Anyone else child free by choice? - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 07-15-2012, 11:45 AM

I don't want to have children. It's just not something I'm interested in. I don't dislike kids, i like them well enough, and I think childbirth and pregnancy are interesting/fascinating, but it's just not for me.

I don't consider myself misanthropic at all, I really love having close friends and relationships, but having a lot of time alone is really important to me. I've tried to force myself out of this for the benefit of others but its been terrible for my mental health and bad for my relationships so now I try to be true to what I need and my life and relationships are better for it, and being a parent doesn't fit in with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 07-15-2012, 12:20 PM

---

#63 Old 07-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Beginner

It's nice reading this, my friends and family think I'm a freak!

I have no intention of ever having children. I don’t hate them, but I can’t say I particularly like them either. I tolerate them and really do love family members and friends kids, but in all honestly I’m so relieved when the parents peel their child’s sticky fingers off me and take them home.

Luckily for me, my boyfriend doesn’t want any either. I want to spend my life with him, friends and family. Travel and spend my money on junk and wake up not knowing what the day will bring. Things that can’t really be done with the responsibility of a little person to look after.

All the normal maternal instincts and natural love most woman for children, I have for animals instead.

I love my friends. So I don't eat them
I love animals. So I don't eat them either
#64 Old 07-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post

I've only met a few other people like me that know that they never want children, and find it exhausting and aggravating to be around them. Anyone else here the same? My partners brother and 3 year old nephew are staying with us for a few days - its been less than 24 hours and I'm already struggling with the constant high pitch baby babble. I was looking forward to tonight when partner and I were meant to be going to my friends wedding reception - a few drinks and a child-free zone = bliss. But he's just said no, he wants to drink all afternoon and evening with his brother so I am going alone and will have to drive myself and drink lemonade all night. Great. 

I know I am getting grumpy and snappy with everyone and I hate it. I just can't stand being around kids for more than an hour. Bring on my 12 hour shift at work tomorrow, finally a bit of peace!

That bites, and I think you'll find *many* on here who are childress on purpose.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#65 Old 07-18-2012, 03:22 AM
Beginner

Yep, I know I don't want children...I think I am the only person I know in real life who doesn't!

#66 Old 07-20-2012, 07:32 PM

I don't want kids, it's weird to hear other people say it. Everyone always dreams of growing up, getting married and having kids ever since they're little. I never wanted any of that! At all! I also don't think you should have kids right now when there are so many who are without a family. I understand why you want biological ones, but really. There's nothing wrong with adopting in little jewels who are already here. smiley.gif

And to be honest, that is the only thing I would ever consider: adoption. I don't see myself actually doing it, but maybe, someday, looong into the future, I MIGHT.. consider it. But probably not. I don't want kids.

"Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering" - Star Wars
#67 Old 07-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm 35 years old and I don't want kids. There was a time when I wasn't so certain, maybe when I was 30 or so and a few of our friends got kids. However, it seems the older I get the more I'm certain that I don't want kids. My husband is 45 years old and he isn't sure if he wants kids or not.

I say one "I don't want to" and an "I'm not sure" are not the best place to start from when it comes to parenthood.

I'm an aunt since December and that's fine for me.

#68 Old 07-24-2012, 01:31 PM

I didn't want kids for a really long time.  I am 38 now and until I married my husband at 32 I felt that I didn't want to have any kids.  Now I think I want to have one.  We aren't trying and aren't preventing so if it happens then we will have one.  If it doesn't happen then we will be okay too.  People think I am weird for that attitude and also because I am dead set that I want only one.  I love it when people say things like "you really want an only child?  They are awful people." I reply "my husband I are both only children." We are only children and I like to see them squirm.  baby.gif

I respect everyone's decision whether they want to reproduce or not, however I am not sure about the people with mega large families. 

#69 Old 07-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I was until now lol, or approximately 2 months from now, although i do find others seem more excited than i am because i never wanted any.

#70 Old 08-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

My friends and family also look at me with pity in their eyes, as if to say "oh, that poor girl... She just doesn't realize what it is she wants!"... brood.gif

I actually don't even want a girlfriend either... I'm as introverted as they come and prefer my own company. I don't mean to say that I don't like being around people, but only for a limited time. Having to spend 24/7 with a partner/kids just sounds like living hell to me... Dogs or kitties will be my only children! 

#71 Old 08-15-2012, 01:25 PM

I'm 45 and married for almost 20 years - never wanted kids, never had any. And I'm a pediatric nurse, so it's not that I don't like kids. I just like coming home to a nice quiet house with my husband and my furkids. I have 8 hours of kids at work, so didn't need them at home as well - have not regretted my decision ever and I doubt I'll be getting preggers at my age. =)

#72 Old 08-15-2012, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't have a problem with children and would think of having them under different circumstances, but given the overpopulation problem we have today I just can't do it. Modern civilization is much more destructive than it used to be, so even vegetarians cause a lot of suffering towards animals. I'd feel like I'm promoting animal cruelty by having children.

#73 Old 08-18-2012, 06:19 PM
Banned

Cat/Dog armpit smell not an issue at all. Teenage human armpit smell, the 1st step to subway suicide.

