ATTN: Interest in Secret Santa '13 and other exchanges? Please Vote. - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Are you interested in reviving the Secret Santa tradition here at VB?
Yes. I am very interested and will participate. 18 72.00%
Yes, I am interested in other exchanges but not this one. 1 4.00%
I am interested, but I wont participate. 3 12.00%
No, I don't like exchanges. 2 8.00%
Other (please explain in a reply) 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-25-2013, 01:45 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

We are thinking of reviving the Secret Santa and other exchanges here at VB. If you are a new member, and are thinking to yourself, "what are these exchanges you speak of?" Please read on!

The poll above will run from today to midnight, Oct. 31st, if we have at least 12-13 people who will participate in Secret Santa, sign ups will begin Nov. 3rd.

What is Secret Santa?
Secret Santa is a yearly gift exchange during the Judeo-Christian holiday season. You need not be any religion to participate, and your package need not be holiday oriented. It works by signing up during the sign up period (Nov. 3rd thru Nov. 20th), on the 21st-22nd you will be PMed with your recipient. Then a Q/A thread will be opened, where under an anonymous user provided by the mod staff you can ask your recipient questions about things they like, etc. Then you will purchase gifts within $25 not including shipping and ship them to your recipient, and someone will do the same for you. When you get your package there will be a picture thread for you to post pictures of what you got (or simply a description)

Here are sample threads of all three steps:
https://www.veggieboards.com/t/105695/secret-santa-2009
https://www.veggieboards.com/t/106407/secret-santa-2009-q-a-thread
https://www.veggieboards.com/t/107971/secret-santa-2009-photo-thread

What other exchanges are you thinking about?
We are also thinking about post card exchanges, spring gift exchanges, and anything you, dear members, would like to suggest.

A note about security: Giving out your address is risky. The people with access to your address will be me, Aristede, Capstan, and your Secret Santa (or other sender in other exchanges). The task of matching you up with a sender and recipient will be organized so whoever sends you your package will be very, very far away from you (there will also be some international matches).

This is truly one of my favorite traditions of VB, and I really want to see this restarted so I hope there are several of you who loved it as much as I did. If you have any questions please ask, especially if it affects your vote.

Edit for a personal note:
Should someone forget to send their package, I will send something to them. Not a full package, I don't have enough money for that, but I won't let anyone feel left out due to not receiving their package (if they sent their).
4everaspirit likes this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-25-2013, 03:28 PM

So excited at the possibility of this!!!
#3 Old 09-25-2013, 03:28 PM
Banned

I love Secret Santa but I'm so disorganised I never get the gifts out on time.  My personal best is sending a gift 15 months late :)

4everaspirit likes this.
#4 Old 09-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet-Vegan View Post

I love Secret Santa but I'm so disorganised I never get the gifts out on time.  My personal best is sending a gift 15 months late smiley.gif

That actually reminds me of something I am going to add into the original post,

If for whatever reason someone does not come through, I will make sure everyone gets at least something. I say that as a personal note, not as a mod.

Also, ITS THE FIRST DAY AND I'M A THIRD OF THE WAY THERE!!! WOO!
4everaspirit likes this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
#5 Old 09-25-2013, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I've done a couple of exchanges in the past, and they are a lot of fun. Sadly, due to finances, I'm unable to do this this year. Hopefully soon, though.

4everaspirit likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#6 Old 09-27-2013, 04:15 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Mod post: moved from Community assistance to Veggie Patch for increased traffic, so we can gain a better community response.
4everaspirit likes this.

Quote:
#7 Old 09-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Impeach the gangster

I'm in!!

4everaspirit likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#8 Old 09-27-2013, 09:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds like it'll be fun. Of course I'm in it.

Aristede:book:

4everaspirit likes this.

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#9 Old 09-28-2013, 01:58 AM
Veggie Regular

missed these a lot.
Photojess, River and 4everaspirit like this.
#10 Old 09-28-2013, 09:59 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

This looks really cool. I said other because I'm like 50/50. I would really like to participate, I already have some ideas of some great presents, but I'm not 100% sure I would. Put me down as a yes though if it is going to make or break something =3

River likes this.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#11 Old 09-28-2013, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

i missed them too. They have aways been fun!

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#12 Old 09-28-2013, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm in :)

4everaspirit likes this.

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
#13 Old 09-28-2013, 01:40 PM

I'm so in. I've always wanted to do one of these but never had the opportunity to.
4everaspirit likes this.
#14 Old 09-28-2013, 03:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesleepingyeti View Post

I'm so in. I've always wanted to do one of these but never had the opportunity to.

hey there.....we're only a few hours away from each other! I live in Herkimer Co, centrally. good to see another NYer on here!

thesleepingyeti likes this.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#15 Old 09-28-2013, 07:38 PM

I love Secret Santa games and would be excited to participate!

#16 Old 09-30-2013, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Awesome! Count me in! smiley.gif
#17 Old 10-01-2013, 01:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I love them, personally. I would participate for sure. It would be great if everyone participating posted some of their intetests, and if a price point was set so no one felt cheap. Any exchanges no matter the occasion sounds lovely to me.
#18 Old 10-03-2013, 05:02 PM

Pick me! Pick me! Pick me!

Isabelle, aka La Grenouille
My blog (in French): L’herbivore — http://lherbivore.ca
#19 Old 10-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectxDefect View Post

I love them, personally. I would participate for sure. It would be great if everyone participating posted some of their intetests, and if a price point was set so no one felt cheap. Any exchanges no matter the occasion sounds lovely to me.

That's actually the Q&A thread. Participants will sign into the secret santa account and ask their recipient questions about what they like, dislike, etc.

Also, it looks like this is going to be a go. Come Nov. 3rd I will post the sign up thread!

Quote:
#20 Old 10-04-2013, 02:16 PM

Yay River - so happy to hear it's a go!
River likes this.
#21 Old 10-06-2013, 01:12 PM

So excited to hear it's a go!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page