The POSITIVE thread - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#91 Old 08-08-2013, 09:44 PM

Positive news of the day: After almost three weeks in China, I'm starting to get back into the swing of writing blog posts in advance, checking out what's new on VeggieBoards and scrolling through my favorite blogs--it's such a relief to be finally going through some familiar motions in a totally foreign place. I missed this happy thread!

Question to everyone who's been involved in the cobbler conversation--any ideas about how to make the crumble topping without an oven? Greenjay, I'm drooooooooling over the thought of the cobbler you made, but Chinese apartments don't have ovens. No conventional baking for a year--ack!! All I've got is a gas stove, some pots n' pans, and a single-temperature toaster oven that fits small things (a potato, a mini-pizza, etc) in it.

I'll bet simmering fruit on the stovetop would make a decent filling, and blending some frozen bananas would make good ice cream...but it just isn't the same without the crumble on top!

Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 08-08-2013, 10:32 PM

I was getting food from the vegetarian store at the food court when a little girl passed by with her family, and upon seeing my meal she went, 'mommy I want to eat this!'

And the mom looked up at the sign that said vegetarian and went, 'but there's no meat!' and the girl was like 'it looks good. I want to eat this!'

And then both parents gave in, and all 3 of them decided to get vegetarian food. Trust the little girl to tell them that they don't need meat with every meal! Hehe, I'm sure they saw that I was smiling. I hope they like it, the food IS pretty good.

Check out my blog,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a reflection of anime, veganism and animal rights!
Latest post: Serial Experiments Lain and the Upper Layer of Reality
#93 Old 08-08-2013, 10:35 PM

You can try to make it like campfire cobbler. 

Here is my campfire cobbler recipe

in a dutch oven (or if you don't have one, a pot with a lid might work- to recreate an oven like environment, the heavier the lid the better to keep in the heat) 

put in 2 cans pie filling (adjust depending on size of pan, lower temp/less cooking time for thinner layer)

sprinkle a box of cake mix on top (may not be suitable for vegans... sorry, unless there is vegan cakemix out there)

cover with 1/2 cup veggie shortening, I usually use a cube and cut it so it is 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick

cover, put it on the smoldering coals of a campfire and cook until done. Never made it on the stove but you can try to just cook it on low until it is done... its important to not lift the lid because too much heat will escape. 

Now if you use fresh fruit, you can make the pie filling your self by cooking the fruit with a little juice and corn starch as thickener... and sugar or other sweetener to taste

if you want to try to replicate the oat crumble I would suggest trying to use it as the recipe says, if it doesn't cook right then try instant oatmeal with all the spices, nuts etc but with less shortening, if any. 

since it doesn't have eggs in it, if it is under cooked you can still eat it, just might be a little weird tasting, but at the same time might be really wonderful that way.  

#94 Old 08-08-2013, 10:37 PM

My positives for today include my sisters went out of their way to help me, which is amazing since several years ago we weren't even talking to each other. We have all been working through things and I'm glad to see so many positive changes. 

#95 Old 08-10-2013, 04:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Since this is early morning my positive is for yesterday.  I was riding my bike to work and was wearing my vegan shirt (from user pic).  Two cyclists coming the other way across the street waved and gave me a thumbs up as they passed!  Made my day.

Also, I am going on a five day canoe camping wilderness trip in two days.  My omnivore husband is coming with and he is going to eat vegan the entire trip!  I planned the menu and wanted to include food that is light weight and compact for packing but nutrient dense, doesn't need refrigeration, is easy to prepare and clean up, and doesn't require a lot of cooking energy (aka fuel or fire).  Vegan food in general is much easier to clean up than animal anyway.  We will be eating a lot of dried fruits, dehydrated veggies, bean mixes, lentils, oats, seeds, organic rice milk powder, etc.  It will be interesting to see if he feels any different at the end of the week.  I made sure to include high calorie food for him in there such as nut butter on tortillas and so on.  We will be doing lots of paddling and carrying heavy packs (thirty to forty lbs) across portage trails so we will need the extra energy.  He has really come a long ways since early 2011 when I first told him I was vegan.  We used to fight about it constantly.  He grew up with dairy farmers and hunters and is an avid meat eater.  Now he sees how much success I have had and how good and healthy vegan food can be and he is also into UFC fighting and knows there are several vegan fighters so suddenly it isn't so unhealthy to be vegan in his opinion now lol. 

