The POSITIVE thread - Page 6 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#151 Old 09-17-2013, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Autumn is awesome! 

Aristede:book:

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 Old 09-19-2013, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

All the leaves are turning hot pink on my trees :-D

Hot pink?? Photos, please!

#153 Old 09-22-2013, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Today was the last day of the Puyallup Fair, and I went with my parents. We parked nearby and took a shuttle that the Kiwians have, and got three free entries into the fair (normally $30 for the 3 off us(!)) and saw MY PHOTO DISPLAYED!!!!  YAY!!!!!   Hooray for Kiwians!! Hooray for the anonymous donor of the entry tickets!! Hooray for the judge(s) who voted for my photo, and hooray for my photo being displayed for the world (at least the parts of the world who would, could and did go to the Puyallup Fair) to see it. :nana::vebo::bobo::pibo: 

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#154 Old 09-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

A church I sometimes help out at just had their fall festival yesterday, and I did all the cooking. Today I was chatting with the minister and he wants all future festival and holiday foods to be ovo-vegetarian!!!!! (They have a few chickens that lay)
Aristede and Purp like this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#155 Old 09-23-2013, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

A church I sometimes help out at just had their fall festival yesterday, and I did all the cooking. Today I was chatting with the minister and he wants all future festival and holiday foods to be ovo-vegetarian!!!!! (They have a few chickens that lay)

How progressive! My church is comprised of your typical African-American congregation and they certainly love their fried chicken and fish at gatherings. However, the wife of one of our elders is semi-vegetarian, so she always makes sure that there are good salads, a large crudité platter, and large fruit bowls at these gatherings (all of which are incidentally vegan). There are also several vegetarian side dishes, so I appreciate the fact that the church gatherings offer foods I want to eat. 

River and Purp like this.

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#156 Old 09-23-2013, 08:45 PM
Impeach the gangster

It used to be, thousands of Canada geese would visit my town's mill pond twice each year, on their way north and south. In the Spring, there would be babies galore, learning to swim and to fly in our city. A few years ago, the town dredged the pond, to remove old logs from its bottom, and when they did, it chased all the geese away. For several years, we had no geese at all. I was by there the other day and saw a couple of hundred of them laying over, on their way south. I'm very happy to see they are returning! Beautiful birds!

Aristede likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#157 Old 09-23-2013, 08:52 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

It used to be, thousands of Canada geese would visit my town's mill pond twice each year, on their way north and south. In the Spring, there would be babies galore, learning to swim and to fly in our city. A few years ago, the town dredged the pond, to remove old logs from its bottom, and when they did, it chased all the geese away. For several years, we had no geese at all. I was by there the other day and saw a couple of hundred of them laying over, on their way south. I'm very happy to see they are returning! Beautiful birds!

Oh wow! That must be quite a sight. I'm glad they came back

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
#158 Old 09-23-2013, 09:05 PM
Impeach the gangster

Yes, the geese were the one big attraction this little town had. I'm hoping more and more of them will come back. Yay geese!

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
#159 Old 09-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Geese are quite imposing. I saw a gaggle of geese recently while passing through Chicago's Central Park and they are big! I minded them and kept my distance, but they are indeed impressive birds. We have so many geese in Chicago that dwell by Lake Michigan and the myriad of lagoons and small ponds we have.

#160 Old 09-23-2013, 09:34 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristede View Post

Geese are quite imposing. I saw a gaggle of geese recently while passing through Chicago's Central Park and they are big! I minded them and kept my distance, but they are indeed impressive birds. We have so many geese in Chicago that dwell by Lake Michigan and the myriad of lagoons and small ponds we have.

Ooohkay funny story time:

When I was little my dad and I would feed geese and ducks at Floyd Lamb state park in Vegas. My dad is a flip-flop kinda guy, and I was a snarky child. I threw bits of bread too close to my dad's foot, and a goose grabbed on to his big toe abd started shaking his head, like he didn't know why his bit of bread wasn't coming off. My dad shook his giant goose off his foot, but the goose wouldn't let go and started chasing my dad. My dad didn't want to hurt the goose, so he ran into the truck. The goose sat at the truck door for ten minutes until I could stop laughing and we pulled away.

So watch out for geese, they're formidable
Aristede likes this.

