• 2 Post By jessandreia
  • 1 Post By cabbage87
  • 3 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By ellephants3
  • 2 Post By ellephants3

#1 Old 05-07-2014, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

This is really funny but it doesn't surprise me at ALL. So many bandwagon jumpers never do their research. laugh.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-07-2014, 04:58 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

Gluten doesn't make you fat...   For a while I didn't even know that people were avoiding it I just thought companies were accommodating those with actual allergies.

#3 Old 05-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Love it!  And so true! I have seen so many people claim to be gluten free eating foods with gluten in them (spelt flour is not gluten free...people!!!!!), and all the while claiming they feel so much better getting gluten out of their diet bla bla.  If a person truly has a medical allergy/intolerance to gluten, they are going to know what gluten is and every speck of food and nonfood product it is in.  I'm also tired of every condition I have being blamed on gluten.  :rolleyes:  (munches on whole wheat pasta with celery, chickpeas, and homemade almond mayo and is loving every minute of it lol).  

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#4 Old 05-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

I find it funny how they are putting gluten free labels on anything and everything now to try to boost sales.

"Buy this banana, it's gluten free!" laugh.gif

Although I guess after watching the video it kind of makes more sense...

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 05-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I find it funny how they are putting gluten free labels on anything and everything now to try to boost sales.

lol!  I see those ridiculous labels too.  If I remember I'll have to take some photos when I grocery shop tomorrow and post them.  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 05-08-2014, 08:51 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

My sugar says gluten free. It's freaking sugar I know it's gluten free because I actually know what gluten is.

#7 Old 05-08-2014, 10:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Considering how much it limits your choices at restaurants and the grocery store, and how expensive things made gluten-free are (ex: gluten-free pasta), I don't see why anyone would want to avoid it by choice.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#8 Old 05-08-2014, 11:29 PM

I wonder if it would be possible to convince these people to go on a water free diet. Water makes you fat. Absolutely no water at all. Don't worry that you are laying on the floor seemingly dieing, that's just your body adjusting, stick at it!
Werewolf Girl likes this.
#9 Old 05-09-2014, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Kay wait so what is gluten? I though gluten was like the flour or wheat stuff in white  pasta and bread and stuff .apparently I'm as dumb as all those people in the video...

#10 Old 05-09-2014, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

This is the only thing I could find at the store today that said gluten free that seems a bit obvious.  Aw well, maybe I will spot some funnies next time lol.  

#11 Old 05-09-2014, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellephants3 View Post

Kay wait so what is gluten? I though gluten was like the flour or wheat stuff in white  pasta and bread and stuff .apparently I'm as dumb as all those people in the video...

This is from Wikipedia about gluten:

Gluten (from Latin gluten, "glue") is a protein composite found in foods processed from wheat and related grain species, including barleyrye, and spelt. Gluten gives elasticity to dough, helping it rise and keep its shape and often gives the final product a chewy texture. Gluten is used in cosmetics, hair products, and other dermatological preparations.[1]

Gluten is the composite of a gliadin and a glutenin, which is conjoined with starch in the endosperm of variousgrass-related grains. The prolamin and glutelin from wheat (gliadin, which is alcohol-soluble, and glutenin, which is only soluble in dilute acids or alkalis) constitute about 80% of the protein contained in wheat fruit. Being insolublein water, they can be purified by washing away the associated starch. Worldwide, gluten is a source of protein, both in foods prepared directly from sources containing it, and as an additive to foods otherwise low in protein.

The fruit of most flowering plants have endosperms with stored protein to nourish embryonic plants duringgermination. True gluten, with gliadin and glutenin, is limited to certain members of the grass family. The stored proteins of maize and rice are sometimes called glutens, but their proteins differ from true gluten.

And this from the Mayo Clinic on what foods to avoid that may contain gluten:

Avoid unless labeled 'gluten-free'
In general, avoid the following foods unless they're labeled as gluten-free or made with corn, rice, soy or other gluten-free grain:

• Beer
  • Breads
  • Cakes and pies
  • Candies
  • Cereals
  • Cookies and crackers
  • Croutons
  • French fries
  • Gravies
  • Imitation meat or seafood
  • Matzo
  • Pastas
  • Processed luncheon meats
  • Salad dressings
  • Sauces, including soy sauce
  • Seasoned rice mixes
  • Seasoned snack foods, such as potato and tortilla chips
  • Self-basting poultry
  • Soups and soup bases
  • Vegetables in sauce

Certain grains, such as oats, can be contaminated with wheat during growing and processing stages of production. For this reason, doctors and dietitians generally recommend avoiding oats unless they are specifically labeled gluten-free.

