The POSITIVE thread - Page 9 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#241 Old 11-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Saturday night we're having a massive party to celebrate, my dad's coming down from the Ham and the rest of the family from their perspective states. His ex wife and son are coming up as well as his family.

While I am ridiculously excited and just cannot contain myself, ima lil freaked out to meet his son and ex wife as well as just... colliding ou r worlds.

But being scared is fun. AAAAHHHHH

Oh, it'll be alright! Just be yourself and take things easy! You have plenty of news to update everyone on, so just make it a swell event. :yes:

Aristede:book: 

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 Old 11-21-2013, 11:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Saturday night we're having a massive party to celebrate, my dad's coming down from the Ham and the rest of the family from their perspective states. His ex wife and son are coming up as well as his family.

While I am ridiculously excited and just cannot contain myself, ima lil freaked out to meet his son and ex wife as well as just... colliding ou r worlds.

But being scared is fun. AAAAHHHHH

Not if it's like this. I got 6 miles in in the cool, crisp autumn air today, and fixed dinner for my family, making spaghetti with spinach basil sauce, marinara, and nooch on top (they thought it was parmesan cheese---Hehehehehe), and a tossed green salad with orange champagne vinaigrette and grape seed oil. All vegan until mom added chicken...:rolleyes:

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#243 Old 11-29-2013, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I had a nice time at dinner with my extended family yesterday. The most pleasant surprise was finding out that my youngest cousin (she's 13) has decided to adopt a vegan diet. She states that she's not totally vegan yet, but I discussed several pertinent issues to be sure she understood what she was doing. I was pleased to find out the amount of research she had done and that she had even come across VeggieBoards in her research. I told her to definitely check out/join VeggieBoards for more support.

Her mom is very supportive and has been eating and cooking vegan along with my cousin. Her father (my uncle) isn't buying into it at all and teases her about it playfully, but he does buy the vegan items she requests. 

So for next Thanksgiving, we're planning to make more vegan sides and desserts. We both ate the vegetarian sides and desserts and I'm considering even bringing a Field Roast or something like that next year. 

One of the best parts about this is that it also brought my cousin and I closer together because we really connected over something we have in common. She has no friends or family that are vegan or vegetarian in her area and since she lives quite a distance from me, we don't see each other often. So I'm planning to stay in contact with her through email so that I can offer support and ideas.

Aristede:book: 

River likes this.

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#244 Old 11-29-2013, 07:33 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

My dad and I just bought a new truck, it took eight hours sitting at the dealer, but we did it! His old one was overheating every three miles and spent five years in Alaska. It was about time for a new one. Now he can come visit North and I in Portland ^.^

Next weekend North and I have to combine our households and get me out of my lease. That sounds more stressful tham buying a truck, but moving in and settling a home together is so exciting ^.^

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#245 Old 12-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I have tons of essay work to do, but I'm looking on the bright side..... less than two weeks and I will be home for the xmas holidays! Best time of the year.

#246 Old 12-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Beginner

I won a contest! It includes a week of marathon training in the Algarve and new running kit! I haven't had a great year, what with being made redundant and not being able to find another job, so this has seriously made my year.

Purp likes this.
#247 Old 12-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faya View Post

I won a contest! It includes a week of marathon training in the Algarve and new running kit! I haven't had a great year, what with being made redundant and not being able to find another job, so this has seriously made my year.

Wow, that's great Faya!   Congratulations!  I take it you are quite a runner?

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#248 Old 12-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faya View Post

Hooray!!

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#249 Old 12-12-2013, 06:16 AM
Beginner

Naturebound, I can be when I haven't injured myself ^_^ I did my knee in a few months ago and then I slammed a door on my foot. My foot has hopefully healed enough for me to actually start this.

This will be for my second marathon, I did my first one in 2012. I get expert training advice as part of the win, so I'm hoping this will mean I can beat my first marathon time, which was 6.05:25 (yes, that's 6 hours. I would have been quicker, but I had a 20min wait for the toilets at one point).

Training for marathons is the only way I stay healthy. I need something to work towards, otherwise I get lazy. Let me tell you, nothing motivates me more then the idea of screwing up and failing in front of thousands of people and failing the charity that I'm running for.

#250 Old 12-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Good for you for doing what you do!  Just be careful.  I got into running in 2012, went from barely able to run to running four to five miles daily, but I pushed myself so hard I kept getting injured.  I had Achilles tendinitis, and then a stress fracture in my pelvic area.  I have severe osteoporosis for a number of reasons, number one losing my ovaries at a young age, and it wasn't a bright idea to start running.  As much as I loved it (I was into trail running) I had to give it up as I got tired of all the injuries and xrays and physical therapy lol.  I had the stamina, but my body just couldn't take the beating.  I love to move and exercise though so that has never been a problem for me.  I have had to find other ways to get in some cardio and get those endorphins going, and cycling is a huge one for me.  I love my mountain bike.  I also love yoga and ballet (was a dance major in college many years ago).  I miss running but not the injuries, and I always cheer on those who can keep doing it!  Glad to hear you are getting some good training!  And what great motivation, to have a charity to run for!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#251 Old 01-04-2014, 08:39 AM

I lost 15 lbs in the month of December just from going vegan/90% plant based.  Adding exercise this month...

#252 Old 01-04-2014, 09:03 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhistLady View Post

I lost 15 lbs in the month of December just from going vegan/90% plant based.  Adding exercise this month...

That's great! What are you planning for exercise? I need to do cardio as my cholesterol labs were abysmal last month. (Vegan since my late 40's with bad family history of high lipids.) I'm normal weight and do yoga daily and go for lots of walks (not fast, I kind of stroll.) So I've started bike riding but am kind of scared of being hit by a car around here.
#253 Old 01-04-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

That's great! What are you planning for exercise?....

I currently walk two miles a day (back and forth to the bus).  I am definitely going to add yoga and some type of strength training (my vegan /plant-based chiropractor is developing a routine for me).  I just started doing a short (15 min) dance exercise video last night.  Figured I would start the cardio off slowly and build.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page