The POSITIVE thread - Page 7 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#181 Old 10-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

This thread is great :)

I've been trying to cleanse my life of negativity lately (it doesn't help my depression one bit) and things like this are so wonderful to see. Too often we focus on the negative and forget the positive.

Positives in my life:

I got married earlier this month.

We're going on a honeymoon to NYC and Salem, MA in October.

Going to Disneyland in October too.

Halloween is coming up!

Husband gets out of the Marine Corps soon.

I started making jewelry to sell on etsy.

My recovery from depression (which got horrible back in December. I was admitted to county psych) is going so well. I've completely committed to it.

And of course:

I'm back on veggieboards with my old friends :)

Congrats on your marriage, hooray for recovery, yay for all of the above, and welcome back! I came back to VB last week after a very long absence, as well - like a year and a half. And I remember you! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

I went to the library today, returning some books, and checking out others, and getting 3 that I had on hold. Veganomicon, Vegan Eats World, and Vegan With A Vengeance, plus Vegan Family Favorites, The Artful Vegan, and Native Foods Restaurant Cooking. Also the DVD of Forks Over Knives (I want to share that with my parents some evening). Life certainly is good right now.

Very cool! Speaking of books, I was at Barnes and Noble tonight and checked out the veg*n cookbook section. They no longer occupy a mere one or two shelves - we're talkin' an entire panel in the section, top to bottom. It was beautiful.

Purp likes this.

"An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." --Martin Buber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 Old 10-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

I went to the library today, returning some books, and checking out others, and getting 3 that I had on hold. Veganomicon, Vegan Eats World, and Vegan With A Vengeance, plus Vegan Family Favorites, The Artful Vegan, and Native Foods Restaurant Cooking. Also the DVD of Forks Over Knives (I want to share that with my parents some evening). Life certainly is good right now.

That's great, Purp. I haven't bought any cookbooks in a while, but I was considering picking up a few from the library to see if I liked them. I own Veganomicon and it's really good. (Since I own that, I haven't bothered to pick up Vegan with a Vengeance). Let me know what you think of The Artful Vegan and Vegan Eats World, please. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SadieP View Post

Very cool! Speaking of books, I was at Barnes and Noble tonight and checked out the veg*n cookbook section. They no longer occupy a mere one or two shelves - we're talkin' an entire panel in the section, top to bottom. It was beautiful.

It's funny you mention this! I was checking out the cookbook section at Barnes and Noble two weeks ago and noticed the same thing. It is great to see plant-based/veg*n books receiving more attention and shelf space.

Aristede:book:

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#183 Old 10-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

The grocery store I go to has this community resource room, and the front of it is filled wiyh vegan and raw cook books to buy. When I saw that I had thought I died and went to vegan heaven.

Then I realized I probably don't need to buy anymore books.
Colorsntrees likes this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#184 Old 10-04-2013, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

The grocery store I go to has this community resource room, and the front of it is filled wiyh vegan and raw cook books to buy. When I saw that I had thought I died and went to vegan heaven.

:lol:

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#185 Old 10-04-2013, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

My positive of the day is the birds are singing in the trees with beautiful colourful leaves .... I sit outside and watch them and hear their beautiful songs smiley.gif I saw a few chipmunks scurry by too they are soooo cute!
#186 Old 10-08-2013, 06:13 AM

Hey, Aristede! Can't remember whether I shared this already (if I did, big apology--my memory's crap, haha), but here's that coconut curry sweet pototo recipe I'd mentioned a while ago. Hope it keeps you warm as Chicago gets chillier :)

#187 Old 10-08-2013, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatWellPrtyHard View Post

Hey, Aristede! Can't remember whether I shared this already (if I did, big apology--my memory's crap, haha), but here's that coconut curry sweet pototo recipe I'd mentioned a while ago. Hope it keeps you warm as Chicago gets chillier :)

This is perfect for the cool weather we're having in Chicago! I love autumn weather and it's nice to eat these kinds of warming foods. Curry is one of my favorites!

