VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   The Veggie Patch (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/16-veggie-patch/)
-   -   Ever get strange stares at the grocery store? (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/16-veggie-patch/160218-ever-get-strange-stares-grocery-store.html)

Kiwibird08 10-20-2014 07:12 PM

Ever get strange stares at the grocery store?

I have been on a "high-raw" diet for a little over a month now, and am trying to do it the right way (which involves eating unspeakable amounts of fresh produce lol). Even more surprising, my husband has been very open to raw foods (who would have thought!) and is now pretty much eating only raw at home (he works in a restaurant, so he eats other things there). Since we are unfortunately unable to afford all organic produce, I have to buy a fair amount from Winco. I have always bought a lot of produce, but there were always other things like chips and cheese and cookies ext... in my cart too. Now it's just comical amounts of produce because my hubby has gotten in on this raw thing too! The only other things I'm buying are healthy foods like oats, nuts, flax kind of things. We are also pretty, er, natural about not using soaps, cosmetics, chemical cleaners ect... and went all cloth several years ago (even the bird has cloth cage liners!), so literally all I have are produce and some random bulk bin healthy items lol. No cleaning products or toilet paper or anything but health foods:D I bag my produce in reusable bags to top off the "insane hippy fruit lady" effect I must have going on.

I have been noticing I'm getting some seriously dirty looks from people! Mainly the ones with carts jammed full of every product that is not healthy and contains little to no nutritional value. I guess they must not approve of a cart full of anything but crap food. I do have to laugh a little though, how strange that must look to the "average" shopper;) So do any of you ever get funny looks due to your vegetarian or vegan grocery shopping?

Auxin 10-20-2014 08:03 PM

I get those a little bit. I grow most my vegetables so it looks even stranger. I think its mostly the checkers (at winco, lol) who notice. I'll buy 25 lbs of brown rice and 25 lbs of oatmeal, apples, and a few onions. Next time they see me I'll buy 25 lbs of pinto beans, 10 lbs of whole wheat flour, apples, and garlic. Its like that pretty much every time I shop, some times I toss in a quart of curry spice or something. I dont use dishwashing or laundry detergent, cologne, etc. No junk food. Just huge bags of unprocessed food.
I season the shopping experience by wearing tie dye. Sort of a way to explain it all ;)

Capstan 10-20-2014 08:05 PM

I eat vegan and gluten-free, but not raw; consequently, a lot of what I buy is packaged. I'm not keenly aware of anyone staring at me, but sometimes, when I'm carefully reading a label, and others are passing me by, I wonder if they ever wonder what it is I find so interesting in the fine print. :lol: So far, no one has crashed their cart, because of me!

seedgirl 10-20-2014 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capstan (Post 3434922)
I eat vegan and gluten-free, but not raw; consequently, a lot of what I buy is packaged. I'm not keenly aware of anyone staring at me, but sometimes, when I'm carefully reading a label, and others are passing me by, I wonder if they ever wonder what it is I find so interesting in the fine print. :lol: So far, no one has crashed their cart, because of me!

People used to stop me and ask about what I was looking for when I was reading labels. I enjoyed being able to share what I was looking for and why.

Anything that I buy packaged now is something where I already know what's in it, so I don't check labels very often anymore.

Kiwibird08 10-20-2014 09:30 PM

Quote:

I season the shopping experience by wearing tie dye. Sort of a way to explain it all
I might need a tie-dye shirt. Then I could wear my "long enough to sit on" hair down (my hair is well past my waist) and perhaps people wouldn't stare so much..... Kind of a "universally understood" thing lol.

Quote:

Anything that I buy packaged now is something where I already know what's in it, so I don't check labels very often anymore.
Be sure to re-read labels on your frequently bought products every few months! Companies do change their formulas and don't notify consumers unless it's a change for the better. Sometimes what they change may not be to your liking health and safety wise either and they don't want the consumer who already buys their product to know anything has changed...