Quote:
#161 Old 09-23-2013, 09:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

When I was little my dad and I would feed geese and ducks at Floyd Lamb state park in Vegas. My dad is a flip-flop kinda guy, and I was a snarky child. I threw bits of bread too close to my dad's foot, and a goose grabbed on to his big toe abd started shaking his head, like he didn't know why his bit of bread wasn't coming off. My dad shook his giant goose off his foot, but the goose wouldn't let go and started chasing my dad. My dad didn't want to hurt the goose, so he ran into the truck. The goose sat at the truck door for ten minutes until I could stop laughing and we pulled away.

:lol:

#162 Old 09-23-2013, 09:53 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:

They're so protective of their little ones too. If you come too close, Mama will lead her young ones away, while Papa will gather himself up, spread his wings wide, like a war banner and hiss a terrible warning!

#163 Old 09-26-2013, 01:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I just found out that I won a prize in a raffle! I attended Chicago Veganmania last weekend and visited most of the vendors. Well, one of them was a cosmetics and beauty company named Arbonne, which sells vegan, cruelty-free products. Well, the prize was for five free facials. Since I have no need for such a prize, I messaged my best friend's wife and told her about the deal (we're friends too). She was quite pleased and told me that she's going to contact the Arbonne rep tomorrow (since I was told the prize was transferable). Additionally, I'm personally going to be getting some discount opportunities for its line of men's skin care products! Cool beans! :cool:

sequoia likes this.

#164 Old 09-26-2013, 01:38 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:

I just found out that I won a prize in a raffle! I attended Chicago Veganmania last weekend and visited most of the vendors. Well, one of them was a cosmetics and beauty company named Arbonne, which sells vegan, cruelty-free products. Well, the prize was for five free facials. Since I have no need for such a prize, I messaged my best friend's wife and told her about the deal (we're friends too). She was quite pleased and told me that she's going to contact the Arbonne rep tomorrow (since I was told the prize was transferable). Additionally, I'm personally going to be getting some discount opportunities for its line of men's skin care products! Cool beans! cool3.gif

Yay! Winning raffles is exciting ^.^

Quote:
#165 Old 09-27-2013, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Quote:

How progressive! My church is comprised of your typical African-American congregation and they certainly love their fried chicken and fish at gatherings. However, the wife of one of our elders is semi-vegetarian, so she always makes sure that there are good salads, a large crudité platter, and large fruit bowls at these gatherings (all of which are incidentally vegan). There are also several vegetarian side dishes, so I appreciate the fact that the church gatherings offer foods I want to eat. 

Y'all attend some badass churches!

#166 Old 09-27-2013, 01:20 AM

Quote:

I just found out that I won a prize in a raffle! I attended Chicago Veganmania last weekend and visited most of the vendors. Well, one of them was a cosmetics and beauty company named Arbonne, which sells vegan, cruelty-free products. Well, the prize was for five free facials. Since I have no need for such a prize, I messaged my best friend's wife and told her about the deal (we're friends too). She was quite pleased and told me that she's going to contact the Arbonne rep tomorrow (since I was told the prize was transferable). Additionally, I'm personally going to be getting some discount opportunities for its line of men's skin care products! Cool beans! :cool:

I had no clue Arbonne was vegan! This is super exciting, as I'll soon need to replace my current lipstick (almost out, oh no!) and want to find a good cruelty-free brand, since I found out that the one I'm using now does animal testing. Thanks for the info!

Aristede likes this.
#167 Old 09-27-2013, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatWellPrtyHard View Post

I had no clue Arbonne was vegan! This is super exciting, as I'll soon need to replace my current lipstick (almost out, oh no!) and want to find a good cruelty-free brand, since I found out that the one I'm using now does animal testing. Thanks for the info!

There are so many great companies out there that specialize in cruelty-free and vegan products (and sometimes organic too). Arbonne is a good one and I took the business cards of several others. I'll be posting the company names in a thread soon once I go through the extensive bag of cards, brochures, and other literature that I received from the Chicago Veganmania vendors and advocacy groups..

#168 Old 09-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

This thread is great :)

I've been trying to cleanse my life of negativity lately (it doesn't help my depression one bit) and things like this are so wonderful to see. Too often we focus on the negative and forget the positive.

Positives in my life:

I got married earlier this month.

We're going on a honeymoon to NYC and Salem, MA in October.