EatWellPrtyHard likes this.

#188 Old 10-08-2013, 01:17 PM

This is one of the truly gorgeous autumn days I look forward to all year long. And I just got some great ideas from the pumpkin thread!
Aristede likes this.
#189 Old 10-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeSprings View Post

This is one of the truly gorgeous autumn days I look forward to all year long. And I just got some great ideas from the pumpkin thread!

I'm glad you like the pumpkin thread! There are so many dishes that I haven't made with pumpkin, but so very little time! 

As for today, it's a beautiful day. Our morning and mid-way were a bit warm, but the temperature is slowly dropping to the temperatures that are associated with autumn (crisp and cool!). Also, I've come to the understanding that my body just doesn't do animal products well anymore. Cheese, eggs, and ice cream have been a part of my life since I was a kid, but I feel better when I'm not eating them. I've been reducing my consumption of them gradually over the years, but maybe it's time to kick them....

#190 Old 10-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Zelda Freak

I had thousands and thousands of emails in my account and managed to get everything labeled/or deleted and spiffed up this morning. Seriously my inbox is soooooooo pretty right now - just 4 little emails sitting there with every other email I want to keep nicely colored labeled. 

This is a big deal as I last cleaned it out a year ago or so. This may be the most positive deal of my whole week not just day. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#191 Old 10-10-2013, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

River, just remember, there's no such thing as too many books. It's like too much fresh air, it doesn't happen. :book::o

Yesterday I went into town and first went to the Y and worked out, then went to the library to get the one, yes, count it, one book I had on hold, and walked out of the library with 12 books. Does anyone know anything about leaving well enough alone? That doesn't seem to be one of my talents. :D

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#192 Old 10-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Elephants are the first wild animal to have been found to understand what humans mean when they point at something. (article on Treehugger)

A school in Georgia (the state) cancelled classes because they wanted kids to play outside since the weather was so great. (article on Treehugger)
#193 Old 10-13-2013, 01:51 PM
Sheep in Wolf's Clothing

Hi, all,

I just wanna say how much I truly, truly adore this forum. I am so grateful for it.

I haven't been posting much because I started up school again (I promise I will eventually respond to all those threads I left hanging) but I read so much, I've become a bit of a lurker while I wait in between classes and read forum posts on my iPhone, or I make small posts when I can. I am lucky to do that at the least for now! I can't wait to have time to post more, when I have more time, perhaps over Winter Break. I just love you guys just from reading! This is the coolest place on the internet!! :up:

Love,

BrainFloss.

#194 Old 10-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Floss View Post

Hi, all,

I just wanna say how much I truly, truly adore this forum. I am so grateful for it.

I haven't been posting much because I started up school again (I promise I will eventually respond to all those threads I left hanging) but I read so much, I've become a bit of a lurker while I wait in between classes and read forum posts on my iPhone, or I make small posts when I can. I am lucky to do that at the least for now! I can't wait to have time to post more, when I have more time, perhaps over Winter Break. I just love you guys just from reading! This is the coolest place on the internet!! thumbsup.gif

Love,

BrainFloss.

You rock, I can't wait until you have more time to post! rockon.gif

Also, my positive thing is it's Thanksgiving weekend in Canada and I'm staying home instead of travelling to visit my family because it was too crazy busy to travel by Greyhound and I honestly didn't want to go anyway. I will be visiting with them next week but for now I get to go to a compassionate vegan potluck tomorrow! There are going to be over 200 people there and so much food, it's going to be awesome. I much prefer that to awkward family time, haha. I'm going to be baking a bunch of cookies to bring, I'm thinking maybe these ones: http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2012/09/pumpkin-cookies-pecans-chocolate-oats.html grin.gif
Aristede likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#195 Old 10-13-2013, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Floss View Post

Hi, all,

I haven't been posting much because I started up school again (I promise I will eventually respond to all those threads I left hanging) but I read so much, I've become a bit of a lurker while I wait in between classes and read forum posts on my iPhone, or I make small posts when I can. I am lucky to do that at the least for now! I can't wait to have time to post more, when I have more time, perhaps over Winter Break. I just love you guys just from reading! This is the coolest place on the internet!! :up:

Love,

BrainFloss.

