Demand for Moving Boxes--Why? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-23-2013, 11:28 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

I subscribe to some neighborhood forums where people post about items they want or items they are giving away. Many of these posts are about moving boxes--people want them, or people are giving them away (presumably right after they have moved and unpacked). From the follow up posts of people who give them away, they are often snapped up pronto.

Now, the problem I have with understanding this is that there are plenty of liquor stores in town and they all have stacks of empty boxes outside their front doors for people who need boxes to take away.

So why is there this great demand for moving boxes? Is there some sort of stigma to using liquor or wine boxes? Are regular moving boxes so much sturdier or of better quality? Or do people need boxes that are differently sized than your typical liquor box?

What do you think the reason is/reasons are for this demand for moving boxes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Poo Pie Head

We just moved last month. Liquor boxes suck for moving, the wine ones are too tall and not wide enough and most of the boxes that the 6 packs of beer come in have a missing center on the bottom that makes them unstable. (where I work we get both of these types of boxes from deliveries.) the best types of boxes to get from a store are boxes that bananas or other fruit come in or boxes that non food dry items come in (sleeves of paper cups, coffee packet boxes, etc). The moving boxes that you buy from an actual box store are even better. It is really hard to find enough good boxes in short order for free. It took me a week of picking out the best boxes from where I work to get enough for our recent move, and we have LOADS of boxes come in every day!
#3 Old 11-26-2013, 07:26 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowKat View Post

We just moved last month. Liquor boxes suck for moving, the wine ones are too tall and not wide enough and most of the boxes that the 6 packs of beer come in have a missing center on the bottom that makes them unstable. (where I work we get both of these types of boxes from deliveries.) the best types of boxes to get from a store are boxes that bananas or other fruit come in or boxes that non food dry items come in (sleeves of paper cups, coffee packet boxes, etc). The moving boxes that you buy from an actual box store are even better. It is really hard to find enough good boxes in short order for free. It took me a week of picking out the best boxes from where I work to get enough for our recent move, and we have LOADS of boxes come in every day!

Thank you for your reply.

The problem though is that (free) moving boxes are in short supply, so one has to make do with what is available. For example, the woman who posted about having moving boxes posted that they were taken within half-an-hour, and I'd have to have driven across town just to find her house.

Yes, there are problems with liquor boxes. But there are also ways of coping with those problems. For example, using extra tape, particularly on the bottoms of the boxes. Making the tape cross in a + pattern across the bottom, and having the tape extend well up the sides of the box. Most liquor boxes come with cardboard inserts and what not to cover any holes or spaces in the bottom of the box.

I've helped over a dozen people move, and we used liquor boxes in almost all the moves without any real problems.

I did hear a story, though, about a candidate for political office taking clothing to a clothing drive in a liquor box. His opponent took a photo, and used it to make the candidate look like a boozer.

I'd be reluctant to use liquor boxes to transport items to or from a church, particularly one that disapproved of the consumption of alcohol. And I've been involved with several non-profit organizations that had their offices located in church buildings or on church-owned property.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page