The POSITIVE thread - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 06-23-2013, 10:48 PM

Hi positive peeps!

Veganpride, thanks for the house update. 

Jennifer, glad to hear you got rain, still waiting for rain down here. Hope tomorrow goes better for you. 

Purp, congratulations on your marathon. That is a great accomplishment. 

Just finished with an amazing night hike. The group was way to large (over 40 people for 1 ranger), so the ranger (who used to be a coworker when I was with the state parks) let me take my friends out on our own. As we walked around under the full moon light, we could hear and see so much of the wildlife. the highlights of what we saw include one of the alligators, a bunch of birds roosting, mostly egrets and a few herons and cormorants, some great spiders spinning their webs, adult ant lions had emerged and were flying around one of the trails, a glowing eye spot click beetle, an armadillo and a bobcat. The moon was beautiful, although no more beautiful than any other full moon. It was a wonderful night with so many wildlife songs all around us.  

I'm now super happy and excited and its almost 1am and I am exhausted but not at all tired because I just want to go outside and sleep under the moon and stars. But now I will go shower to wash off any chiggers or ticks that hitched a ride out of the park before they make a meal of me. I already picked one off my ear. But that is what happens when you take a short cut through the forest. 

Jennifer C and VeganPride like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 06-24-2013, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenjay View Post

Hi positive peeps!

Jennifer, glad to hear you got rain, still waiting for rain down here. Hope tomorrow goes better for you. 

Just finished with an amazing night hike. The group was way to large (over 40 people for 1 ranger), so the ranger (who used to be a coworker when I was with the state parks) let me take my friends out on our own. As we walked around under the full moon light, we could hear and see so much of the wildlife. the highlights of what we saw include one of the alligators, a bunch of birds roosting, mostly egrets and a few herons and cormorants, some great spiders spinning their webs, adult ant lions had emerged and were flying around one of the trails, a glowing eye spot click beetle, an armadillo and a bobcat. The moon was beautiful, although no more beautiful than any other full moon. It was a wonderful night with so many wildlife songs all around us.  

I'm now super happy and excited and its almost 1am and I am exhausted but not at all tired because I just want to go outside and sleep under the moon and stars. But now I will go shower to wash off any chiggers or ticks that hitched a ride out of the park before they make a meal of me. I already picked one off my ear. But that is what happens when you take a short cut through the forest. 

Thanks. Your night hike sounds like a lot of fun...I'd love to see an alligator in real life, and not in a zoo.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#33 Old 06-24-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:

Hi positive peeps!

Wow! What a nite Purp! Sounds amazing. It's so dry here and our beautiful state parks are burning sad.gif they have recently closed so many of them. Hopefully we get rain in July...it's our monsoon season. Pray for rain!!! smiley.gif))
#34 Old 06-25-2013, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I woke up to the beautiful chirping of a cardinal ! The distinctive chirp and bright red feathers made it easy to find him in the oak tree this morning smiley.gif

I enjoyed lovely moonlit evenings these past few days
I just love having a cup of tea under the stars and feel natures energy surround me smiley.gif

I am a fan of martial arts & love doing a few moves in my exercise routine I heart the round house smiley.gif

Went out to eat with a few friends I enjoyed their company not concerned with what foods were on their plates enjoyed what was on mine Lol gave an extra tip to the waiter because he told me he was not sure how the beans were cooked .... Had fun!

Planning a fourth of July get together with friends is always fun ! I will sew some take home gifts not sure what just yet but will post it as soon as I do!
Werewolf Girl likes this.
#35 Old 06-25-2013, 05:16 PM

Hi everyone, 

I have great news to share... I got my old job back in my old district. I took a job in at a charter school this past school year because so many of my kids in the public school were in gangs/cartels. But there were many more issues with the charter school than the public school I left. So they took me back.

When I went back to meet with my dept head who is teaching summer school, many of the teachers and a few of the students recognized me and welcomed me back. it is so nice to be welcomed after i left them last year. I am excited for school to start now... although also looking forward to enjoying the rest of my summer. 

Back to my microbiology homework... one more week to go, my final is on July 3rd. 

Werewolf Girl and Jennifer C like this.
#36 Old 06-27-2013, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Greenjay goodluck with your studies smiley.gif

Today positives are first and foremost my lil girl doggy is two years old sweetness to be blessed with her loving companionship smiley.gif Happy Birthday Lola! smiley.gif

I see early blooms on my butterfly bush must be from all the rain ....