Purp 10-20-2014 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auxin (Post 3434914)
I get those a little bit. I grow most my vegetables so it looks even stranger. I think its mostly the checkers (at winco, lol) who notice. I'll buy 25 lbs of brown rice and 25 lbs of oatmeal, apples, and a few onions. Next time they see me I'll buy 25 lbs of pinto beans, 10 lbs of whole wheat flour, apples, and garlic. Its like that pretty much every time I shop, some times I toss in a quart of curry spice or something. I dont use dishwashing or laundry detergent, cologne, etc. No junk food. Just huge bags of unprocessed food.
I season the shopping experience by wearing tie dye. Sort of a way to explain it all ;)

Just out of curiosity, what do you use when you wash dishes or clothes?

Kiwibird08 10-20-2014 11:29 PM

Just try not using those kinds of products for a week. See if you really find your clothes don't come clean or your dishes stay dirty. Those products honestly aren't necessary (although advertisers have really made it seem like they are!). They aren't good for the environment, exposing yourself unnecessarily to potentially toxic chemicals is never good, not to mention that stuff costs a ton of money! Detergents, softeners and dryer sheets actually degrade fibers and make your clothes fall apart faster too. For cloth products that need to be sterilized, I will use borax and washing soda in HOT water. I do use a natural stain pre-treatment on my hubby's work clothes as needed, but nothing in every load or on every garment. A steam cleaner is with it's weight in gold for household cleaning. Sterilizes with steam and cleans better than any chemical!

Auxin 10-21-2014 01:12 AM

For dishes, mostly just water. I dont use any refined fats, am not into nut butters, and dont do fake meats so water really does get my dishes clean. On the rare occasion I need to I use castile bar soap. I used to sprinkle water on the inside of the dish washer door and rub the door with the soap bar but for the last year or so I just wash my dishes by hand as soon as I'm done with them.
For laundry I get a bar of castile soap wet and rub a couple shirts and toss them in. Works just fine.
For my hands and body, castile soap as needed.
I bought a pack of 3 bars 4 years ago for $3.50, still not entirely used up. Tho I did recently buy another 3 pack in anticipation.
If I was a machinist or mechanic, etc. I imagine I'd go through soap faster.

Naturebound 10-21-2014 02:02 AM

I'm not raw and do buy packaged plant milks, canned tomatoes, tempeh or tofu etc but I also buy a lot of produce and bulk, like well over 2/3 of my cart. I also use mesh produce bags for bulk/produce and use cloth bags in place of plastic at checkout. It takes the checkout person a long time to take all my fruit/veggies out of the cloth bags and ring them up. I have seen people behind me sigh, shift feet, and move to other aisles lol. People have no patience nowadays. Everything is all about convenience and instant everything. But I have also had a lot of people compliment how healthy I eat. :) Of course, I do have the occasional maple syrup or coffee in there too. I am far from perfect but I have eaten mostly very healthy for a long time.

As a side note, I once saw someone ahead of me at a Whole Foods Coop unload all produce and bulk nuts/seeds/ onto the belt. Not a single can or plastic bag. All raw. So they packed it up and headed outside only to get into a large SUV and drive off lol. I guess no one is perfect, but it was still great to see people eating so healthy.

WolfBird 10-21-2014 03:38 AM

I have a tendancy to walk around manually without my mind actually being present so I've probably not even noticed such stares.

My sister tells me though that when she does her healthy vegan shop she is the one who tends to stare at other people's baskets in shock. :p

Kiwibird08 10-21-2014 09:37 AM

Quote:

I also use mesh produce bags for bulk/produce and use cloth bags in place of plastic at checkout. It takes the checkout person a long time to take all my fruit/veggies out of the cloth bags and ring them up.
Just a suggestion, but it makes things go much quicker if you peel off one of the stickers and stick it on the outside of the bag. Then they just need to count how many are inside instead of having to pull one out to get the code:) I don't even bother to bag things like bananas or pomegranates or if it's something I'm only buying one of (some fruits/veg I buy for my bird, but don't care for them myself so only buy one). I always get such strange looks when using those produce bags, but the plastic ones are just so wasteful! I bring ziplock bags from home when buying things like flour. You can wash, dry and re-use good quality ziplock bags about 20 times each before they need to be tossed.