#74 Old 09-25-2012, 04:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I dont have kids and i never want to have kids in part because i am a Gnostic, i could never bring another person into this Hellish existence! 

#75 Old 09-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm only young, but at 21 I don't believe I want children. I physically can't have children myself due to problems with my ovaries, and having them isn't a really big issue for me. I am however gay, and if in the future a partner of mine did want children, and it meant a lot to her/ she could carry them, and or adopt/foster then I would be okay with it. I don't dislike children, I just don't want to physically have them myself and don't have a strong desire to have them. But if it's what my partner wanted then I would never deny them. 

#76 Old 09-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

i would happily adopt/foster if i ever want kids.

#77 Old 09-29-2012, 05:54 PM
Banned

Human desire to procreate = egotism
#78 Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Shell View Post

Human desire to procreate = egotism
Perhaps in some cases it is egotism, but the desire to procreate and carry on one's genes in the the species seems to exist in all types of creatures.
#79 Old 10-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Perhaps in some cases it is egotism, but the desire to procreate and carry on one's genes in the the species seems to exist in all types of creatures.

Maybe you're a ****ing breeder ?

I mean, humans knowing the impact of it (that includes *special* you)

#80 Old 10-18-2012, 09:48 AM

My fiance and I do not want kids, but if it happened accidently it wouldn't be the end of the world either.

I want a pig.

#81 Old 10-18-2012, 10:14 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe you're a ****ing breeder ?

I mean, humans knowing the impact of it (that includes *special* you)

I don't know what this means, but since I guess you're swearing at me for some reason, I guess I don't want to know anyway.
#82 Old 10-18-2012, 03:29 PM

I love children, I like spending time with children, and I love returning them to their parents at the end of the day. But more power to those people who decide to have kids. Btw, they don't smell bad! They're washable!

Birthing is not appealing to me. The story is that the day my mom gave me the full biological explanation on child birth, I declared I would never have any biological kids. But people can adopt or foster if they're anti birthing. That could make quite a few children happy.

The downside of reading this thread is, that most vegans seem to be against having kids, which in turn means we're a dying breed. Instead, shouldn't we all have 5-6 vegan children to continue our vegan legacy? tongue3.gif
#83 Old 10-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalia View Post

The downside of reading this thread is, that most vegans seem to be against having kids, which in turn means we're a dying breed. Instead, shouldn't we all have 5-6 vegan children to continue our vegan legacy? tongue3.gif

None of us had vegan parents and we became vegan.  In fact, you could turn more people vegan by spending your time and resources doing activism and education than you could by putting all that energy and resources into just one or two of your own children who *may* choose to remain vegan.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#84 Old 10-19-2012, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalia View Post

None of us had vegan parents and we became vegan.  In fact, you could turn more people vegan by spending your time and resources doing activism and education than you could by putting all that energy and resources into just one or two of your own children who *may* choose to remain vegan.

None? Nope. There are actually some people who were raised vegan.

And people raised vegan are far more likely to stay vegan than people who go vegan later in life.

Moreover, considering the fact that most vegans do not advocate veganism at all and would be unwilling to leaflet, it's not entirely unreasonable to suggest that if our goal was to increase our numbers then having "5 or 6 children each" would achieve that goal. This strategy has in fact been used by many religions and is proven effective at the task of increasing numbers or percentages of people who believe similarly.

I certainly agree that it's wiser to be a vegan advocate than "breeder of vegans" but I disagree with the common theme I see in these discussions that pretends that parents have no influence over their children and it's just some sort of crap shoot as to whether or not our kids will stay vegan.

It's surprising really, that anyone could think they'd have more success instilling compassion for animals in complete strangers than in their own children!
#85 Old 10-19-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:

It means I'll be happy to make your head and chest way more full of led (lead) than your boots.

That's beyond inappropriate. Empty shell indeed.
#86 Old 10-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

Quote:

I don't know what this means, but since I guess you're swearing at me for some reason, I guess I don't want to know anyway.

It means I'll be happy to make your head and chest way more full of led (lead) than your boots.

Is this a threat?
#87 Old 10-20-2012, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Yeah, uh, can we not make weirdly angry and threatening posts for no apparent reason? That would be great....

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#88 Old 10-23-2012, 02:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

None? Nope. There are actually some people who were raised vegan.

Sure there are.  But I said "us" - and I can't seem to recall anyone on this board who was raised vegan.  There may be someone, but the numbers must be so small as to be unmemorable.  As time goes on that may change, as there seems to be more people raising vegans now.

Quote:
I certainly agree that it's wiser to be a vegan advocate than "breeder of vegans" but I disagree with the common theme I see in these discussions that pretends that parents have no influence over their children

Well I didn't say they have no influence over their children, although of course the children may not grow up to remain veg - and I have met people like that.

I merely said/meant, and I think you would agree, that if one's goal is to increase vegans, it's more efficient to be an activist than to hope to breed your own vegan army.

I sometimes feel you work on oversimplifying and misunderstanding my arguments, in order to make your own.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page