Each day lil baby steps I am going green .... I am not perfect. Who is? smiley.gif
#37 Old 06-29-2013, 09:09 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Today, at the local farmer's market, I suddenly found myself in the middle of a sort of poodle flash mob. Two standard poodles with their humans, two golden retriever/poodle mixed breed, and someone with their miniature poodle. Several minutes of tongues hanging out, noses touching...

The dogs seemed to be enjoying themselves too.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#38 Old 06-29-2013, 12:01 PM
Beginner

Today myself and my Dad went down to Brighton. I got to get all nostalgic about the marathon that I did last year, pointing out some of the bits that I ran. Also, I picked up a pair of huge dm style boots from vegetarian shoes. They have steel toe caps, are knee high and should hopefully last ages with the added extra that they are totally veggie friendly ^_^ I'm thinking of wearing them with a floaty skirt tomorrow ^_^
#39 Old 06-29-2013, 06:41 PM

What great things to be happy about, butterfly blooms, doggie birthdays, poodle flash mobs, marathon memories and new veggie boots. Thanks for sharing. :) 

My positive for today is that I had planned to spend my birthday writing my 7-10 page research paper due Monday that I've researched but haven't started writing yet but instead my friends rescued me from myself and took me out for a great day. There are more surprise festivities planned for tomorrow too. Including an omni friend who researched veggie recipes and is planning to make a veggie pizza with cauliflower crust and no cheese, just veggies. :) 

I also am very thankful to have not been hit with a water shortage and still have good water pressure at my house. So many other people here are having problems with water pressure now because we just don't have enough water. My poor fruit and nut trees are currently getting watered before the city starts limiting yard watering. Since I have them on a drip irrigation system, they never know when I am watering. So far I've gotten half of them done and have devised a way to divert my washing machine water to the pecan trees and mesquite. I should be able to finish the rest this weekend before the city makes any decisions. 

Also the cactus that I have been watering are in full fruit with luscious beautiful fuchsia fruits. Loving the sparkling juice I make with them in tonic water with a little maple syrup and lemon. 

#40 Old 06-29-2013, 07:33 PM
Zelda Freak

I have a fan in my bedroom - thank goodness because it's too hot for my rain-loving bones. So that's a biggie. I just took a looooooong nap under the fan.

And I'm happy today that we have some excellent mods here at VB. My weekend was getting kind of messy and "I'm about to jump off a bridge" minded and they've been awesome, which makes me a lot less emo and more positive. 

Also, finally, it's cooling down tonight, so I'm sitting on the porch writing and bird watching + I have a huge vegan frap in hand and that's always good. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#41 Old 07-02-2013, 08:11 PM

Hi Positive folks, 

Jennifer, I hope you are feeling less stressed this week. 

My positives for today are:

I just have my final tomorrow for my class and I am done until I get into grad school

Found a super cute Ox Beetle in my yard yesterday that was on her back and probably dehydrated from being in the super hot sun. So I took her in and she perked up after spending several hours with her face in a wet paper towel. This morning she had eaten a bit of cherry and sweet potato, so she was released back to the wild. She was really kind and never flew out of my hand. I had to place her on some of the rotting bananas from the tree that fell. I haven't picked it up yet because the rotting bananas attract butterflies and other interesting critters. They were green when the tree fell, so I wasn't going to use them so left them for the wildones. 

#42 Old 07-03-2013, 07:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow Greenjay I have never seen an Ox Beatle before she was very lucky you found her to help her along smiley.gif I have a lil baby bunny in my garden poor lil bunny hops away before I can snap a pic she is on her guard cannot blame her .... Best of luck on your final Greenjay! smiley.gif I was up late last night adding some finishing touches to the cell phone pocket cozies for a few of my friends .... I'm not a huge fan of the fourth of July since it scares my animal friends ..
.. My dog and four cats and my outside animal friends get startled .... Finely my fish friend seems not to care Lol My positive is seeing some good friends tomorrow that are awesome they love animals and DON'T eat meat ! I know tomorrow is a big day for omnis to BBQ however if you want the rainbow you have to tolerate the rain ....
#43 Old 07-04-2013, 01:12 PM

Lots of Turtle Happiness to share this 4th of July!!!!

Spent the morning cheering the baby Kemp's Ridley sea turtles on as they make their way to the ocean. Thank goodness the crowds kept the gulls and crabs away from the babies as they flippered their way into the welcoming ocean waves. It made my summer to see their little heads popping up beyond the breakers as their important journey in life began. After they all were into the water, we walked along the beach and threw back the jellies that had washed up with the tide. 

