Anyone else into guns? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-05-2013, 07:22 PM

So, I am just curious. I am an avid gun owner and a vegetarian. I have never met anyone else who is both! 

I decided I wanted to own guns after joining the military. I personally feel so much more secure and able to protect myself. I got my license to carry at 21 and have enjoyed competing in marksmanship competitions. I also live next to a mountain so I often carry when I walk my dog so I can protect us both from animals and people if I ever had to.

I know this is quite different from the average post on this board but I was just curious. Also, my fiancee and I made this video about the Assault Weapons Ban this month. It's very informative. The Assault weapons ban expired federally in 2004 but continues in Massachusetts. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWBd2lv1mZg

Thanks! :nigel:

Just because we can, doesn't mean we should.

Just because we always have, doesn't mean we always have to.

Once we KNOW better, we should DO better.

~Colleen Patrick-Goudreau

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I am! I have three antique pistols and an antique Remington. As far as new I have a G26 gen 4, G34, S&W .22, .45, a .38 special/.357 and a new .22LR 10 round detachable mag rifle.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 12-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Oryzatarian

hey, I have a 10-.22 too, first gun I ever shot.

In all I have too many to list, my favorite is a 5 shot .22 cal bolt action romanian training rifle- simple iron sites with 3 distance options. Its so accurate I use it for gun golf, a game I invented- toss a golf ball 20 feet out and you have 5 shots to get the ball far as you can. I always win :D

AlexandraBee likes this.
#4 Old 12-08-2013, 03:30 PM

Wow thanks River and Auxin!! I totally thought people were going to react negatively to this. I'm glad to see that I am not alone.

I carry a Smith and Wesson M&P Shield in 9mm  but also have some other fun things too! I have an old school Reminton 550 .22 that was passed down to me. I re-blued the metal on it and refinished the wood too. It was from my dad and so I wanted to keep it in good condition. I also am a member of the NES forum (north east shooters) which is really cool (not sure where you guys are from). 

Thanks for sharing :rockon:

#5 Old 12-08-2013, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, a gun thread on a vegetarian/vegan support board :P

I'm more of a sword girl myself....

But I was wondering, what sort of gun would you recommend for a beginner? My partner and I often talk about learning how to shoot, but I'm not sure what kind would be good to start with. Any suggestions?

#6 Old 12-09-2013, 01:05 AM
Oryzatarian

A .22 is good for practice and learning. The ammo is actually affordable, and the kick from the gun wont wear you out. Some of my other guns now cost more than $1 for each shot :dizzy:

If your learning for the sake of defense, a hand gun is easy to move around fast and easy to carry and fits in the night stand.

If your learning for outdoor fun a rifle shoots with accuracy farther because of the longer barrel and sights.

#7 Old 12-09-2013, 02:30 AM
Veggie Regular

The Beretta 90 Two is the one that someone into cyberpunk is gonna like, not to talk about the technical parts.

But i am more into kung fu, at least its useful everyday when you train.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#8 Old 12-09-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post

Wow, a gun thread on a vegetarian/vegan support board :P

I'm more of a sword girl myself....

But I was wondering, what sort of gun would you recommend for a beginner? My partner and I often talk about learning how to shoot, but I'm not sure what kind would be good to start with. Any suggestions?

I would say that depends on where you are from. I would insist that you take a course on gun safety and whatever licensure courses are needed in your state.  Shooting is really something you need to learn from a professional. I am from MA and here we have a certification course that covers all levels of licenses you could want. I would not even buy a gun until you take a course and understand gun safety and the fundamentals of usage, storage, and federal and state laws. In some states, like mine, you cannot buy a gun of any kind or ammo without a license. Your police office would be able to help you with all of that by the way. 

I am so happy that people are interested in this thread! Yay!

#9 Old 12-09-2013, 10:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the suggestions!

I wouldn't have a gun for self defense. For a start, I don't feel the need. But also, I think it's illegal to have a gun in public, in Australia. We have fairly strong gun laws here. So, I think I would have to start out slow. We don't have any room for a gun cabinet in our flat anyway. We barely have room for the swords and daggers! Ha ha!

You're so right to mention gun safety, Alexandrea! I wouldn't dream of picking up a gun, without a professional around to show me how to do it. I grew up around guns. But I never learned how to use one. If I'd asked, I'm sure they would have shown me. But my dad's philosophy was that anyone too excited about holding a gun, probably shouldn't be allowed to hold one in the first place (my dad's a Veteran, so he has mixed feelings about guns). So, I'm a bit reticent to ask him about guns. He might get too anxious about the whole thing.

Again, thanks for all the comments guys. A lot to think about!

#10 Old 01-01-2014, 12:52 AM

Yes I have a Desert Eagle 1911G.  It sleeps next to my bed.

#11 Old 02-03-2014, 08:45 PM

Yup. I own and EDC a Glock 19 Gen 4.

Last range trip did about 100ish rounds in this target:

#12 Old 02-04-2014, 05:11 AM

Well, let me be the first to say that I hate guns. As part of my military training, I've fired the SAR21 rifle, and I am not proud of it. When we do shooting practice we use human-sized targets, and all I can think is that this is what we are reducing human lives - people with their own families, friends, experiences and hopes and dreams - to: mere targets. I don't like the idea of possessing a weapon that can take a life so quickly that the victim doesn't even have time to realise that he or she is going to die. I feel that the easier it is to take a life, the less we value it.

