Ever get strange stares at the grocery store? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 131Likes

#31 Old 10-23-2014, 05:09 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by H=N/C View Post
40lbs?! That's 160 medium bananas. Can you seriously eat that in a week?

Awe man I got ripped off! There were only 130 bananas in my last box. 40lbs/week easy. I'll eat less if there are other fruits worth buying. It just depends on the season. I eat five to six meals per day. I pretty much always have six to eight bananas in my morning green smoothie and eight to ten for lunch wrapped in romaine. From time to time I loose some to my kids.
ilikekale likes this.

Spare a heart, eat a plant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 10-26-2014, 01:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Gorilla View Post
Awe man I got ripped off! There were only 130 bananas in my last box. 40lbs/week easy. I'll eat less if there are other fruits worth buying. It just depends on the season. I eat five to six meals per day. I pretty much always have six to eight bananas in my morning green smoothie and eight to ten for lunch wrapped in romaine. From time to time I loose some to my kids.
You eat more in a day than I do in a week. How long does it take you to eat six meals?
#33 Old 10-26-2014, 02:41 PM
No flesh since 99'

Quote:
Ever notice that when you're in a social situation with people eating a lot of junk food, they get irritated if you just politely say no thanks? As though its weird or un-American that you don't want to stuff yourself with crap.
That totally reminded me of what has become known as "the hot dog incident"! I totally think people find anything but meat 3 meals a day "un american". We used to live in a rather "rural" area where veg/ans were looked at very negatively (ranching area). Well, one day I was out running errand and was absolutely starving so I grabbed a salad at the little cafe in Target because it was the "healthiest" thing they had. Anyways, I was minding my own business, eating my salad when this guy came up (clearly trying to hit on me) and started asking if he could buy me something. At first I politely declined, but he was trying to insist on buying me a hot dog "since you could only afford a salad" (because *obviously* the salad that cost MORE than one of those nasty hot dogs was "all I could afford"). So I told him I don't eat meat and could he kindly leave my table. He got this stunned look on his face and ask "you don't eat MEAT???"...."nope" and without hesitation, he scrunched up his face in disgust and told me "well that's just un-American" and huffed off! When I told my husband he now JOKINGLY 'reminds' me all the time that it's "un-American" to eat salads lol. While quite amusing in some regards, I find that kind of mindset sad and uniformed. A lot of people seem to share that view too. People really do look at healthy foods as "rabbit food" and "un-American". Our societies view towards food is just dismal.
DTASFAB likes this.
#34 Old 10-26-2014, 02:47 PM
No flesh since 99'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Gorilla View Post
Holy Bananas lol! 40lbs? Is that for you individually or you're entire family? I've been doing (give or take) about 30-40 a week (depending on what else I buy) of them and thought I was eating a lot. Do you eat anything but bananas? (sorry, had to ask! that seems like a lot of one food!). I've been trying to "eat a rainbow" every day (i.e. eat fruits or veg of every color every day) so I get a well rounded diet. I find I struggle to eat enough (though it's getting easier to eat the massive raw meals, it's been 6 weeks now).
#35 Old 10-26-2014, 03:03 PM
Oryzatarian

Not stuffing oneself with crap is un-american.
'American', from a sociological perspective, implies relative conformity to the culture as a whole.
Therefore un-american activities include: not eating junk food, not eating meat, putting serious thought into who you vote for, jogging, all kinds of things. Theres nothing inherently wrong with not being american- just ask the canadians or the french. Unfortunately people usually take the unfounded leap from un-american to anti-american, sort of like 'if your not one of us you must be some communist trying to traumatize us with bok choi and broccoli'.
slywlf, mecanna and DTASFAB like this.
#36 Old 10-26-2014, 05:03 PM
Bracing for snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedgirl View Post
Anything that I buy packaged now is something where I already know what's in it, so I don't check labels very often anymore.
Yeah, you need to watch that. Company's change contents fairly frequently these days and what might have been seedgirl approved last week, may not be next week.