Thanks to Sea Turtle Inc http://www.seaturtleinc.org/ for saving thousands of turtles a year and for making today's release possible and open to the public. What a great way to encourage more people to care about our fellow earthlings than to make them a part of such an important moment in about 150 babies' lives. I loved to see so many parents with kids who were there for the 6:30am release. 

Tom, t0mmy and Jennifer C like this.
#44 Old 07-05-2013, 11:17 AM

Ahhhh I LOVE turtles that's amazing!

My positive: I'm staying home this Friday night to catch up on some work. (No really, I'm relieved!)

#45 Old 07-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

Lots of Turtle Happiness to share this 4th of July!!!!

Spent the morning cheering the baby Kemp's Ridley sea turtles on as they make their way to the ocean. Thank goodness the crowds kept the gulls and crabs away from the babies as they flippered their way into the welcoming ocean waves. It made my summer to see their little heads popping up beyond the breakers as their important journey in life began. After they all were into the water, we walked along the beach and threw back the jellies that had washed up with the tide. 

Thanks to Sea Turtle Inc http://www.seaturtleinc.org/ for saving thousands of turtles a year and for making today's release possible and open to the public. What a great way to encourage more people to care about our fellow earthlings than to make them a part of such an important moment in about 150 babies' lives. I loved to see so many parents with kids who were there for the 6:30am release. 

Thanks for the lovely photos! Brings back great memories of when my kids were small and my parents were friends with the Turtle Man. He was in charge of their stretch of beach, marking and dating nests. If they didn't hatch on time, he would dig them up and help the little hatchlings to the ocean. My kids helped dozens of times, we had mostly loggerheads, but once had a green turtle nest (rare) and a few Kemps Ridley nests. So fun! I have to dig up some of the pictures (no digital then! ) grin.gif
Tom, t0mmy, Jennifer C and 1 others like this.
#46 Old 07-07-2013, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

My local 7-11 just started selling soy milk and Silk soy creamer for coffee! WHAT! I'm shocked, that always seemed as likely to me as aliens landing in our backyard. tongue3.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#47 Old 07-08-2013, 02:07 AM

My dad, who's had dangerously high levels of cholesterol in recent years, got a much improved result on his latest test!

He's been cutting prawn and other 'fatty' meats without much success for a while now. This is the first test he's had since I went veg. We've been eating at more veg restaurants, he even opts to eat veg some times even when he's not with me, and the only meat he now eats is fish.

This test result is really encouraging for me. So far, everything I've told my family about the health benefits of a veg diet are really statistical or abstract. This is the first time I'm actually seeing something concrete in my life!

He's not in the safe zone yet, but I'm happy for him. I told him that the next best thing he can do is to consume less cheese and eggs, get the healthier options even at veg restaurants, and exercise a little more. I'm also learning to cook oil free to help him :)Y

Check out my blog,
, a reflection of anime, veganism and animal rights!
Latest post: Serial Experiments Lain and the Upper Layer of Reality
#48 Old 07-09-2013, 01:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yingchen View Post

My dad, who's had dangerously high levels of cholesterol in recent years, got a much improved result on his latest test!

He's been cutting prawn and other 'fatty' meats without much success for a while now. This is the first test he's had since I went veg. We've been eating at more veg restaurants, he even opts to eat veg some times even when he's not with me, and the only meat he now eats is fish.

This test result is really encouraging for me. So far, everything I've told my family about the health benefits of a veg diet are really statistical or abstract. This is the first time I'm actually seeing something concrete in my life!

He's not in the safe zone yet, but I'm happy for him. I told him that the next best thing he can do is to consume less cheese and eggs, get the healthier options even at veg restaurants, and exercise a little more. I'm also learning to cook oil free to help him :)Y

That's fantastic! It's so exciting to see real results like that. smiley.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#49 Old 07-09-2013, 05:41 PM

Today I had the pleasure of watching a big male great-tailed grackle have a long, splash-filled dip in my birdbath. Joy!

#50 Old 07-10-2013, 04:39 AM
High King of Eire

A few days ago I ordered a t-shirt that said "Vegetarian" on the front of it, despite the fact that I'm vegan (I did do it accidentally of course), so what I'm going to do is put a red line through the letters "etari" on the shirt, probably in dye. I think it would look pretty good, not too sure about it though :/ aw well, it's the wrong shirt anyway, if I make a mess of it it doesn;t really matter. I'll post pics of it later maybe.
#51 Old 07-10-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

I've finished and survived my first ever half marathon yesterday, and only $20 short of the goal I wanted to raise for my charity. I'm still sore from the marathon, but had a great time.  

