Hayden Panttiere, Explains why she gives up on being vegetarian. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-18-2013, 10:49 PM

Didn't realise that vegetarians could only eat salad!?
#3 Old 09-19-2013, 02:01 AM
Veggie Regular

yeah did not know that either, Ive read a lot of celebs that have given up, and really I cant figure out why, I dont have half the money they have and I make it work. She has enough money to hire a chief to cooks her meals and does not have to worry about any thing.
#4 Old 09-19-2013, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess she thought it was trendy. It gave her the limelight for about 15 seconds because the "veg bandwagon" is so cool and now that the limelight has stopped shining, oh well to being veg. 

The comments on the article are pretty bad too. :sick:

Aristede:book: 

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#5 Old 09-19-2013, 03:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Poor celeb needs a food coach or imaginative mind, apparently.

Aristede likes this.
#6 Old 09-20-2013, 12:28 AM
Veggie Regular

"I’m a fan of sushi for dinner, as long as the fish aren’t endangered."

1. Bycatch.  She doesn't know about it.

2. People aren't endangered.  Donner party your table is ready.

Aristede likes this.

i hear in my mind all of these voices
i hear in my mind all of these words
i hear in my mind all of this music
#7 Old 09-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dividedsky View Post

2. People aren't endangered.  Donner party your table is ready.

:lol: 

Then again... :spew:

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#8 Old 09-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular

My mom has questioned me on numerous occasions about what we eat and the sticking points for her seem to be that carbs make you fat, that you won't get enough protein and that it must be hard to eat in restaurants. I have tried explaining the first two (i.e. that there is a difference between a carb candy and a carb sweet potato, and that even vegetables have protein) to no avail. As for the restaurants, we have never had trouble finding stuff to eat. We once went to the most meat Chinese restaurant ever for a birthday party and we asked for the black bean noodles with no beef and a side of steamed rice and had a feast! There is always something to eat.
Aristede likes this.
#9 Old 09-23-2013, 10:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post

My mom has questioned me on numerous occasions about what we eat and the sticking points for her seem to be that carbs make you fat, that you won't get enough protein and that it must be hard to eat in restaurants. I have tried explaining the first two (i.e. that there is a difference between a carb candy and a carb sweet potato, and that even vegetables have protein) to no avail. As for the restaurants, we have never had trouble finding stuff to eat. We once went to the most meat Chinese restaurant ever for a birthday party and we asked for the black bean noodles with no beef and a side of steamed rice and had a feast! There is always something to eat.

I agree. In most cases there is something to eat at restaurants, mostly certainly for vegetarians, but it does get trickier for vegans. However, most people don't like asking questions or making special requests of servers and the cooks/chefs. When I go to Chinese, Thai, or Vietnamese restaurants, I simply ask for no fish sauce or oyster sauce and I ask them to hold the eggs (and MSG too for that matter, outside of what naturally occurs in soy sauce). My standing orders at my Chinese restaurant are vegetable fried rice, hold the eggs, easy on the oil and soy sauce or Sichuan tofu, easy on the soy sauce and no oyster sauce. My standard Thai order is tofu pad thai with no egg or fish sauce or I get the lunch special which has been modified for me. It usually includes a soup made with chicken stock, a chicken egg roll, and curry cooked with fish sauce, but instead I have tofu Panang curry, vegetable soup, and a veggie eggroll. I just let my restaurant know what I wanted and they accommodated me. Now when I go, I don't even have to spell out what I want anymore.  

And carbs are definitely healthy for you, but as you mention, one has to chose the right carbs! Corn, brown rice, sweet potato, regular potatoes, quinoa, and grains and legumes are the cornerstone of civilizations! It's not that carbs alone make people fat, it's that they eat refined carbs (that have little nutrition value) on top of their already poor, meat- and sugar-laden diet. If people cut out a majority of the fat and cholesterol in their diets and switched over to more whole foods, they'd see a dramatic change! I think that during the 90s and early 2000s, the Atkins craze indoctrinated people into believing that all carbs were bad. Atkins has lost favor, but now this silly paleo fad is all the rage. :sick:

Hollywood and its influence over people's diet choices is crazy, but that's the influence that media has over the sheeple these days.

#10 Old 09-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I know, I have been having smoothies ever since I got my Vitamix and in every smoothie, there is spinach, fruits and veggies. I can practically feel the vitamins as I drink it. I also think my body type prefers carbs. Before I was vegetarian, everyone at work was doing Atkins and I tried it for one day and felt starving. I need more fiber and bulk than that. I need big bowls of soup and stir fry and noodles. Sure, I can shift the ratio to a bit more veggies and a bit less noodles to fill the bowl, and pick whole grain stuff. But I think I need the carbohydrates. And if I think about what had made me gain weight, it was candy and refined foods, not having a whole banana instead of half a banana in the smoothie...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page