A Very Sad Thing Happened - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-15-2013, 01:42 AM
Veggie Regular

My partner and I love to work out at night--very late at night; he goes jogging while I stay home and do kickboxing. He always takes a phone with him just in case. Well, usually by the time I'm done he is back but this time he wasn't, which worried me so I called him. For the last 45 minutes he has been sitting with a dog who was hit by a car. It's a chihuahua and someone ran over his HEAD and just kept driving apparently. My partner was jogging and saw a lump in the road, so he started to jog around it but stopped when he heard nails scrabbling on the pavement. The poor thing is twitching and fighting to live but it is so clear that he won't make it that animal control is on their way to put him down. I offered to go and pick my partner up but he says it's so bad he doesn't want me to see it. I am so upset and so angry that someone would do that and then leave. I am having a hard time typing this. Please, I just need some kind words. I can't stand this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-15-2013, 02:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh god, that is horrible! I can't believe some people could just leave a helpless animal like that! If I was in your place, I'd be so frustrated! I'd have no idea how to react or what to do. It was really nice of your partner to stay until the animal control arrived... It just feels like such a cold world sometimes...

#3 Old 07-15-2013, 02:55 AM
Banned

Oh how absolutely awful for both of you :(

that poor wee dog, how can people be so cruel as to just drive off and leave it there

Sending a cyber hug to you and your partner x

#4 Old 07-15-2013, 04:17 AM

Thanks to your partner and to you for caring.

#5 Old 07-15-2013, 11:28 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

That's awful :(

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#6 Old 07-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh that's so sad. I'm sorry you and your boyfriend have to experience this.

Twice I've been driving, saw a cat get hit by a car, I stopped and got cat and rushed to help (drove to vet/phone booth). Both times the cats died on the way. That last breath is dreadful. I take comfort in hoping the cats knew I was trying to help.
#7 Old 07-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

That's so sad :-(

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#8 Old 07-15-2013, 12:20 PM

Thats awful :(

#9 Old 07-15-2013, 01:45 PM
Beginner

That's terrible but I'm glad that your partner stopped to help. At least the poor creature didn't have to suffer any longer.
#10 Old 07-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

sad.gif' poor lil doggy .... your kind partner gave comfort to the suffering animal and the lil doggy did not have to die alone on that dark road at night .... ** hugs**
#11 Old 07-15-2013, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Poor, poor dog... at least he or she had your partner with him and he wasn't left there to suffer longer. Sorry it happened, and sorry your partner saw it and sorry you had to hear about it. It's an awful situation alround...

Was it dark? The driver may not have known they hit him, but if they did know...

"Treat others as you wish to be treated."

- The Golden Rule

"No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible."

- Voltair

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

- Mahatma Ghandi

"Even dust piled up will grow into a mountain."

- Japanese Proverb

#12 Old 07-15-2013, 04:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks everyone for caring so much. Josh, my partner (and husband) was not the only one there; a woman and her son were also with the little dog, along with the police officer who showed up when the cops were called. Josh was the only one who petted and told him that he was not alone and that he would die with someone who loved him. He kept telling him over and over again that he loved him and that he was going to stay with him until the end. The other people were just too upset by how horrific the injuries were to even touch the dog; Josh keeps telling me that there is no way that he will ever tell me exactly what it looked like. At times the dog was thrashing so much and with such force that he had to stop petting him because it was just not possible to do so--but Josh refused to look away during these times like the other people because he did not want the poor thing to be alone in his thrashing or to somehow feel that he was too scary to look at. My husband is the most caring person towards animals that I have ever met; when he arrived on our doorstep he was bawling. I am so fortunate to share my life with someone who is so very caring and kind and compassionate.

We got some wine and beer last night--something we rarely do--and watched a movie to take our minds off it. As was mentioned above, it feels like such a cold world sometimes.

#13 Old 07-15-2013, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewe Nanny View Post

Poor, poor dog... at least he or she had your partner with him and he wasn't left there to suffer longer. Sorry it happened, and sorry your partner saw it and sorry you had to hear about it. It's an awful situation alround...

Was it dark? The driver may not have known they hit him, but if they did know...

Yeah, it was around 2 in the morning. I suppose it's possible that the person did not see the dog, but it's a small residential street, so I dunno.

#14 Old 07-15-2013, 05:26 PM

I know it's hard to feel positively about this, but your boyfriend should be proud and glad that he was there. The dog was able to leave this world loved, and I'm sure it made a world of a difference to him. I can't imagine how miserable it must be to die alone, unnoticed, without a trace of memory in anyone's hearts.

Capstan, Ewe Nanny and Kokoraven17 like this.

Check out my blog,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a reflection of anime, veganism and animal rights!
Latest post: Serial Experiments Lain and the Upper Layer of Reality
#15 Old 07-15-2013, 09:42 PM
Veggie Regular

It's always horrible to come across injured animals, more so when it is left up to you to end the poor things life.sad.gif

#16 Old 07-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingspider22 View Post

Thanks everyone for caring so much. Josh, my partner (and husband) was not the only one there; a woman and her son were also with the little dog, along with the police officer who showed up when the cops were called. Josh was the only one who petted and told him that he was not alone and that he would die with someone who loved him. He kept telling him over and over again that he loved him and that he was going to stay with him until the end. The other people were just too upset by how horrific the injuries were to even touch the dog; Josh keeps telling me that there is no way that he will ever tell me exactly what it looked like. At times the dog was thrashing so much and with such force that he had to stop petting him because it was just not possible to do so--but Josh refused to look away during these times like the other people because he did not want the poor thing to be alone in his thrashing or to somehow feel that he was too scary to look at. My husband is the most caring person towards animals that I have ever met; when he arrived on our doorstep he was bawling. I am so fortunate to share my life with someone who is so very caring and kind and compassionate.

We got some wine and beer last night--something we rarely do--and watched a movie to take our minds off it. As was mentioned above, it feels like such a cold world sometimes.

I'm at a loss for words when it comes to these kinds of things. The actions and empathy shown by Josh are very admirable and it's clear that you are both loving and caring individuals. 

"So shines a good deed in a weary world." - William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Aristede book2.gif

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#17 Old 07-18-2013, 01:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingspider22 View Post

This was heartbreaking to read. Tears actually welled up in my eyes... All respect to Josh for being there, to show support and to give that poor dog his love during his last painful minutes on this earth...

Now excuse me while I go cry and rage over the heartlessness of some drivers and humans...
#18 Old 07-18-2013, 12:42 PM

Oh my Goodness, Reading this is very upsetting, and I'm actually in tears. It's so amazing that your husband is this kind to be with the dog in his last moments. It's takes lots of strength to do that, and a ton of compassion to care to begin with. I hope you and your husband are doing better now; seeing any living being suffer is upsetting, and can take a lot our of a person. 

#19 Old 07-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi sigen92 and Kokoraven17, Yeah, we are okay now. Well, sort of. Josh is still dealing with it--it has really affected him and touches much of what he does and thinks. He has not been able to get himself to go jogging since, but tonight he will try. I told him that the reason he found that little guy is because he jogs, and that dog would not want him to stop now. Thank you for being with us in thought and spirit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page