That's amazing! Huge congrats. Any pics from the race?

Positive news. Hmm. After months of waiting, my application for a work visa was just approved by the Chinese government. I'll soon be able to start teaching Engilsh. Woo hoo!

#52 Old 07-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

My morning meditation- (Adapted from Bokar Rinpoche)

Today, from this instant on until the moment in the evening that I fall asleep, I will exert myself to accomplish all the positive and reject all the negative. I will work to better myself so I can be of benefit to all beings I encounter, human, animal, or otherwise.

Today I will avoid causing harm through my physical actions. I will avoid causing harm through my speech. I will avoid causing harm through my thoughts.

Today I will do my best to engage in beneficial physical activity. I will do my best to speak useful and pleasant words. I will do my best to nourish well-wishing thoughts for all beings.

P.s.I also found $3 in a pair of pants I washed. Yay!
Vegetarian Zen likes this.
#53 Old 07-11-2013, 09:07 AM

What a wonderful meditation, Rinchen! I may need to borrow this one. smiley.gif  And hooray for $3!!  Hope you have a peaceful day.

Larissa

#54 Old 07-11-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatWellPrtyHard View Post

That's amazing! Huge congrats. Any pics from the race?

Positive news. Hmm. After months of waiting, my application for a work visa was just approved by the Chinese government. I'll soon be able to start teaching Engilsh. Woo hoo!

That's such great news!  We'll need to hear lots of updates on your adventures when you move!

Larissa

#55 Old 07-13-2013, 07:05 PM

My parents are out of town for the weekend, I now have my own apartment and will be moving in in August (and the landlord is letting me keep my dog!), I graduated high school, quit smoking, am an official college student, and... oh, I decided to go vegetarian again now that I rent my own place and my mom can't say ANYTHING. I don't have to listen to her complain because I won't be living in the same house.

#56 Old 07-14-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetarian Zen View Post

That's such great news!  We'll need to hear lots of updates on your adventures when you move!

Larissa

Thanks!! I'm super-excited, but also overwhelmed at everything that needs to be done before the flight. Yikes--here goes!

#57 Old 07-15-2013, 11:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Made an awesome taco salad, most ingredients from my garden (tomato, kale, lettuce, beet greens, scallion, peppers). It was delicious with some steamed brown rice and refried bean-styled lentils (yes, it's tastier and easier to digest than pinto beans with tons of nutrition).

There's very few things in life better than some good non-toxic vegan food you grew yourself. Totally made my day, and this thread is awesome too.

4everaspirit likes this.

Fear is simply the consequence of the acceptance of ignorance; reject ignorance and accept knowledge-- with knowledge all fears are relinquished and the light of truth within shines through to guide your path.
#58 Old 07-16-2013, 05:35 AM

I am just in an obnoxiously good mood AGAIN today. I am transitioning to vegan, the sun is out and I am about to finish my coffee and workout..... :D

#59 Old 07-19-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunnybadgerkins View Post

I am just in an obnoxiously good mood AGAIN today. I am transitioning to vegan, the sun is out and I am about to finish my coffee and workout..... :D

Well, there's nothing obnoxious-sounding about that...have an obnoxiously wonderful day, Hunnybadgerkins!

#60 Old 07-24-2013, 11:06 PM

Great meditation Rinchen, thanks for sharing. 

So glad to stop by and read so many wonderful things that are going on in everyone's life. 

My positives for today include:

Went to lap swim at the public pool this afternoon and there was only 1 other person, so I pretty much had the pool to my self. It was wonderful just swimming and not worrying about running into anyone. I like swimming with my eyes closed and haven't had a chance to do that in weeks until today. 

Joined a friend in his research on moths tonight and saw so many beautiful moths, plus very cool beetles and a very adorable armadillo. 

Came home after the moth evening with enough energy to make oat, pecan and blueberry/strawberry breakfast bars for tomorrow. Just waiting for the last 15 minutes until I can take them out of the oven and go to bed. 

Also found out today that a curriculum writing project I thought I volunteered for, actually pays several hundred dollars, so I now will have enough to hopefully get a plane ticket to see my nieces and nephew during winter break. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page