60225 and EatWellPrtyHard like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#96 Old 08-10-2013, 04:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Getting to go to my local veggie fest today! Looking forward to that Caribbean chicken place again.
Werewolf Girl likes this.
#97 Old 08-11-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post

My omnivore husband is coming with and he is going to eat vegan the entire trip!  I planned the menu and wanted to include food that is light weight and compact for packing but nutrient dense, doesn't need refrigeration, is easy to prepare and clean up, and doesn't require a lot of cooking energy (aka fuel or fire).  Vegan food in general is much easier to clean up than animal anyway.  We will be eating a lot of dried fruits, dehydrated veggies, bean mixes, lentils, oats, seeds, organic rice milk powder, etc.  It will be interesting to see if he feels any different at the end of the week.  I made sure to include high calorie food for him in there such as nut butter on tortillas and so on.  We will be doing lots of paddling and carrying heavy packs (thirty to forty lbs) across portage trails so we will need the extra energy.  He has really come a long ways since early 2011 when I first told him I was vegan.  We used to fight about it constantly.  He grew up with dairy farmers and hunters and is an avid meat eater.  Now he sees how much success I have had and how good and healthy vegan food can be and he is also into UFC fighting and knows there are several vegan fighters so suddenly it isn't so unhealthy to be vegan in his opinion now lol. 

Reading this is a positive for me! My boyfriend of 3 years is an omnivore and he doesn't plan on going vegan (or vegetarian) but he is supportive and he likes to eat organic food, but soon we'll actually be moving in together and I hope it doesn't make things more difficult. I love hearing that vegan/omnivore relationships work out for others, too!

#98 Old 08-12-2013, 04:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeona View Post

Reading this is a positive for me! My boyfriend of 3 years is an omnivore and he doesn't plan on going vegan (or vegetarian) but he is supportive and he likes to eat organic food, but soon we'll actually be moving in together and I hope it doesn't make things more difficult. I love hearing that vegan/omnivore relationships work out for others, too!

I'm glad that your boyfriend is supportive!  That is a huge deal.  I hope that it works out for the two of you.  You could maybe sit down together and talk about what living vegan will mean for you when you live together.  For me I do not use commercial cleaning supplies or toiletries and I tend to do the grocery shopping.  It did take my husband some time to get used to me using vinegar to wash windows and mirrors lol.  Also, we use separate cupboards and areas of the refrigerator for our food and separate cooking pots and so on, and animal products are off limits to my blendtec.  He has been very flexible and supportive in this area so I am fortunate.  He used to demand that I cook his meat at first which I refused, but he has grown to enjoy eating my vegan meals much more, and he now cooks his own food if he wants something non vegan, though on occasion I have boiled his eggs for him or added his cheese to his portion of some dish.  I am never tempted because 1. dairy made me ill when I was an omnivore so I avoided it then too and 2. I find meat disgusting and knowing what I know about the meat industry and dairy industry I could never go back to that.  I also do sometimes get irritated that he still buys traditional eggs and doesn't even attempt to at least buy organic but I have learned to tone down my criticism of his choices because I certainly didn't like it when he criticized mine.  As I said we have come a long way, and both of us have needed to make compromises so that we could make it work.  In an ideal world there would be no animal products in our house at all but we share bills equally and the house is in his name.

I know this is supposed to be a positive thread but the night before we were supposed to leave for our canoe trip, I was very suddenly and swiftly hit with some sort of stomach virus, complete with vomiting, diarrhea, chills, fever, and muscle aches.  I am still sick.  So despite months of planning and working for this trip and looking forward to a vacation from school and work I was not able to go (our entry permit was designated for a certain day and due to demand nearly impossible to change).  My husband went by himself which I am happy with because I wanted him to get to do it too and that way we didn't waste the spot and the money.  At least I do have a solid week of rest and not a thing planned so that's a plus. 

#99 Old 08-12-2013, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

My positive of the day! They weren't afraid of me taking their pictures .... I love them oh so much! smiley.gif
#100 Old 08-12-2013, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

This is to advise that you have been granted a [...] Visa, Subclass [...], [...].

Oh Yeah Baby !

