Insignificant things that get your goat "pet peeves" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 06-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Dropkick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Montana
Posts: 299

I have 2 pet peeves that recently came up and they're both fairly stupid things to be bothered about but they do anyway.

I was wondering if any of you had anything similar?

 

 

My peeves:

I was watching the T.V. news and the announcer used two words that always bother me whenever reporters or T.V. news commentators use them.

 

First he called U.S. Citizens "Americans". This bothers me because Americans are actually anyone who is from either North or South America. So in reality he could be talking about Canadians, Venezuelans, Mexicans, etc. as they're Americans also.

 

Second he described buildings in an area as being "decimated". They misuse this word all the time using it in place of "destroyed" or "annihilated". Decimated means that only one tenth of something was destroyed, not the entirety of it.

 

Yes, I know both words are misused by almost everyone, but these reporters are supposed to be professionals in the use of words. They should know better.

 

 I did mention that being peeved by this was fairly stupid - but I can't help it.

 

So how about you?


I am my own bad companion

Dropkick is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 06-07-2012, 03:03 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Move of Ten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,157

I used to be peeved by people saying "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less", because the meaning they are attempting to convey is technically the latter, not the former. But I have since come to accept it as an idiom.

 

I must defend "American" on the basis that USAian sounds weird and the United States of America is the only country with "America" in its name.

 

Here is a stupid thing I'm peeved by. Or should I say a thing I'm stupidly peeved by? If my mom says "see you later" on the phone and I follow it up with "bye" she always follows it up with a "bye" of her own. "See you later" is a way of saying "bye", you don't have to say it again! I don't tell her this though, I just curse the heavens after I hang up.

Move of Ten is offline  
#3 Old 06-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Limes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cowtown
Posts: 1,349

Misuse of the word 'seen'.  You can not say "I seen that!"  I HAVE seen, or I SAW.  Not I SEEN.

 

I'm not a grammar nazi, and I don't even correct people when they say it, but it makes you sound like a hick, please stop. blank.gif

Limes is offline  
#4 Old 06-07-2012, 09:21 AM
...
 
Blobbenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 3,936
'bye' originally was short for 'God be with you(ye?)' I heard years ago.

Blobbenstein is offline  
#5 Old 06-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Move of Ten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

Misuse of the word 'seen'.  You can not say "I seen that!"  I HAVE seen, or I SAW.  Not I SEEN.

 

I'm not a grammar nazi, and I don't even correct people when they say it, but it makes you sound like a hick, please stop. blank.gif

 

"I seen" is grammatical in Southern American English dialects (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_American_English). Also, I don't see why people should be ashamed of being from rural areas (assuming that's what 'hick' means).

 

Edit: I'm taking this thread too seriously and forgetting that it's supposed to be about insignificant gripes. tongue3.gif  Don't mind me. Other people's grammar pet peeves tend to be my own pet peeve.

Move of Ten is offline  
#6 Old 06-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Impeach the gangster
 
Capstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,052

I dislike the use of the word, impacted, when what is meant is, affected. Is it because people can't differentiate between affect, and effect?


"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Capstan is offline  
#7 Old 06-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Ankle Biter
 
Poppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Central Virginia, USA
Posts: 9,333

I hate gum smacking.


It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Poppy is offline  
#8 Old 06-08-2012, 04:27 AM
Veggie Regular
 
mrsschu2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,299

MrSchu is habitually late.  It drives me crazy.


The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
mrsschu2u is offline  
#9 Old 06-09-2012, 04:13 AM
Beginner
 
Soyabean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 178

I find it annoying when people use the word "literally" and then say something figuratively after it...

