Nice Hippie Clothes - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-20-2004, 07:59 PM
Beginner

My wardrobe is made up of some really awesome hippie-ish skirts and stuff but I got them all in Israel/online and now want an alternative. Does anyone know of cool places in NYC/NJ where I can get some hot hippie-ish clothing? Tie-dye, crocheted stuff, long flowy skirts, hemp hats and bags....

It would be really helpful....

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-20-2004, 10:28 PM
Veggie Regular

you can go a fabric store and make some yourself

There was actually a place online I think RBM posted a while ago. It had some nice stuff. I would post it but it is saved on my other computer and the wireless connnection is down
#3 Old 05-21-2004, 06:35 AM
Veggie Regular

RMB's favorite site that she's posted on here is www.gypsyrose.com. Also, try garage sales, thift and consignment shops, and step-down-from-regular-retail stores like Gabriel Brothers. Gabes doesn't often have authentic hippie-style clothing, but if you're just looking for a white T-shirt to wear under another shirt or something like that, it can still be worthwhile.

Just do an online search for hippie style clothing. There have to be dozens, if not hundreds, of clothing sites that either sell ready-made items or can give you ideas for what to make yourself.

If you ever happen to be in the Edinburgh, Scotland, area, check out Armstrong's Clothing. There are three or four of them in that area. I wanted to buy the ENTIRE store when I was there! I stuck to just getting this one long, crazy-quilt-look skirt.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#4 Old 05-21-2004, 05:43 PM

Ebay
#5 Old 05-22-2004, 03:34 PM
Beginner

While I appreciate your comments I am NOT looking for websites...I have a pretty unique body type and need to try clothing on before I buy it....Does anyone know of stores in the NYC area to go to?
#6 Old 05-22-2004, 04:03 PM

I love hippie clothes and i get them in second hand shops and from Ebay! Ebay is really good if you type in "Hippy" or "hippie"
#7 Old 05-22-2004, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Gee...in your area. Well, as far as thrift stores go, Goodwill seems to be everywhere, and so might be the American Veterans (AmVets) thrift stores. The ones in my area are called the Village Discount Outlets. Local consignment shops vary incredibly, so I can't give you any leads there other than tell you I'm sure they're there.

Look in the phone book under clothing and see what you find. Different phone books categorize things different ways, so you may need to try several terms/words before you hit on exactly what you're looking for. If you don't want to make clothes yourself and are having a hard time with ready-made options, you might try looking up a sewer. (As in a person who sews, not the place where the filthy water goes.) NYC is a big place--they may even have a sewing school whose students might find making clothes for you to be a fun challenge. Schools will often discount the prices significantly since you are accepting the possibility of imperfections.

Or you could always stop the hippies you see out in public and beg them to tell you where they got their clothes.

Get involved with environmental causes, meet some hippies, and follow them around as they obtain clothing.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#8 Old 01-28-2016, 03:46 AM
Cool Mint is my name.

I met it a lot in Ebay. You can find it with that keyword.

My name is Cool Mint. I am a writer at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page