Don't get me wrong, I'm the same way, but I do try to double check things periodically. Of course, as I get older I can't remember what the heck was in it last week anyway, so I HAVE to reread the label. <sigh>

Ken
Veg-Jill, seedgirl and 3xblessed like this.
#37 Old 10-26-2014, 05:35 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
'American', from a sociological perspective, implies relative conformity to the culture as a whole.
Therefore un-american activities include: not eating junk food, not eating meat, putting serious thought into who you vote for, jogging, all kinds of things. Theres nothing inherently wrong with not being american- just ask the canadians or the french. Unfortunately people usually take the unfounded leap from un-american to anti-american, sort of like 'if your not one of us you must be some communist trying to traumatize us with bok choi and broccoli'.
Lol!
#38 Old 10-28-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
Holy Bananas lol! 40lbs? Is that for you individually or you're entire family? I've been doing (give or take) about 30-40 a week (depending on what else I buy) of them and thought I was eating a lot. Do you eat anything but bananas? (sorry, had to ask! that seems like a lot of one food!). I've been trying to "eat a rainbow" every day (i.e. eat fruits or veg of every color every day) so I get a well rounded diet. I find I struggle to eat enough (though it's getting easier to eat the massive raw meals, it's been 6 weeks now).
Yes I try to also eat a rainbow of foods daily. I stick to fruit and some veggies during the day. Always raw. It just depends what fruit is worth buying. I've always been a good eater. I like large portions. Eating lots of veggies in a meal is satisfying. I look for recipies that are for 6 people so I get two meals out of them. Of course they have to be healthy. I don't use oils and vinegars. I go easy on overt fats. Things like that.
#39 Old 10-29-2014, 01:09 PM
Give peas a chance

Quote:
Unfortunately people usually take the unfounded leap from un-american to anti-american, sort of like 'if your not one of us you must be some communist trying to traumatize us with bok choi and broccoli'.
Such as this, from one of the politicians where I live, who is also on the Republican National Committee......

"Shawn Steel, husband of county supervisor candidate Michelle Steel, has debuted the vegan smackdown. Steel was in prime form when he gave a talk to the Newport Mesa Tea Party on Aug. 14, displaying his trademark blend of erudition, libertarianism and hyperbole. But when he came to mentioning Democratic state Senate candidate Jose Solorio, Steel delivered a line that was remarkable even by his standards. “I got nothing against Jose Solorio, but he’s a vegan. What a freak!” Steel said, drawing chuckles. “That’s like a fascist. That’s like ISIS.”"

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/s...e-solorio.html

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#40 Old 10-29-2014, 01:46 PM
Meat Free Since Dec 2013!

I get weird looks, but I think it's because they think I'm schizophrenic or something. I'm shopping for the whole family and I'm the only vegetarian. We have one diabetic who cheats a lot, one vegetarian, and one self-proclaimed "meatatarian." Therefore, my grocery cart runs the gamut from really healthy to really nasty. I've seen a lot of looks of confusion when the cashier rings up organic produce and bulk bin items along with pop-tarts and pork sausage. Try keeping the food from cross-contamination when it's all in one cart (LOL).
3xblessed likes this.
#41 Old 11-07-2014, 02:01 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

i wear headphones when i shop and i stare at people's cart and make severe judgements about them and invent stories about their lives as we're standing next to each other in front of the tower of half priced wine at the endcap at whole foods

i am the one who stares
mecanna and Kiwibird08 like this.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#42 Old 11-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Oryzatarian

#43 Old 11-07-2014, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post
i wear headphones when i shop and i stare at people's cart and make severe judgements about them and invent stories about their lives as we're standing next to each other in front of the tower of half priced wine at the endcap at whole foods

i am the one who stares
I know you're being sarcastic, but by not judging people you're missing out on one of life's greatest pleasures. Half the fun of being lean is being better (in one key respect) than the fat people around you. Half the fun of getting A's on tests (especially in technical subjects) is demonstrating more competence than the B/C students.

Last edited by H=N/C; 11-07-2014 at 05:45 PM.
#44 Old 11-07-2014, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I live in a teeny rural town in a small rural county. We have one grocery store, and we are all neighbors here.

Over the course of a year I went from a womens size 16 to a women's size 0. The cashiers have asked me quite a few times how I lost the weight...