Goodbye Europe, Welcome Down Under, Via Eastern Europe first for a few weeks.

Buying my plane tickets ( veggie option for the menu please, but those idiots will probably add eggs, morons ! ), packing my veteran backpack, & woof, going on the opposite side of the planet.

https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#101 Old 08-12-2013, 12:41 PM
Banned

Quote:

I know this is supposed to be a positive thread but the night before we were supposed to leave for our canoe trip, I was very suddenly and swiftly hit with some sort of stomach virus, complete with vomiting, diarrhea, chills, fever, and muscle aches.  I am still sick.  So despite months of planning and working for this trip and looking forward to a vacation from school and work I was not able to go (our entry permit was designated for a certain day and due to demand nearly impossible to change).

What a bummer!  Really sorry to hear you missed your much longed for holiday x hope you get better very soon hug.gif

Naturebound likes this.
#102 Old 08-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet-Vegan View Post

What a bummer!  Really sorry to hear you missed your much longed for holiday x hope you get better very soon hug.gif

Thank you Quiet-Vegan!  Much appreciated.  I am lamenting for the campfire, loon calls and romance I would have enjoyed tonight but I am also grateful that I am getting more sleep than I have in a long time. 

#103 Old 08-12-2013, 05:55 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet-Vegan View Post

Thank you Quiet-Vegan!  Much appreciated.  I am lamenting for the campfire, loon calls and romance I would have enjoyed tonight but I am also grateful that I am getting more sleep than I have in a long time. 

Hope you're feeling better. Here's some loon calls. smiley.gif
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw1It3AlXmQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DHw1It3AlXmQ
#104 Old 08-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Hope you're feeling better. Here's some loon calls. smiley.gif
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw1It3AlXmQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DHw1It3AlXmQ

Oh wow thank you!  And perfect timing too!  That lake is not too far off from where I would have been too.  Aren't loons the most beautiful birds?

#105 Old 08-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Naturebound feel better soon ! It must be hard without hubby but you need your rest .... so rest up and when hubby gets back you will be well enough to spend some romantic time smiley.gif Tonight just look up at the beautiful night sky and know you both are sharing the same celestial blanket at that very moment smiley.gif
#106 Old 08-13-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

This is to advise that you have been granted a [...] Visa, Subclass [...], [...].

Oh Yeah Baby !

Buying my plane tickets ( veggie option for the menu please, but those idiots will probably add eggs, morons ! ), packing my veteran backpack, & woof, going on the opposite side of the planet.

How exciting!! How long are you staying?

#107 Old 08-14-2013, 03:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Dunno, the visa is for a year or two, so we will see, according mainly to my usual mix of boredom / opportunities :-)

I might apply for an investor visa that could basically last forever as well if i feel like doing vegan biz again, but not sure about giving myself headaches and responsabilities and chains & all at this point, but i will still explore some opportunites :-)

https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#108 Old 08-14-2013, 09:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

Oh Yeah Baby !

Woooohoooo!!!! Have a great time in Australia!!!

Quote:

I'm glad that your boyfriend is supportive!  That is a huge deal.  I hope that it works out for the two of you.  You could maybe sit down together and talk about what living vegan will mean for you when you live together.  For me I do not use commercial cleaning supplies or toiletries and I tend to do the grocery shopping.  It did take my husband some time to get used to me using vinegar to wash windows and mirrors lol.  Also, we use separate cupboards and areas of the refrigerator for our food and separate cooking pots and so on, and animal products are off limits to my blendtec.  He has been very flexible and supportive in this area so I am fortunate.  He used to demand that I cook his meat at first which I refused, but he has grown to enjoy eating my vegan meals much more, and he now cooks his own food if he wants something non vegan, though on occasion I have boiled his eggs for him or added his cheese to his portion of some dish.  I am never tempted because 1. dairy made me ill when I was an omnivore so I avoided it then too and 2. I find meat disgusting and knowing what I know about the meat industry and dairy industry I could never go back to that.  I also do sometimes get irritated that he still buys traditional eggs and doesn't even attempt to at least buy organic but I have learned to tone down my criticism of his choices because I certainly didn't like it when he criticized mine.  As I said we have come a long way, and both of us have needed to make compromises so that we could make it work.  In an ideal world there would be no animal products in our house at all but we share bills equally and the house is in his name.

