What would you do in a zombie apocalypse? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-17-2013, 03:40 PM
High King of Eire

Okay, so, let's just say we're in the midst of a zombie apocalypse, would you stick to your veg*n life style? or would you keep with it as best you could? 

My dad asked me this a few days ago and honestly I don't know, I just want to know what you guys would do in the unlikely even of a zombie apocalypse :)

Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Oddly enough I have thought about this quite a bit. Okay, if you know me well maybe it isn't THAT odd... tongue3.gif

Basically I would do what I have to do to survive but I would stick to being vegan as much as humanely possible.

I'd try to find an abandoned house on the outskirts of a town and then fortify it as much as I could, then I would raid grocery stores/abandoned houses for anything I could food or otherwise.

In the early stages of the apocalypse it would still be possible to find some fresh produce so I would try to eat as much of it as I could before it went rotten as well as stockpiling flour, rice, beans, canned vegetables, water, spices, seeds, etc. etc.

Ideally I'd be able to build a big strong fence around my property or fortify an existing fence, and that would give me space to try to plant seeds and grow fresh food in the spring/summer to supplement all the canned and dry stuff. So if I was smart and lucky enough I wouldn't have to eat animal products.

I'd also be stockpiling as many weapons as I could of course, my biggest concern in a zombie apocalypse is actually not the zombies it's the gangs of humans that you just KNOW would be going around causing trouble and stealing and killing people. So it's possible I'd have to kill people to defend myself long before I'd have to resort to killing an animal for food.

But yeah, in that kind of nightmare survival scenario you wouldn't be worrying about factory farming anymore and all you'd really be concerned with is living to see the next day. If I were in that position and I was starving and someone put meat in front of me I'm sure I would eat it, and I think pretty much everyone would do the same.

Omni's always try to use examples like that to say "Gotcha!" but I really don't see why, to me that just highlights the fact that when it's NOT a zombie apocalypse and you have thousands of food options at the grocery store you're essentially killing animals for a taste preference and not any real need.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 07-17-2013, 05:15 PM
High King of Eire

Haha, great plan of action, my granny grows her own veg and stuff, so I guess I could go hide out there c: and it's in the middle of no where as well :)

#4 Old 07-17-2013, 05:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Ha! Ha! I am not alone thinking this smiley.gif I live not far from a Walmart I would most definitely head there .... Everything such as food, weapons , flashlights , water .... I would load up and then head out somewhere secluded and quiet .... And if the unfortunate would happen and I became a zombie Lol I would be the only one moaning grains! grains! smiley.gif
'IckenNoodleSoup likes this.
#5 Old 07-17-2013, 11:29 PM

I wouldn't be bothered, I would be too busy celebrating the fact the majority of our virus species would be annihilated and that we would have a chance to rebuild society from top to bottom learning from our past mistakes.
swaffle likes this.
#6 Old 07-18-2013, 01:19 AM
Veggie Regular

In the event of a major catastrophe which wiped out the majority of people, agriculture would grind to a halt and it would take at least a year or more to reforge a new system of co-operatives able to grow plant foods. I think most of those seriously intent on surviving would head straight for the hills and be forced to hunt and fish and forage where possible. Once the provisions were looted from the shops, cities would become dead zones with marauding gangs of scavengers. Would I be willing to hunt in order to survive? I might not enjoy it but (being a speciesist maybe means I don't have a great conflict over this) I absolutely would do it. I wouldn't hunt humans though, like in The Walking Dead: anyone remember the 'meat locker' scene? Eargh!

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#7 Old 07-18-2013, 09:24 AM
High King of Eire

Thanks for the replies, if this does happen we should all meet up and fight the zombie horde together ;D We need to think of an awesome name for our group of survivors! grin.gif
#8 Old 07-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Veggie Regular

We are The Veg*nators! We reform zombies to eat grains instead of brains how's that? smiley.gif We will work peacefully at first if they cooperate .... however if a zombie misbehaves we must slay them and pop off their zombie freakish heads "splat" hehehe! smiley.gif
#9 Old 07-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I would definitely do what I had to to survive. That being said, if I had the luxury of time on my excursions to abandonned stores, I would obviously pick the vegan option. But trying to be quick and discreet in a store I know has zombies lurking?  I would definitely just grab whatever the heck I could, maybe paying attention to obvious dairy content. As someone who can't digest dairy, I would want to keep my food down for energy and strength. But that's it.  Keeping in mind that in the case of a zombie apocolypse, the world would no longer be continuing to exploit animals, using animal products would not be perpetuating any suffering. So it would come down to a matter of personal preference only. And while it would creep me out to eat flesh, I would if I had to.

#10 Old 07-18-2013, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I have no idea what I would do. At first I would stay vegan. It's habit afterall. And I'd have no need to break from it.

But as the world changed I might start eating other things. Not sure, though since I don't think I could stomach most nonvegan foods, particularly not the ones available during a zombie apocalypse. I mean, sure I could eat some nonvegan processed foods maybe but I simply do not think I'm capable of killing an animal and cooking it and eating it. Maybe I'm wrong (and the survivor in me hopes I could do that) but I kind of think I just wouldn't survive.