Im shy, so I just say, "with this stuff" *Gestures to the fruits/veggies/dried beans/skim dairy/grains/potatoes going down the conveyor belt*

"yup, that'd do it!" says the cashier.
#45 Old 11-07-2014, 06:54 PM

I sometimes get funny looks when I waaaay too excited to get to the produce section and I am practically skipping from item to item taking one of these and two of those.... but luckily for me, usually the only other person in that section of the store is the dude re-stocking it all so I pretty much figure he has seen it all at this point :P Then for my last stop I go to the tiny section of frozen veggies and I glanced down the aisle and saw everyone huddled around the pre-packaged, over-processed meals and I was oh, that's where everyone is :/

"To the beaten pig, I hear your screams; to the scolded chicken, I feel your pain; and to the stunned cow, I see your suffering. It is real to so many of us who value your life on earth as much as our own. We are no more important than you. We are so sorry that humans possess so little mercy for those whom they have the power to abuse. We will do everything we can to end your misery until the day we die. You are not alone."
#46 Old 11-07-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedgirl View Post
People used to stop me and ask about what I was looking for when I was reading labels. I enjoyed being able to share what I was looking for and why.

Anything that I buy packaged now is something where I already know what's in it, so I don't check labels very often anymore.

That's what i was going to say, no stares that i'm aware of but 'what are you looking for if you don't mind me asking' because everything with a label gets examined!
#47 Old 11-07-2014, 07:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneHere3 View Post
to the scolded chicken, I feel your pain;
You can scold a chicken? Does it care?
#48 Old 11-08-2014, 09:40 AM
American Made, Rebel Born

Quote:
I know you're being sarcastic, but by not judging people you're missing out on one of life's greatest pleasures. Half the fun of being lean is being better (in one key respect) than the fat people around you. Half the fun of getting A's on tests (especially in technical subjects) is demonstrating more competence than the B/C students.
i am 1,000% not being sarcastic and that's kind of sick that you think that holding something over someone else as some sort of superiority thing is fun? that's actually really terrible and that really bothers me. the only fun about getting all A's is knowing that you worked hard and it paid off, since we all know grade scores don't equal intelligence. being 'lean' doesn't mean you're healthy. things that only make you feel good when you can sneer at someone else about them isn't healthy and i don't think that's normal or something you should be proud of. that kind of attitude also contributes to the global hatred and resentment of veg*ns. we should be supportive and encouraging of people who are trying to be healthier, trying to study harder, instead of the nyah nyah nyah i'm better than you 12 year old bully thing you've got going on.

i like when i go shopping with my SO and we fight over the fake meat we're going to get and there is another interracial couple in front of the veganaise having the same fight. we usually get really quiet and watch they do. classic or grapeseed oil? it's the whole foods where all the famous people shop/eat who are in town to make a movie or whatever. india arie buys a crap ton of coconut water. does she really like coconut water? it takes like hot tomato juice without the vodka or tabasco. jennifer lawerence loves those fried tofu cubes. me too j-law, me too. i feel like i know a lot about the city i live in by watching what people buy, even if it's topically and maybe not the best sample (whole foods). i did a project with work over the summer where i had to get a bunch of people's favorite songs. Turns out Atlanta's (group of 300 people 18-48) favorite bands are Talking Heads and OutKast. I loved finding that out. Atlanta buys a lot of the grapeseed veganaise. At least while I'm watching.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#49 Old 11-08-2014, 10:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
since we all know grade scores don't equal intelligence. being 'lean' doesn't mean you're healthy.
Well someone who gets A's in a well-taught calculus class (with tests that ask real questions) is clearly competent. And leanness is a good predictor of health when you're on a healthy diet.

Also, I don't really understand most of your second paragraph, but I'd highly recommend skipping the processed soy products. Grapeseed oil is pretty bad too. It significantly reduces your O3:O6 ratio, causes oxidative stress in your arteries, and has almost no nutrients.