I am glad that you find VeggieBoards helpful and welcoming! It is a pretty nifty place, isn't it? We look forward to your future posts as you have the time. :yes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Also, my positive thing is it's Thanksgiving weekend in Canada and I'm staying home instead of travelling to visit my family because it was too crazy busy to travel by Greyhound and I honestly didn't want to go anyway. I will be visiting with them next week but for now I get to go to a compassionate vegan potluck tomorrow! There are going to be over 200 people there and so much food, it's going to be awesome. I much prefer that to awkward family time, haha. I'm going to be baking a bunch of cookies to bring, I'm thinking maybe these ones: http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2012/09/pumpkin-cookies-pecans-chocolate-oats.html grin.gif

That's awesome, WG! Vegan Chicago is having a vegan potluck next month that I'm planning to attend. At Vegan Chicago's summer picnic in the park (with the orchestra) I brought cookies too; they were vegan peanut butter-chocolate-oatmeal cookies. They went over pretty well, especially since I'm still refining my vegan baking skills. The recipe you've chosen looks good, so I'm going to bookmark it. :) (I love pecans.)

It's great that you can have this kind of event to go to. I take it that your family is not veg*n (but perhaps veg*n-friendly)? I agree about awkward family time. I'm cool hanging with my immediate family. It's just when I get with the extended family that it gets kinda...meh. There's only so much you can talk about how's work/life, politics, and look at the old photos...

As for my positive thing.... I'm getting the opportunity to network with some important professionals next week, so who knows what it'll lead to. ;)

#196 Old 10-15-2013, 06:48 PM

I was dehydrating some catnip to store & the room started smelling like it. My 16 year old kitty seemed to have gotten a contact buzz & was rolling all about the floor with super squinty kitty eyes. She was super loving afterwards, followed me wherever I went to lick my calves for hours. :D Silly kitty Flea

Aristede likes this.
#197 Old 10-15-2013, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

My kitty Cat loves olives I once dropped an olive and she went and pounced it all crazy with it! smiley.gif
Colorsntrees likes this.
#198 Old 10-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorsntrees View Post

I was dehydrating some catnip to store & the room started smelling like it. My 16 year old kitty seemed to have gotten a contact buzz & was rolling all about the floor with super squinty kitty eyes. She was super loving afterwards, followed me wherever I went to lick my calves for hours. :D Silly kitty Flea

Haha! My cats haven't had catnip in a while, but I remember how crazy some of them get. It's hilarious. Interestingly, some of my cats (presently and in the past) don't really react to catnip. The lack of interest shown by those cats is certainly less entertaining...

Colorsntrees likes this.

#199 Old 10-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Why were you dehydrating catnip? I'm curious, that's all.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#200 Old 10-16-2013, 12:02 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I was told I have a very good chance of getting the summer internship with the Animal Legal Defense Fund!
Aristede and lavender phase like this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#201 Old 10-16-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:

I was told I have a very good chance of getting the summer internship with the Animal Legal Defense Fund!

Well done you - I'll cross my fingers for you.

My positive is my plans tonight got canceled so I get to spend the evening in bed with my laptop and books and eat cookies. I am so exhausted I'm glad something made me slow down!

Aristede and River like this.
#202 Old 10-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I had a good day today. I did some professional networking with an official and got the chance to pave the way for some future opportunities. This evening, I'm going to the grand opening of a new Haberdash store in Chicago. It sells gear for men like shoes, pants, shirts, and (you guessed it), hats! (I love hats.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kath View Post

My positive is my plans tonight got canceled so I get to spend the evening in bed with my laptop and books and eat cookies. I am so exhausted I'm glad something made me slow down!

