Do you have a "calling"? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 06-15-2004, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Mine's art, but not fine art. I like the stuff you can actually make a living on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 06-15-2004, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druidus View Post

My callings are nature (lived one of my dreams when I lived as a vegan in the wild, for a time), science (although environment and creature friendly), the advancement of interspecies communication, the advancement of self-led learning, and last but not least, the development of an environmentally friendly, anti-authoritarian, governing style (or non-governing) otherwise known as "eco-anarchism".

Look at my sig.... then meet me, another eco-nut!....(affectionately known as)
#33 Old 06-15-2004, 12:59 PM

I believe my calling is to help children (be a role model for them)...I've been teaching dance since I was 10 or so and I'm going to miss it when I go to college in the fall. Um, other than that....I'm not sure. I'm confused about what I want to do. I was thinking of doing something with children and then I thought nutrition would be good (become an RD) but I dunno. But children definitely. I'm also teaching Sunday school now to 4s and 5s....so I guess my calling came from God Oh, and to keep people aware of the harm that is done to animals and promote vegetarianism...I got one girl in my communications class to attempt to stop eating meat from a speech I made...even though it's only one person, it's one more person making the attempt to stop eating meat which means more support and less animals dying
#34 Old 06-15-2004, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Waves to Muppetcow!!
#35 Old 06-15-2004, 02:24 PM
Beginner

My calling is definatly to be a sound engineer. Nothing makes me happier than when Im behind the desk for whatever show Im doing. I just love everything about it even lifting the equiptment!! It's crazy but I love it and I couldnt do anything else
#36 Old 06-15-2004, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetcow View Post

How do you know? Methinks 1Vegan would look mighty fine in a two-piece.

hehe yum
#37 Old 06-15-2004, 04:19 PM

I've always wanted to be a musician, and I've played all my life. If I could choose, that's what I'd exclusively do. However, I can't make a good living at it, and if I step back and objectively examine my current plight, I'd have to say that maybe I'm called to be what I am, a bankruptcy lawyer. I don't mind saying that I'm really good at it. I'm empathetic with clients, I can almost always get them significant relief from their creditors, I'm tough enough not to take any $hit off any collection agent or creditor's lawyer and I always win. When I say I always win, what I mean is that I've practiced in this area for so long and am so familiar with the system that I know how everything's going to shake out from the inception and I accordingly plan for it, and have my clients prepared. I may get a surprise ruling once every five years or so but they are rare anymore. I know everyone in our bankruptcy system and I get along with them all. I've got enough of a reputation at it that other lawyers who don't know how to do bankruptcy work send me their debtors. I had a client just yesterday tell me that she was really glad that she hired me. I think that's usually the case with most of them even if they don't tell me so. This kind of work fits me for some reason. I think I was put here to do it. There's lots of formerly loaned up folks out there that are glad they met me.
#38 Old 06-15-2004, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Back when I believe in God and all that I thought I had a calling to work with the homeless, using my computer skills.

I don't believe in all that "Calling" stuff now. Instead today I'm working with the homeless, using my computer skills.

That's interesting, kpickell.

So, does it make a difference in where you think this "calling" comes from, whether divinely assigned or self-chosen?
#39 Old 06-15-2004, 06:37 PM

Since everyone else is being serious, I guess I will be, too.

My "calling" would be to write books, make money and start my own charity. I have some great fantasies of the charity and the books; the books I may pull off, but the money and the charity I highly doubt. I also want to get my B.Ed (so I can teach - I already have my B.A.), my M.A., and my picklehead...mostly because I love school and learning. I dont think I'd do well in a traditional school setting for my entire life, but I would use it more for travelling to different parts of Canada and teach for 1-2 stints in remote and/or poor communities.

If this was the Star Trek world, I would open a tiny food cafe and write, without needing to worry about paying my bills...since I wouldn't have bills
#40 Old 06-15-2004, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd like to own a used bookstore someday.
#41 Old 06-15-2004, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

Oh, and spelling errors/typos. Definately.

Don't make me get out the dictionary and make you write the word properly 500 times
#42 Old 06-15-2004, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

I'd like to own a used bookstore someday.

A sax man that I work with often also has a used book store. He loves it but he'd be a starving dude if it wasn't for his other main business, the credit card verification setups at merchants that he administers.

He comes up with some cool books for me at times, he knows I like the firearm and watch books.
#43 Old 06-15-2004, 08:22 PM

I absolutely love working with little kids. Today I...made giant bubbles, raced dumptrucks, ate graham crackers (and about 1000 cups of pretend orange juice), and danced like a maniac . How can you beat that?