I don't know if I could kill zombies either. Although, I do like playing Plants vs Zombies :)

lavender phase likes this.
#11 Old 07-20-2013, 10:52 PM
Poo Pie Head

Everyone likes to have a good plan for such an event, but I wonder how many of us would just invert and become crazy... Yeah I can plan all I want, but if there were undead people walking around eating the living, I doubt most of us would remain sane. Think about the nightmares and constant stress! My zombie apocalypse planning would be centered more around dealing with those issues than it would be with food, just for the sole reason that you cannot even have food or security if you are friggen crazy! Or am I the only one who would go bat shizzle nuts if the world turned upside down?
#12 Old 07-21-2013, 04:33 AM
Vegan Very Metal

I'd sh*t meself.
swaffle and 60225 like this.
#13 Old 07-21-2013, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

#14 Old 07-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender phase View Post

http://mobile.informationweek.com/80256/show/fb1a3daa364ed176b13235713f464e65/?

I wonder how many people really believed this?

Loads I reckon.  Bet the Survivalists couldn't believe their luck ~ "godammit I told them this nuclear bunker and 50,000 cans of beans would come in handy one day"

#15 Old 07-21-2013, 03:39 PM

Or are we already part of the zombie apocalypse? :O 

Werewolf Girl and Jennifer C like this.
#16 Old 07-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

ha ! ha ! he is funny smiley.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imriela View Post

Or are we already part of the zombie apocalypse? :O 

#17 Old 07-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

The Vegan Zombie is awesome! I always think of this too:

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#18 Old 07-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh I love his shirt ! smiley.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

The Vegan Zombie is awesome! I always think of this too:

#19 Old 07-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Oddly enough I have thought about this quite a bit. Okay, if you know me well maybe it isn't THAT odd... tongue3.gif

Basically I would do what I have to do to survive but I would stick to being vegan as much as humanely possible.

I'd try to find an abandoned house on the outskirts of a town and then fortify it as much as I could, then I would raid grocery stores/abandoned houses for anything I could food or otherwise.

In the early stages of the apocalypse it would still be possible to find some fresh produce so I would try to eat as much of it as I could before it went rotten as well as stockpiling flour, rice, beans, canned vegetables, water, spices, seeds, etc. etc.

Ideally I'd be able to build a big strong fence around my property or fortify an existing fence, and that would give me space to try to plant seeds and grow fresh food in the spring/summer to supplement all the canned and dry stuff. So if I was smart and lucky enough I wouldn't have to eat animal products.

I'd also be stockpiling as many weapons as I could of course, my biggest concern in a zombie apocalypse is actually not the zombies it's the gangs of humans that you just KNOW would be going around causing trouble and stealing and killing people. So it's possible I'd have to kill people to defend myself long before I'd have to resort to killing an animal for food.

But yeah, in that kind of nightmare survival scenario you wouldn't be worrying about factory farming anymore and all you'd really be concerned with is living to see the next day. If I were in that position and I was starving and someone put meat in front of me I'm sure I would eat it, and I think pretty much everyone would do the same.

Omni's always try to use examples like that to say "Gotcha!" but I really don't see why, to me that just highlights the fact that when it's NOT a zombie apocalypse and you have thousands of food options at the grocery store you're essentially killing animals for a taste preference and not any real need.

Wow, you know I'm starting to think you might be my Canadian doppelgänger. Every time you say something, I'm like, hey, that's what I would say. All of the above - double true. 

The other thing I'd do though, is go pick up my son's best friend. He's 13 and a serious and by serious I mean SERIOUS survivor type. Here's a picture of this kid's bedroom wall (no I'm not kidding - this is actually his wall; my son got him the poster for Christmas, but the weapons are all him).

He comes over all the time and brings stuff like knives he's made! MADE from actual wood and steel with blacksmith tools. He makes those camouflage outfits that look like grass and attends camps based on wilderness survival, wild plants, archery, land restoration and so much more. This summer he's taking blacksmith classes. He even carves wood. My son and him are always making stuff like hookshots and homemade slingshots. The kid is ready for zombies. 

We do get into quit a few arguments about hunting and fishing - as you may have guessed he's into that, but he eats vegan at our house without a single complaint and him, Cedar (my son) and me have good debates about it - so it's all good. We still adore him.

In any case, picking him up once zombies hit would likely increase my survival odds by a lot. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

I don't know if I could kill zombies either. Although, I do like playing Plants vs Zombies :)

Plants vs. Zombies rules. We got into that a lot at my house a few years back. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#20 Old 07-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Since I love zombie movies, of course I've thought about this. I think I'd easily be able to remain veg*n because I'd almost certainly get eaten quickly. I'm tall, clumsy, have bad knees and live in a townhouse that would not be easily defended (too many windows). But if I was lucky enough to be saved by a ragtag group of heroes, I'd try to stay veg as long as possible, though would probably less picky about reading long ingredient lists!
#21 Old 07-21-2013, 08:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Did you happen to see warm bodies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsnorkie View Post

Since I love zombie movies, of course I've thought about this. I think I'd easily be able to remain veg*n because I'd almost certainly get eaten quickly. I'm tall, clumsy, have bad knees and live in a townhouse that would not be easily defended (too many windows). But if I was lucky enough to be saved by a ragtag group of heroes, I'd try to stay veg as long as possible, though would probably less picky about reading long ingredient lists!
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1588173/
#22 Old 07-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I did see Warm Bodies. I thought it was a really fun twist on zombie movies. smiley.gif
#23 Old 07-22-2013, 12:10 AM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender phase View Post

Did you happen to see warm bodies?
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1588173/

I thought warm bodies looked terrible, but then my son and I saw it and it was MUCH better than I thought it would be. Plus, the boy in it (main zombie) is in About a Boy which is one of my top five favorite movies ever, so there's that. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page