. Sometimes slowing down is a great thing to do! Give your body and mind a moment to relax. :)

Quote:

That's good news so far!  It'll certainly be a great experience for you as your continue your law studies. I'm hoping you are chosen! :yes:

Kath likes this.

#203 Old 10-16-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:

Why were you dehydrating catnip? I'm curious, that's all.

Well, it was a multipurpose task. I'm newish to living in the country so I actually tried growing things for the first time. (Did fairly well too :pibo:) Since I grew the catnip at least I knew it was organic & safe & free. The plants were rather large so I decided it was a good time (dew had dried but it was still sunny & early so I think the oils were at a heightened level?) to increase my winter supply. Most importantly, I try to get some time in the fresh air & sun :sunny: free of any so called protectants for real Vitamin D, & it feels good so I cut some & cleaned it & dried it. My future holds learning about seed saving soon enough! :boobies:

As I said, I'm fairly new to not living in the city so feel free to tell me if I did something wrong or incorrectly, etc. Suggestions ALWAYS welcome!

#204 Old 10-16-2013, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well, it was a multipurpose task. I'm newish to living in the country so I actually tried growing things for the first time. (Did fairly well too :pibo:) Since I grew the catnip at least I knew it was organic & safe & free. The plants were rather large so I decided it was a good time (dew had dried but it was still sunny & early so I think the oils were at a heightened level?) to increase my winter supply. Most importantly, I try to get some time in the fresh air & sun :sunny: free of any so called protectants for real Vitamin D, & it feels good so I cut some & cleaned it & dried it. My future holds learning about seed saving soon enough! :boobies:

As I said, I'm fairly new to not living in the city so feel free to tell me if I did something wrong or incorrectly, etc. Suggestions ALWAYS welcome!

Good luck to country living, and I'm glad you got some sun. I'm not in living in the country myself, but always watch where you walk, especially if cows, horses, cats, dogs or any other animal have been nearby (check your shoes frequently):up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post

Sometimes that's the best thing for you, is "Me" time.

Quote:

HOORAY!!! :bobo::pibo::vebo::nana:

Kath likes this.

#205 Old 10-17-2013, 02:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Wow, what a great opportunity!  I hope you get the position!

My positives...

yesterday I was talking to a couple of coworkers and the subject of my veganism came up.  We are having a party on Friday and one of them asked me what I eat and what she could bring for me (the first time in two years and eight months anyone asked what I would like although they all know I am vegan lol).  I gave some suggestions and also emailed them both a link to PETAs accidently vegan list because they both thought that it would be too overwhelming and restrictive to eat vegan and they know me as the "health nut".  They literally had no idea what they would eat.  A month ago I put up "go vegetarian for a month and sign up for a chance to win $1000" flyers on my cubicle wall.  I didn't hear from anyone, but I was surprised that one of the coworkers brought up the subject of that flyer and said she really thought hard about it and is now working on cutting way down on meat and eventually off it!  She thinks she can go vegetarian but going vegan is too overwhelming for her yet.  But it's still good news!  I also leafleted a college for the first time yesterday and it went very well.  And the sun shined for the first time since last Friday!

Aristede and Colorsntrees like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#206 Old 10-17-2013, 06:36 PM

Positive things:

1) I have to write a research paper on a health related topic for one of my final Kinesiology classes. I decided to write about vegetarianism and how it can prevent or solve many lifestyle diseases (obesity, diabetes, ect..). I have now read about 12 very long peer reviewed studies and articles on Pub med and have begun my own paper. I feel much more confident in my ability to speak about vegetarianism and to advocate for myself and the animals. Before I would always avoid the subject and feel cornered if it was brought up. Now I feel empowered and confident. 