As for cars, you never know how people drive. I have a Mustang, so not the most fuel efficient car on the planet, but I've had it a long time and keep it well maintained. The same was true when I had my Explorer (SUV), which I would probably still have had it not been totaled. I walk A LOT, consolidate errands/trips out, take public transport when I'm going downtown (the parking sucks anyways) and only end up driving around 30 or so miles a week. I only go through about $30 a month in gas. Getting a new car for the extra gas milage, in my case at least, would be a waste of new materials (especially since my car wouldn't be headed to a junkyard anyways and would likely be driven far more by someone else). Sometimes it's better to keep the car you have than increase the demand for new ones that need new materials to be made. Who knows, the lady in the large SUV may have been being conscious with her driving too!:)

LedBoots 10-21-2014 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfBird (Post 3435090)
I have a tendancy to walk around manually without my mind actually being present so I've probably not even noticed such stares.

My sister tells me though that when she does her healthy vegan shop she is the one who tends to stare at other people's baskets in shock. :p

The other day there was an obese man with an obese child of about 8 with him. His cart was filled with the most unhealthy food I've ever seen. :(

WolfBird 10-21-2014 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LedBoots (Post 3435194)
The other day there was an obese man with an obese child of about 8 with him. His cart was filled with the most unhealthy food I've ever seen. :(

It's sad to see that, particuarly young kids. Majority of folk are now obese the average weight over here looks to be around 18 stone. They are too trusting of the products put on the shelves and usually don't care anyway.

Auxin 10-21-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LedBoots (Post 3435194)

Sadly I see that all the time, as in every time I shop. Its far more common a sight than a cart full of vegetables being pushed by a healthy person.
Its funny, in the pharmacy workers have the recognized right to refuse to dispense medication they deem immoral. If a pharm tech doesnt believe in birth control or STD barriers they call over someone else or send the customer to another pharmacy and its legal. I wonder what would happen if a store checker refused to sell junk food to a morbidly obese parent being orbited by morbidly obese children. Admittedly I dont know the minutiae of other religions, but in mine knowingly helping someone to cause physical harm to children is considered immoral.

Kiwibird08 10-21-2014 11:38 AM

What gets me is when people question a parent who raises their child on a healthy vegetarian/vegan diet like they are starving them. "A growing child needs protein you know!, Where do they get vitamins....and protein!" Yet no one questions the parent cramming twinkles and happy meals down their kids throat! "They got their meat today, good job being a parent!" for the junk food parents seems to be the general consensus...

WolfBird 10-21-2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auxin (Post 3435250)
a morbidly obese parent being orbited by morbidly obese children.

Hahaha, I like that! :b

It is a sad sight to see though.

Naturebound 10-21-2014 04:48 PM

When I was a kid my Mom was a binge eater. She would take me to the store and she would load the grocery cart with Dove bars, ice cream, chips, donuts, pop, sugared cereal, you name it. I was always so humiliated and embarrassed to be seen with all that. My sister and I were tiny and very active. I craved health food despite being brought up in a household where we didn't have many dinners at the table together. That was rare. Thankfully our neighbor was an avid gardener and was always bringing stuff over for us. Sometimes my sister and I had sugared cereal for dinner as we were latch key kids and were not taught to cook (and there wasn't much to cook in the house). I hate to make my Mom sound so bad. She worked really hard and was going to school and earning her PhD and teaching while raising two daughters..one with paranoid schizophrenia and in and out of hospitals...by herself. But I didn't come from the healthiest family as far as food. Ironic that I became anorexic for years as an adult. I still struggle with it to a mild extent. My Mom still struggles with binge eating. She has been obese since she was 26 (69 now) but was rail thin before that. When she tried to go vegan, she lost a ton of weight over the six months she was vegan and I had high hopes that she would overcome her issues, but then she went back to eating meat and now she gained back all her weight and then some. She won't even try to go vegan or even vegetarian again. :/

Naturebound 10-21-2014 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 (Post 3435170)
Just a suggestion, but it makes things go much quicker if you peel off one of the stickers and stick it on the outside of the bag. Then they just need to count how many are inside instead of having to pull one out to get the code:) I don't even bother to bag things like bananas or pomegranates or if it's something I'm only buying one of (some fruits/veg I buy for my bird, but don't care for them myself so only buy one). I always get such strange looks when using those produce bags, but the plastic ones are just so wasteful! I bring ziplock bags from home when buying things like flour. You can wash, dry and re-use good quality ziplock bags about 20 times each before they need to be tossed.

