So my dogs found a nest of newborn bunnies... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-01-2013, 06:39 AM
Veggie Regular

They found a nest of bunnies in our backyard. Luckily I caught them nosing around in it before they pulled any out. I couldn't tell what they were at first because they were completely hairless and pink and wrinkly. LOL.  I made the dogs leave them alone though and I guarded the nest every time I let them out to do their business.

Then the mama threw three of them out of the nest. :-( Two had died and one was still alive. I put the one that was alive back and so far I think it's fine. I haven't found any outside the nest anyway.

The dogs were way too interested though so I stacked some cinder blocks around the nest so the mama bunny could get through but not the dogs. But I didn't adequately judge the size of my dogs' heads because they managed to squeeze in and get one! It had a little cut on it's back and was bleeding. I put it back in the nest, but was sure it wouldn't make it....but wouldn't you know, it's been almost a week and the little guy is fine! His fur looks a little funny where the dog got him, but he seems perfectly normal and he's growing. They are both opening their eyes as of yesterday.

I don't mess with them much (although I'm beginning to think they aren't nearly as fragile as I'm being told...I mean my dog tried to EAT one), but I did snap a pic a few days ago:

And today:

I think there's just the two left, but I don't want to dig in the nest to find out. I just want to make sure the mama is still taking care of them. Everything I've read says she will still care for them even if she smells another animal (or human) on them. But she only comes once or twice a day to feed them. I have yet to see mama. She's sneaky. So I have no way of knowing other than pulling one out once a day and making sure it's still plump. LOL

I'd say they are growing, wouldn't you!?

I have no idea why mama bunny would have them in OUR yard. We are one of the few homes in our neighborhood with dogs or cats. *sigh*

The one I'm holding in the second pic is the one that was wounded. He's a tough little guy.

I'm thinking of putting up a fence of some chicken wire with a small hole so they can get in and out but have a safe place to hop around in a week or two. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-01-2013, 06:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Gah! That should say nest, not next! How do you fix thread titles? LOL

#3 Old 05-01-2013, 02:38 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauna_m View Post

Gah! That should say nest, not next! How do you fix thread titles? LOL

A mod has to do it. Consider it done.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#4 Old 05-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I have had several nests of rabbits in my yard over a period of twelve years. Two different dogs we had at different times found the nests but did not hurt the rabbits (one dog carried a baby in her mouth eek). Even after my husband and I handled the babies the mother came back every day to look after them. She would only come back a few times a day to feed them and provide her milk to them and would re cover them with her hair and with twigs and leaves and grass. So it sounds normal what the mother is doing in your case. She will still care for her young regardless of the scent. I believe that is a myth that animals will abandon their young if they smell humans or other predators. I have rescued baby birds fallen from nests and mother came back to take care of them also. It is amazing how fast those baby rabbits grow isnt it? they practically double their size every day.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 05-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Even though they seem very little, bunnies with that much fur and eyes open can move pretty well on their own. Contact a local wildlife rehabilitator if you can with these questions. Otherwise, I would leave the babies alone and hope for the best. Rabbit can easily die of fright, so try not to handle them. Use gloves if you absolutely need to handle them, as wildlife can carry diseases that may be dangerous to people and pets, not to mention fleas.
#6 Old 05-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

The bunny in the today pic looks almost big enough that he will be leaving for good soon.

I have several dogs in the yard and rabbits are always building nests here. I don't get their reasoning. :p

#7 Old 05-08-2013, 10:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

Contact a local wildlife rehabilitator if you can with these questions. Otherwise, I would leave the babies alone and hope for the best. Rabbit can easily die of fright, so try not to handle them. 

yeah, His eye is on the sparrow.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page