2) I found the veggie boards forum! It has makes a huge difference in my life to have a place I can come online to get information and ask questions. I enjoy reading stories from like minded people. 

Thank You :nigel:

Brain Floss and Colorsntrees like this.

Just because we can, doesn't mean we should.

Just because we always have, doesn't mean we always have to.

Once we KNOW better, we should DO better.

~Colleen Patrick-Goudreau

#207 Old 10-17-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:

Good luck to country living, and I'm glad you got some sun. I'm not in living in the country myself, but always watch where you walk, especially if cows, horses, cats, dogs or any other animal have been nearby (check your shoes frequently):up:

Yeah, my 2 re-homed labs get me every time! If not them, then the deers love the crab apple trees so WATCH OUT! 

Cows are neighbors, horses take their humans on rides now & then, my cats inside, Llamas up the street & a peacock. Not sure if a pet peacock is quite legal. :confused:

Gotta use a walking stick to test the ground for gopher holes too! A broken ankle would royally bite! :help: 

River and Purp like this.
#208 Old 10-17-2013, 06:58 PM

WONDERFUL day for me today! Positive 1. My Flea cat had a very good vet appointment. I'll get the results of her T4 tomorrow but she lost some weight so her med might be increased. Dr said she's in great shape for a 16 year old, nice coat, bright eyes, good affect. Yeah kitty! 

2. My vegan cookbook finally arrived!!! I read about it on here, & IT'S HERE! I bought 'The Gentle Chef Cookbook' by Skye Michael Conroy & am so excited to make something!

3. I found a recipe on here for ultra fast & easy jelly/jam using Chia seeds & fruit. WaLa! Jam/jelly be made! So maybe I'm a tad hyperactive or have little to no patience but I tried it & made some mixed berry jam. My attempt at doing hot water bath canning made enough strawberry jam for all of 2012 so I can do that type too but this chia jam was so EASY! 

~~~ Happy Donna :D

#209 Old 10-18-2013, 01:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

WONDERFUL day for me today! Positive 1. My Flea cat had a very good vet appointment. I'll get the results of her T4 tomorrow but she lost some weight so her med might be increased. Dr said she's in great shape for a 16 year old, nice coat, bright eyes, good affect. Yeah kitty!

2. My vegan cookbook finally arrived!!! I read about it on here, & IT'S HERE! I bought 'The Gentle Chef Cookbook' by Skye Michael Conroy & am so excited to make something!

3. I found a recipe on here for ultra fast & easy jelly/jam using Chia seeds & fruit. WaLa! Jam/jelly be made! So maybe I'm a tad hyperactive or have little to no patience but I tried it & made some mixed berry jam. My attempt at doing hot water bath canning made enough strawberry jam for all of 2012 so I can do that type too but this chia jam was so EASY!

~~~ Happy Donna :D

That's awesome that your cat has made it to 16!  My sister is very good with animals and her cats always live very long lives too.

I have to go look up that jam recipe now!  Looks really interesting!  I have used chia seeds to make puddings but never thought of jelly/jams.

Colorsntrees likes this.

#210 Old 10-18-2013, 01:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by calleyarc View Post

Positive things:

1) I have to write a research paper on a health related topic for one of my final Kinesiology classes. I decided to write about vegetarianism and how it can prevent or solve many lifestyle diseases (obesity, diabetes, ect..). I have now read about 12 very long peer reviewed studies and articles on Pub med and have begun my own paper. I feel much more confident in my ability to speak about vegetarianism and to advocate for myself and the animals. Before I would always avoid the subject and feel cornered if it was brought up. Now I feel empowered and confident.

2) I found the veggie boards forum! It has makes a huge difference in my life to have a place I can come online to get information and ask questions. I enjoy reading stories from like minded people.

Thank You :nigel:

Good luck with your research paper!  I would love to hear about the outcome and if you could share some of it here that would be great too!  What a great opportunity!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page