Going to Disneyland in October too.

Halloween is coming up!

Husband gets out of the Marine Corps soon.

I started making jewelry to sell on etsy.

My recovery from depression (which got horrible back in December. I was admitted to county psych) is going so well. I've completely committed to it.

And of course:

I'm back on veggieboards with my old friends :)

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#169 Old 09-27-2013, 06:23 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

My positive: one of my favorite vbers is back!
Werewolf Girl likes this.

Quote:
#170 Old 09-27-2013, 06:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome back sequoia! VB missed you! smiley.gif
#171 Old 09-28-2013, 04:16 AM

This week-end I’m invited to visit a really, really, long lost and found, good friend at her house in the woods. I am so thrilled, I feel like when I was a teenager invited to a sleepover.

And... if every vegan convinced just another to go vegan, and that one convinced another, you know? She’s become vegan on account of me, is now raising her grand-daughter a vegan, and now her husband is vegan too! (Actually, it’s quite fascinating, her own father turned vegan at the venerable age of 80, after reading the China Study.)

Isabelle, aka La Grenouille
My blog (in French): L’herbivore — http://lherbivore.ca
#172 Old 09-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular

That's fantastic, La Grenouille! Change is incremental, but if you can convince someone of a better way, it's a great accomplishment indeed!

#173 Old 09-28-2013, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I made my own vegan "Parmesan" today using toasted walnuts, nutritional yeast, paprika, and a few other seasonings. It was really good with some simple spaghetti that I made. While it doesn't exactly match the complexities of aged Parmigiano-Reggiano, it has its own delicious flavor. I'm going to continue exploring more of these vegan options, because they're turning out pretty well.

Aristede:chef:

#174 Old 09-28-2013, 09:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I convinced one VBer to come back, and indirectly asked another to come back, and they both did!! I went to a wedding where the reception was vegan, and really good. We did not lose power at home today after a storm came up.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#175 Old 09-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

I convinced one VBer to come back, and indirectly asked another to come back, and they both did!! I went to a wedding where the reception was vegan, and really good. We did not lose power at home today after a storm came up.

Lots of positive things, Purp! Good for you! 

#176 Old 09-29-2013, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

You guys are so awesome ^_^

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#177 Old 09-29-2013, 10:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

No... you're full of awesome! :up:

#178 Old 10-01-2013, 04:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I went out today and leafleted over 125 Vegan Outreach and Humane Myth leaflets in less than one hour downtown!  After all it is World Vegetarian day!  I wore my vegan shirt too.  This is my second time leafleting and first time doing it on my own.  My sister came along for moral support but did not hand out leaflets herself.  My sister has paranoid schizophrenia so just coming along was a big deal for her.  I ran out of leaflets long before finishing my planned route.  People really took an interest!  One guy (a farmer) talked about being interested in growing lab meat to save on land and animals (I didn't say a thing about that subject and it isn't even mentioned in the literature I had, it was totally his doing).  And he is an omnivore!!!!  There is hope guys lol.  Only a few disgusted stares and one person muttered to their friend that "she looks like she is wearing leather shoes".  LMAO I had hemp shoes on with recycled fair trade vegan rubber from Wicked Hemp.  But such trivial things aren't worth getting worked up over when there are billions of animals being abused and slaughtered and laborers being exploited so people can enjoy the taste of meat.  The least I can do is take some time to spread the word about what is going on and what we can do.  I already have plans to leaflet all the colleges and the city streets near the high schools lol.  Call it beginners enthusiasm!

Aristede, Purp and vegan cyberpunk like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#179 Old 10-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Quote:

No... you're full of awesome! :up:

We're ALL full of awesome.:rockon:

I made dinner tonight, and it was vegan bean and pumpkin enchilada pie, and tossed green salad, and celebratory chocolate chip cookies for dessert, and it was all vegan!! And there wasn't any complaints about it at all ("Purp, we're meat eaters, not vegetarians").

#180 Old 10-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I went to the library today, returning some books, and checking out others, and getting 3 that I had on hold. Veganomicon, Vegan Eats World, and Vegan With A Vengeance, plus Vegan Family Favorites, The Artful Vegan, and Native Foods Restaurant Cooking. Also the DVD of Forks Over Knives (I want to share that with my parents some evening). Life certainly is good right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page