As for cars, you never know how people drive. I have a Mustang, so not the most fuel efficient car on the planet, but I've had it a long time and keep it well maintained. The same was true when I had my Explorer (SUV), which I would probably still have had it not been totaled. I walk A LOT, consolidate errands/trips out, take public transport when I'm going downtown (the parking sucks anyways) and only end up driving around 30 or so miles a week. I only go through about $30 a month in gas. Getting a new car for the extra gas milage, in my case at least, would be a waste of new materials (especially since my car wouldn't be headed to a junkyard anyways and would likely be driven far more by someone else). Sometimes it's better to keep the car you have than increase the demand for new ones that need new materials to be made. Who knows, the lady in the large SUV may have been being conscious with her driving too!:)

Thanks for the idea about the sticker! Some of my stuff I don't bag either, but I am paranoid about some of the crap that gets left on the checkout belt. I need to get in a habit of bringing something to wipe it down as the clerks don't always get to it. I bag all my leafy greens though in my mesh bags. Like you I also reuse ziplock bags, especially for stuff I store in the freezer. They last a long time!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxcarrotfanatic 10-21-2014 05:15 PM

Recently I got a very peculiar look when the check-out lady was ringing up all my items, especially since I stocked up on so many carrots, tomatoes, and other leafy greens. I think she was going to ask me something about my eating habits but I think she kept it to herself.

Auxin 10-21-2014 07:07 PM

Yeah, the checkers usually hold their tongues, they dont want bad reports.
Its when I buy asian stuff at asian stores that they actually ask. Apparently its not too common for white guys in their 30's to buy durians, betel leaf, chinese dates labeled only in chinese, teas popular only with chinese grandmothers, etc.

Kiwibird08 10-21-2014 07:45 PM

I would rather the cashier ask politely than roll their eyes and give that look of utter confusion they do!

Auxin 10-21-2014 08:19 PM

If theyre look is that bad, just play with them.
Like nod knowingly and say "yup, I breed monkeys" like its an ordinary hobby and the usual reason for buying fruit and veggies.
Or look distressed, staring at your own groceries disbelievingly, and say "I never should have urged my kids to eat their vegetables".

Naturebound 10-22-2014 02:32 AM

That reminds me. Sometimes when the checkout person goes through my produce, they have to ask what every other item is lol. I have seriously had people ask me what the collard greens are, and jicama, kale, squashes, even zucchini. The younger checkout workers are the worst ones with this.

Orchid 10-22-2014 03:16 AM

I don't think I've noticed other customers looking weirdly at our cart, but the checkout people sometimes react ... very subtle. I guess that they get tired because they have to manually register all the produce and we buy a lot! I've also noticed what Naturebound says above. They have to ask me what I'm buying.

Purp 10-22-2014 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 (Post 3435026)
Just try not using those kinds of products for a week. See if you really find your clothes don't come clean or your dishes stay dirty. Those products honestly aren't necessary (although advertisers have really made it seem like they are!). They aren't good for the environment, exposing yourself unnecessarily to potentially toxic chemicals is never good, not to mention that stuff costs a ton of money! Detergents, softeners and dryer sheets actually degrade fibers and make your clothes fall apart faster too. For cloth products that need to be sterilized, I will use borax and washing soda in HOT water. I do use a natural stain pre-treatment on my hubby's work clothes as needed, but nothing in every load or on every garment. A steam cleaner is with it's weight in gold for household cleaning. Sterilizes with steam and cleans better than any chemical!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auxin (Post 3435042)
For dishes, mostly just water. I dont use any refined fats, am not into nut butters, and dont do fake meats so water really does get my dishes clean. On the rare occasion I need to I use castile bar soap. I used to sprinkle water on the inside of the dish washer door and rub the door with the soap bar but for the last year or so I just wash my dishes by hand as soon as I'm done with them.
For laundry I get a bar of castile soap wet and rub a couple shirts and toss them in. Works just fine.
For my hands and body, castile soap as needed.
I bought a pack of 3 bars 4 years ago for $3.50, still not entirely used up. Tho I did recently buy another 3 pack in anticipation.
If I was a machinist or mechanic, etc. I imagine I'd go through soap faster.