I know this is supposed to be a positive thread but the night before we were supposed to leave for our canoe trip, I was very suddenly and swiftly hit with some sort of stomach virus, complete with vomiting, diarrhea, chills, fever, and muscle aches.  I am still sick.  So despite months of planning and working for this trip and looking forward to a vacation from school and work I was not able to go (our entry permit was designated for a certain day and due to demand nearly impossible to change).  My husband went by himself which I am happy with because I wanted him to get to do it too and that way we didn't waste the spot and the money.  At least I do have a solid week of rest and not a thing planned so that's a plus. 

Sorry you got sick, especially when you were looking forward to this. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#109 Old 08-15-2013, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Bf has taken the day off tomorrow so we can have a day together for what feels like the first time in MONTHS. We are going for a hike with our pup, I can't wait.

I'm running again, and its feeling good.

I just bought some vegan friendly cowboy boots - my first non-leather boots. Since making the change just over a year ago I've been wearing my old shoes and boots but I thought it was time for a treat!

EatWellPrtyHard likes this.

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
#110 Old 08-16-2013, 08:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I got in some photos at a local back to school fair, several of which made me smile. I made a quinoa pilaf which was delicious, and I got in 2 hours of weight training and an 11 mile walk-run, and have lost 20 lbs. carrot.gifpibo.gifbroccoli.gifdancingbanana.gif Plus, I got to use all 4 dancing fruit and veggie smilies. That's always a good thing.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#111 Old 08-17-2013, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I am baking cupcakes for my boyfriend it is his birthday on Monday smiley.gif I am planning an indoor picnic .... why not outdoors? Well, I am getting over a summer cold sad.gif the positive is we will still have fun!
#112 Old 08-17-2013, 06:47 PM

Tonight my daughter (8) asked me to REALLY have a chat with Dadd aout his meat consumption. “I don’t thnik he gets it, Maman...” Well, the good news is, she does!

Isabelle, aka La Grenouille
My blog (in French): L’herbivore — http://lherbivore.ca
#113 Old 08-17-2013, 10:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender phase View Post

I am baking cupcakes for my boyfriend it is his birthday on Monday smiley.gif I am planning an indoor picnic .... why not outdoors? Well, I am getting over a summer cold sad.gif the positive is we will still have fun!

Happy birthday to your boyfriend. What kind of cupcakes, besides vegan? Hope you are feeling better soon.

#114 Old 08-18-2013, 03:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Thank you ! smiley.gif I am making red velvet and carrot cupcakes his favourites smiley.gif I am feeling much better thank you! Now only if I could tell how much of it is allergies ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

Happy birthday to your boyfriend. What kind of cupcakes, besides vegan? Hope you are feeling better soon.
#115 Old 08-19-2013, 12:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender phase View Post

Thank you ! smiley.gif I am making red velvet and carrot cupcakes his favourites smiley.gif I am feeling much better thank you! Now only if I could tell how much of it is allergies ....

Ohhhhhhh, sounds good. I'm glad you're feeling better.

#116 Old 08-19-2013, 05:54 PM

I just received my order of 50 lbs of vital wheat gluten!

Isabelle, aka La Grenouille
My blog (in French): L’herbivore — http://lherbivore.ca
#117 Old 08-20-2013, 03:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I always thought it would be difficult to make tea sandwiches, they look so difficult but I made some for my boyfriend for his birthday and he loved them smiley.gif
I made an indoor picnic / tea party for two .... The cupcakes were yummy and we went with hot hibiscus tea for the tea sandwiches and iced lemon tea with the cupcakes .... I used cookie cutter shapes in different shapes for each flavour .... This would be neat for me to make for my mom on mothers day smiley.gif
#118 Old 08-21-2013, 07:49 PM
Impeach the gangster

My new little puppy met some neighborhood kids today, and chased them 'round and 'round. She's so worn out, she's sleeping the night away.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#119 Old 08-21-2013, 08:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I got out of one of my cast on Friday, and gave up soda.

It takes two to speak the truth: one to speak, and another to hear.
—Henry David Thoreau
My site
#120 Old 08-21-2013, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm rubbing my kitty's tummy! And he's purring and smiling. 

Aristedebook2.gif

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page