I even heard that on a local news story about new traffic congestions plans, saying "the new meausres will literally eat up congestion in the city centre" :-o

 

Sometimes call my partner to try to arrange meeting up - and she'll be a bit rushed with carers (she's disabled) there doing stuff - and she'll start out saying "I can't talk for long, the carers are here doing ......." and carry on to tell me what's going on, details of any things that have gone wrong that morning.... tell me about how she's in a rush to do this or that, and how she'll have to be quick because of...........   and she'll end up talking for 4 or 5 minutes telling me that she can only talk for a minute, making the conversation last a lot longer than if she hadn't explained to me how she hasn't got time to talk :)

 

When someone asks if i saw X or Y on tv, and I say "No, I don't really watch much on tv", and they then take that as a cue to decribe to me in detail the program that I don't watch....

Soyabean is offline  
#10 Old 06-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular
 
peacefulveglady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicagoland IL area
Posts: 2,272

Soybean, my mom does that with a few shows when i call her at primetime hours, I told her I didn't get into those type of shows. 

peacefulveglady is offline  
#11 Old 06-12-2012, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular
 
desert-dweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 691

Chewing with your mouth open.

 

Talking with your mouth full.

desert-dweller is offline  
#12 Old 06-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Chrysalis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,101

I don't like it when people act like drama queens and think they are so funny by doing it. It's not funny it's immature.


It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
Chrysalis is offline  
#13 Old 06-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Ankle Biter
 
Poppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Central Virginia, USA
Posts: 9,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert-dweller View Post

Chewing with your mouth open.

 

Talking with your mouth full.

 

 

Amen!!!


It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Poppy is offline  
#14 Old 06-13-2012, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular
 
peacefulveglady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicagoland IL area
Posts: 2,272

People honking to get someone out of their house while waiting in the car for them, with cell phones we have now you can call the

person and not honk, The honking I don't like is early morning and in middle of the night.

peacefulveglady is offline  
#15 Old 06-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Persephone104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

Misuse of the word 'seen'.  You can not say "I seen that!"  I HAVE seen, or I SAW.  Not I SEEN.

 

I'm not a grammar nazi, and I don't even correct people when they say it, but it makes you sound like a hick, please stop. blank.gif


That bothers me, too!

Also the your/you're thing. It bothers me when I see it on a sign or something and it's incorrect.


"Ugliness, if given a powerful voice, can be beautiful."

-Martha Graham

Persephone104 is offline  
#16 Old 06-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Beginner
 
Ginariffic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 129

My pet peeve is when people get upset over you're/your and there/they're/there and similar mistakes on the internet. The exception to this being on edited articles and websites. Most people posting are doing ten other things, tired because it's 2AM, or just have a slip of the mind. Then someone inevitably comes along and tells them that they are stupid.In the first place, it obviously isn't formal writing if you are using contractions in the first place. Secondly, people say this with no idea of any impairments the poster or writer may have. I have two friends who struggle with spelling things out not because they are not intelligent, or even because they couldn't tell you these things or differentiate out loud. Something just gets lost in the act of writing or typing it.

I frequently misspell things online, not because I couldn't write them out, but because I have Tourette syndrome and my fingers will type certain keys first if I tic. I try to catch most of it, but then some idiot will come along and tell me I'm stupid because I accidentally mixed two or three letters or I missed a key or something. /RANT

Ginariffic is offline  
#17 Old 06-14-2012, 12:06 PM
Newbie
 
Equu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert-dweller View Post

Chewing with your mouth open.

 

Talking with your mouth full.

 

God yes.

 

I also hate it when people eat noisily/messily. Lots of slurping, smacking, etc. Urgh!


 

Man is the only creature that consumes without producing. He does not give milk, he does not lay eggs, he is too weak to pull the plough, he cannot run fast enough to catch rabbits. Yet he is lord of all the animals.
-George Orwell
 
Equu is offline  
#18 Old 06-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Move of Ten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginariffic View Post

My pet peeve is when people get upset over you're/your and there/they're/there and similar mistakes on the internet. The exception to this being on edited articles and websites. Most people posting are doing ten other things, tired because it's 2AM, or just have a slip of the mind. Then someone inevitably comes along and tells them that they are stupid.In the first place, it obviously isn't formal writing if you are using contractions in the first place. Secondly, people say this with no idea of any impairments the poster or writer may have. I have two friends who struggle with spelling things out not because they are not intelligent, or even because they couldn't tell you these things or differentiate out loud. Something just gets lost in the act of writing or typing it.