You should also be alert for other products that you eat or that could come in contact with your mouth that may contain gluten. These include:

• Food additives, such as malt flavoring, modified food starch and others
  • Medications and vitamins that use gluten as a binding agent
  • Play dough

Watch for cross-contamination
Cross-contamination occurs when gluten-free foods come into contact with foods that contain gluten. It can happen during the manufacturing process, for example, if the same equipment is used to make a variety of products. Some food labels include a "may contain" statement if this is the case. But be aware that this type of statement is voluntary. You still need to check the actual ingredient list. If you're not sure whether a food contains gluten, don't buy it or check with the manufacturer first to ask what it contains.

Cross-contamination can also occur at home if foods are prepared on common surfaces or with utensils that weren't thoroughly cleaned after being used to prepare gluten-containing foods. Using a common toaster for gluten-free bread and regular bread is a major source of contamination, for example. Consider what steps you need to take to prevent cross-contamination at home, school or work.

Hope this helps!  

•  

#12 Old 05-09-2014, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Can't believe this, but just went to Facebook and someone posted this there:

lol.

#13 Old 05-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

:eek: Holy, that definitely helps. That list was actually very shocking. All these "gluten free" people are probably so far from being legit gluten free. I find it  rather silly how people have taken a severe allergy, and made it into some sort of fad diet. Like atkins, or south beach. And they didn't even take time too research and do it right?. Eyah:wall:

#14 Old 05-09-2014, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellephants3 View Post

:eek: Holy, that definitely helps. That list was actually very shocking. All these "gluten free" people are probably so far from being legit gluten free. I find it  rather silly how people have taken a severe allergy, and made it into some sort of fad diet. Like atkins, or south beach. And they didn't even take time too research and do it right?. Eyah:wall:

I used to know someone who had a severe allergy to gluten.  She even had to get rid of the dog food she was buying for her dog and find a gluten free type.  Her husband ate all gluten free at home because she couldn't risk coming into contact with it as she would get so sick.  Now THAT is a gluten allergy!  Years ago I was put on an anti candida diet to "starve" out the yeast in my body due to chronic yeast infections.  I am a type A personality and went all out trying to do the diet perfectly.  I was amazed at how many products have yeast in them.  I was not allowed to have any fruit (or vegetables with a higher glycemic index) or gluten items either at that time and it is when I first learned just how much stuff has gluten and yeast in it.  I literally ate nothing but fresh organic vegetables and fresh organic Meat (gags at the thought now). Was not even allowed to have whole grains. I was miserable on that ridiculous diet that really didn't help me at all because my problem had nothing to do with candida overgrowth.  I had just had both ovaries removed the year before and was severely hormone deficient.  That is why I had yeast infections.  At the time I was so miserable in surgical menopause I would have stood on my head if someone said I would feel better lol.  Funny thing is, even with such a strict diet, I still smoked back then.  Now that is really brilliant huh?  Don't feel bad.

#15 Old 05-09-2014, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post

I used to know someone who had a severe allergy to gluten.  She even had to get rid of the dog food she was buying for her dog and find a gluten free type.  Her husband ate all gluten free at home because she couldn't risk coming into contact with it as she would get so sick.  Now THAT is a gluten allergy!  Years ago I was put on an anti candida diet to "starve" out the yeast in my body due to chronic yeast infections.  I am a type A personality and went all out trying to do the diet perfectly.  I was amazed at how many products have yeast in them.  I was not allowed to have any fruit (or vegetables with a higher glycemic index) or gluten items either at that time and it is when I first learned just how much stuff has gluten and yeast in it.  I literally ate nothing but fresh organic vegetables and fresh organic Meat (gags at the thought now). Was not even allowed to have whole grains. I was miserable on that ridiculous diet that really didn't help me at all because my problem had nothing to do with candida overgrowth.  I had just had both ovaries removed the year before and was severely hormone deficient.  That is why I had yeast infections.  At the time I was so miserable in surgical menopause I would have stood on my head if someone said I would feel better lol.  Funny thing is, even with such a strict diet, I still smoked back then.  Now that is really brilliant huh?  Don't feel bad.

Naturebound, I gotta say. You are one fantastic lady!:love: Ever time I read one of your post's they are filled with so much life experience and knowledge, and  wisdom. If you don't already have a blog you would do awesome as a blogger!

That is crazy how bad your friend reacted too gluten. Even with her dogs food?!? I don't think most people realize how severe it can be. Like egg and nut allergies are.  That diet they put you on sounds absolutely horrid. I'm surprised they didn't clue into crazy hormone changes after double ovary removal. I used too believe that doctors new everything. My feelings on that have changed over time. I always do some of my own research when it comes too health problems and symptoms now. I'm so glad your finally all sorted out though and feeling better. !!

Werewolf Girl and Naturebound like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page