Last edited by H=N/C; 11-08-2014 at 11:04 AM.
#50 Old 11-08-2014, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

You all have FAR more interesting grocery stores than I do.
ShadowTears likes this.
#51 Old 11-08-2014, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
i am 1,000% not being sarcastic and that's kind of sick that you think that holding something over someone else as some sort of superiority thing is fun? that's actually really terrible and that really bothers me. the only fun about getting all A's is knowing that you worked hard and it paid off, since we all know grade scores don't equal intelligence. being 'lean' doesn't mean you're healthy. things that only make you feel good when you can sneer at someone else about them isn't healthy and i don't think that's normal or something you should be proud of. that kind of attitude also contributes to the global hatred and resentment of veg*ns. we should be supportive and encouraging of people who are trying to be healthier, trying to study harder, instead of the nyah nyah nyah i'm better than you 12 year old bully thing you've got going on.
Beautifully said and I agree 100%.
ShadowTears and slywlf like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#52 Old 11-10-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Well someone who gets A's in a well-taught calculus class (with tests that ask real questions) is clearly competent. And leanness is a good predictor of health when you're on a healthy diet.

Also, I don't really understand most of your second paragraph, but I'd highly recommend skipping the processed soy products. Grapeseed oil is pretty bad too. It significantly reduces your O3:O6 ratio, causes oxidative stress in your arteries, and has almost no nutrients.
Someone who gets A's in a well taught calculus class is competent in calculus. That's not an indicator of anything beyond proficiency in a very specialized area of study. Some of the most dysfunctional humans I've encountered were math majors. And, as I'm sure you know, leanness in and of itself is not a gauge of anything other than winning the genetic lottery for body frame. I assume that's why you had to tack on that disclaimer of being lean on a healthy diet. That still doesn't indicate that the person is in actual good health, despite eating well.

I agree with Kenickie. Maybe you don't intend to come across all 'Mean Girls' but you seem to veer into that territory when it appears that people don't meet your expectations or when someone throws a roadblock in front of you.
ShadowTears likes this.

"Compassion is ethical intelligence: it is the capacity to make connections and the consequent urge to act to relieve the suffering of others." ~ Will Tuttle

Last edited by Raised By Wolves; 11-10-2014 at 10:38 AM.
#53 Old 11-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raised By Wolves View Post
Someone who gets A's in a well taught calculus class is competent in calculus. That's not an indicator of anything beyond proficiency in a very specialized area of study.
Someone who aces calc has mastered a basic tool to understand reality. It governs everything from how fast a ball drops to how fast money accumulates in your savings account. Check out just one of the neat things you can do with it. Here you can see where y(t)=Ce^kt comes from, which governs the population growth of everything from bacteria to people:

http://www.saylor.org/site/wp-conten...A221-2.1.1.pdf

If you haven't seen this before you might really enjoy it.

Quote:
And, as I'm sure you know, leanness in and of itself is not a gauge of anything other than winning the genetic lottery for body frame. I assume that's why you had to tack on that disclaimer of being lean on a healthy diet. That still doesn't indicate that the person is in actual good health, despite eating well.
The whole point of the plant diet is that almost anyone who eats healthy can easily be lean, with the exception of some women who are still healthy at higher weights (carried on the hips, not the waist). Leanness due to healthy diet (not coke or anorexia) is an excellent predictor of health. There's a strong inverse correlation between excess weight and diabetes / CVD / cancer - the biggest killers of Americans. It doesn't protect against everything (ie strokes), but it majorly improves your life expectancy.

Quote:
Maybe you don't intend to come across all 'Mean Girls' but you seem to veer into that territory when it appears that people don't meet your expectations or when someone throws a roadblock in front of you.
There's certainly no point in fighting about it. Whatever motivates you is a good motivator. If being better than others isn't fun for you, then that's fine. Nobody can argue with that. Its just how your brain is wired vs someone else.

Why don't we stop arguing and talk about something else. Did you buy anything interesting at the grocery store this week? Any persimmons or horned melons? That's bound to draw some looks and confuse the clerks a bit.
#54 Old 11-15-2014, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
The other day there was an obese man with an obese child of about 8 with him. His cart was filled with the most unhealthy food I've ever seen.
I see a lot of thin people at the check out unloading carts containing practically only junk food. Some are young guys, some are mothers/fathers with young children at their sides...

Is it really that important if the person buying the junk food is obese or not?

I always get the impression that it's ok to gorge yourself on junk food as long as you're thin and not obese when the weight is mentioned, especially when the word "obese" is used. As if healthy food can't be calorie rich and fattening? As if all that junk is unproblematic as long as the person is at his or her ideal weight?
#55 Old 11-15-2014, 04:55 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufflon View Post
I see a lot of thin people at the check out unloading carts containing practically only junk food. Some are young guys, some are mothers/fathers with young children at their sides...