Of course, gunmanship for sport and self-defense is a different thing altogether. But those wouldn't exist if not for the wider context. Private gun ownership means that irresponsible people are inevitably going to get their hands on guns, no matter how stringent the laws. With regards to this, I much prefer where I live, where private gun ownership is banned outright. Singapore is much safer than the US, with a much lower crime rate and death rate due to crime, even if it means that I can't be the owner of a gun. To me, that is a small price to pay.

Check out my blog,
, a reflection of anime, veganism and animal rights!
Latest post: Serial Experiments Lain and the Upper Layer of Reality
#13 Old 02-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

#14 Old 02-04-2014, 10:25 PM
Beginner

I have 3 handguns and 2 shotguns. Pow pow

Dog, guts and guns..
#15 Old 02-04-2014, 11:53 PM

Ah, guns are too loud.  Shooting might be fun, but I don't like loud noises, particularly near my head.  I'd never get out to the range (that loud of sound hurts even with good ear protection- I value my hearing!)

Unfortunately, sound is inextricably linked to muzzle velocity in guns because the bullet is propelled by a blast of expanding gasses, thus as a substantial cross sectional area.  Anything that's not loud hardly counts as a gun. :-/

Stun Guns on the other hand... all kinds of fun :D

And when you get yourself by accident or accidentally on purpose, you usually get to live to tell the tale ^_^

Are there any quieter guns you like?

Ever done archery, or used crossbows?

#16 Old 02-05-2014, 05:31 AM
Beginner

Ive had some fun using and making rubber band guns. not terribly loud either.

Dog, guts and guns..
#17 Old 02-05-2014, 06:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to have a pea-shooter in the early 1950s.

#18 Old 02-05-2014, 08:07 AM
Beginner

I've been meaning to go to a shooting range just to try it out, but haven't got around to it yet. 

I have a feeling I'll be in the pandiculationco camp, but I won't know unless I try. I have a few buddies who are very much into shooting. 

#19 Old 02-05-2014, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandiculationco View Post

Ever done archery, or used crossbows?

Yes to archery, lot of fun. Much more fun than guns imho.

#20 Old 02-05-2014, 09:56 AM
Beginner

Nice. I've been wanting to teach my son that.

Dog, guts and guns..
#21 Old 02-05-2014, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

Yes to archery, lot of fun. Much more fun than guns imho.

When I was a kid, my parents used to take me every year to the Goose Fair (carnival) in Nottingham, home of Robin Hood. I remember one year when I went on a stall and was shooting arrows at a target, that the stall-holder gave me a small prize and told me to go away. Rather than hitting the target, my arrows had been hitting the prizes.

Over 60 years ago and I still remember my shame...:o 

vegan cyberpunk likes this.
#22 Old 02-05-2014, 08:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post

When I was a kid, my parents used to take me every year to the Goose Fair (carnival) in Nottingham, home of Robin Hood. I remember one year when I went on a stall and was shooting arrows at a target, that the stall-holder gave me a small prize and told me to go away. Rather than hitting the target, my arrows had been hitting the prizes.

Over 60 years ago and I still remember my shame...:o 

Yeah this kind of small things tend to stay with us :-).

At a few local fairs where i lived, i used to shoot those rifles on targets, i wasn't missing a single shot on those various moving targets and managed to get banned from those stands for being too good :-( I had the most fun with the air moving balloons in boxes because i could manage to get a few in one shot by waiting till they have a good position in a corner. But one of the worse and most hilarious fairs i had there was a shooting stand with those vertical cables that you have to cut with the plumb bullet. Most people miss those tiny cables. I was hitting every time. A few times with the same bullet. See the cables were actually reinforced, super tense, and angled, so that my bullets were just bouncing off the cables instead of sectionning them. And a few times they bounced off back on the counter. :dizzy: Freaking cheaters.

The bows... i could get bulls eye at 300 meters ( inside, closed space ) years ago, but at a fair i cannot hit a target at a few meters. Horrible bows with horribly balanced arrows and barely any power, i suppose on purpose.

But from time to time at a fair i still surprise someone by doing shot after shot with the rifles and giving to whoever is with me some teddy bear or whatever :gun:

But yes, i do have some moments of shame. Like that time i shot the guy on my far left behind the counter with the plumb rifle. I was just holding the rifle and somehow shot it right when i loaded it while it was facing him. Nice memories. 

leedsveg likes this.

#23 Old 02-05-2014, 11:18 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Vegan cyberpunk, my dad was a good shot, too, with 'expert marksman' earned in the Marines in his teens. When I was a kid at the fair, he would tell the guy he needed 3 shots to make up for the crooked barrel. By the third he could adjust the shot enough to win the prize. Some of the rifles he would laugh at, and tell the guy "come here, look down this barrel, see how it is curved."
vegan cyberpunk likes this.
#24 Old 02-10-2014, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

My husband is a firearms enthusiast, a liberal, and a vegetarian.

slops, gloops, and gruels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page