 cats growing up-yes all at the same time). My thoughts and prayers are with you. Just know that he knows that you did your best for him and he knows how much you love him. God bless you for having such a heart to take him in and do what you did for him. You didn't kill him, you did the opposite-you loved and took care of him. Just think of the quality of life you gave him. He could have been left a stray and died alone and in so much pain. I send you lotz of hugs...You are an angel for animals!!!
#18 Old 06-25-2004, 05:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry to hear that.
#19 Old 06-25-2004, 05:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry to hear that. But feel better knowing you loved him well and made his life better.
#20 Old 06-25-2004, 07:23 AM
Veggie Regular

everyone else has said it already, but he was lucky to have found you to spend his last months with. unfortunately he just had to go, but better he spend his last moments with you than alone in the alley. he probably would have died months ago if he were still in the streets, especially if he wasn't able to walk anymore, he'd never be able to find his own food etc. so just feel better knowing you lengthened his life some and improved it immensely, and i'm sure he must be grateful from where he is now.

besides, they never really leave us

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#21 Old 06-25-2004, 07:50 AM

Thanks everyone. I feel a lot better today. The other cats are looking for him and a little lonely today, so I've had lots of furry hugs already. I'm a lot sicker today then yesterday, but I can't blame my body - yesterday was a hard day.

I cried most of the night, but I'm feeling a lot better today. I know I did the right thing - in taking him in and letting him go yesterday. My bf and I were even considering a porclein replacement tooth for the large one he was missing in front, just to help him eat better. We loved him and he loved us back. All he wanted was to get the first cuddle when I came home from work and that he did. I spoiled him. I gave him everything his little heart could desire. And in the end, I gave him a death b/c he stopped wanting to live.

To Big Black The best cat a girl could ever have.
#22 Old 06-25-2004, 08:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry Krista - I'm sure you're the best Cat Mommy he could have ever had **hug**
#23 Old 06-25-2004, 09:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm so sorry, Krista.
#24 Old 06-25-2004, 11:44 AM

#25 Old 06-25-2004, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm very sorry for your loss. Big Black was a very lucky cat to have you, and vice versa.
#26 Old 06-25-2004, 04:28 PM

Thanks everyone.

I went back to the vet office today to talk to the staff, told them how I appreciated their kindness and support yesterday. It felt good to talk to them, for them to remind me how it was the right thing.
#27 Old 06-26-2004, 01:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I hope my death can be that peaceful. Big Black was sure lucky to have found such a great owner
#28 Old 06-26-2004, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry for your loss. I know the pain. Atleast you gave him a wonderful home. He was lucky he showed up at your home.
#29 Old 07-03-2004, 05:24 PM

The vet sent me a personal letter yesterday. I thought I would share for those here that have also lost animals recently:

Dear Krista and Peter

It is always difficult to say goodbye to a beloved pet, particularly under such tragic circumstances. It took great courage to allow Blackie release from his suffering in a humane and dignified manner. Rest assured that you made the right decision and nothing you could have done differently would have changed the outcome. you have done great things for Blackie and have given him a safe and loving home during the last several months. He was fortunate to have such a devoted family. Blackie was a charming and friendly cat and will be sadly missed. Please accept our sincere condolences for your loss. In deepest sympathy,

<vet's name>
#30 Old 07-03-2004, 05:26 PM
Banned

Very nice letter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page