Is it really that important if the person buying the junk food is obese or not?

I always get the impression that it's ok to gorge yourself on junk food as long as you're thin and not obese when the weight is mentioned, especially when the word "obese" is used. As if healthy food can't be calorie rich and fattening? As if all that junk is unproblematic as long as the person is at his or her ideal weight?
I'm a nurse, so I use 'obese' as a descriptor, not an insult. This child looked to be more than double a healthy weight for his size, and there was nothing in the cart that was not empty calories. It's not fair to him, he can't choose.
#56 Old 11-15-2014, 06:11 PM
Oryzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufflon View Post
...As if healthy food can't be calorie rich and fattening?...
If ones food is so fattening as to induce clinical obesity (an invariably unhealthy condition) that food by definition is not healthy.
I agree, overweight/obese people get a disproportionate amount of criticism. Particularly if theyre younger. By luck of genetics lots of people can eat whatever they want below the age of 30 and not get fat. I was one, as were several of my friends. A few can even do that all their life, my father stayed slim with cigarettes, coffee, drug addiction, and overworking while all his brothers grew beer bellies. Thin isnt proof of good diet or lifestyle.
But obesity is proof of bad diet/lifestyle.
And forcing conditions conductive to juvenile obesity on children is a willful action that will predictably cause physical harm to the child, the best definition of child physical abuse I know of.
slywlf likes this.

Last edited by Auxin; 11-15-2014 at 06:15 PM.
#57 Old 11-15-2014, 08:08 PM
No flesh since 99'

This thread has gotten a tad off topic

But I will add it's FAR more common these days to see carts brimming with junk food without a fresh fruit or vegetable in sight than it is to see a cart full of healthy and nutritious foods, and people of ALL weights are behind said junk-food laden carts.... Before I became a "healthy" vegetarian around 8 years ago, I used to eat total crap. Meat free crap, but nonetheless, food of low to no nutritional value. I've always been thin too. My poor diet didn't lead to obesity related disease, but I ended up very sick, very thin and literally on deaths door before I woke up and improved my diet. I look at junk food the same way I look at drugs- people ingest it because it makes them feel good, despite it wrecking havoc in their body, and no amount of guilting them is going to convince them to stop until they reach a point they either die or decide for themselves it's time to better themselves. Food is even trickier than drugs or alcohol, since we have to eat to live, you do not need drugs or alcohol to live, so theres no quitting food cold turkey.

There is also this perception that healthy food tastes gross and is difficult to make, which only compounds the problem. And call me a 'conspiracy nut' but I am convinced they add things to junk food to get you addicted. I remember after a few years of only eating mostly home cooked, from scratch (and mostly organic) foods, I baked a cake using regular cake mix from the store for a work party, and instinctively licked the beater before putting it in the sink. I was shocked it was SO nasty because I was not used to such sugared-up, aditive-laced foods anymore. I ended up discreetly tossing my piece at work because I didn't want to eat it (though my coworkers loved it). I do find it hard not to judge people who eat unhealthy, especially when they are obese and spreading the misery to their innocent children, but you also have to take a step back and realize it's an addiction and the emotion you should really be looking for is sympathy.
mecanna likes this.
#58 Old 11-16-2014, 02:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
If ones food is so fattening as to induce clinical obesity (an invariably unhealthy condition) that food by definition is not healthy.
Doesn't it depend on the amount of the food one is eating?

Nuts are quite calorie rich (fattening?) - so they are an unhealthy food? I doubt it.
#59 Old 11-16-2014, 02:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
I'm a nurse, so I use 'obese' as a descriptor, not an insult.
As a nurse you should know what effect this word can have on patients, being meant as a description only or not.
ShadowTears likes this.
#60 Old 11-16-2014, 02:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
And call me a 'conspiracy nut' but I am convinced they add things to junk food to get you addicted.
I'm convinced these foods are designed in a way that makes them addictive. Of course there is not any drug in them but the combination of ingredients makes one wanting to come back for more.
LedBoots likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page