Monsanto in the NYT - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-15-2013, 11:07 PM

I was glancing through the New York Times and a headline stuck out to me: Farmer’s Supreme Court Challenge Puts Monsanto Patents at Risk

Here's the url in case the hyperlink doesn't work: http://nyti.ms/VVIEWd

Well it's not really vegan/vegetarian news, but I'm always interested in press on the American food industry. It's entirely too powerful and entirely too corrupt. Whether a large company deals firsthand with animals or not, it's quite likely that they will exploit the earth or humans in a way that is wholly detrimental.
I encourage you to read that article for yourself and formulate your own opinions about what should be done in that particular farmer's legal case. How much claim should the government be allowed to give to a company over a living thing? How should patent laws translate to the food industry?
Now, my view is going to be skewed. I'll openly admit my bias against large companies. As far as I'm concerned, a behemoth like Monsanto shouldn't be allowed to exist quite so unchallenged. Anybody who's seen Food, inc. will probably agree with me to a certain extent.
What's most upsetting to me is how biased the article is. I don't want to create a double standard, but my bias isn't subscribed to on a mass level. The Times only explains how a court order in favour of Bowman will wreak havoc on scientific advancement in the field of genetically modified plants and the author even cited claims (that seem a bit far fetched) from the electronics industry claiming that a loss for Monsanto would be a loss for them.
Sorry, New York Times. I didn't enjoy this one.

I'd love to see some discussion about this topic. Should companies be allowed to patent plants?
Hopefully we can all agree that GMOs are icky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-16-2013, 04:45 AM

The Supreme Court often issues surprising rulings so the outcome of this case is far from certain. I hope they're wiser than to buy into the argument from the Software Alliance connecting software replication to seed propagation in terms of patents.

It's obvious that consumers would be better of if Monsanto didn't have it's greedy hands in the food industry at all. And to think that conservatives call the NY Times a liberal newspaper.

#3 Old 02-16-2013, 05:11 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

"The other case, involving a breast cancer risk test from Myriad Genetics, will determine whether human genes can be patented. It is scheduled to be heard April 15."

shocked.gif
#4 Old 02-16-2013, 07:43 AM
Impeach the gangster

Common sense tells me that once a plant begins to grow, it ceases to be the invention of the patent-holder, and becomes something else, a new, different entity, on which the patent is no longer binding. The Supreme Court, however, has not always demonstrated common sense, and has slanted its rulings in favor of special (wealthy) concerns.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#5 Old 02-16-2013, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Should companies be allowed to patent plants?

I think there is certainly room for adjusting patent law but I'm not convinced that its necessarily a bad thing.

How do you feel about IP protection for non-gmo varieties?

Quote:
Hopefully we can all agree that GM Os are icky.

Nope.

As for the NYT article...
Bowman chose to buy and grow Monsanto seed. He then appears to knowingly break the law (you don't spray roundup on soybeans that you don't know are glyphosate resistant like he did).

If Bowman wants to be able to replant his soybeans then he can go with a heirloom variety from a company that doesn't have IP protection. Instead he wants the benefits of GMOs without having to pay for it. He needs to just do the hard work of selectively breeding his own good quality variety instead of trying to get something for free.

No gods, No masters, No woo, No whey! Ⓥ
Read my blog and be skeptical not susceptible
http://skepticalvegan.wordpress.com/
#6 Old 02-16-2013, 12:00 PM
Poo Pie Head

(quote)
Well it's not really vegan/vegetarian news,
(/quote)

Oh, yes the hell it is! Not exclusively, but oh yes it is! smiley.gif I hope it turns out in our favor, but I won't hold my breath.
#7 Old 02-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Moody View Post

(quote)
Well it's not really vegan/vegetarian news,
(/quote)

Oh, yes the hell it is! Not exclusively, but oh yes it is! smiley.gif I hope it turns out in our favor, but I won't hold my breath.

i dont see how it is, seeing how it focuses on GM plants

No gods, No masters, No woo, No whey! Ⓥ
Read my blog and be skeptical not susceptible
http://skepticalvegan.wordpress.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page