Would you work for an employer who denied you breaks? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-16-2014, 09:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Would you work for an employer who denied you breaks?

My boyfriend just quit a job after three days when he was told he could not take five minutes to eat a sandwich in the middle of a seven-hour shift. He then researched what he could online, and it appears not to be illegal in Ohio to deny breaks to workers over the age of 18. Still, it's hardly customary in my experience working at a dozen different employers here. A half hour lunch break in a shift over six hours long is standard.

Would you have kept working without breaks? Would it matter what your duties or wages were?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-16-2014, 10:06 PM
Oryzatarian

I would not quit a job for that alone.
However if I were right on the edge of quitting anyway I would consider it as a minor but contributory factor.
#3 Old 05-16-2014, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't go that long without eating, so no I wouldn't.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#4 Old 05-17-2014, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

That surprised me! I'm in Oh and my employers have always made a big deal about required lunch breaks. If you're asked, or wish to work through a lunch break it needs to be pre-approved. But you're right, over 18 Oh does not require a break.

It certainly does depend on a lot of other factors. I wouldn't quit before finding something else, that's for sure! Hard to imagine a company that doesn't permit a lunch break to be tolerable, not even ten minutes? My prior company (for 24 years) gave two ten minute paid breaks, and one half hour unpaid lunch. My current one gives two 15 min. and a half hour unpaid. I'm consistently reminded how lucky I am to be with this company!

So much to consider with accepting a job offer, and so much they don't need to tell you. I was slated to be with the final group being terminated when my co moved manufacturing and left on my own for what sounded like the best job ever. They blatently lied about things like paid for benefits, the that my starting saraly was the highest for that job title, and what the job entailed. I was lucky to still get all my severence but couldn't wait to leave that place.
So much is dependent on medical insurance with having a job. We so need universal health.
#5 Old 05-17-2014, 11:57 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I'm not normally of a paranoid frame of mind, but is this standard policy at that company, or could the employer be trying to get your boyfriend to quit (for some stupid reason) without having to actually fire him?

But to answer your question: I think it's unreasonable to have to work for more than 4 hours without a break. I'd have to be hard pressed to take such a job knowing that was the policy, but if I needed a job badly enough, or if I otherwise really liked or wanted that job, I'd take it and try to keep it.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Last edited by Tom; 05-17-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page