I frequently misspell things online, not because I couldn't write them out, but because I have Tourette syndrome and my fingers will type certain keys first if I tic. I try to catch most of it, but then some idiot will come along and tell me I'm stupid because I accidentally mixed two or three letters or I missed a key or something. /RANT

 

Yeah, I don't understand why people get upset over spelling and grammar issues unless they genuinely cause confusion. The purpose of language is to convey meaning, so if the meaning was understood then there should be no issue.

Move of Ten is offline  
#19 Old 06-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Persephone104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

 

Yeah, I don't understand why people get upset over spelling and grammar issues unless they genuinely cause confusion. The purpose of language is to convey meaning, so if the meaning was understood then there should be no issue.


I don't get upset if it's something informal on the internet or whatever.

But if it's on a sign or some professional/edited piece of work, then it does bother me.


"Ugliness, if given a powerful voice, can be beautiful."

-Martha Graham

Persephone104 is offline  
#20 Old 06-15-2012, 03:18 AM
 
GingerFoxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyabean View Post

I find it annoying when people use the word "literally" and then say something figuratively after it...

I second this. Really poor grammar irks the heck out of me. On a lesser note, it bugs me when people say "sherbert" instead of "sherbet" There is only one R in the word, and people love to pronounce it like there are two... my relatives do this at holiday gatherings when the punch is being made. There's no point trying to correct them...

GingerFoxx is offline  
#21 Old 07-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Beginner
 
Patty J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Federal Way, WA
Posts: 110

p#1: "Do you mind if I ask you a question?"

p#2: "Yes"

p#1: "Thanks - my question is..."

 

???

 

I see this on T.V. all the time. If someone says yes, it means they DO mind!

Patty J is offline  
#22 Old 07-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Beginner
 
everblue1037's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 113

The grammer thing with their there and they're and the you thing i hate it when people correct me about it. And my spelling really i know my spelling sucks i dont need you to tell me about it. I'm dyexlic so i cant always get everything right. I have never and will never get the stupied there thing right. I write fan fictions despite my grammer and spelling sucking to help improve it. It has helped so much but when i post something and somone comes back with this and that is wrong i just want to go off on them. 

 

Another thing is when people say like every other word. Really you cant find a better way to express yourself. Come on expand your vocablary some you sound like a idoit. I really hate it when people think that just because you have a southern accent your stupied. But i cant get over the look on there face when they see that i actually have a brain even though sometimes i have a thick accent. 

 

Last one I hate littering and wastfulness. Especally when a trash can is right there and you leave your trash somone where. Is it really so hard to put your trash in the can or drop it in the recyling bin. This drove me nuts while in college we had trash cans everywhere along with recyling bins. The wastfulness is mostly things like water leaving it on while you brush your teeth an old room mate did this drove me up the wall. And lights too same room mate did it as well. i have alot of them but those are the ones that drive me nuts and happen the most. 


Life isn't about forgetting or tuning out. It's about learning to live with and accept your worst mistakes. They are what make us all, even the gods, human. ~ Acheron

everblue1037 is offline  
#23 Old 07-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 1,189

People trying to start a business of taking your pet peeves for a walk. Really gets my goat, cause my goat doesn't like walking with my pet peeves.

Empty_Shell is offline  
#24 Old 07-24-2012, 04:10 AM
Veggie Regular
 
lavenderboozer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Shell View Post

People trying to start a business of taking your pet peeves for a walk. Really gets my goat, cause my goat doesn't like walking with my pet peeves.

I certainly hope they are leashed. Nothing worse than goats and peeves running rampant through the city.

lavenderboozer is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off