Thank you both for your answers. I was wondering how that worked. :)

Vanilla Gorilla 10-23-2014 08:55 AM

I buy a 40lb case of bananas every week at the same store. One cashier had noticed my on going purchase and said to me "what's with the bananas, are you feeding monkeys?" I replied "just one." :-)

TheVeggieCat 10-23-2014 09:44 AM

^_^ Yes yes yes and It's lot's of fun too. I love rolling through the aisles with my basket of veg. (I literally have a straw basket). I love when people give me "the look" as I go up to the cashier and place 99 percent of the produce section on the belt. I had one lady behind me with nothing but TV dinners. She asked me if I was on a diet, to which I replied; "Nah, just Vegan." "Vegan?" She said, "What's that" (Understand Y'all I live in South MS.) I explained to her I eat not milk nor eggs, no cheese nor meat, I wear not leather nor wool, and animal products I avoid all together. She replied. "I could never do that, I HAVE to have my meat." To which I smiled and nodded. I had heard the same response a million times before. Ah well.

Crochetlove 10-23-2014 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naturebound (Post 3435778)
That reminds me. Sometimes when the checkout person goes through my produce, they have to ask what every other item is lol. I have seriously had people ask me what the collard greens are, and jicama, kale, squashes, even zucchini. The younger checkout workers are the worst ones with this.

This happens to me all the time! It's especially bad with leafy greens, but I guess if you don't eat them all the time some of those (like bok choy vs baby bok choy vs choy sum) look really similar, so it's usually when they have to ask me what a parsnip or an eggplant is that I just want to take them home with me and cook for them.

I don't eat raw, but I do eat a lot of veggies. Usually my cart is all veggies plus almond or soy milk, coffee, and maybe some tofu or soy yogurt or vegan mock-product (I like to try out different things. Even if I don't feel like I need them inmy diet, it can be really useful to have a list of those things that are actually good enough I can recommend them if I have people ask me about them.) The processed food I buy only seems to reinforce the idea that I'm eating crazy!

The worst shopping trips though are when I go to stock up on staple foods. I buy pasta, canned tomatoes, beans, rice, and some spices in bulk just three or four times a year. I make a special trip to go wherever I can buy that stuff the cheapest, because it ends up being worth it in the long run. When I go to check out I've been asked more than once "Oh, are you donating to a food pantry?" Nope. I just happen to actually need 25 pounds of rice.

H=N/C 10-23-2014 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 (Post 3434866)
I have been noticing I'm getting some seriously dirty looks from people! Mainly the ones with carts jammed full of every product that is not healthy and contains little to no nutritional value. I guess they must not approve of a cart full of anything but crap food. I do have to laugh a little though, how strange that must look to the "average" shopper;) So do any of you ever get funny looks due to your vegetarian or vegan grocery shopping?

Great question! I get dirty looks all the time, especially from the people who are the most overweight and buying the most junk food. Its like they know deep down that they're killing themselves for pizza & donuts, and they're angry that some people want more out of life. Ever notice that when you're in a social situation with people eating a lot of junk food, they get irritated if you just politely say no thanks? As though its weird or un-American that you don't want to stuff yourself with crap.

You also hear some funny things when you do most of your shopping in the produce section. Yesterday I saw an overweight woman bag a head of kale and put it in her cart full of junk food. Her obese husband asked her "what's that?" as though she wanted him to eat grass. She said it was kale and really good for you. He just watched her put it in the cart in irritated silence. This guy was my age (27), my height (5'8") and about 150lbs heavier. He was so fat his sides bulged from under his t-shirt. From their cart it looked like he was personally eating $100 worth of junk food this week. Its like he just has no personal standards or sense of shame...

H=N/C 10-23-2014 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanilla Gorilla (Post 3436442)
I buy a 40lb case of bananas every week at the same store. One cashier had noticed my on going purchase and said to me "what's with the bananas, are you feeding monkeys?" I replied "just one." :-)

40lbs?! That's 160 medium bananas. Can you seriously eat that in a week?