Moral dilemma - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-11-2004, 12:20 AM
Veggie Regular

My boyfriend's mom is visiting us and rented a car. I was going through all the compartments today and found a very nice digital camera in the center console. I thought it was hers at first, but she said it is not. I looked and there are several pictures on the camera, mostly of young men in Navy uniforms. Apparently, whoever rented the car last left their camera in the car and the cleaning people missed it.

I'm a bit stuck on what to do. I really want to return the camera to the owner, but I'm afraid if I just give it back to the rental company and no one claims it, they will just keep it. My boyfriend thinks we should tell the rental company that we found a camera in the car and give them our number to contact us if someone is looking for it, and we'll send it to them. This is the part where I sound horribly selfish. If no one claims it, I would like the option to keep it, rather than gifting it to the rental company.

What would you do in this situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-11-2004, 12:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Your boyfriends idea sounds good. I don't blame you for wanting to keep it if it isn't claimed - why not?
#3 Old 06-11-2004, 12:38 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I'd do what your boyfriend suggests. If you give it back to the rental company and no-one claims it, someone there will just keep it anyway. I can't see that it's being all that selfish to keep the camera if no-one claims it.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#4 Old 06-11-2004, 12:50 AM
kat
Veggie Regular

Once I found a silver bracelet and handed it into the police- after it was unclaimed for 2 weeks I was allowed to keep it. People in the navy are likely to be away for long time periods and I guess hard to trace. Maybe phone up annoumously and ask the company what happens to lost property- if they keep it or wahtever- then you can decide what to do. BTW you would have to buy capables and power leads for the camera- which can work out pretty pricey- and you'd maybe need computer software to be able to transfer the pictures,

Kathy
#5 Old 06-11-2004, 07:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I thought this was going to be about cheating on your boyfriend with me.

#6 Old 06-11-2004, 07:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I would go with your boyfriend's idea.
#7 Old 06-11-2004, 07:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd keep it, but your boyfriend's idea sounds more better.
#8 Old 06-11-2004, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

I thought this was going to be about cheating on your boyfriend with me.

It wouldn't be cheating if I was included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post

Once I found a silver bracelet and handed it into the police- after it was unclaimed for 2 weeks I was allowed to keep it. People in the navy are likely to be away for long time periods and I guess hard to trace. Maybe phone up annoumously and ask the company what happens to lost property- if they keep it or wahtever- then you can decide what to do. BTW you would have to buy capables and power leads for the camera- which can work out pretty pricey- and you'd maybe need computer software to be able to transfer the pictures,

Our policy would be, keep it safe, send it to the owner if s/he claims it. Budget's policy cannot be better. I've seen companies lose (read employees steal) items that were being held waiting to be claimed too many times to think the camera would be more secure with budget than with us.

I have the proper usb cable already, software is a non-issue, it probably is not necessary and if it is it will be available for download from sony's site. The power adapter would be the big expense, a genuine Sony one might run $50. This is probably a $500 camera so if the owner doesn't claim it, keeping it certainly wouldn't be economically unsound.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page