My "alternate" calling is to run a movie house. There's nothing so fantastic as a really good (or really bad) movie.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#44 Old 06-15-2004, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana View Post

Don't make me get out the dictionary and make you write the word properly 500 times

#45 Old 06-15-2004, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

My "alternate" calling is to run a movie house. There's nothing so fantastic as a really good (or really bad) movie.

Been there, done that all right. My dad had a drive-in theatre when we were coming along and I used to have to go out there and help run it when I was a teen. It's hard work. I think a smaller venture would be a lot better, though less profitable.
#46 Old 06-15-2004, 11:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm.. I've always loved animals. Since like birth, I guess. I've always had companion animals. So I believe my calling has something to do with animals. Protecting them or caring for them in some way. So being a vegetarian is part of that calling. I've always wanted to be able to have a ranch and adopt lots of animals. I'm happiest when I am around animals. So in the future I hope to do more with animals in some positive way. I also love to write, so maybe I could combine the two or just do both.
#47 Old 06-16-2004, 06:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankruptor View Post

A sax man that I work with often also has a used book store. He loves it but he'd be a starving dude if it wasn't for his other main business, the credit card verification setups at merchants that he administers.

He comes up with some cool books for me at times, he knows I like the firearm and watch books.

Hmm.. maybe I'll open an adult bookstore.
#48 Old 06-16-2004, 08:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

oooh can I co own it with you?!?! hehe
#49 Old 06-16-2004, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

hehe... my friends are always asking me for advice on certain subjects and have suggested that my true calling may be to be a sex therapist.

but i think it's to write poetry, and sleep on a park bench.
#50 Old 06-16-2004, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

this probably sounds like a wimpy calling, but even before I wanted to be a ballerina, I wanted to be a mommy. Even now that I know I haven't got the talent, figure, etc to be a ballerina and I'd never be able to make a real living out of it, I still want to be a mommy.

I also want to be an actress, but, again, it's not practical. If I could make money on my poetry, I'd do that, but that won't happen.

So I think today what I wanna be when I grow up is a mommy and a NICU nurse. Who also teaches dance and does musical theatre in all my nonexistent spare time.

so the conclusion I've come to is the same as I always have: I don't know what I'll do for the rest of my life, but I do know I'll be a mom.
#51 Old 06-16-2004, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Art for me. Definitely. I'm not sure what venue I'll go with, since I feel like there's so much I could do with it; I could go into comics (something I'm looking into doing for the heck of it), animation, fashion design (something I'm interested in but know nothing about), storyboarding, etc. I love drawing and have created my own alternate universe where all my characters exist (and I have a ton of characters, haha). There's so much pleasure to get out of creating these little worlds, having my characters interact and express parts of myself or my opinions in an abstract way that probably only means something to me.

Of course, I wouldn't mind getting into Hollywood...anything to do with the beautification and glamorization of the human form. I know that might not make sense- it's just that I'm obsessed with turning the mundane into something ethereal and beautiful, which I feel is accomplished really well with modelling and film. It's amazing the way a broken out, humdrum songstress can turn into this goddess with some hair and makeup and I absolutely love that.
#52 Old 06-16-2004, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Nope. I am adrift in a sea of ennui.
#53 Old 06-16-2004, 09:34 PM

angel, re: I wanted to be a mommy. - I don't think that's wimpy at all! So many many many many MANY people have children without ever wanting to become mommies.

Bank - that is so cool. I am getting ready to go to the drive-in this weekend, for the 1st time this summer. There's a neat old one here that was saved from destruction last summer after some public outcry. Tis in a pretty tough neighborhood, so there's always an added element of excitement.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#54 Old 06-16-2004, 11:33 PM
Banned

I guess my calling is to help people heal their emotional wounds. Uplift the downtrodden. Be a rescuer. And probably stick my nose in where it wasn't invited. (Sounds really co-dependent, huh.)
#55 Old 06-16-2004, 11:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I dont have a calling,I gota Dodge.
#56 Old 06-18-2004, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystmDwnGrl2 View Post

oooh can I co own it with you?!?! hehe

You'd be the perfect partner in a business like that. ;p
#57 Old 06-18-2004, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

My calling is total world domination. Not that I have a power complex or anything.. But really, I'm very interested in social, yet technical, topics, like Free/Open Source Software and empowering women in technology.. This is part of the plan for total world domination though.
#58 Old 06-19-2004, 04:57 AM
Beginner

No. I don't feel I've a calling (yet).
#59 Old 06-19-2004, 05:03 AM
Veggie Regular

hrm. superhero, I guess... ever since that damned spider bit me.

this is my gift and my curse.
#60 Old 06-19-2004, 05:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post

My calling is total world domination. Not that I have a power complex or anything.. But really, I'm very interested in social, yet technical, topics, like Free/Open Source Software and empowering women in technology.. This is part of the plan for total world domination though.

open source is nice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page